Wobuffet V broken card

guruguy87

The only way to kill it is with a one hit KO and it has a crazy 220 HP as a basic pokemon. (I know lots of other V basics have high HP too, and it is a mistake of card makers really ruining this card game!) No pokemon should have that kind of attack combined with HP. I had solid attackers in my deck ready to hit for 160 damage and 130 damage, but Wobuffet V has a move that takes ALL damage counters off of it and places those damage counters on the active pokemon. Meaning you literally cannot kill the thing unless with a one hit KO or paralyzing effects. It is a cheat card. What makes it worse is the attack only costs  2 double colorless energy. What kind of goofy baffoon made that cheat card? The card game bothers me so much with how things have changed from the base set days... now it is all about "get your undefeatable superstar and win the game" with no strategy involved in that. Freaking stupid. I'm annoyed that I lost a battle because I don't have attackers that can do 220 damage in my deck yet... (still new here) There should be a ban on this card. I'm playing standard format. The game is turning so ugly you need to have 220 or more attackers in order to win... that will turn more newbies like me. 

• Downvote 3

Switch all damage counters on this Pokemon, with those on your opponents active Pokemon.

If they have 150 damage on them and you have 70 lets say, you take the 150 and they take the 70.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by WingsofFire1014
  • Upvote 1

I will not just down vote the salt.

I will not just down vote the salt.

Edit: Oh look, I got down voted because someone didn't like my opening joke or maybe because I didn't explain myself well enough.  Let's assume the latter and expand on what I originally said.

Yes, @WingsofFire1014 you are correct; "Gritty Comeback" switches all damage counters on Wobbuffet V with those on your opponent's Active.  Thus, Wobbuffet can only perpetually heal if your own Active has no damage counters on it after attacking each turn.

So, @guruguy87 if your deck can literally only do 130 or 160 damage when attacking and your attackers all have 130 or less HP,  you can consider that bad luck or bad deck design, but calling Wobbuffet V bad game design ignores that there are answers to it in most decks.

Defeating Wobbuffet V is about hitting it hard enough so set up for a follow-up KO but not so hard that Gritty Comeback can KO your attacker by returning the damage.  If guruguy87 was being absolutely literal, where all of his Pokémon do either 130 or 160 damage, hopefully at least one of them does 130 but has 140 HP or 160 but has 170.  If not, it really is probably just a bad match-up; be glad most players don't run Wobbuffet V. ;)

Otherwise, use whichever attack is appropriate.  Your opponent switches the damage back but they don't take a OHKO.  Now you can attack again.  Your opponent might Shadow Bind for a KO, but if they do, they still aren't getting that 130 or 160 damage off of Wobbuffet V.  Which means your next attacker can come up, score the KO, and take two Prizes.

A good rule of thumb is, when you encounter an "impossible" scenario like this, make sure its actually performing well at recent tournaments.  This should help, and there are unofficial websites that list the entire top cut and not just the top eight, with as many deck lists as they can find... board rules just prevent me linking to them here.  If you don't see the Pokémon in question, either you just learned about an up-and-coming strategy, or you get your first clue that there's a solution to the problem that you simply missed.

Edited by Otakutron
Added more detailed explanation for dealing with Wobbuffet V.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Otakutron   Not exactly agree with you. What @guruguy87 said about is true. You either need a OHKO or a paralysing effect to stop 1 round to kill a Wobuffet V because it will mirror the damage the attacking pokemon and heals up itself.

Even if I hit it with a cinccino with 40 damage with HP 90. That 40 damages would be mirrored to the cinccino right after Gritty Comeback. Wobuffet V is then totally healed. Very annoying for decks without a GX attacker. After 3 rounds, Cinccino will be knocked out and Wobuffet V is still have no 

Yet still wobuffet V can proactively do 70 damage every round. Its actually more terrible than obstagoon or pyroar. 

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, pokesnore said:

cinccino

If you're using Cinccino as an attacker then you have a problem... that card was simply not meant to be the main source of damage, it's just there to help you draw cards.

Not every card is viable, either. There's a ton of garbage cards that just pad out the sets and are only good as collection items. You can't expect every card (or even just the majority of them) to have a way of beating any other specific card when you account for all of the garbage that isn't viable. And you can't expect that Pokemom that are only meant to sit on your bench to KO anything. It's like if I complained that Dedenne-GX can't get off any decent attacks.

Most viable decks have a way of deling with Wobbuffet V. Any deck that can't OHKO it can still do exactly as the others have said: do some chip damage first. It doesn't have to be over half of its HP, it just needs to leave it with low enough HP for your main attacker to finish it off (your draw engine Pokemon won't cut it as a "main attacker"). If they use Gritty Comeback you just attack Wobbuffet V for the exact same amount of damage and now they can't use Gritty Comeback again, since all it does it swap counters (if both active Pokemon have the same number of damage counters then Gritty Comeback does nothing).

If you're interested, you can share your deck list and we'll see what we can do for you.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, pokesnore said:

@Otakutron   Not exactly agree with you. What @guruguy87 said about is true. You either need a OHKO or a paralysing effect to stop 1 round to kill a Wobuffet V because it will mirror the damage the attacking pokemon and heals up itself.

Even if I hit it with a cinccino with 40 damage with HP 90. That 40 damages would be mirrored to the cinccino right after Gritty Comeback. Wobuffet V is then totally healed. Very annoying for decks without a GX attacker. After 3 rounds, Cinccino will be knocked out and Wobuffet V is still have no 

Yet still wobuffet V can proactively do 70 damage every round. Its actually more terrible than obstagoon or pyroar. 

Just run a heavier hitter. I can take out wobbuffets without a basic gx, ex, or v. The answer? All hail the Blowns. Some cards are just better than others, and you simply need a strategy that can hit harder, because once you get past that threshold, wobbuffets become dead weight in your opponents deck.