Misty & Lorelei interaction with Mew's ability Memories of Dawn?

DenDen128

Hello everyone, 

What is the expected interaction between Mew XY-29/124 and Misty & Lorelei regarding re-use of Water type GX attacks?

Given hypothetical game state:

• Active: Mew w/ Memories of Dawn ability allows use attacks of Basic Pokemon in play...
  • Bench: Keldeo-GX, having previously used its Resolute Blade GX attack... 
  • Supporter: play Misty & Lorelei (discarding 5 cards)...
  • Effect: benched Keldeo-GX regains Resolute Blade GX attack for this turn...
  • Energy: Mew has lots, Keldeo has none, none left in the deck.

Does Mew have access to Keldeo's GX attack, or not?

The Yes argument: Resolute Blade is available to Mew via its ability, because it's available to Keldeo this turn.

The No argument: Resolute Blade is NOT available to Mew, because Mew isn't Water type

Misty & Lorelei card text:

Search your deck for up to 3 Water Energy cards, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.
When you play this card, you may discard 5 other cards from your hand. If you do, during this turn, your Water Pokemon may use their GX attack even if you have used your GX attack.

Edited by DenDen128
brevity and formatting

I suppose this question also applies to MewTwo & Mew TT and Marshadow-GX in situations where some Water type GX attack is available to them. Or is it?

3 hours ago, DenDen128 said:

your Water Pokemon may use their GX attack

Water Pokemon only. Mew ain't Water so therefore cannot use a GX move that turn, because you had already used it. If you had a way to make it Water, then yes it could.

• Upvote 1

But Keldeo is a Water, so why doesn't his GX attack cascade up to the active Mew as available? If it's available to Keldeo, then it's available to Mew; just as it would have been earlier in the game. Prove me wrong with a rule or empiric precedent please. You know this is meta bigly. 🤪 

But Keldeo is a Water, so why doesn't his GX attack cascade up to the active Mew as available? If it's available to Keldeo, then it's available to Mew; just as it would have been earlier in the game. Prove me wrong with a rule or empiric precedent please. You know this is meta bigly. 🤪 

UPDATE:

OK, I built a deck online and tried this. It doesn't work in the game today. Why? Exactly?

Edited by DenDen128
dont work

5 hours ago, DenDen128 said:

UPDATE:

OK, I built a deck online and tried this. It doesn't work in the game today. Why? Exactly?

Mew is using the attack. Mew does not call Keldeo and say "Hey friend, could you hit this guy for me please?" Mew learned the attack from Keldeo, and does it itself. So even though it is a water attack using water energy, the Pokemon trying to do it is psychic, not water.

There is nothing in Mew's ability that says it changes type, so it does not. ONLY water Pokemon can be affected, because that is what the card says.

You can search online for the compendium and read it yourself. I won't dig through it to find precedents for "doing what the cards say."

• Upvote 1

to put it another way because mew/mewtwo and mew are not water type pokemon. If they were they could use any GX attack with it their ability. SO it is not water type gx attacks that can be used again it is water types can use their gx attack again.

Edited by Catvenam