Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Alphaia_CORP

[CARD] Pokemon Checkup Snorlax Ability Healing

Recommended Posts

Alphaia_CORP

Snorlax 158/214 UNB has an ability that heals 10 damage between turns. Before the Pokemon Checkup rule change, you'd have survived 150 damage because the Snorlax would heal 10 damage after getting the damage. But now, the Pokemon are checked to be Knocked Out before the abilities.

 

However, I am prettery sure that in the TCG you can choose whether to check for KO and apply ability in an order.

 

I am quite confused as because before the Snorlax would survive with 150 damage taked out of its 150 HP but now it doesn't...

 

Why doesn't the ability work like Donphan 112/214 LOT?

 

Thank you.

 

Edited by Alphaia_CORP
spoiler tags included to reduce the post size, title updated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mod_GuruLot
32 minutes ago, Alphaia_CORP said:

Snorlax 158/214 UNB has an ability that heals 10 damage between turns. Before the Pokemon Checkup rule change, you'd have survived 150 damage because the Snorlax would heal 10 damage after getting the damage. But now, the Pokemon are checked to be Knocked Out before the abilities.

 

However, I am prettery sure that in the TCG you can choose whether to check for KO and apply ability in an order.

 

I am quite confused as because before the Snorlax would survive with 150 damage taked out of its 150 HP but now it doesn't...

 

Why doesn't the ability work like Donphan 112/214 LOT?

 

Here is the problem in lines 90 & 94


Game Log Output Begins Here:
  

  Reveal hidden contents

 

Thank you.

 

 

Hello @Alphaia_CORP

 

I'm sorry to hear you run into this possible bug. 

 

Thank you for providing the game log for this. It's useful for the investigation. 

 

Your topic has been updated to include spoiler tags. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chasista

It's a different ability than Donphan's. Either way imagine it's like if Donphan would come back from KO with 10HP if it would be KOed. But Snorlax is KOed and once KOed, the ability doesn't save him. Donphan is not healed, the ability places an effect on it but doesn't heal.

 

You said, rules change. The KO is checked before the Between turns period. We will need to get used to.

 

I'm not an expert, if anyone can say that's @TPCi_Mathis but this probably works as intended.

Edited by Chasista

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TPCi_Mathis

Working as intended. Damage/effects and KOs from attacks are resolved during the attack phase of the active player's turn. Pokémon Checkup occurs after the active player's turn ends, but before the next player's turn starts. Snorlax has already been KO'd and removed from play before Lazy Eating ever has a chance to trigger. Sturdy is specifically worded to trigger during the attack phase after the damage is calculated but before the damage counters are placed on Donphan.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alphaia_CORP

I don't understand as in the Pokémon Checkup section here https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/changes-coming-to-the-pokemon-tcg-with-sword-shield/, it says to check the abillities that happen during Pokémon Checkup, and above it says that the 'term called Pokémon Checkup will replace the phrase “between turns,” but it works the same way'. Therefore, I think that Snorlax should be at 150 HP, apply ability recovering 10 HP from it, then check for a Knockout which would return false, and Snorlax still is in the game.

 

Also, the webpage says 'but it works the same way' and this should mean that everything happens as prior to the rule change, but this is not the case.

 

Could you please tell me if I am wrong as I still don't understand fully.

P.S. I understand why Donphan works the way it does now, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alphaia_CORP

On the webpage it seems to indicate that Knockouts are checked last (as would make sense as you wouldn't want to check for a knockout, apply poison and see a Pokémon survive with no health left :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SandaledOtter
38 minutes ago, Alphaia_CORP said:

I don't understand as in the Pokémon Checkup section here https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/changes-coming-to-the-pokemon-tcg-with-sword-shield/, it says to check the abillities that happen during Pokémon Checkup, and above it says that the 'term called Pokémon Checkup will replace the phrase “between turns,” but it works the same way'. Therefore, I think that Snorlax should be at 150 HP, apply ability recovering 10 HP from it, then check for a Knockout which would return false, and Snorlax still is in the game.

 

Also, the webpage says 'but it works the same way' and this should mean that everything happens as prior to the rule change, but this is not the case.

 

Could you please tell me if I am wrong as I still don't understand fully.

P.S. I understand why Donphan works the way it does now, thanks!

 

34 minutes ago, Alphaia_CORP said:

On the webpage it seems to indicate that Knockouts are checked last (as would make sense as you wouldn't want to check for a knockout, apply poison and see a Pokémon survive with no health left :)

 

You're reading the part about "Pokemon Checkup," and it does indeed include the step "Check to see if any Pokémon are Knocked Out," but the entire checkup phase happens AFTER your turn ends.

 

Before that is the attack, and during the attack, you ALSO check to see if the Pokemon is knocked out. This is step 3)C) on page 14 of the newest rulebook, which is a .pdf download on the web site https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/rules

 

Quote

C) PUT damage counters on your opponent’s Active Pokémon.


When you attack, put 1 damage counter on your opponent’s Active Pokémon for each
10 damage your Pokémon’s attack does (written to the right of the attack name). In the
example to the left, Scorbunny’s Tackle attack does 10 damage. Then, Grookey’s Weakness  
of ×2 to Pokémon makes that 10 ×2 = 20 damage. So put 2 damage counters on Grookey.
If an attack says to do something else, be sure to do that, too!
Your attack is complete, so check to see if any Pokémon were Knocked Out by the attack.
Some attacks can damage more than one Pokémon, and sometimes they can even  
damage the Attacking Pokémon! So, make sure to check every Pokémon that was affected  
by the attack.
If a Pokémon has total damage at least equal to its HP (for example, 5 or more damage
counters on a Pokémon with 50 HP), it is Knocked Out. If a player’s Pokémon is Knocked Out,
that player puts it and all cards attached to it in the discard pile. That player’s opponent takes  
1 of their own Prize cards and puts it into their hand.
The player whose Pokémon was Knocked Out chooses a new Active Pokémon from their
Bench. If your opponent can’t do this because their Bench is empty (or for any other reason),
you win the game! If your opponent still has Pokémon in play,
but you just took your last Prize card, you also win the game!

 

D) Your turn is over.


Next, you take care of a few special things during Pokémon Checkup.

 

Edited by SandaledOtter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alphaia_CORP

I get it now! I guess the rule change also changed how Snorlax would work. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...