[Mac] Crashing - Crashing when I start QR Reader

gameguy411

The app has been continually crashing the moment I click to start the QR reader and start reading my codes. I've tried uninstalling the app, deleting the unity folder, emptying the bin, restarting, and then re-installing TCGO, but it makes no difference. As soon as I click "Start QR Reader" the app crashes. Any suggestions for a different fix so I can redeem these codes?

Running a Macbook Air, 10.15.3, OS Catalina. Newest version of TCGO straight from the site because I've had to delete and install it twice.

Thanks,

On 2/17/2020 at 9:06 PM, gameguy411 said:

The app has been continually crashing the moment I click to start the QR reader and start reading my codes. I've tried uninstalling the app, deleting the unity folder, emptying the bin, restarting, and then re-installing TCGO, but it makes no difference. As soon as I click "Start QR Reader" the app crashes. Any suggestions for a different fix so I can redeem these codes?

Running a Macbook Air, 10.15.3, OS Catalina. Newest version of TCGO straight from the site because I've had to delete and install it twice.

Thanks,

Hello @gameguy411

I'm sorry to hear you run into this issue. 

There are a couple of possible solutions, and though you may have tried some, I'm listing them all: 

First, go into your Applications folder and open the 'Pokémon Online Trading Card Game' folder.

Move the application from this to the main Applications folder and then delete the empty TCGO folder.

If this does not work, then please proceed to try a 'full' uninstall by following these specific steps:
1. Delete your TCGO folder (along with any downloaded installers/versions of the game).
2. Click on 'Go' located on your top window, press the 'alt/option' key and select 'Library'.
3. Go to 'Cache' folder. Delete any Pokémon related folders you find.
4. From the 'Library' again, go to 'Saved Application State' and delete "unity.The Pokémon Company International.Refresher.savedState" folder.
5. Empty your trash, restart your Mac, and visit this page to download the latest installer.

Second, if you still encounter the same issue, please try the following:
1. Go to the Applications folder and the Pokémon Online Trading Card Game folder.
2. Right-click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents.'
3. In the resulting folder, go into 'Contents' and then 'MacOS'
4. There will be a file called Pokemon Trading Card Game Online. Launch this file. It will open a terminal which will run before the game launches.

You should then be able to close the Terminal and run the game as normal.

Third, if your issue persists, please check if you meet the minimum requirements for the TCGO and then submit a ticket to our support team with a System Snapshot so that this can be investigated further.

You can do this by:
1. Go to Applications > Utilities > System Profiler/Information.
2. When the application has finished compiling the data, click File and then Save/Save As.
3. Save the file to your desktop and attach it to your ticket. 

Hope this helps!

Woah, strange. The first solve didn't work, but going into the Applications contents and clicking through terminal now allows the QR reader to not crash. Do you know if I'll need to do this everytime @Mod_GuruLot?

Thanks!

On 2/19/2020 at 6:10 PM, gameguy411 said:

Woah, strange. The first solve didn't work, but going into the Applications contents and clicking through terminal now allows the QR reader to not crash. Do you know if I'll need to do this everytime @Mod_GuruLot?

Thanks!

Hello @gameguy411

I'm glad to hear it works. You're very welcome! :)

Q: Do you know if I'll need to do this everytime @Mod_GuruLot?

A: Hopefully not. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is more than likely due to the fact that the online client is not requesting permission to use the camera properly, however, when running through Terminal, the Terminal app is requesting the permission (correctly) and so it works.  I have this same issue and the same solution #2 above solved the problem.  Reverting back to the old way of starting the client still causes the crash.  In other words, the devs need to fix the client so that it requests camera permission properly.

• Mod_RedDragon changed the title to [Mac] Crashing - Crashing when I start QR Reader
On 3/4/2020 at 1:10 AM, liteFlash said:

This is more than likely due to the fact that the online client is not requesting permission to use the camera properly, however, when running through Terminal, the Terminal app is requesting the permission (correctly) and so it works.  I have this same issue and the same solution #2 above solved the problem.  Reverting back to the old way of starting the client still causes the crash.  In other words, the devs need to fix the client so that it requests camera permission properly.

Hello @liteFlash

Welcome to the forum!  :)

That's a good point, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with the forum. 

Hello Trainers!

Thank you for your reports! It does appear that the development team is aware of this issue. They hope to have a fix released with the next update. In the meantime you can try the workaround below. 

1. At the top left of the menu bar on your Mac select the Apple button.
2. Select System Preferences…
3. Select Security & Privacy
4. Scroll down to Camera on the left then select the checkbox so that it’s enabled for PTCGO.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm also running into this issue currently. I can confirm that the app does have Camera permissions enabled in Security & Privacy as well.

Also tried running the game through the package contents and terminal as described above, but the app still crashed when I clicked on the camera.

I'll submit a support ticket with the details, but would appreciate any updates into how to solve this problem. I've got QR codes stacking up on my desk from the kids :)