Sign in to follow this  
Shaunorez

Ruling Question

Shaunorez

If I use Arceus/Dialga/Palkia GX attack with the additional water energy attached, I am able to take an extra prize card for a knockout. My question is: After I use this GX attack, if I knock out Lillie's Poke Doll, do I get to take 1 prize card even though it says the player takes no prize card after knocking out lillie's poke doll?

U556

It doesn't count as a knockout, so no.

Sakura150612
Just now, U556 said:

It doesn't count as a knockout, so no.

It technically does count as a knock out, but you're right about not being able to take prizes. Both Poke Doll and Robo Substitute specifically state that your opponent cannot take any prizes upon KOing them, so regardless of what kind of modifiers are active you'll never take a prize for KOing one of these 2 cards.

The reason why it still counting as a KO is relevant is because of its interaction with cards such as Teamates that can only be used if your opponent KO'd one of your Pokemon with an attack during their last turn. I could be wrong since I haven't seen anyone use the Robo Substitute w/ Teamates combo in a long time, but I'm 99% sure that it works.

• Upvote 2

Salmancer

Knocking Out a Lillie's Poké Doll actually counts as a Knock Out, and triggers any effects that care about a Pokémon being Knocked Out like Rosa, Teammates, and Oricorio GX's Dance of the Tribute ability. What happens is that the effect of Lillie's Poké Doll says, "If this card is Knocked Out, your opponent can’t take any Prize cards for it," and you can't take one extra Prize card if you can't take any Prize cards to begin with.

Think of it as multiplication. By default, a Pokémon gives 1 Prize card when knocked out. Altered Creation GX lets you take an additional Prize card, so that's "+1". Lillie's Poké Doll prevents any Prize cards from being taken, so it's, "*0". The solution to the equation 1+1*0 is 0, so 0 Prize cards are taken.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

SandaledOtter
5 hours ago, Salmancer said:

Knocking Out a Lillie's Poké Doll actually counts as a Knock Out, and triggers any effects that care about a Pokémon being Knocked Out like Rosa, Teammates, and Oricorio GX's Dance of the Tribute ability. What happens is that the effect of Lillie's Poké Doll says, "If this card is Knocked Out, your opponent can’t take any Prize cards for it," and you can't take one extra Prize card if you can't take any Prize cards to begin with.

Think of it as multiplication. By default, a Pokémon gives 1 Prize card when knocked out. Altered Creation GX lets you take an additional Prize card, so that's "+1". Lillie's Poké Doll prevents any Prize cards from being taken, so it's, "*0". The solution to the equation 1+1*0 is 0, so 0 Prize cards are taken.

Your reasoning is right, but your math is wrong. 1+1×0 = 1+(1×0) = 1+0 = 1

It should be (1+1)×0 😁

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Mod_Alder

Hello trainers, 

Thank you to everyone who posted in this thread to help clarify the rules. 

Sign in to follow this