WingsofFire1014

The Staple Cards of the Standard Format\Template. BONUS: Why we use these cards (WIP). DAA Added!

WingsofFire1014
Posted (edited)

QUICK INTRODUCTION TO POKEMON AND THIS POST

Ah, the 90's. At the start of the decade, it was all board games, and technology. These two things were some of the most popular sources of entertainment. But, in August of 1993, behold Magic: The Gathering. The world was taken by storm. People loved the concept and many companies sought out to replicate Magic in their own way. Many other TCGS' were created at this time that didn't see a long life on the shelf due to "MTG" being the "the one to get". This still stands to this day for the most part. However, a couple of TCGS ' that were released not long after MTG have survived to this day. One of those being Pokemon mainly due to the success of their video game franchise. Batches of people genuinely enjoyed Pokemon as well, but alas, MTG was still the king. Since then though, many have ceased playing MTG competitively to come play Pokemon for motives of their own. Yes playing a TCG is not always an uncomplicated task. But here, you can acquire a portion of knowledge regarding the best of the best card-wise for the "PTCG". As of the 2020 standard format, the cards listed on this post will be the the majority of the "staple" cards with a few exceptions. If you are unaware of what a staple card is, it is in brief, a card to consider using in almost every single one of your decks regardless of the goals of your deck etc.

So to summarize, this isn't a Deck building guide, it is essentially a Deck template if you will.

WHAT IS A DECK TEMPLATE?

In the "PTCG" a Deck template is a set of cards that you should desire to consider using some of in every deck. Start by putting the template/staple cards in your deck and adding/subtracting the amount of copies that you utilize of each card so that it suits you and your deck. But remember to consistently have some of the staples in every single one of your decks (more info on this as you read).

WHY WOULD YOU USE A DECK TEMPLATE?

A deck template provides a starting point for each and every one of your decks. If you are stuck and don't know where relatively to start, then throw together this template, or whatever other one that suites you the best. If you are an experienced player, there isn't much need for one, unless you are fond of having the comfort of a starting point (I know I like one myself).

THE STAPLE CARDS OF THE CURRENT STANDARD FORMAT\TEMPLATE (2020)

• KEY: (#-#)= Amount of copies to play. Note Max=4

• NOTE #1: I give a description of these cards in my own way. I don't copy word for word what the real card says.

• NOTE #2: All of the cards below are most of the cards that you want to use in your deck template. I don't really touch on the word "template" from this point on.

• NOTE #3: The average prices of the cards are updated every 3 weeks to a month. The higher rarity of the cards won't be updated as frequently as the regular versions.

• FA= Full Art

• SR= Secret Rare

POKEMON

1. (1-3) Dedenne GX (Unbroken Bonds): As with Jirachi, we only focus on one thing here, and that is once more the ability. It allows you to once during your turn, when you play a Dedenne GX from your hand onto your bench, discard your hand and draw 6 cards.

2. (1-3) Crobat V (Darkness Ablaze): The second coming of Shaymin EX, letting you draw cards until you have 6 in your hand when you bench him through use of his ability. Although, you can only use the ability once per turn.

TRAINERS

1. (1-4) Professor's Research (Sword and Shield). Discard your hand and draw 7 cards. That's all.

2. (1-3) Marnie (Sword and Shield). Each player shuffles their hand, and puts it on the bottom of their deck. You (as in the person who played the card) draw 5 cards and your opponent draws 4. Shuffle your deck afterward (same for opponent).

3. (1-4) Boss's Orders (Rebel Clash). Simply put, switch one of your opponents benched Pokemon with their active Pokemon.

4. (2-4) Quick Ball (Sword and Shield). If you discard a card from your hand, you can search your deck for a basic Pokemon and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

5. (2-4) Switch (Sword and Shield is the most recent release of this card). The card says what the title says it does. All you do, is switch your active Pokemon, with one of your benched Pokemon.

(Now, all of these might seem simple. Maybe almost too simple to consider using all of the time, but read on to figure out why the are so effective yet so simple at the same time).

PRICE TABLE:       

Notes:

• Last update on prices in update notes 1 post below

• 8-21-20: Dedenne GX took a pretty good but in price, and Boss's Orders is going up. Other than that, we're pretty stable.

Dedenne GX  Switch Professor's Research Marnie Boss's Orders Quick Ball  Crobat V

AVERAGE PRICE: $12

FA: $23

SR: $30

AVERAGE PRICE: (Under $1)

SR (Sun and Moon base): $34

AVERAGE PRICE: $1

FA: $16

SR: $15

FA: $32

SR: $30

AVERAGE PRICE: $7

FA: $38

SR: $40

SR: $37

AVERAGE PRICE:$22

FA:$35

WHY WE USE THESE CARDS

SHORT ANSWER: SYNERGY          LONG ANSWER: READ ON

Lets say that you're a beginner player, and you throw together something like this.

EXAMPLE #1- Draw Support

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE DECK. EXPANDED CARDS INCLUDED AS WELL

1-(Unified Minds) Mewtwo and Mew Tag Team GX

1-(Hidden Fates NOT SHINY) Charizard GX

1-(Burning Shadows) Kiawe

4 Fire energy

You wanted Charizard GX because he is powerful and does a abundance of damage! You said to yourself while you were constructing this, "why would I want to use Professor's Research? I work hard so that every card in this "deck" has a point only to have to discard them? Never."

You get in the match and put Mewtwo and Mew Tag Team GX in the active slot. You draw a Kiawe and load up Mewtwo and Mew. It gets back to your turn and you draw your Charizard GX. You're thinking "Sweet, I'm gonna win now!" But you realize that you have no fire energy left to attach to it. You think, "Well that's okay, I'll just discard it and use Mewtwo and Mew's ability to attack with it. Wait, I didn't put any discarding material in my deck did I..."

This can happen very often to newer players. They tend to be shy towards this particular aspect. Discarding even helps getting rid of cards that you don't NEED anymore etc.

Crobat V is also in the format, now letting us draw cards when we bench him. There will be times ever now and then when you really can't discard this one specific card, so that's where Crobat V comes into play, and plus, it's just a good card in general. You always want to have an effective draw engine in general, and this card will only add to the good pool of options that we currently have.

Professor's Research= Use.         Dedenne GX= Use.          Crobat V= Use. 

EXAMPLE #2- Disruption & handling your tools

You have a hand of cards and you don't want to discard them, but there is a car mandatory that you have not drawn into yet.

Well you finally put a Professor's Research into your deck and it is currently in your hand. You use an Acro Bike and grab a Marnie. You see that you can now possibly get the card you need without having to discard your other cards!

Or maybe there is a card that you know your opponent has that will win them the game on their next turn it you don't do something. However, you again need a card. So, you play a Marnie, get rid of your opponents key card, and get your key card!

You need to be able to manage your resources at all time. Think a turn through and do something like this before doing something that is witty and not smart. Look at all of the possibilities and choose the one that gives you the best chance of winning, not the one that just helps you briefly and temporary scares your foe. 

Marnie= Use.

EXAMPLE #3- Gusting

"Gusting" as it is called is very clutch. These kind of cards can be underestimated by new players because they really just want to hit hard on their opponents active Pokemon. But gusting is one of the most useful abilities as it can let you make quick work of one of your opponent 's key Pokemon.

We now have the second coming of Lysandre. Boss's Orders will be an abused card, and there's a reason for that. Like I have said earlier, knocking out one of your opponents key Pokemon\key set-up Pokemon is very powerful. It can slow them down, and this card will often end games with the final strike. It is a supporter, and again, like I have said earlier, it's not all about just focusing on your opponents current active Pokemon, you have to get rid of what's keeping them alive\running in their deck. Survey the playing field. Unless you can win the game, don't go for a cheap knockout against cards like Dedenne GX. Go get their key(s).

Boss's Orders= Use.

EXAMPLE #4- Pokemon Searching

You're a beginner player and you are working on building a deck. You scroll through your trainer cards and notice a bunch of cards that allow you to search your deck for Pokemon. You think that is a waste of time as you say to yourself, "Why would I use these when I can just play a bunch of Hau, Prof. Research and others to eventually get to all of them by drawing?"

If you have ever told yourself this, then you were thinking wrong. Every Pokemon is in a deck for a purpose and you should always make sure that you use it to fulfill that purpose. Setting up is crucial and you need to make sure that you get your engine out there. An engine example would be Malamar (Forbidden Light), with Giritina. You need to get your Malamars out there so you can start running your deck engine as soon as possible. If you just tried to draw into them, you might succeed every now and then, but the majority of attempts like these will be to no avail.

Use ball search and get what you need out there when you need it out there. Don't just go with whatever you draw into. Don't use cards like Pokeball though. It's mainly luck based. Use the ones that guarantee you a certain Pokemon and discard what you no longer need. 

Quick Ball=Use.

EXAMPLE #5- Switching

NOTE FOR REFERENCE WHILE READING THROUGH THIS SECTION: (THE CARD AIR BALLOON MAKES THE RETREAT COST OF THE CARD THAT IT IS ATTACHED TO COST TWO LESS)

By now, you probably truly realize how such simple cards, have such meaningful effects. To add, considering how our format is right now, being able to switch is so important.

You have a Zacian V in the active spot, but you used brave blade on your last turn so you can't attack this turn (with that card, unless you switch it in and back out).(Now, its obvious that a lot of decks are running Air Balloon, but some decks aren't, so I'm giving this example just to inform you newer players that may be reading this why switching is so important). So, you end up realizing that you have no way to switch it to where you can attack with something else, or just protect it for a turn or two.

Maybe your active Pokemon had to discard energy to attack on your last turn, maybe it got paralyzed (you can get rid of this through some items cards though).

And there are so many other additional reasons why switching is so important. You want to have something out there, when you actually need it out there. Sitting ducks should be avoided whenever possible.

Spoiler

Thank you for reading. Brief notes about this post are listed below. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

ALWAYS KEEP IN MIND THAT THE SITUATIONS THAT I CAME UP WITH FOR THE EXAMPLES AREN'T USUALLY GOING TO HAPPEN IN THE WAY DESCRIBED BY THE EXAMPLES

Now I am aware that I didn't include some other pretty good cards, but I am really looking towards the future with this thread. 

Always remember that this is a WIP (Work In Progress). Updates will come as deemed necessary.

Edited by WingsofFire1014
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

WingsofFire1014
Posted (edited)

ONLY THE THREE MOST RECENT DAYS OF UPDATE NOTES STAY ON HERE. PUTTING ON ALL WOULD IN THE FUTURE MAKE IT TOO LONG.

THERE WILL NOT BE AN UPDATE EVERY DAY.

UPDATE NOTES: 8-21-20

DAEKNESS ABLAZE ADDED. THE PRICE TABLE WAS UPDATED AS WELL.

UPDATE NOTES: 9-7-20

CYNTHIA AND ANYTHING AFFILIATED WITH IT REMOVED. OTHER THINGS HAVE BEEN REMOVED AS WELL.

UPDATE NOTES: 9-13-20

JIRACHI (TU) AND ANYTHING AFFILIATED WITH IT REMOVED. SWITCH ADDED.

WHAT'S COMING UP TO THE POST

• PRICE UPDATE SOON

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

WingsofFire1014
Posted (edited)

UPCOMING SET: S&H: CHAMPIONS PATH     TO BE RELEASED ON: TBA        MOST RECENT SET: DAA/DARKNESS ABLAZE

POTENTIAL STAPLES FROM THE UPCOMING SET: NEXT UPCOMING SET: 

NOTE: FOR THE POTENTIAL STAPLES SECTION I WILL ONLY ADD CARDS TO IT ONCE I SEE THAT THE POTENTIAL STAPLES ARE BEING PRINTED IN ENGLISH.

WingsofFire's Giveaway

RULE 1: IF YOU ARE GOING TO ENTER, GO AHEAD AND SEND ME A FR IN GAME. SCREEN NAME SAME AS IN GAME. THIS PREVENTS THE HASSLE OF DOING IT LATER. IF YOU ARE ALREADY ON MY FRIENDS LIST, THEN YOU'RE GOOD.

RULE: 2: ONLY ONE GUESS WILL BE ALLOWED PER PERSON. AN ADDITIONAL GUESS IS PERMITTED IF I GIVE ANOTHER CLUE. 

For this giveaway, I will be having you all guess something. You will be guessing the Sun and Moon set that I selected, and if you get it right, you win a pack from that series. 1 clue will be given out unless more are needed. I will be doing this for every Sun and Moon set. Inspiration is from @SlowPokéDad's code giveaway thread.

The clue will be related to the set name, or a card(s) in the set. It can also be something totally random XD.

If you win, you will receive your prize when I can get it to you 😀

If you win (no matter how many times), you can still participate.

Giveaways will happen when I feel like it XD.

1st Winner: @SlyFive0: Prize received

2nd Winner: @SalmancerPrize received

3rd Winner: @ChasistaPrize received

4th Winner: @LalamonPrize received

5th Winner: @NL168Prize received

6th Winner: @ChasistaPrize received

7th Winner: @Mielekki: Prize received

8th Winner: @NL168Prize received

9th Winner: @NL168Prize received

10th Winner: @NL168Prize received

11th Winner: @Dirnt54Prize received

12th Winner: @Dirnt54Prize received

13th Winner: @MBehlPrize received

14th Winner: @Dirnt54Prize pending

Good luck!

😀

• Upvote 3

Ash101416744

Would Green's Exploration still be considered a staple card. I know that's popularity has gone down as well as the Gardeon deck, but still...

teeteero

Thanks very much, found this very helpful - excellent write-up for new players (like me!). 👍

teeteero

I have seen Rosa/Volkner in several deck lists - would either/both of those be considered as staples for a deck template?

SandaledOtter
36 minutes ago, teeteero said:

I have seen Rosa/Volkner in several deck lists - would either/both of those be considered as staples for a deck template?

I would say neither belongs in every deck, so isn't quite a staple. Rosa is certainly more useful than Volkner, which only really works in decks, but should probably be in nearly any deck of the type.

• Upvote 1

WingsofFire1014
3 hours ago, Ash101416744 said:

Would Green's Exploration still be considered a staple card. I know that's popularity has gone down as well as the Gardeon deck, but still...

Probably not.

Like you mentioned, Gardeon is not very popular anymore and as an added bonus, we of course have the turn 1 supporter rule. Gardeon truly thrived off of a first then Green's Exploration.

49 minutes ago, teeteero said:

Thanks very much, found this very helpful - excellent write-up for new players (like me!). 👍

Thanks for the kudos!

47 minutes ago, teeteero said:

Like SandaledOtter said Volkner really only works in Lightning decks.

As for Rosa, I feel that not every deck is looking for recovery options. That is what Rosa provides. Rosa will probably be the next teammates. Great card, but never quite a staple.

• Upvote 1

teeteero

Appreciate the comments @SandaledOtter and @WingsofFire1014.

Trying to build a baseline of 'must have' trainer cards as I experiment with standard deck builds based on the theme decks I have and this is a huge help.

SandaledOtter
3 hours ago, teeteero said:

Appreciate the comments @SandaledOtter and @WingsofFire1014.

Trying to build a baseline of 'must have' trainer cards as I experiment with standard deck builds based on the theme decks I have and this is a huge help.

Indeed. I got a bit lost when all my decks left Standard at the same time, and haven't really recovered from that.

Mod_Alder

Hello Trainers, 

I am very impressed with this post WingsofFire1014 lots of good information here. Thank you for taking the time to give us such detailed information.

WingsofFire1014
On 3/6/2020 at 1:57 AM, Mod_Alder said:

Hello Trainers, 

I am very impressed with this post WingsofFire1014 lots of good information here. Thank you for taking the time to give us such detailed information.

Thank you for the kind words @Mod_Alder

teeteero

For those of us who are new/new-ish to PTCGO, the TEU Jirachi and UNB Dedenne GX cards are not easy to acquire. 😕

Guessing that the only choices are to either trade for them in-game or buy codes? 

WingsofFire1014
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, teeteero said:

For those of us who are new/new-ish to PTCGO, the TEU Jirachi and UNB Dedenne GX cards are not easy to acquire. 😕

Guessing that the only choices are to either trade for them in-game or buy codes? 

Yes this is true. That's almost the only way to require them. YOUR OTHER OPTION IS TO BUY THE CARD DIGITALLY OFF OF SITES. I know the best site for it but I forgot that you can't post those kind of things. It just censors it out.

I mentioned that the Jirachi is not cheap, but I left it out for Dedenne GX even though it's the same deal there.

How about I update it sometime during next week and add the average prices of each of those cards. This COULD help a good deal of unaware players.

• Like 1

teeteero
5 hours ago, WingsofFire1014 said:

Yes this is true. That's almost the only way to require them. YOUR OTHER OPTION IS TO BUY THE CARD DIGITALLY OFF OF SITES. I know the best site for it but I forgot that you can't post those kind of things. It just censors it out.

I mentioned that the Jirachi is not cheap, but I left it out for Dedenne GX even though it's the same deal there.

How about I update it sometime during next week and add the average prices of each of those cards. This COULD help a good deal of unaware players.

That would make an awesome post even awesomer! 

But it's unfortunate that we n00bs will struggle to progress with those two key Pokemon being so scarce and no worthy substitutes to consider.

WingsofFire1014
On 3/7/2020 at 11:39 PM, teeteero said:

That would make an awesome post even awesomer! 

But it's unfortunate that we n00bs will struggle to progress with those two key Pokemon being so scarce and no worthy substitutes to consider.

Yes, not having those cards can make it difficult, but you can still win without them. I had to for a long time.

You can find decks that don't have to use these, or decks that can live without them. Maybe one day we will get a good enough substitute. Until then, we just have to use what we have to the best of our abilities.

teeteero
3 hours ago, WingsofFire1014 said:

You can find decks that don't have to use these, or decks that can live without them. Maybe one day we will get a good enough substitute. Until then, we just have to use what we have to the best of our abilities.

That's a good point. Not to go off-topic too much, but I have been trying to build a Goon deck online and I have found a few deck lists from the recent Japanese tourneys that don't rely on Jirachis. Bit slower to get set up and have bricked a few times, but playable, so there are alternates that work but not to the same degree as decks with Jirachis/Dedennes.

• Upvote 1

WingsofFire1014
On 3/10/2020 at 7:42 PM, teeteero said:

That's a good point. Not to go off-topic too much, but I have been trying to build a Goon deck online and I have found a few deck lists from the recent Japanese tourneys that don't rely on Jirachis. Bit slower to get set up and have bricked a few times, but playable, so there are alternates that work but not to the same degree as decks with Jirachis/Dedennes.

Sorry for the late response. It's been awhile since I checked the responses on this thread.

Yes, you just summarized it.

Also, keep this in mind even though it is too off-topic. If you ever get one of those cards (Jirachi or Dedenne GX), or have one, DON'T TRADE IT even though It is at times rather tempting. I have a holo Jirachi, and I have seen some insane offers for it.

I made this mistake once by trading a Dedenne GX. I regret it, although I have never since really needed the card for the decks that I run.

There is a decent chance that you have heard this before, but it never hurts to hear it again.

• Upvote 1

WingsofFire1014

Made like 3 minor changes but they aren't worth putting in the update post. I'm going to try and use that section for larger updates only.

The average prices of the cards will be updated here in a few days.

On 3/5/2020 at 9:26 PM, SandaledOtter said:

Indeed. I got a bit lost when all my decks left Standard at the same time, and haven't really recovered from that.

Maybe this is the reason that I don't play that much standard XD.

I'm hoping that they keep B&W around for at least one more expanded rotation, but I have a gut feeling that's telling me that they won't.

I try to plan ahead of a rotation when I play standard so I'm not totally lost. a method I use is that I practice with whatever deck specifically WITHOUT the cards that are going to be rotated. It helps me personally. Gives me a feel for how the deck is going to play, even though of course things will still at least change slightly after rotation. For example, the decks that I face will be different.

SandaledOtter
5 hours ago, WingsofFire1014 said:

Made like 3 minor changes but they aren't worth putting in the update post. I'm going to try and use that section for larger updates only.

The average prices of the cards will be updated here in a few days.

Maybe this is the reason that I don't play that much standard XD.

I'm hoping that they keep B&W around for at least one more expanded rotation, but I have a gut feeling that's telling me that they won't.

I try to plan ahead of a rotation when I play standard so I'm not totally lost. a method I use is that I practice with whatever deck specifically WITHOUT the cards that are going to be rotated. It helps me personally. Gives me a feel for how the deck is going to play, even though of course things will still at least change slightly after rotation. For example, the decks that I face will be different.

I was just having too much fun with Lost March to even think about newer stuff. I guess I should do Dedenne GX and Mew3 decks before they go away.

WingsofFire1014
On 3/27/2020 at 8:14 PM, SandaledOtter said:

I was just having too much fun with Lost March to even think about newer stuff. I guess I should do Dedenne GX and Mew3 decks before they go away.

That is totally understandable. The game is supposed to be fun after all.

Keep in mind guys that I am forming a plan to where I can still have a giveaway sort of thing. I enjoy doing it. It will be different than the past one, and I plan to stay on top of it this time. Also, there have been two updates in the past couple of days that deal with the prices of the cards on the list if none of you noticed. Thanks for the support!

WingsofFire1014
Posted (edited)

Alrighty guys, the first giveaway is live! Read the third post on this thread for info. Feel free to ask if you have any questions!

First clue isn't easy, for now, try to avoid looking things up XD. Once you guess, feel free to let me know how you came to that conclusion!

First clue,

Roll tide! Roll!

• Upvote 1

Salmancer

Dragon Majesty

WingsofFire1014
12 hours ago, Salmancer said:

Dragon Majesty

Nope, sorry.

BugMasterPkmn
Posted (edited)

I believe it's a reference to Donphan. So the collection would be SM Lost Thunder

Edited by BugMasterPkmn