alnitak50

Daily challenges I can't complete

alnitak50

I don't know where to put this or really what it is, but I've only started playing the game two days ago and for the last 2 days I'm getting daily challenges that I can't complete.  They require me to use grass type pokemon that I have very few of, certainly not enough to build a deck around or complete the challenges with.  I don't understand why I am getting these quests when I don't have the cards to complete them.  Is it just luck of the draw, or is there some issue here?  I just cancelled today's challenge that requires me to do 500 damage with grass type, and I literally have 2 that can even do any damage at all.  What am I missing here?  Don't really want to buy a grass based theme deck with the small amount of tokens I have that isn't that good to begin with.  Thanks for any help.

Sakura150612
Posted (edited)

While I can completely understand the thought of not wasting your limited amount of Tokens on a potentially bad deck, when you're starting out buying Theme Decks is actually the best thing you can do with your Tokens. Not any Theme Deck, of course, only the ones that are actually good/competitive in the current meta and decks that give you staples you can later use in custom decks. Rilaboom is actually a really strong grass Theme Deck that's played fairly often, and it has a a good matchup against Towering Heights which is also a very popular deck. It does lose to Relentless Flame though, which is also played a ton so that can be a source of frustration if you see it too much.

My personal pick for best Theme Deck to buy with your first 500 Tokens is Towering Heights. It's really well rounded and it fights on even grounds with all of the other top Theme Decks (except for maybe Rilaboom, against which it has somewhat of a disadvantage). It's a solid start, so it's 100% worth your 500 Tokens.

As to your question on the challenges, sadly I don't know. I was under the impression that it prioritized giving you challenges you can complete, but I have no proof of this and I could be completely wrong. The only suggestion I can give you is that when the game starts giving you a choice of challenges for the day (it starts happening after you level up; you gain exp by completing challenges) that you pick the "evolving Pokemon" challenge, given that you don't see any challenges of the type of decks you own. The reason for this is that 1) It gives more Tokens than the "doing damage" challenges, 2) It gives more exp towards leveling up, meaning you'll get closer to having choices of challenges for each day, and 3) They can be completed even if you don't have a "good" deck of the correct type; all you have to do is put together a garbage deck with 0 energies and all evolution lines (which can be any Pokemon of the correct type, even if the cards suck and you can't win games with them) plus drawing and searching cards. You're basically losing games on purpose by focusing solely on evolving Pokemon. Usually you can complete the challenge in 1-2 games without much effort. I can give you a template of what I use if you're interested. 

Edited by Sakura150612
  • Upvote 2

alnitak50

Thanks for all this info.  I have to wait until tonight to see which daily challenge I get, but I'm hoping for a more favorable outcome.  I do have enough tokens to buy a theme deck, so maybe I'll jump in and buy the one you recommended.  I know you get more tokens for doing versus mode, so that's a good incentive for doing something other than the trainer challenges.  I'll take any and all help you're willing to offer including your template.  Thanks again.

Mod_GuruLot
1 hour ago, alnitak50 said:

Thanks for all this info.  I have to wait until tonight to see which daily challenge I get, but I'm hoping for a more favorable outcome.  I do have enough tokens to buy a theme deck, so maybe I'll jump in and buy the one you recommended.  I know you get more tokens for doing versus mode, so that's a good incentive for doing something other than the trainer challenges.  I'll take any and all help you're willing to offer including your template.  Thanks again.

Hello @alnitak50

We are glad to hear you find useful the information other fellow trainers help you out with on the forum! :) 

SandaledOtter
11 hours ago, Sakura150612 said:

As to your question on the challenges, sadly I don't know. I was under the impression that it prioritized giving you challenges you can complete, but I have no proof of this and I could be completely wrong.

My experience was that they tended to push at the edge of what I could do. So the game expects that you could complete the challenge at this point if you tried, though it is "a challenge."

But then, when I started, there were starter decks for green, red, blue, and yellow ("XY Basic" each color), so if they haven't changed the timing of the challenge releases, that could be an issue.

Sakura150612

Alright, here's what I typically use for the "evolving Pokemon" challenge. It has a few cards that you probably won't be able to obtain for now, but they can be replaced. Here's the list:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 23

* 3 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 4 Snover FLI 3
* 4 Treecko PLF 6
* 4 Abomasnow FLI 4
* 4 Grovyle LOT 21
* 4 Sceptile CES 10

##Trainer Cards - 37

* 3 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 3 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 Devolution Spray EVO 76
* 4 Acro Bike PRC 122
* 4 Super Scoop Up FFI 100
* 3 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 161
* 2 Cynthia UPR 119
* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 2 Sky Field ROS 89
* 4 Trainers' Mail AOR 100

##Energy - 0

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I highlighted the Pokemon that you're evolving. These can be replaced by Pokemon of other type for other challenges. You probably have some Pokemon you can evolve from various types sitting on your collection by default; you get a bunch of cards from the default Theme Decks. It might not be enough to make a full set of evolutions, but I could probably help you pad out some of the cards you're missing. I have a ton of extra commons that I wouldn't mind sharing with you if you need them for specific challenges. Don't worry about the Shaymin-EX, it helps draw but it's too expensive to get at the beginning and they're only usable if you chose to play Expanded anyways (they aren't valid for use in Standard). 

I can also give you a few staple trainers too. I'm certain I have several spares of stuff (although not of everything). Your list might not need to be that complete though, so there's that too. My list is made keeping in mind that at my level I need 10 evolutions for the challenge. IIRC, until lvl16 you only need to evolve 5 Pokemon to be done with the challenge.

If you happen to have a strong Theme Deck of the correct type though (for example, if you have Towering Heights and you get a "evolve 5 Fighting Pokemon" challenge), it's better to just play that instead of bothering with this evolving-only custom deck. Also, if in VS you're in a winstreak it's better to continue playing your good decks until you lose, and only then do the evolving challenge (since this deck is a guaranteed loss in exchange of quickly completing the challenge). Winstreaks in VS give you more ladder points towards your next win, so it's better to try to keep the winstreak going for as long as possible by playing your best decks.

I went ahead and sent you a friend request in-game. Let me know if you need anything and I'll see what I can do for you.

Chasista

I think there's an intermediate level where you asked to evolve 7 pokémon. But not 100% sure, I can't exactly remember but I have the feeling. Doesn't changes too much 5 or 7 or 10 tho, that's not the important.

Lately I tended to cut all or some of the devolving items and go for more evolving ones and where before were 4 Evosoda, now there are also 4 Incense evolution so I cut some Scoop up flip coin based and Devolution spray if needed. My Ace Spec is Scoop up cyclone though as works 100% guaranteed.

Level ball can get you also any basic and almost any stage 1, or all of them if you choose them wisely.

Some other balls can help if you build in purpose, Heavy ball for example.

They are not complicated decks. No energies, no trying to attack, no trying to disrupt opponent, and if you lucky enough, they will aware at the 3rd or 4th turn you're only evolving so they'll let you end the challenge strolling. You loose anyway (although I've won games with that decks 😱 for totally unknown reasons). If they just hit you 6 times, next game for some more evos.

• Upvote 1

Sakura150612
53 minutes ago, Chasista said:

I think there's an intermediate level where you asked to evolve 7 pokémon. But not 100% sure, I can't exactly remember but I have the feeling. Doesn't changes too much 5 or 7 or 10 tho, that's not the important.

Lately I tended to cut all or some of the devolving items and go for more evolving ones and where before were 4 Evosoda, now there are also 4 Incense evolution so I cut some Scoop up flip coin based and Devolution spray if needed. My Ace Spec is Scoop up cyclone though as works 100% guaranteed.

Level ball can get you also any basic and almost any stage 1, or all of them if you choose them wisely.

Some other balls can help if you build in purpose, Heavy ball for example.

They are not complicated decks. No energies, no trying to attack, no trying to disrupt opponent, and if you lucky enough, they will aware at the 3rd or 4th turn you're only evolving so they'll let you end the challenge strolling. You loose anyway (although I've won games with that decks 😱 for totally unknown reasons). If they just hit you 6 times, next game for some more evos.

I second this. These are good tweaks to the evolving-only decks I talked about. This is actually good advice for me too xd I might try modifying my own list for when I do my daily challenges.

• Like 1

IceBeamTogetic
Posted (edited)

This topic isn't a bug report, so it should be moved to one of the TCG Online Discussion forums.

You can delete challenges you can't/won't complete in order to make room for new ones. Until you build a deck capable of completing certain challenges, that's probably your best option.

Edited by IceBeamTogetic

Sakura150612
1 minute ago, IceBeamTogetic said:

This topic isn't a bug report, so it should be moved to one of the TCG Online Discussion forums.

At this point, yeah it isn't. It'd be cool if the mods could move it to either PvP or Deck Construction.

3 minutes ago, IceBeamTogetic said:

You can delete challenges you can't/won't complete in order to make room for new ones. Until you build a deck capable of completing certain challenges, that's probably your best option.

If OP gets forced into a truly uncompletable challenge (like doing damage, or worse, taking KO's with a type of deck he doesn't have), yeah there isn't much of a different choice. I still think that the evolving challenge is manageable though (perhaps with some help).

Mod_RedDragon

Hello Trainers!

I went ahead and moved this thread to the Deck Construction section as it seems better suited here. 

Sakura150612
18 minutes ago, Mod_RedDragon said:

Hello Trainers!

I went ahead and moved this thread to the Deck Construction section as it seems better suited here. 

Thank you :) 

• Like 1

Mod_RedDragon
11 minutes ago, Sakura150612 said:

Thank you :) 

You are most welcome! 😎

Alphaia_CORP

You can get a new challenge by pressing the bin icon in the challenge page.

Sakura150612
1 hour ago, Alphaia_CORP said:

You can get a new challenge by pressing the bin icon in the challenge page.

This is only if the player has not yet taken a a challenge that day. If they have and trash that one, they'll have the space available to accept a new challenge but they will not be able to actually get a new challenge until the next day.

• Upvote 1