Vinderex

Rate my deck. Help me make it better!

Vinderex

My current deck was built off of a Clanging Thunder theme deck (Kommo-o is my favorite pokemon.  lol)  And with the way I have it now, I've found that it's pretty hit-or-miss. If I'm able to get what I need when I need it, it can be extremely effective,  but... well,  cursed hands tend to be a serious problem.  So I'm looking for advice on how to modify it to make it more consistently effective.

Here's the current deck:

7 Electric Energy

10 Fighting Energy

4 Double Dragon Energy

3 Jangmo-o (S/M CI 75 )

3 Hakamo-o (S/M CI  76)

2 Kommo-o (S/M DM  54)

1 Kommo-o GX (Promo)

3 Trapinch (S/M CE 108)

3 Vibrava (S/M DM  38)

2 Flygon (S/M DM  39)

2 Drampa (S/M GR  97)

2 Emolga (S/M CI  35)

2 Solrock (S/M BS  69)

2 Professor Kukui

3 Hau

1 Pokemon Center Lady

1 Devoured Field

2 Nest Ball

2 Timer Ball

1 Exp Share

1 Rescue Stretcher

1 Switch

1 Energy Retrieval

1 Escape Rope

I'm aware of the trick of using Magcargo (S/M CS) for its Smooth Over ability,  but how many of it and Slugma should I include in my deck, and what should they replace?  And since I lack any fire energies,  would there be a more viable option to use instead of them?  I know that Seismitoad (S/M CE) has a similar ability, and better matches my energies,  but it's also a Stage 2 instead of a Stage 1, which would make it more difficult to get it into play.  So would Magcargo still be better even despite my lack of Fire energy?

I'm also considering including Pidgey and Pidgeotto (S/M TU) so that the Air Mail ability paired with Smooth Over would allow me to immediately draw the card I need instead of having to wait for my next turn and risk being forced to shuffle.   Good idea?  Is there a better option for a pokemon with a similar ability?  And what should I have them replace if they're included?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can offer!

Edited by Vinderex

SlyFive0

One thing I might suggest is taking a look at Rare Candy. Two evolutions can be a pain to set up. 

Also, Cynthia and Tate & Liza are better draw. 1 more Switch too. 

Brock's Grit and Pal Pad could help recover many things.  Brock's Grit shuffles up to 6 pokemon and energy. Pal Pad shuffles 2 supporters back into the deck. 

Hope this helps. 

Chasista

New player "problems". Too many energies. Too much pokémon. Low amount of trainers.

Look for 15-30-15. Is better to have balls and items to look for energies and pokémon than to expect to draw from pile having a lot in the deck. But will you get them in the right moment?

This is expanded so, check Ace specs, just to know what they are and keep it in mind for the future. Also, check Vs seeker. 4 of them have been staple in every single deck ever, since they release. Now some decks play just 3.

Remove all Hau, also P Center lady. This is expanded so add a couple N (Full AA now final prize in ladder, but regular ones are cheap). Other staple trainers for Expanded are Prof Juniper/Sycamore/Prof research (Magnolia) and Colress. Guzma and/or Lysandre are very welcome. Cynthia can be also there.

To find your special energies try Energy loto. Also Guzma & Hala TT is very good.

The Magcargo engine can work. Also the Pidgeotto's. You don't need any fire energy, you're not planing to attack with any of these. You need tho some switch/Float stone/etcetera (also Guzma) just in case opponent makes it active. Usually a 2-2 line is enough although you can use 2-1 and some recovery items (Super rod, Ordinary rod, Rescue stretcher...) or 3-2. I'd try 2-2 and then if works is ok, if don't I'd add some more.

Use balls (Quick ball, Mysterious treasure, Nest ball, Ultra ball, Level ball, Heavy ball if would fit...) to get the desired pokémon in the moment you need it.

Personally I don't like Timer ball. Evosoda is not the same but you can't miss with them. I'd cut Solrock, Emolga and Drampa. Focus on your attackers and the support pokémon (the engines, like Magcargo and so).

As said, Rare candies would be very helpful. You can cut some stage 1 if you have Rare candies. Your goal are the Stage 2 so you should jump over the middle stages to be faster. Check Zinnia and specially Lance Prism star (you can directly bench a couple Stage 2 with him)

3 stadiums and a Field blower, would be great to fight for the stadiums war.

Vinderex

Thanks for the tips!

Don't yet have all the cards you mentioned,  but I tried revising the deck with what I was able to and playing with it last night.   Still had the problem of cursed hands (mainly because I kept flipping double tails when I tried using the timer balls)  but once I finally was able to get Magcargo and Pidgeotto out, I sweeped my opponent pretty easily with him only taking 1 prize card due to a careless mistake on my part.  But well... that was only once out of 3 games.  In the other two games I had the problem of not obtaining the trainer cards I needed.  No trainers meant no usable pokemon when I needed them, so I got donked.   Did have one interesting moment though where Drampa was my only pokemon in play for quite a while, so with nowhere for his energy to go, he just held onto it and kept attacking, taking quite a few prize cards in the process.

So, here's the revised deck so far.

6 Electric Energy.  Might subtract 1 or 2 in my next revision

10 Fighting Energy.  Might subtract a few from here too

4 Double Dragon Energy

3 Jangmo-o (S/M CI 75 )  I'll be reducing this one to 2 with my next revision

2 Hakamo-o (S/M CI  76)  Once I get some Rare Candy, I plan on reducing this to 1

1 Kommo-o (S/M DM  54)

1 Kommo-o GX (Promo)

3 Trapinch (S/M CE 108)  Again will be reducing this to 2 next time

2 Vibrava (S/M DM  38)  Will also reduce this to 1 once I have some Rare Candy

2 Flygon (S/M DM  39)

2 Drampa (S/M GR  97)  Honestly somewhat reluctant to get rid of him because he seems to work well in early game for gathering energy while also dealing decent damage.  I acknowledge that he's not as great in late game though.  Might replace him once I have something better.

2 Emolga (S/M CI  35)  Wanted to keep them for now as a way to recycle discarded energy.  I intend to replace them with either Brock's Grit or Fisherman once I have more of them

2 Slugma (S/M LT 43)

1 Magcargo (S/M CS 24)

2 Pidgey (S/M TU 12)

1 Pidgeotto (S/M TU 123)

2 Professor Kukui.   Not great in terms of drawing,  but I figured the damage boost made him worth keeping.

2 Cynthia

2 Pokemon Center Lady.  Not planning on getting rid of her.  I want to have her as a means of saving Magcargo and Pidgeotto if my opponent is able to attack my bench, or if they're forced to become active.

2 Pokemon Fan Club.  A more powerful alternative to the Nest Ball,  and just one would allow me to get both of the preevolutions for my support pokemon at the same time.

1 Tate and Liza.  Could provide a switch when I need it as well as a draw when I need it.  Only have 1 at the moment, but I plan to add more when I can.

1 Fisherman.  This is another one that I currently only have 1 of, but will be getting more soon.

1 Devoured Field

2 Timer Ball.  They've proved to be unreliable, so I'll definitely be replacing them as soon as I'm able to.  Evosoda sounds like a good alternative.  Might also add a few Ultra Balls

1 Exp Share

1 Rescue Stretcher

1 Escape Rope

Edited by Vinderex

Chasista

If you have the online game, you can go to Deck manager, choose the deck then Edit (monkey wrench) and once inside, the 1st of the 4 right upper icons (the box with an arrow: Export) copies the deck list to the clipboard. Paste it here to have it ordered and with the set and number added with the official acronyms. It's a lot easier than write and the deck can be copied here and pasted back to the game (Import option).

If your main attacker is Kommo-o, I'd go with 3-1-2+1. Wouldn't be great the Stage 2 be all the GX? Kommo-o GX is 0'5 to 1 pack value so you can probably get it very cheap if you're interested.

Maybe this change would make interesting to add DCEs? (Double colorless energy) Maybe not but you can check just in case when you have the Rare candies.

Pidgeot TEU 124 have an interesting second attack. Maybe worth 1 copy for Evo/high energy usage decks. Also have free retreat.

Yet 21 pokémon and 20 energies. This is only 19 trainers. Not enough. More balls. N, Juniper/Sycamore/P research, Colress. Having Magcargo, Lillie could come helpful for when you put a card in top. A staple line could be 2N, 2 Prof Research 3-4 Cynthia (and/or 1 Colress). And a couple Guzma or Lysandre or 1+1. And if any extra needed, you can swap it for any of the previous depending on the deck strategy. Of course yet better with 3-4 Vs seeker with whom the Supporter amounts can be lower. There's one Vs Seeker in collection when you start the game so although not being very consistent, even 1 worth.

I would go with Energy retrieval, Super rod, Ordinary rod, to recover the energies, and forgot about Fisherman. Will you be able to add 4 energies in a turn? If not, then doesn't worth the Supporter turn.

I would also prioritize the Balls over the Poke fan club. Check also Prof Elm's lecture. Unable to pick Drampa and Slugma, but gets 3 of the rest instead of 2 so you choose, specially if you're getting rid of Drampa at the end.

Remember the 3 stadiums if possible.

To boost damage, also exists Choice band and Muscle band.

But you need to lower energies and pokémon first to make room for the trainers. Just copy/clone the deck again in deck manager and make a different version with 4 Cynthia, 2 N, 2 Sycamore, 1 Colress and 1 Vs seeker and 2-3 Ultraball (you should already own all these or almost) and try to get the Rare candies; to check how you move/renew your hand more often and get used to that type of playing, more competitive focused where you discard some resources to be able to move on, instead of loosing a turn because next you will be able to do something with what you have now in hand 😳 And above all, have fun 😎

Vinderex

Alright.  Cool.  I'd been playing IRL before,  but decided to give Online a try too.

Don't yet have everything I need for the deck I have in mind (missing a lot of my favorite IRL cards),  but here's the idea so far.

If it looks a bit scattered, it's because I included stuff I absolutely want regardless of if I own them,  but for everything else, I just worked with what I have.  lol

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 1 Oranguru SSH 148
* 1 Drampa GRI 97
* 2 Jangmo-o CIN 75
* 1 Zekrom DRM 46
* 1 Hakamo-o CIN 76
* 1 Vibrava DRM 38
* 2 Flygon DRM 39
* 1 Kommo-o DRM 54
* 1 Kommo-o-GX GRI 100
* 2 Trapinch CEC 108
* 2 Slugma KSS 6
* 1 Magcargo CES 24

##Trainer Cards - 28

* 1 Mallow GRI 127
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 3 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 1 Misty's Determination HIF 62
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 1 Switch SUM 132
* 1 Lucky Helmet AOR 77
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
* 1 Exp. Share SUM 118
* 4 Poké Kid SSH 173
* 1 Evosoda XY 116
* 1 Devoured Field CIN 93
* 1 Escape Rope BUS 114
* 2 Brock's Grit HIF 53
* 2 Skyla BKT 148
* 1 Tate & Liza CES 148

##Energy - 16

* 4 Lightning Energy SMEnergy 4
* 8 Fighting Energy SMEnergy 6
* 4 Double Dragon Energy ROS 97

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Chasista

Fast look

Yet not an Ace spec or Vs seeker. If you don't have or don't want to include or they are expensive, you can try other searching items like Trainers mail, Poke gear 3.0 and/or Random receiver. These could/should replace Skyla.

There are some non competitive cards at all:

Skyla: supporter turn for just a trainer. Try the above mentioned items.

Misty: this looks absolutely worthless to me

Lucky helmet: non competitive card. Doesn't fit the strategy. Add some switching item/tool instead.

Poke kid: Supporter turn for a pokémon? Use balls!!!

The second Brock: Use Super rod, Ordinary rod, Energy retrieval, Rescue stretcher, etc.

Mallow: too situational, I guess is there for Oranguru but I don't know if worth having just one. You play the deck so you know.

If you use Vs seeker, you can reuse the trainers, so just 1 Brock would be ok, for example. Even just 1 P center lady could work although if fits the strategy 2 is ok.

An N, a Colress maybe and a couple P Reserach/Juniper/Sycamore would be great.

Yet I would remove Drampa probably and low to 6 or 7 Fighting energies. That would make 30 or 31 trainers, pretty nice.

SlyFive0

The one thing just 1 stadium really isn't that suiting and 3 will help against those prism stadiums. 

Although it is in expanded, Ultra Ball is still a option.   

Vinderex

Sweet!   Made some of the suggested adjustments (don't own some of the necessary cards for all of them), and it seems to be working pretty well!  A couple cases of cursed hands have happened early in the game that caused me to not get my support pokemon out soon enough and end up paying for it,  but overall I'd say it's been working pretty well so far.   One problem I did run into with using Oranguru though was that I'd eventually end up with a very small hand if I didn't occasionally spend a Smooth Over on something like Cynthia,  and all too often there was a different card that I more urgently needed, so I just had to make do with only 1 card in my hand.    So for that I substituted Pidgeotto for Oranguru.  I figured that not requiring a discard, and thus being less of a drain on my hand size would make it worth being a little more difficult to get into play.  And also it dealt with the other problem with Oranguru of just repeatedly drawing the same card over and over again at the start of the turn

Here's the new deck

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 2 Pidgey TEU 121
* 1 Pidgeotto TEU 123
* 2 Jangmo-o CIN 75
* 1 Zekrom DRM 46   (So far he's ended up mostly playing a Tank/Substitute role, so I might consider replacing him with a higher HP and/or lower retreat cost Basic at some point.)
* 1 Hakamo-o CIN 76
* 1 Vibrava DRM 38
* 1 Flygon DRM 39
* 1 Kommo-o DRM 54
* 1 Kommo-o-GX GRI 100
* 1 Trapinch CEC 108
* 2 Slugma LOT 43
* 1 Magcargo CES 24

##Trainer Cards - 29

* 2 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
* 3 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Ordinary Rod *******
********* Candy SUM 129
* 1 Tate & Liza CES 148
* 3 Ultra Ball FLF 99   (The discard cost can be a little painful at times, so I might replace these when I have more Mysterious Treasure)
* 2 Energy Retrieval PRC 126
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 1 Switch SUM 132
* 1 Evosoda XY 116
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119  (Yes, she draws 1 less card than Research/Juniper/Sycamore/etc.  But I still prefer her because she doesn't discard.  Really sucks having to discard when I have a card in my hand that will be important later and won't be retrievable)
* 2 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93  (I prefer her over items because, more often than not, I've had a small hand in late game when I'm most needing heals.  So until that problem is addressed, using just 1 PCL  per turn for a decent heal seems far more effective than hoping I have enough potions at the right time or needing to invest a few Smooth Over uses into getting them in advance.)
* 1 Brock's Grit HIF 53
* 1 Lance {*} DRM 61   (LOVE it!  Thank you for suggesting him!)
* 1 Escape Rope BUS 114
* 1 VS Seeker PHF 109  (Only have the 1 at the moment,  but I'll definitely try to get more!)

##Energy - 16

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

SlyFive0

Way to many lines of 2-1's. Try to thin down your lines a bit, here is the way I would try:

##Pokémon 
* 3 Jangmo-o CIN 75
* 1 Zekrom DRM 46   (So far he's ended up mostly playing a Tank/Substitute role, so I might consider replacing him with a higher HP and/or lower retreat cost Basic at some point.)
* 2 Hakamo-o CIN 76
* 1 Vibrava DRM 38
* 2 Flygon DRM 39
* 3 Kommo-o DRM 54
* 1 Kommo-o-GX GRI 100
* 3 Trapinch CEC 108

##Trainer Cards 

* 2 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Ordinary Rod *******
* 3 Candy SUM 129
* 1 Tate & Liza CES 148
* 2 Ultra Ball FLF 99   
* 1 Energy Retrieval PRC 126
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 2 Switch SUM 132
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119  
* 2 Pokemon Center Lady FLF 93
* 1 Brock's Grit HIF 53
* 1 Lance {*} DRM 61   
* 1 Escape Rope BUS 114
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109  

##Energy 

Total Cards - 60

I am not sure if I go the count, so I am sorry if I am off.  3 Rescue Stretchers are way too much and too much recovery can junk your deck. 

Edited by SlyFive0
Misspell