Advice for My New Deck

hunter328

Hi all.  Some of you know me, but for those who don’t, I’m a relatively new player to PTCGO.  I’ve been playing now for maybe two months, a match or three 4 or 5 days a week.  So I think I’ve gotten a good grasp on the rules and gameplay, especially when using theme decks, but I’m still struggling with building my own decks.  After a lot of good advice on the fundamentals of deck building, (thanks again, Sakura) I built a water deck and had a really great win with it on my first try.  But I’d love to get some advice on how to tweak it to make it better.  Trainer cards, which to use and how many, are where I think I struggle the most.  Any help will be great, but Trainer help especially.

I’ll post my deck below.  One note, I’d like it to stay Standard legal.  My next deck I may try Extended.

I guess I should mention, I’ve only got 2503 cards (1210 unique) so I might not have some key cards.  I do however have 100 tradable packs (mostly SwSh and CosEc).  Maybe if you think a particular ability is needed and it’s found on a really expensive card, if there’s a cheaper although less powerful card that’s similar, you could mention both.

That said, any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

And if my deck is actually terrible, feel free to say so, it won’t hurt my feelings, it'll teach me to build better.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 3 Keldeo V SSH 53
* 4 Mantine SSH 52
* 3 Phione CEC 57
* 4 Snom SSH 63
* 4 Frosmoth SSH 64

##Trainer Cards - 26

* 1 Pokémon Fan Club FCO 107
* 1 Marnie SSH 169
* 3 Crushing Hammer EPO 92
* 1 Mars UPR 154
* 2 Air Balloon SSH 156
* 3 Team Yell Grunt SSH 184
* 1 Fisherman BKT 136
* 1 Pokémon Center Lady SSH 176
* 1 Poké Kid SSH 173
* 1 Judge BKT 143
* 1 Chaotic Swell CEC 187
* 1 U-Turn Board UNM 211
* 1 Faba LOT 173
* 3 Great Ball BCR 129
* 4 Looker UPR 126
* 1 Misty's Favor UNM 202

##Energy - 16

* 16 Water Energy XYEnergy 9

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Wow, it worked!  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hunter328 said:

My next deck I may try Extended.

Oh, good luck with that.  Let us know if you decide to stick with Pokémon and try Expanded. ;)

(Is it called "Extended" in non-English speaking countries?  Here that refers to a different, well-known TCG...)

You might consider Articuno (SM - Team Up 32/181) to use as an opener.  Not for attacking, but because of its Ability.  Of course, you'll probably want to hold off doing that until you have better Trainer options.  You know, Cynthia, Professor's Research, Quick Ball, etc.  Those three are available in Theme Decks, for the record.

I personally see a lot of stuff that I don't like 😉

I don't like,

Pokemon Fan Club

Crushing 🔨

Mars

Team yell grunt

Pokemon Center Lady

Poke Kid

Great Ball

and Looker

The 🔨, Team yell Grunt, and Mars just make me think disruption. That's not the point for your deck.

Pokemon Center Lady, No. In the format that we are in today, it wouldn't be to hard for your Pokemon to get OHKO 'd anyway.

Pokemon Fan Club is meh. Definently lose the Poke kid. Club is better than kid anyways.

Great Ball is bad. Replace with quick ball, evolution incense, definently Pokemon Communication.

Looker is pretty bad to. Grab some Professor's Research, Cynthia, another Marnie etc. There are way better options for draw support.

Too much energy as well. Tune down to like 13.

Use energy retrieval, switch, and especially Viridian Forest. You need to be able to switch back and forth and properly manage your energy.

Mantine, and Phione no. Replace with Palkia GX, Wailord and Karp GX, and maybe even try a Keldeo GX or Suicune GX as a backup. I would also try a Volcanion Prism. I understand that you probably can't get Jirachi (TU) but if you could it would help. If you get any Jirachi, add an escape board for each one. Dedenne GX would be helpful too.

People seem to run Pokemon Catcher in here as well. Consider using a Ordinary Rod.

Whew! I hope this doesn't seem harsh, but this is for the success of your deck XD.

• Upvote 3

There's lots of basic Pokemon so I would maybe add more cards like Pokemon fan club (maybe bump it up to 2 if u have anymore?)

Edited by Lucarlrio
  • Downvote 1

Yeah..., after several more games with this deck it’s become evident that my big, awesome win was also a big, awesome fluke.

I really like how these particular Pokémon interact with each other, with Mantine grabbing the energy, Frosmoth getting it to Keldeo, and Keldeo providing the offense.

However the more I play the more I get a sense that so many cool card interactions and the fun decks they could make, would only ever be playable if they were the basis of a theme deck or something casual, but playing them in regular constructed modes seems, sadly, pretty pointless because of GX, V, V Max, Tag-Team etc. cards that combine such high damage output with huge health and really often don’t cost much more, if any, energy to use.

I’d love to see a new, more casual mode introduced to the game.  Maybe something that limits the number of cards of the types of those I mentioned.  Not that those cards aren’t fun to play (I’m sure I’ll enjoy them if I ever get enough of them) it’s just that (and I guess this just comes from being new to the game) the differences between what my expectations of what the game would be like (both from looking through the cards and from playing the video games where evolving your Pokémon plays such a big role) vs how it actually plays is so different.  I wish that the evolution mechanic was more of a focus and less of, I don’t know, almost a drawback.

But I shall not be deterred!  After all, and, I’ll admit, I’ve been reluctant to mention this in my previous posts on these forums, as I wanted to make my own acquaintances and not have my fame and reputation make them for me (or draw mobs of fans) but I am the current and reigning Pokémon Trainer Champion in every region from Kanto to Galar.  Seriously, there are statue/plaque/monument things proclaiming exactly that (just walk up to them and B button them).  
So, with my possessing the heart of such a champion, I will persevere and adapt until victory is mine!  Or at least until I win like maybe one out of three.

Seriously though, thanks to all for the great suggestions!  I will try them out.

Later

Aww I feel like I'm taking all the glory xD But still, I'm glad you're finding my advice of use. Anyways, on to the deck list.

I like that the Pokemon list looks pretty well focused, although it could still use some modifications. 

• I think that the only Pokemon that needs to be axed altogether is the SSH Mantine. I know that searching for 3 energies seems good, but the problem is that you can realistically only use that attack on your 1st turn and only if you go 2nd. If I had to give you a hierarchy, if there's an effect that can be performed by both Trainers and Pokemon, you should almost always prefer (in order): 1) Item Cards 2) Supporters 3) Pokemon Attack. The reasoning for this is that 1) Items have an unlimited use and don't end your turn 2) Supporters are once per turn and don't end your turn 3) Pokemon attacks are once per turn and end your turn. There are exceptions to this (like Steven's Resolve, which is a Supporter that lets you search for any 3 cards at the cost of ending your turn), but for the most part cards work like I described. Your game plan in this deck is having the Frosmoth up and running by turn 2, which allows you to start doing damage by your second turn; spending your turns beyond the 1st one using an attack that just gives you energies might put you behind in prizes and, in the worst case scenario, make the game unwinnable. You currently have a few Trainer options that can also bring 1-3 water energies to your hand, and I think those should replace the Mantine. For Supporters, Lady and Misty & Lorelei are options to pull energies from the deck. Soon, (as in, 2 weeks from now or so) Rebel Clash will come out and you'll have access to Full Bucket, an item card that lets you pull 2 water energy from the deck.
  • Keldeo V as a main attacker works pretty well. I think 3 is a good number too, so no problems there. You could consider experimenting with Lapras VMAX though, which has the same attack as Keldeo V but also has more HP and does 40 more base damage. That said, it does have 2 main disadvantages over Keldeo V: It's a Stage 1, meaning it's a little more clunky than Keldeo V, and it gives 3 Prizes instead of 2, which is pretty relevant against anything that isn't ADP. I'd say keep the deck focused on Keldeo V for now, and just keep the option of Lapras VMAX in the back of your head for a new deck in the future if you like how Keldeo V works and feel like trying something a little different.
  • Phione is a pretty good card since it gives you free gusting, but 3 is too many. The thing with Phione is that it recycles itself with its ability since it goes back to the deck rather than just sit in the bench or get discarded, so running 3 is overkill. Just 1 is all you need, but 2 would make sure that it isn't prized in most of your games (at the cost of increasing the chances that you're forced to start with it). I'd say 1-2 is fine.
  • I think that the 4-4 Frosmoth line can be reduced to 3-3. You obviously want to get the Frosmoth into play ASAP and also have a backup one in case the first one gets gusted and KO'd, but I think that a 3-3 line already accomplishes that. You need to test to see if 3-3 feels fine for you, but I personally feel like 3-3 is enough, so you could free up 2 spaces for more Trainers or maybe some techs.
  • One Pokemon you could consider running, even if it's just 1-2 of it, is Keldeo-GX. It's completely inmune to other Pokemon-GX, so it's certain to win you at least a few matchups (or at least help you buy time against some other matchups). With Pokemon V being printed now instead of Pokemon GX and the meta slowly shifting to VMAX, you won't get as much mileage out of it as you might have before SSH, and at some point it might just become completely obsolete before it even rotates out of Standard, but for the time being I think it's definitely worth it to run at least 1 of it as a tech against GX only decks that might not have an answer to Keldeo-GX
  • Another possibility for a tech is running 1 Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX because of its ability Invasion. Because you can only use Frosmoth's ability to attach energies to the bench, what you could do if you wanted to attach to your active Pokemon instead is to have DW Necrozma-GX go to the active with its ability, use Frosmoth on the Pokemon you want to charge, attach an Air Balloon to DW Necrozma-GX so it has free retreat and then retreat to the Pokemon you charged. In the old times you could do this with Keldeo-EX which had the ability Rush In (same effect as Invasion) which also doubled as an attacker since it has the same attack as Keldeo V and Lapras VMAX (albeit with a weaker scaling of only +20 damage for each water energy). Sadly you can't use DW Necrozma-GX to attack in this deck, but the retreating combo might make it worth using. 

I think that the trainers is where you need the most work. I'm not very well versed in Standard staples, but I'll tell you what I can. This is mostly just going to be a repeat of what Wings said, but here it goes:

• You don't need any of the control based cards. I think your deck has a clear and focused strategy of loading up a Keldeo V and hitting as hard as possible with it, and the disruption/control cards like Hammers, Mars and Team Yell Grunt don't really have any synergy with that strategy. I don't know what to think of the 1 Faba though. It's a much more flexible card than the other 3 and there's a much higher chance that it will see play in a game. I'm not a big fan of 1-of Supporters in Standard because it you draw it at the wrong time you'll probably have to discard it and you don't have VS Seekers to recycle them. Take that with a grain of salt though; as I said, I'm not a Standard player and it's possible 1-of Supporters are perfectly viable in Standard. So keeping the 1 Faba for now is OK.
  • Under the same logic of the hierarchy I spoke of earlier, Item cards that can search for Pokemon are preferable to Supporter cards that do the same, even if the Supporter's effect is slightly stronger. For this reason, Quick Balls (specially in a basic heavy deck like this one) are a must and replace Pokemon Fan Club and Poke Kid. You should run either Evolution Incense or Pokemon Communication in order to find your Frosmoth. PFC and Poke Kid simply aren't worth using up your only Supporter use of the turn when Item cards can do the same.
  • The 1 Marnie is good, but you could consider running 2 so that it's a little more likely that you draw it. I think you should remove the Judge and include that 2nd Marnie, since Judge is simply a weaker version of Marnie (Judge also gives your opponent 4 cards but only gives you 4 instead of the 5 that Marnie gives you).
  • Cards that only let you draw 3 cards are too weak to consider using over cards that let you draw 6 or 7. For this reason I think you should remove all of the Looker and instead include a mix of Professor's Research and Cynthia. A lot of newer players stay away from Professor's Research (and its predecessors Juniper and Sycamore) because they find discarding your whole hand to be too harsh of a condition, but the more you play this game the more you get used to discarding. Decks tend to run some amount of recovery cards like Ordinary Rod (and Fisherman in your case since you want the energies in your hand rather than the deck) which makes discarding less of a problem. Sometimes you'll get super unlucky and get a hand full of valuable cards you can't put into play immediately and a single Research as your only out, but it's really uncommon. I'd say 2-4 Research and 3-4 Cynthia should get the job done.
  • If you want to stick to the Chaotic Swells, consider running 2. That said, after giving it a bit of thought I realized that Viridian Forest is probably more optimal here since it lets you search for energy cards. 2-3 Should be a good number.
  • I actually don't think Great Ball is bad, but some combination of Quick Balls, Evolution Incense and Pokemon Communication would probably perform better since you actually have control over what you're going to find with them (vs Great Ball which can whiff even if you have a high Pokemon count). I think 4 Quick Balls and 2-3 Poke Coms should feel better than what you're currently using.
  • I think Misty's Favor just doesn't cut the mustard by virtue of the fact that it's a Supporter that searches for more Supporters, meaning that you'll never be able to use any of the cards you searched in the same turn you searched for them. Tbh I don't think that this card has any place on any deck other than Slowpoke & Psyduck GX decks that require you to discard Supporter cards from your hands.
  • Consider adding 1 Lady to your deck. I'm not a fan of the card, and I think that Full Bucket will be straight up better even if it only gives you 2 energies instead of 4, but for the time being it should help.
  • When it comes out, I guarantee you that 2 Boss' Orders will be normal to have on every deck, so try making some space for it in a couple more weeks. In the meantime you could try running some Pokemon Catchers. This is one of the cases where I would prefer the Supporter over the Item even though they basically have the same effect because Boss' Orders will work 100% of the times vs Catcher which has you flip a coin. You already have gusting in the form of Phione, but being able to actually choose what your opponent brings out next is just too powerful of an effect to pass up. 
  • The Pokemon Center Lady probably has to go. In most cases the 60 HP heal won't make a difference. There will be exceptional situations where you might have been able to tank 1 more hit with the PCL heal, but I don't think those will happen often enough to justify including it.
  • The 2 Air Balloon are perfectly fine. I don't think you need the U-Turn Board though. I mean, it's nice that it returns to your hand and all but it only reduces your retreat cost by 1 and you have Pokemon with a higher retreat cost than that. The Air Balloons + maybe some Switch cards should have you covered.
  • Include an Ordinary Rod two. Having the possibility to recover Pokemon and energies is always nice.

Not much to say about the energy count other than reduce it to 13-14. More than that won't make a difference and will only make you brick more often.

Finally, since you have a ton of packs, you're actually in a position to consider getting some TUP Jirachi. They make Standard decks flow a lot faster, but the fact that they're so expensive (something like 25 SSH packs a piece) might make you a bit reluctant to buy them. Heck, I myself am sitting on over 100 packs but I've yet to buy any Jirachi (although granted I already have 2 Dedenne-GX which also help you draw and I also play mostly on Expanded where Jirachi isn't really a big thing). Maybe you should start by changing the other things I mentioned though; I think that just by changing those things you'll notice a massive difference. If after that you still feel like you need more consistency, then consider the possibility of buying Jirachi or Dedenne-GX.

Phew... that took a while to write down xd anyways, I hope it helps.

Edited by Sakura150612
  • Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Sakura150612 said:

Aww I feel like I'm taking all the glory xD But still, I'm glad you're finding my advice of use. Anyways, on to the deck list.

I like that the Pokemon list looks pretty well focused, although it could still use some modifications. 

• I think that the only Pokemon that needs to be axed altogether is the SSH Mantine. I know that searching for 3 energies seems good, but the problem is that you can realistically only use that attack on your 1st turn and only if you go 2nd. If I had to give you a hierarchy, if there's an effect that can be performed by both Trainers and Pokemon, you should almost always prefer (in order): 1) Item Cards 2) Supporters 3) Pokemon Attack. The reasoning for this is that 1) Items have an unlimited use and don't end your turn 2) Supporters are once per turn and don't end your turn 3) Pokemon attacks are once per turn and end your turn. There are exceptions to this (like Steven's Resolve, which is a Supporter that lets you search for any 3 cards at the cost of ending your turn), but for the most part cards work like I described. Your game plan in this deck is having the Frosmoth up and running by turn 2, which allows you to start doing damage by your second turn; spending your turns beyond the 1st one using an attack that just gives you energies might put you behind in prizes and, in the worst case scenario, make the game unwinnable. You currently have a few Trainer options that can also bring 1-3 water energies to your hand, and I think those should replace the Mantine. For Supporters, Lady and Misty & Lorelei are options to pull energies from the deck. Soon, (as in, 2 weeks from now or so) Rebel Clash will come out and you'll have access to Full Bucket, an item card that lets you pull 2 water energy from the deck.
  • Keldeo V as a main attacker works pretty well. I think 3 is a good number too, so no problems there. You could consider experimenting with Lapras VMAX though, which has the same attack as Keldeo V but also has more HP and does 40 more base damage. That said, it does have 2 main disadvantages over Keldeo V: It's a Stage 1, meaning it's a little more clunky than Keldeo V, and it gives 3 Prizes instead of 2, which is pretty relevant against anything that isn't ADP. I'd say keep the deck focused on Keldeo V for now, and just keep the option of Lapras VMAX in the back of your head for a new deck in the future if you like how Keldeo V works and feel like trying something a little different.
  • Phione is a pretty good card since it gives you free gusting, but 3 is too many. The thing with Phione is that it recycles itself with its ability since it goes back to the deck rather than just sitting in the bench or becoming discarded, so running 3 is overkill. Just 1 is all you need, but 2 would make sure that it isn't prized in most of your games (at the cost of increasing the chances that you're forced to start with it). I'd say 1-2 is fine.
  • I think that the 4-4 Frosmoth line can be reduced to 3-3. You obviously want to get the Frosmoth gets into play ASAP and that you have a backup in case the first one gets gusted and KO'd, but I think that a 3-3 line already accomplishes that. You need to test to see if 3-3 feels fine for you, but I personally feel like 3-3 is enough, so you could free up 2 spaces for more Trainers or maybe some techs.
  • One Pokemon you could consider running, even if it's just 1-2 of it, is Keldeo-GX. It's completely inmune to other Pokemon-GX, so it's certain to win you at least a few matchups (or at least help you buy time against some other matchups). With Pokemon V being printed now instead of Pokemon GX and the meta slowly shifting to VMAX, you won't get as much mileage out of it as you might have before SSH, and at some point it might just become completely obsolete before it even rotates out of Standard, but for the time being I think it's definitely running at least 1 of it as a tech against GX only decks that might not have an answer to Keldeo-GX
  • Another possibility for a tech is running 1 Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX because of its ability Invasion. Because you can only use Frosmoth's ability to attach energies to the bench, what you could do if you wanted to attach to your active Pokemon instead is to have DW Necrozma-GX go to the active with its ability, use Frosmoth on the Pokemon you want to charge, attach an Air Balloon to DW Necrozma-GX so it has free retreat and then retreat to the Pokemon you charged. In the old times you could do this with Keldeo-EX which had the ability Rush In (same effect as Invasion) which also doubled as an attacker since it has the same attack as Keldeo V and Lapras VMAX (albeit with a weaker scaling of only +20 damage for each water energy). Sadly you can't use DW Necrozma-GX to attack in this deck, but the retreating combo might make it worth using. 

I think that the trainers is where you need the most work. I'm not very well versed in Standard staples, but I'll tell you what I can. This is mostly just going to be a repeat of what Wings said, but here it goes:

• You don't need any of the control based cards. I think your deck has a clear and focused strategy of loading up a Keldeo V and hitting as hard as possible with it, and the disruption/ control cards like Hammers, Mars and Team Yell Grunt don't really have any synergy with that strategy. I don't know what to think of the 1 Faba though. It's a much more flexible card than the other 3 and there's a much higher chance that it will see play in a game. I'm not a big fan of 1-of Supporters in Standard because it you draw it at the wrong time you'll probably have to discard it and you don't have VS Seekers to recycle them. Take that with a grain of salt though; as I said, I'm not a Standard player and it's possible 1-of Supporters are perfectly viable in Standard.
  • Under the same logic of the hierarchy I spoke of earlier, Item cards that can search for Pokemon are preferable to Supporter cards that do the same, even if the Supporter's effect is slightly stronger. For this reason, Quick Balls (specially in a basic heavy deck like this one) are a must and replace Pokemon Fan Club and Poke Kid. You should run either Evolution Incense or Pokemon Communication in order to find your Frosmoth. PFC and Poke Kid simply aren't worth using up your only Support use of the turn when Item cards can do the same.
  • The 1 Marnie is good, but you could consider running 2 so that it's a little more likely that you draw it. I think you should remove the Judge and include that 2nd Marnie, since Judge is simply a weaker version of Marnie (Judge also gives your opponent 4 cards but only gives you 4 instead of the 5 that Marnie gives you).
  • Cards that only let you draw 3 cards are too weak to consider using over cards that let you draw 6 or 7. For this reason I think you should remove all of the Looker and instead include a mix of Professor's Research and Cynthia. A lot of newer players stay away from Professor's Research (and its predecessors Juniper and Sycamore) because they find discarding your whole hand too harsh of a condition, but the more you play this game the more you get used to discarding. Decks tend to run some amount of recovery cards like Ordinary Rod (and Fisherman in your case since you want the energies in your hand rather than the deck) which makes discarding less of a problem. Sometimes you'll get super unlucky and get a hand full of valuable cards you can't put in play immediately and a single Research as your only out, but it's really uncommon. I'd say 2-4 Research and 3-4 Cynthia should get the job done.
  • I'd say definitely run 2 Chaotic Swell. 1 is OK but a little inconsistent. From what I've tested in my own decks, 2 seems like a pretty good number.
  • I actually don't think Great Ball is bad, but some combination of Quick Balls, Evolution Incense and Pokemon Communication would probably perform better since you actually have control over what you're going to find with them (vs Great Ball which can whiff even if you have a high Pokemon count). I think 4 Quick Balls and 2-3 Poke Coms should feel better than what you're currently using.
  • I think Misty's Favor just doesn't cut the mustard by virtue of the fact that it's a Supporter that searches of more Supporters, meaning that you'll never be able to use any of the cards you searched in the same turn you searched for them. Tbh I don't think that this card has any place on any deck other than Slowpoke & Psyduck GX decks that require you to discard Supporter cards from your hands.
  • Consider adding 1 Lady to your deck. I'm not a fan of the card, and I think that Full Bucket will be straight up better even if it only gives you 2 energies instead of 4, but for the time being it should help.
  • When it comes out, I guarantee you that 2 Boss' Orders will be normal to have on every deck, so try making some space for it in a couple more weeks. In the meantime you could try running some Pokemon Catchers. This is one of the cases where I would prefer the Supporter over the Item even though they basically have the same effect because Boss' Orders will work 100% of the times vs Catcher which has you flip a coin.
  • The Pokemon Center Lady probably has to go. In most cases the 60 HP heal won't make a difference. There will be exceptional situations where you might have been able to tank 1 more hit with the PCL heal, but I don't think those will happen often enough to justify including it.
  • The 2 Air Balloon are perfectly fine. I don't think you need the U-Turn Board though. I mean, it's nice that it returns to your hand an all but it only reduces your retreat cost by 1 and you have Pokemon with a higher retreat cost than that. The Air Balloons + maybe some Switch cards should have you covered.
  • Include an Ordinary Rod two. Having the possibility to recover Pokemon and energies is always nice.

Not much to say about the energy count other than reduce it to 13-14. More than that won't make a difference and will only make you brick more often.

Finally, since you have a ton of packs, you're actually in a position to consider getting some TUP Jirachi. They make Standard decks flow a lot faster, but the fact that they're so expensive (something like 25 SSH packs a piece) might make you a bit reluctant to buy them. Heck, I myself am sitting on over 100 packs but I've yet to buy any Jirachi (although granted I already have 2 Dedenne-GX which also help you draw and I also play mostly on Expanded where Jirachi isn't really a big thing). Maybe you should start by changing the other things I mentioned though; I think that just by changing those things you'll notice a massive difference. If after that you still feel like you need more consistency, then consider the possibility of buying Jirachi or Dedenne-GX.

Phew... that took a while to write down xd anyways, I hope it helps.

I just, I just don't have time to right stuff like this...XD

You deserve the glory Sak. You have always been one of those people that helps new players and gives them nice lengthy advice. @hunter328(sorry, can't think of a nickname XD), keeps "praising" you for a reason.

As long as I have been here (not very long), you have always been nice to have around. And trust me, taking breaks from the game is no problem. You deserve them 😉

There is one thing though XD. I still think that he shouldn't get Jirachi until Rebel Clash is released. If I were him though I would probably get some though XD. Maybe I don't agree because I have been lucky enough to salvage two of them. Either way @hunter328, you should eventually get some Jirachi.

1 hour ago, WingsofFire1014 said:

I just, I just don't have time to right stuff like this...XD

You deserve the glory Sak. You have always been one of those people that helps new players and gives them nice lengthy advice. @hunter328(sorry, can't think of a nickname XD), keeps "praising" you for a reason.

As long as I have been here (not very long), you have always been nice to have around. And trust me, taking breaks from the game is no problem. You deserve them 😉

There is one thing though XD. I still think that he shouldn't get Jirachi until Rebel Clash is released. If I were him though I would probably get some though XD. Maybe I don't agree because I have been lucky enough to salvage two of them. Either way @hunter328, you should eventually get some Jirachi.

Hey, thank you Wings :) It feels nice to know that what I do is appreciated, and it's fun for me too to help out new players so I do it gladly. 

Yeah, buying a Jirachi or a Dedenne-GX is a big decision, so waiting for a little before making a choice is probably smarter. Honestly, I'd like to wait until at least we hear news of the next rotation before getting some, since if we follow the usual rotation pattern TUP is right at the cutoff. TUP will probably still be inside the Standard in the 2020-2021 rotation, but I'd be mega sad if for whatever reason it just barely missed the cut and then the Jirachi price plummeted because it's nowhere near as popular in Expanded. Because of the pandemic though it's very likely that, even if TUP did rotate on the next rotation, the 2020-2021 will be delayed anyways. Idk, I'm conflicted on what to advice people at the moment on whether to obtain Jirachi or not. I'm holding off because I'm mostly an Expanded player, but for someone who only plays Standard it might be worth it if they have the packs to spare (which Hunter currently has, but he'd be left with near 0 packs to buy anything else). I think it's an option for him to consider after he's tried the more fundamental (and cheaper xd) modifications that we've suggested.

• Upvote 1

Wow, so much good info.  I haven’t gone through it all yet (so I’ll probably comment more later once I do) but from what I’ve seen it’s a lot of good ideas.

I checked my collection and found I’ve opened all of 1 team up packs (I searched filtered rares red stars, etc) and you know what, it’s Jirachi.  It’s not tradable, so it must’ve come from a reward pack.  Pretty cool, huh?

Some of you all’s suggestions  I actually would have done originally, like another Marni instead of Judge, but I was going with what I had.  Most of the stuff where there’s only one of a card, like Marni, Faba, that Stadium, I’d have added more if I had them.  That said, the advice even on that is exactly what I wanted, because it tells me the ones you suggested to add more of are worth trading my packs for, whereas before I wasn’t even sure if they were the right cards to use.

One quick question, is there a place to play the unlimited format in the game?  I spent like an hour last night building an unlimited deck to do a quest reward, then found there was no place I could find to play it.  Not that it would’ve been any good, but I thought it’d be cool to try (I saw a card I had, an Uknown, that lets you win the game if you have 35 or more cards in your hand.  I only had one, so it was basically just that card, trainers that let you draw cards, and some big health Pokémon.)

Oh yeah, on another card I saw, are there any decks that use, I think it’s Sargent Surge (lets you play 3 supporters) and Misty that draws 2-3 supporters.  I thought those with cards that put energy back into the opponent’s hand or discards energy, would be a fun basis for a deck, but some of those might have been unlimited only too.

Sakura, I think I am going to build an extended deck.  Probably half my cards are only available there and there are some cool things I’ve noticed that you can’t do in standard.  I’m just worried that being extended, that means my opponents will have access to an even bigger pool of powerful cards to kill me with, but I figure right now that’s just going to be true whatever I play.

Thank you all again!!  More later, probably.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, hunter328 said:

I checked my collection and found I’ve opened all of 1 team up packs (I searched filtered rares red stars, etc) and you know what, it’s Jirachi.  It’s not tradable, so it must’ve come from a reward pack.  Pretty cool, huh?

No way, that's so lucky xD Congratulations on your pull. 

Stadium

Actually, I realized that I missed something obvious on my first post regarding the Stadium card. While Chaotic Swell can be useful in multiple different situations (specially against decks that rely heavily on a Prism Star Stadium, since you basically lock them out of their ability to ever use it), I think that the optimal Stadium choice for this deck is Viridian Forest. It allows you to discard a card from your hand and search for a basic energy card from your deck. On a deck where you cal literally attach as many energies from your hand as you want this effect is pretty powerful. You should consider running 2-3 copies of it. For Swells I don't think that more than 2 are necessary due to the way it works (1 Swell can negate 2 of your opponent's Stadium cards), but for any other Stadium I'd say that 2-3 is a good amount. I'll update my first post to reflect this.

One quick question, is there a place to play the unlimited format in the game?  I spent like an hour last night building an unlimited deck to do a quest reward, then found there was no place I could find to play it.  Not that it would’ve been any good, but I thought it’d be cool to try (I saw a card I had, an Uknown, that lets you win the game if you have 35 or more cards in your hand.  I only had one, so it was basically just that card, trainers that let you draw cards, and some big health Pokémon.)

Right now Unlimited can only be played in friend battles. It used to be a VS format, but the idea of a format where all banned cards are allowed just didn't work out too well. There's just no point in playing against the FTK combos that can be done with the banned cards on every other match. NXD Shiftry+ FotGP means that your opponent returns all of your Pokemon to your hand turn 1 and you lose. Unown Damage had a combo where it could generate infinite damage counters by playing solitaire for 10 minutes and then win. Island Challenge Amulet + Reset Stamp + Chip Chip Axe basically works the same way as the Chaos Emperor Dragon + Yata-Garasu combo in YGO (not sure if you're familiar with it, but it's pretty iconic for being completely and utterly disgusting) since it deletes your entire hand turn 1 and forces you to draw garbage so you never get to play the game. A bunch of turn 1 locks were possible thanks to Wally and FotGP that also locked you out of the game on your first turn. Well, you get the idea xd Unlimited just stopped being a playable format as they released more cards that, while fair in the Standard rotation, they completely break the game in Expanded where they could be combined with older cards.

So, the TL;DR version of that is that Unlimited got removed from VS some years ago and can now only be played in friend battles.

Oh yeah, on another card I saw, are there any decks that use, I think it’s Sargent Surge (lets you play 3 supporters) and Misty that draws 2-3 supporters.  I thought those with cards that put energy back into the opponent’s hand or discards energy, would be a fun basis for a deck, but some of those might have been unlimited only too.

AFAIK, Lt. Surge is only used on Oranguru Control and other such mill decks that never take prize cards and instead aim to deck you out. It's only usable in Standard; it was banned from Expanded, possibly because it allowed broken combos that aren't possible in Standard.

Misty's Favor simply isn't too great of a card. Like I mentioned in my previous post, it has the major disadvantage of being a Supporter that searchrs for more Supporter cards, which means that outside of 2 or so exceptions (Dual Brains Magnezone or Lt. Surge) you'll never be able to use any of the Supporters you searched with Misty on the same turn that you played Misty. I could see it being used together with Lt. Surge, but even then I've never seen a mill deck that actually runs it. Realistically speaking, the only deck where Misty's Favor is usable is Slowpoke & Psyduck GX because you need to discard Supporters from your hand to do damage.

Sakura, I think I am going to build an extended deck.  Probably half my cards are only available there and there are some cool things I’ve noticed that you can’t do in standard.  I’m just worried that being extended, that means my opponents will have access to an even bigger pool of powerful cards to kill me with, but I figure right now that’s just going to be true whatever I play.

Hey, that's awesome xd I really like Expanded and the neat things you can do with Expanded staples. Don't worry too much at first of running into tough opponents, there's a lot of random decks in the format too. If you feel like trying it out let me know and I'll give you any advice I can.

Wow, again blown away by your kindness, Sak, and yours to, WoF.

Lol at myself here, and probably showing my age a bit, but dang, Sak, you use so many abbreviations that I don’t know that when reading your replies I’m constantly switching tabs on my iPad from this to a search for, what does xxxx mean in Pokémon?  I was having trouble finding AFAIK, so I started to make guesses:

Absol/Farfetch’d/Aipom/Keldeo, but that deck would be terrible.

Amazing Fear (with) Arceus and Inky, didn’t really see this working either.

All Fairies Attack is King!  Thought I might have it here...

And then I found it and felt really old.

• Upvote 2

If you didn't know here are some.

Lol= Lots of Laughs

XD= Its a laughing face. Look at it sideways. Same for Xd, xp.

TMI= Too much information

Brb= Be right back

I have no idea why I posted those. Of course there are more, but those are some of the ones that I have seen on the forums. I myself have no idea what xxxx means XD.

By the way\btw, AFAIK, means as far as I know XD.

Your guesses were close XD.

Edited by WingsofFire1014

13 minutes ago, WingsofFire1014 said:

If you didn't know here are some.

Lol= Lots of Laughs

XD= Its a laughing face. Look at it sideways. Same for Xd, xp.

TMI= Too much information

Brb= Be right back

I have no idea why I posted those. Of course there are more, but those are some of the ones that I have seen on the forums. I myself have no idea what xxxx means XD.

By the way\btw, AFAIK, means as far as I know XD.

Your guesses were close XD.

Some of these have alternate definitions, or perhaps incorrect ones that I just mistook as legit. ;)

A semi-colon followed by a close parenthesis is a winking face.

Anyway

lol = laughing out loud

Xd and xp are sticking your tongue out while laughing... or at least while scrunching up your eyes.  "XP" or "xp" have a long history, but Xd (which would be sticking your tongue out and up) might have just become a typo that people found a use for, kind of like how "teh" was eventually embraced as a way of typing "the" with emphasis, or silly emphasis.

A frivolous one, though is @};- for a short stem rose.  Very important for discussing James. :D

@hunter328 let us know about questions for actual Pokémon terms.  Most things aren't official, we may as well continue to make use of this thread.

1 minute ago, Otakutron said:

Some of these have alternate definitions, or perhaps incorrect ones that I just mistook as legit. ;)

A semi-colon followed by a close parenthesis is a winking face.

Anyway

lol = laughing out loud

Xd and xp are sticking your tongue out while laughing... or at least while scrunching up your eyes.  "XP" or "xp" have a long history, but Xd (which would be sticking your tongue out and up) might have just become a typo that people found a use for, kind of like how "teh" was eventually embraced as a way of typing "the" with emphasis, or silly emphasis.

A frivolous one, though is @};- for a short stem rose.  Very important for discussing James. :D

@hunter328 let us know about questions for actual Pokémon terms.  Most things aren't official, we may as well continue to make use of this thread.

Wow XD. I was off! I don't really use any of those besides XD, but still 😂

Hey, I posted this somewhere else but haven’t gotten a reply yet, maybe you guys and gals know: 

Are there any box sets, tins, theme decks, etc that were released say in the past year or two, that have some of the really good cards in them?  My Walmart has a bunch of stuff going back to XY and I’m heading there in an hour or so.

thanks

• Upvote 1

I have a bad habit of ending half of my sentences in an "xd" xd

Yeah I do use a lot of abbreviations though. Most of them are Pokemon related. The full name of cards like FotGP (Forrest of the Giant Plants), ADP (Arceus & Dialga & Palkia GX) and LTC (Lysandre's Trump Card) are kind of lengthy so I prefer to use the acronym most of the time. Also, expansions usually get abbreviated to 3 letters; the first letter of both words of the name and a letter from either word. For example, Roaring Skies is ROS and Cosmic Eclipse is CEC. As time passes you end up memorizing most of then xd

I think I don't use that many acronyms for phrases (compared to game related terms), but the ones I use the most are AFAIK (as far as I know), IIRC (if I recall correctly), ASAP (as soon as possible) and IRL (in real life).

Just now, hunter328 said:

Hey, I posted this somewhere else but haven’t gotten a reply yet, maybe you guys and gals know: 

Are there any box sets, tins, theme decks, etc that were released say in the past year or two, that have some of the really good cards in them?  My Walmart has a bunch of stuff going back to XY and I’m heading there in an hour or so.

thanks

Unfortunately most of the really good stuff gets hoarded early on, which means that you generally won't find stock on stores and the price for buying it off resellers is absurd. There was a Battle Arena deck released not that long ago that had 2 TUP Jirachi that musn't have cost more than 30-35 USD on release but now it costs 60+ USD to buy from a reseller. Maybe this was exceptional though due to how sought after Jirachi is. 

As for other products, I'm not too sure. Theme Decks are nice to buy online because they're cheap, it gives you some staples and you have an exclusive format where you can play vs other Theme Decks, but if you're going to play IRL you lack most of these benefits. I'd say it's worth paying the 13 bucks for a Theme Deck if you know you'll be playing against similar decks or if the Theme Deck contains more usuable cards (in terms of price) than the cost of the deck. For example, while the Rilaboom Theme deck is great in the Theme format and obtaining 3 Professor's Research, 1 Ordinary Rod, 1 Pokegear 3.0 and 2 Switch for just 500 Tokens is 100% worth it, spending 13 USD for just those 7 cards probably isn't. You'd be better off buying those as singles and you'd still have some leftover money to buy more things. In short, Theme Decks are a great buy if you'll play into other Theme Decks (or Theme Decks with some slight modifications), but if wherever you play you're only facing meta decks you might be left feeling that it wasn't worth the buy.

There might be some boxes worth buying right now that might still have stock, but you'll have to wait for the advise of the others because I'm not too up to date with these things.

One thing to look out for in the near future is a Trainer Toolkit that will contain 2 Dedenne-GX. That thing is going to fly off the shelves the instant it's released, so if you're interested in playing IRL keep an eye out for those.

Edited by Sakura150612

World Championship decks can be fun if you have the money; they're not legal for tournament use and you don't get the cards in the PTCGO but it is a snapshot of some of the best decks in the game at the end of that year's Standard Format.  Depending on the year, they can be reasonably well-balanced against each other.

When I mentioned terms and abbreviations earlier... well, I think I actually didn't say it that way, but it is what I meant. XP  I'll use something I assume we all know:

Unless you're someplace where you can insert the actual Energy symbols into your text, the shorthand for the Types is as follows, usually with the letter inside brackets brackets or parenthesis:

• Colorless = C
  • Darkness = D
  • Dragon = N
  • Fairy = Y
  • Fighting  = F
  • Fire = R
  • Grass = G
  • Lightning = L
  • Metal = M
  • Psychic = P
  • Water = W

If you're wondering why some of the choices seem rather odd, you take the first available consonant from the Type name.  Available?  Not only do you need to alphabetize the Types, but remember when they were added chronologically; Dragon and Fairy came along so late that only the last consonant in their names were still available!  Possibly, when Fire claimed "R", it could have also or instead been to reference the color "Red", but that doesn't work for most of the other Types.

A little less well-known is that the shorthand for the Prism Star symbol is {*}.  I got that from official rulings, if anyone is wondering. ;)  Set abbreviations are official as well, coming from the sheet used for recording your deck.

An example of a game terms to learn are "bounce" and "mill".  These actually come from other games that shall not be named due to the board guidelines. ;)  "Bounce" refers to returning a card from being in play to your hand; your discard pile doesn't count as "in play", if anyone was wondering.  "Mill" refers to discarding cards from the top of your opponent's deck.  I'm sure most, if not all, of you reading this were familiar with what I've just said, but these are the kind of things I was wondering if anyone needed help with.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Otakutron said:

If you're wondering why some of the choices seem rather odd, you take the first available consonant from the Type name.  Available?  Not only do you need to alphabetize the Types, but remember when they were added chronologically; Dragon and Fairy came along so late that only the last consonant in their names were still available!

Wait, so that's the reason Fairy is "Y"? I always thought that it was "Y" for "Yōsei" (妖精),  the Japanese word for fairy xd

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sakura150612 said:

Wait, so that's the reason Fairy is "Y"? I always thought that it was "Y" for "Yōsei" (妖精),  the Japanese word for fairy xd

Just as with "R" being the first letter in "red", the primary color associated with Fire Types, if it was intended at all, it is just a bonus. ;)

F - Fighting

I - Vowel

R - Only option left

E - Vowel

F - Fighting

A - Vowel

I - Vowel

R - Fire

Y - Only option left

D - Darkness

R - Fire

A - Vowel

G - Grass

O - Vowel

N - Only option left

The thing in common shared by all three is that, subtracting letters used by other Types or vowels (that apparently aren't allowed O_o), is that the only remaining consonant was used.

Edited by Otakutron
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Otakutron said:

Just as with "R" being the first letter in "red", the primary color associated with Fire Types, if it was intended at all, it is just a bonus. ;)

F - Fighting

I - Vowel

R - Only option left

E - Vowel

F - Fighting

A - Vowel

I - Vowel

R - Fire

Y - Only option left

D - Darkness

R - Fire

A - Vowel

G - Grass

O - Vowel

N - Only option left

The thing in common shared by all three is that, subtracting letters used by other Types or vowels (that apparently aren't allowed O_o), is that the only remaining consonant was used.

Ahh, I see. I guess that makes more sense since it fits the pattern.

Got a theme deck and the Pikachu Evee box because I wanted the big poke ball and figure.  It had one Burning Shadows pack in it (with 4 other packs).  Pulled a full art foil Charizard GX!  So that box paid for itself!

Online, in the game I actually play, it’ll probably have a rare Dunsparce or something, but I’m happy either way.  Guess I’ll head to the bay with the E later to convert that Charizard into currency.

How much do you guys think it should go for?

T-C-G P-L-A-Y-E-R should give you some information on It's market price. Just look it up on there 😀

(Had to put the site name like that to avoid a link XD)

• Downvote 1

Here’s another deck I’m working on.  It’s been doing pretty well.  I screwed up and thought Gengar could transfer counters to any friendly but it’s just Psychic, so the empty spots were where I took out my Snorlax V and Vmaxxs.

I was thinking of maybe adding one or two of the big beefy psychic Tag Teams or GXs.  Tag Teams have more hp, but that Lunala GX that moves energy around looks like it could be a good fit.

I’m trying to keep everyone’s advice in mind while building (this used to have 27 Pokémon, 13 Trainers, and 20 Energy).  I got some more Marnies through trade (they were expensive, 2 for 3 packs was the cheapest I saw).  I screwed up while trading though.  When looking for Marnies I had my filters set right, standard, me looking for Marnie, etc, and someone had a trade including Marnie with other cards, one of which was a stadium that I thought would work perfectly in the deck as it removed retreat costs.  That trade was asking to much and only had one Marnie, so I did a new search for the Stadium (I forget its name) and found a trade with two and 4 copies of a supporter that also would work well.  Unfortunately, after getting everything and going back to redo my deck I couldn’t find my new stadiums and supporters anywhere.  Finally it dawned on me and yep, sure enough they were both from older sets now in extended.  Guess I’ll just make an extended version too.

Anyway, my last game I won (2nd straight) but my opponent constantly never had more than one card in hand and I kept drawing those Marnies and, even though it would’ve helped me out, I didn’t use them because I figured being stuck at one card he was probably in a worse spot.  
Sorry, kind of rambled on there.

Anyway, take a look if you want and if you feel like sharing any advice as always I’d be happy to hear it.

Thank you!

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 12

* 2 Gastly UNB 67
* 1 Mimikyu CEC 97
* 3 Wobbuffet V SSH 86
* 2 Haunter UNB 69
* 1 Haunter SSH 84
* 3 Gengar SSH 85

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 2 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
* 4 Pokémon Catcher BKP 105
* 3 Marnie SSH 169
* 4 Switch CES 147
* 4 Pokémon Communication TEU 152
* 3 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 1 Mallow & Lana CEC 198
* 2 Professor's Research SSH 178
* 1 Chaotic Swell CEC 187
* 4 Energy Search SSH 161
* 2 Copycat CES 127
* 2 Ordinary Rod SSH 171
* 1 Faba LOT 173

##Energy - 12

* 2 Recycle Energy UNM 212
* 8 Psychic Energy SWSHEnergy 5
* 2 Weakness Guard Energy UNM 213

Total Cards - 57

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

One note on the number of draw Supporters.  I know Supporters are the last/worst option, but I’m having a hard time finding draw cards that aren’t Supporters, and when I go without any, I keep finding myself with either an empty hand or nothing to play, so that’s why they’re there for now.

On 4/25/2020 at 6:14 PM, hunter328 said:

Here’s another deck I’m working on.  It’s been doing pretty well.  I screwed up and thought Gengar could transfer counters to any friendly but it’s just Psychic, so the empty spots were where I took out my Snorlax V and Vmaxxs.

I was thinking of maybe adding one or two of the big beefy psychic Tag Teams or GXs.  Tag Teams have more hp, but that Lunala GX that moves energy around looks like it could be a good fit.

Once again, due to time constraints, I won't be able to "cushion the blow" when things turn negative. I'll try not to be outright mean, though. ^^'

Looking ahead, it is good to see that you're getting a more reasonable ratio of Pokémon to Trainers to Energy, and also that you realized you goofed when it came to Gengar's Ability.

It is half-good that you realized high HP Pokémon are a good combo for this Ability, but there's a bit more to it than that.  You'll need to consider how many Prizes they are worth, how difficult they'll be to run, etc.  TAG TEAM Pokémon and Pokémon VMAX come with massive HP scores, but are also worth three Prizes.  TAG TEAM Pokémon are Pokémon-GX, so Great Catcher can force them Active without any coin flips (like Pokémon Reversal) or without using two copies of it at a time (like Custom Catcher).  Pokémon VMAX are Evolutions, so they'll take more room and be a bit slower than Basics.

Adding a second Stage 2 is a huge red flag.  It is rare for multi-Stage 2 decks to work in the modern game, and this has been the case since the most recent errata for Rare Candy.  Stage 2 Pokémon take a lot of room to run, especially when you don't have a great shortcut for them... and while Rare Candy is a short cut, it isn't enough of one.  There's also the question of why you want to add in moving Energy around.  Do you have a particular combo in mind?  Is it something you couldn't effectively do through using the right cards in combination with Gengar?

I’m trying to keep everyone’s advice in mind while building (this used to have 27 Pokémon, 13 Trainers, and 20 Energy).  I got some more Marnies through trade (they were expensive, 2 for 3 packs was the cheapest I saw).

What were the packs?  The price guide I usually use is about three weeks out of date, so the price may have gone up, but it shows the regular Marnie going for one pack... by which it means one pack with a trade ratio of 1.0 (even though that's not how I was taught to write a ratio XP).  SM - Cosmic Eclipse has a 0.66 ratio, meaning three CEC packs are worth two generic packs.  SM - Celestial Storm has a 0.5 ratio, so two of it are worth only one generic pack.  So two Marnie for three packs can vary from overpriced, to fair, to a deal depending on what the packs being requested were.

Still, your best bet - if you can wait even eight hours - is to simply post your own public trade offer.  If it is more or less fair (let alone you paying over), it'll probably go through.  Oh, and remember, the "least rare" version of Marnie is still a Holo Rare.  Last time I saw the odds for pulling a holo-rare, it was one in three packs (though it may have changed since then).

they were both from older sets now in extended.

*coughExpandedcough*

I'm guessing the Stadium was Alter of the Moone.

One note on the number of draw Supporters.  I know Supporters are the last/worst option, but I’m having a hard time finding draw cards that aren’t Supporters, and when I go without any, I keep finding myself with either an empty hand or nothing to play, so that’s why they’re there for now.

Whoa!  I think you misunderstood a lesson somewhere!  Supporters are not the last or worst draw option, they're usually the best!  Looking back:

On 4/21/2020 at 8:51 PM, Sakura150612 said:

If I had to give you a hierarchy, if there's an effect that can be performed by both Trainers and Pokemon, you should almost always prefer (in order): 1) Item Cards 2) Supporters 3) Pokemon Attack.

What Sakura meant is that if the exact same effect can be performed those three things, then that is how to value them.  Let me expand and clarify what she said. Generally speaking:

1. If if two effects do the same thing, but one ends your turn and the other doesn't, the one that does not end your turn is going to be better.
  2. If two effects do the same thing, but one is a consumable while the other is reusable, the reusable one is going to be better.
  3. If two effects do the same thing, but there's a limit on how many times one of the effects can be used (even with multiples of it), then the one without the limit is going to be better.

Notice how I keep talking about the cards doing the same thing; I mean the exact same thing!  If the cards are doing similar - but different! - things, then you must adjust accordingly.  There are some things Items to better.  Some things attacks do better.  Some things Supporters do better.

Need to draw cards?  That is usually what you use your Supporter for most turns.

Need to get basic Energy into your hand?  Use Item cards; your Supporter can help you out best by trying to draw into those Item cards, or the Energy itself.

In the Standard Format, the four best draw cards are currently:

• Cynthia
  • Dedenne-GX
  • Marnie
  • Professor's Research

Notice how three out of four of these are Supporters, and none are Item cards!  Yes, Dedenne-GX is the most expensive of these cards, but that's because it is a Pokémon-GX (which is also a card rarity, and not just a game mechanic).  Marnie is a Holo Rare, but she's also as much about disrupting your opponent as she is about drawing.  Cynthia and Professor's Research are both about drawing, and they're also both available in multiple Theme Decks, making them easy to obtain.

The main advantage of Dedenne-GX is that it can be used T1 (when you cannot use a Supporter or attack) and that any other turn, you can use it in addition to using a Supporter.  Of course, it also comes with the downside of being worth 2 Prizes but having only 160 HP and eating up space on your Bench.

Sorry if this is a lot of information at once, but no wonder you were struggling!

Edited by Otakutron
At least this time, I think I get why the censor decided to prohibit a word.
  • Like 1