Sign in to follow this  
Salmancer

Add Flavor Text to Trainer Cards?

Salmancer

One of the weird things about the Pokémon Trading Card Game is that only Pokémon get flavor text. Trainer cards never have flavor text, even if there is the space to include it. One reason for this might be because Trainer cards look better when they are uncluttered, but I think it would be helpful because some Trainer cards don't exactly make sense in the world of Pokémon. Some examples:

• Pokémon Catcher and its variants are Pokémon tractor beams, (or net guns, it varies) but Poké Balls are already Pokémon tractor beams with the benefit of containing the Pokémon so who would use Catchers over Poké Balls?
  • Why does Green refuse to help Trainers when their Pokémon have Abilities? Does she just not like Abilities, does she think Abilities go against traditional Pokémon battling, or is it some other reason?
  • What does Prism Star even mean in in the world of Pokémon? Lisia's effect implies that it has something to do with being bright and colorful, and the visual effect resembles the auras surrounding Totem Pokémon but I can't be sure. Pokémon cards don't have the space to explain this since their flavor text is a Pokédex entry, but there are plenty of Prism Star Supporters (and Lisia, who cares about Prism Star cards) that have some space to talk about it.
  • Why are only EX Pokémon susceptible to Head Ringer and Jamming Net? Are EX Pokémon bigger than regular Pokémon so the Team Flare Tools wouldn't fit on normal Pokémon? Is the increased power of an EX easier to contain than the standard power of a normal Pokémon? Are normal Pokémon faster than EX Pokémon so EX Pokémon can't dodge the Team Flare Tool being put onto them? Who knows?

Other trading card games put flavor text on their Trainer equivalents, so I'm not sure why Pokémon chooses not to when it could clear up mysteries such as these and make the Pokémon world feel more real.

Sign in to follow this