A Couple Trading/Deck Questions

hunter328

Hello, all.

I’m still fairly new to the game and don’t have a large collection of cards.  I do currently have 56 packs of tradable SwSh packs.  I’m wondering, having not have been playing the last time a new set released, once the next set hits here soon, will the trade value of my SwSh packs drop?  
If I understand correctly, pack values are based currently on SwSh, with SwSh being 1 and other sets’ values’ are a percentage corresponding to that.  Will the new set then replace SwSh as the basis for calculating value?  And do sets always drop in value when going from the current newest to not so?

If yes on that last part, I’m then wondering if I shouldn’t go ahead and trade my packs before their value goes down?

Again, if yes, then we get to the other part of what I need help on.

Being new and not having knowledge of all the cards out there, it’s difficult to know what to trade for, as I can read and understand any particular card, but be completely oblivious to it’s synergies with other cards I may yet to have seen.

What I’m then asking/hoping for are some suggestions for how to use my packs.  What cards to trade for that would give me a fun, somewhat competitive, deck to play in VS.  I’m guessing all I have enough for is one deck, if that, but if not more than one would be great (I do have other, older packs to trade as well, mostly Cosmic Eclipse (around 40 I think)).  I’m trying to stick to Standard for now, btw.

I hope all of that made sense.  
Anyone who replies with answers and ideas, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Yes, once a new set is released, the value of your packs will drop over time and yes, the newest set will become the calculator. No, you shouldn't trade your packs. Once the new set is released, your going to need your SW&SH packs so you can get packs for the newest set which will be Rebel Clash. Once you do that, you can then trade for cards you need as it will be about 4 months until another set is released. We are to close to the release of Rebel Clash I would say now.

You should probably start in expanded. Standard is a hard format to be truly competitive in without a good deck 😉. Either way, you should pick up the staples of each format. Standard ones include Cynthia, Quick Ball, Jirachi (Team Up), Dedenne GX (Unbroken Bonds), and more. In expanded, Prof. Syc. or Juniper, VS Seeker, Ultra Ball, and more. Those are off of the top of my head XD. The amount of decks that you will be able to build will be based off of what you want. It appears that you aren't looking for anything to crazy, therefore you can probably make a couple of solid decks.

Trade most of your Cosmic Eclipse for SW&SH packs. Keep a few just in case it has one of those rare peaks 😉.

After all of this, start deck building! Let me know if I can be of assistance in that department. I like making decks more than I like playing the actual game XD.

Hopefully I caught everything that you said XD.

Edited by WingsofFire1014

They give you several advices of matching cards, deck ideas and the gameplay itself - some of them explain very well each move they make! Very good to learn about the game and get new strategies.
In addition, PTCGRadio particularly brings translated upcoming cards from the next sets.
It's very nice to check whats about to be released : )

Edited by Mod_GuruLot
posting links to websites other than official Pokémon sites

8 hours ago, Bol4Killer said:

@WingsofFire1014 , do you think UNB packs will keep its value or gonna drop?
I assume both UNB and TEU are keeping valueable as long as Jirachi and Dedenne-GX are highly desired. Am I right?

Yes, you are right.

UNB will most likely keep its value until Dedenne GX rotates out. It might have the slightest decrease in value, but it will probably stay mostly stable until Dennis is gone.

TU will be about the same as UNB.

8 hours ago, Bol4Killer said:

They give you several advices of matching cards, deck ideas and the gameplay itself - some of them explain very well each move they make! Very good to learn about the game and get new strategies.
In addition, PTCGRadio particularly brings translated upcoming cards from the next sets.
It's very nice to check whats about to be released : )

For sure! Once Rebel Clash is released, definently pick up a play set of Boss's Orders. PTCGRadio is okay, but I myself prefer OmniPoke.

Definently check out some videos @hunter328 so you know what is coming and what to expect. When a new set comes out, it can be very overwhelming especially for newer players like yourself 😉. Just be prepared XD.

On 4/14/2020 at 5:58 PM, hunter328 said:

If I understand correctly, pack values are based currently on SwSh, with SwSh being 1 and other sets’ values’ are a percentage corresponding to that.

You do not understand correctly, at least for the way most of us value stuff.

Most price guide and the like list things in terms of generic packs.  This generic (or non-specific) pack is hypothetical, not actually existing, and acts as a unit of measurement for value.  Everything else's prices are listed according to that.  That's why we say Sword & Shield packs have a trade ratio of 1:1 (or something similar); not because they set the standard, but because at that moment they're worth one of this standard unit.

The others may be more knowledgeable about pricing trends.  I'm actually a bit surprised Sword & Shield packs haven't already lost value, this close to the next set.  I'm still getting a feel for this metagame; if there are enough valuable "chase cards" (for collecting), or "good cards" for competitive play, it will retain a decent chunk of its value.  Even in a worst case scenario, I doubt it would drop below 0.5 anytime soon.

Be careful with investing in potent staples; they seem like a solid deal, but even stuff like Dedenne-GX has changed in value quite a bit over time.