geTpLAyeD

How to know if which trade is worth it.

geTpLAyeD

Hi fellow TCG players, first time here.

I have been playing pokemon for over 2 years now however only until recently got an account and downloaded the TCG Online. 

Although I have been trading pokemon cards with my friends for over 2 years, I'm not sure which trades are worth.

If I could have a general idea that would be great, as I have saved over 30 boosters from codes and have open most of them.

I would also like to know if these are worth it:

-The other the day I traded 2 XY Steam Siege boosters for a Nihilego gx.

-I also posted my Solgaleo and a bunch of other trainers for zoroark gx.

-Someone posted a cherish ball for a Sun and Moon booster

Please note I have just started Online, so I'm a small brain.

Sorry for the long question.

Chasista
17 minutes ago, geTpLAyeD said:

I would also like to know if these are worth it:

-The other the day I traded 2 XY Steam Siege boosters for a Nihilego gx.

-I also posted my Solgaleo and a bunch of other trainers for zoroark gx.

-Someone posted a cherish ball for a Sun and Moon booster

Please note I have just started Online, so I'm a small brain.

Sorry for the long question.

I'm not now in game to check the public trades and tell you how much are in public the cards you mention, but you can always compare for an exact card. You should filter by number and set because RA, FA, AA or SR have different values. Also a non foil card and foil or reverse, use to have different value, although depends what card.

Look how many packs people wants for the card. Then look how many the people offer. Usually people offer a bit low and want a bit more. Fair price would be in the middle.

If no people offering or wanting a card or the sample is very low (like only 3 traders with much different values), don't hesitate to come and ask to don't overpay or loose a lot of tokens in worthless trades.

I don't think STS is valued even 0'5 so, depending on Nihilego art was a good trade or just not that good. Not a bad trade though. If RA, you paid maybe almost double. If FA, you paid just a bit high but quite fair. If SR or Shiny, was quite a good trade. Although Nihilego is not a very wanted card and usually these can be gotten quite low. so maybe you would have got the card even lower.

We should know what Solgaleo and how much trainers (and what ones). Zoroark GX is now at 1'5 to 3 packs although 3 is maybe a bit high even for the RR.

A regular Cherish ball doesn't worth a booster. Most of the trainers can be traded for other trainers 1 to 1, uncommon for uncommon. Not all of them, and not the SR versions. But 95% of the regular trainers are quite easy to get and a pack should be enough for 3 of them, or a playset of 4. I use to see trades of 6 "random" trainers for a pack, and even more. It also depends what pack as later packs have higher value than older packs, with small exceptions (like Plasma freeze and the HGSS era packs that are highly valued out there). But a pack for a trainer, is in general, overpay.

• Upvote 2

geTpLAyeD

Thx so much!

• Like 1

Mod_GuruLot
16 hours ago, geTpLAyeD said:

Thx so much!

Hello @geTpLAyeD

We're glad to know you could have found a helpful response in the forum! :) 

Bol4Killer

Hi! it's been a long time I dont come around. 
Some years ago there was a group of people here in this forum that used to set prices for the cards in terms of booster packs equivalence.
And every new set release they updated the prices. It was a complete list.
They were like a company of trading cards for packs or something.

Doesn't it exist anymore?

Edited by Bol4Killer
misspelled

Chasista
22 hours ago, Bol4Killer said:

Hi! it's been a long time I dont come around. 
Some years ago there was a group of people here in this forum that used to set prices for the cards in terms of booster packs equivalence.
And every new set release they updated the prices. It was a complete list.
They were like a company of trading cards for packs or **********

******* it exist anymore?

No. They all left.

Nothing459096

Honestly, cards and packs are worth what you are willing to give for them.  Accept trades that seem to be OK to you, and propose the same way.  If people don't accept them, then they didn't agree with your valuation.

Also, I don't understand how any tradeable packs have value if nobody actually opens them?  Somebody is supplying singles in the trading market.  I'm just not sure who.

Otakutron
49 minutes ago, Nothing459096 said:

Honestly, cards and packs are worth what you are willing to give for them.  Accept trades that seem to be OK to you, and propose the same way.  If people don't accept them, then they didn't agree with your valuation.

Also, I don't understand how any tradeable packs have value if nobody actually opens them?  Somebody is supplying singles in the trading market.  I'm just not sure who.

Remember that some people like trading, some people just like opening packs, and in all cases, you earn enough in-game rewards that something you traded earlier may no longer be needed.

Oh, and while value is in the eye of the beholder, there is a difference between an informed evaluation and an uninformed one. ;)

Nothing459096
3 hours ago, Otakutron said:

Oh, and while value is in the eye of the beholder, there is a difference between an informed evaluation and an uninformed one. ;)

Value is definitely highly variable, it seems.  Some of the trade offers are ... weird.  I'm sure Lillie is a wonderful card, but you're not getting THAT for her.  I'd be curious to see the trade completion rate, and how much coinage unaccepted trades removes from the PCTGO "economy".

Chasista
7 hours ago, Nothing459096 said:

Value is definitely highly variable, it seems.  Some of the trade offers are ... weird.  I'm sure Lillie is a wonderful card, but you're not getting THAT for her.  I'd be curious to see the trade completion rate, and how much coinage unaccepted trades removes from the PCTGO "economy".

I can ensure some people gets THAT for the cards. And people want the more "wonderful" arts of the cards. And Lillie it's precisely the perfect example.

Became a staple trainer after rotation, along with Cynthia (when appeared). 4 and 4 were in every Standard deck as the main supporter core. It was already 1 copy in each of the SUM Theme decks and then some more 1 offs in next Theme  so collecting some Theme from game shop with tokens made a playset of 4 in your collection, easily. In SUM there was also a FA. I can remember 12 packs, 10 packs, 15 packs...

Then other trainers came, Cynthia appeared to be the number 1 trainer Ultraprism onwards and Lillie had a new FA in this set. OK so you could have 4 of the SUM FA, but the card decreased, 8... 6... 5... while the new FA rise to like 20+ packs, a price that previous FA Lillie never had. You wanted that? You had to pay. And that's how works.

OK, I can say, 10 packs is ok, but if all the rest are at 20, I'll do 19 to be sure I get the trade or I'll try to have the luck of being my 20 the chosen one by the buyers. Can this last for some cycles of 8, 16, 24 tokens? Yes. But tokens are free, you only need to play so, it's not something people worries too much about.

Locked regular copies do the same and win the same, but yet people want the FAs and Pokémon add more FAs and more different rarities with the time (more gold, more rainbow, more..). and yet people is wanting and paying high prizes for some of them. I'm with you, some values look weird, but yet people continues paying some of them so...

Also, an unopened pack is always an opportunity to get something good. That's the value. It's easier to give every pack a value and trade with them, than open the pack and get something, and say that card is good or not, and is worth 4 packs. But if anyone wants the card you offer, you won't get a trade. 4 packs are 4 opportunities and a safe investment (as they are the currency). It's proven that trade with packs is always (in long terms) better than open packs. Yet a lot of people opens the packs, they like. They play just casual or they like to the nerves of getting something good or... and if they already have a playset of something or they're not going to play that card, they set them in trade.

In addition, as told, game gives you so much rewards that at the end you have 4 locked of everything so, unlocked copies go to market.

• Upvote 1

Nothing459096

This example was NOT a full art Lillie, don't think it was even shiny.  Wanted to trade for a Ultra Prism booster pack, if memory serves.