The coin flip to determine who goes first can be easily manipulated and needs to be updated

Toklopo

Hi, not sure if someone has already suggested this, but I believe the "rules" for the first determining coin flip should be changed in the online client - due to the official rule changes in the physical card game, now it can often be more advantageous to go second.

However, the person who is calling the coin flip can easily force the other play to go first by stalling the timer on the coin flip screen - this way, the other player will automatically go first. I assume that this used to be a "punishment" for timer stalling, but it's not the case anymore. Obviously this is not a problem in the physical card game since you have judges present at matches and you are always required to call the coin flip. (As far as I know, at least.)

Therefore I'd suggest updating the online client as follows: if one player stalls the " coin flip timer", the other player should be given the chance to choose to go either second or first, and shouldn't automatically be forced to go first.

However, this could result in an endless loop of "coin flip stalling", therefore if the other player is also unable or unwilling to give a response, the game should just proceed with the current "coin flip rules" - meaning that the person who started the timer stalling will go second and the other player first.

My two cents and thanks for reading.

Hmm, are you certain of this? At first I was under the impression that this was the case, but I decided to give it a try to verify and it seems that when the player refuses to call the coin the game randomly chooses who "won" the coin flip. If you happen to win and you decide to stall that timer too, the game will choose randomly who gets to go first. In the test I did, I won the coin flip I stalled and, after refusing to choose who went first, the game made me go first.

It's possible it used to work like you describe but it got changed already. I really don't know, I've been gone for a while and I only returned a few days ago. My memory on little details like this one really isn't that great xd

That said, I do think that giving the choice to the other player in the event that the one calling stalls sounds better than a randomly determined outcome (although the random outcome is still better than a mechanic that can be manipulated every time).

I never noticed about it. However, if works this way this requires to be fixed IMO.

'Til now just thought opponents could be a little AFK or absent minded. Now thinking if some of the players that didn't chose a coin flip could be exploiting the system.

1 hour ago, Toklopo said:

However, this could result in an endless loop of "coin flip stalling", therefore if the other player is also unable or unwilling to give a response, the game should just proceed with the current "coin flip rules" - meaning that the person who started the timer stalling will go second and the other player first.

As necessary is to move ahead, this would also became in system exploiting as the final result would be the same as it's now after wasting a minute or more.

I said in another thread time ago, probably not popular (but who knows) but someone suggested to cut the initial coin flip times to 15 seconds and coin choose too and so. Still 10 extra seconds of the time needed but well, better 15 than 30 seconds for each part. I support the idea of cutting the time and (now comes the maybe controversial part) if no response for thrice coin flip, choosing 1st or 2nd AND Bench a pokémon, that player counts as not online so they loose the game. If you really left, you'd be going to loose anyway. If you got disconnected, loose anyway, etcetera. And if you were intentionally stalling, you deserve a little correction in your behaviour. This would benefit active players and would make the game healthier (and faster).

2 hours ago, Toklopo said:

Hi, not sure if someone has already suggested this, but I believe the "rules" for the first determining coin flip should be changed in the online client - due to the official rule changes in the physical card game, now it can often be more advantageous to go second.

However, the person who is calling the coin flip can easily force the other play to go first by stalling the timer on the coin flip screen - this way, the other player will automatically go first. I assume that this used to be a "punishment" for timer stalling, but it's not the case anymore. Obviously this is not a problem in the physical card game since you have judges present at matches and you are always required to call the coin flip. (As far as I know, at least.)

Therefore I'd suggest updating the online client as follows: if one player stalls the " coin flip timer", the other player should be given the chance to choose to go either second or first, and shouldn't automatically be forced to go first.

My two cents and thanks for reading.

Hello @Toklopo

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback to us. 

I'm forwarding this information to the development team so that this can be reviewed.