Vileplume GX expanded deck advice

Hugbat

Hi, I’d like some advice on how to improve a Vileplume GX expanded deck that I’ve been playing and tweaking.  I find it fun to play, but it is no world-beater. I’d like to explore how to make it better, and in so doing learn some principles that can be applied to deck building more generally.

The listing is below.  Some key points:

- The main attack line is 2-2-2 Vileplume GX.

- The backup attack line is 2-1/1 Eevee into Leafeon GX and Glaceon GX.

- I use a 2-1 Grovyle line to search out Leaf pokemon to evolve.

I added Glaceon GX and a couple of Water energy, alongside 2 Weakness Policy tools to provide some at least some options against Fire decks.  I still expect to lose against Fire, but it’s not an auto-loss. Glaceon GX is handy too against GX/EX’s with abilities, like Keldeo GX.

I’m trying to run with as few energies as comfortable and as many trainers as I can.  However I don’t have a good balance.

The deck is not consistent enough, struggling at times to evolve, get energy on the board or draw sufficient cards to provide options.

I recently added 2 Welders and 3 Fire energy as an experiment to get energy on the board faster.  I’m not convinced, but it has proved handy a couple of times.

So I’d welcome feedback and advice.

Thanks!

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 2 Eevee SUM 101

* 1 Oddish UNB 5

* 1 Oddish CEC 2

* 1 Shuckle LOT 16

* 2 Treecko CES 7

* 1 Tropius CES 21

* 2 Gloom CEC 3

* 1 Grovyle LOT 21

* 1 Leafeon-GX UPR 13

* 2 Vileplume-GX CEC 4

* 1 Phione CEC 57

* 1 Glaceon-GX UPR 39

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 4 Professor's Letter XY 123

* 2 Pokémon Communication TEU 152

* 2 Lysandre FLF 90

* 1 Mallow & Lana CEC 198

* 1 Rare Candy CES 142

* 2 Welder UNB 189

* 2 Tate & Liza CES 148

* 1 Chaotic Swell CEC 187

* 2 Cynthia UPR 119

* 2 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93

* 3 Level Ball AOR 76

* 2 Weakness Policy PRC 142

* 1 Net Ball LOT 187

* 2 Koga's Trap UNB 177

* 1 Life Forest {*} LOT 180

* 1 VS Seeker PHF 109

* 1 Professor Kukui SUM 128

##Energy - 14

* 2 Water Energy Energy 3

* 8 Grass Energy Energy 1

* 3 Fire Energy Energy 2

* 1 Double Colorless Energy XY 130

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

A few things: wh are you running the fire and welders? I mean I get that it is energy acceleration but your deck is mostly about healing so I would figure you could afford to take an extra turn to power up. Another thing: I would suggest running a 3-3-3 line or even 4-4-4 line of vileplume using at least one vileplume from burning shadows. If you are planning on using the grovyle I would do a 2-2 line maybe also one sceptile from LOT too since you can essentially be immune to certain decks. I am not sure about the leafeon/glaceon line too the leafeon adds some healing as well but doesn't really have the health to not be one-hit in expanded. I would use rowlet and eggxecutor from unified minds as it has a lot of health and can evolve up your vileplumes for free. I also don't know why your trainer line is all over the place I would suggest cutting welder and kukui and running more VS seeker. Proffesor's letter doesn't seem like a 4 of in any deck. net ball is great energy and has good versatility! Tropius is not really a great option, I would use bridget if you are having trouble with pokemon search maybe run a one of tapu lele.

Edited by Catvenam
Typo

1 hour ago, Catvenam said:

A few things: wh are you running the fire and welders? I mean I get that it is energy acceleration but your deck is mostly about healing so I would figure you could afford to take an extra turn to power up. Another thing: I would suggest running a 3-3-3 line or even 4-4-4 line of vileplume using at least one vileplume from burning shadows. If you are planning on using the grovyle I would do a 2-2 line maybe also one sceptile from LOT too since you can essentially be immune to certain decks. I am not sure about the leafeon/glaceon line too the leafeon adds some healing as well but doesn't really have the health to not be one-hit in expanded. I would use rowlet and eggxecutor from unified minds as it has a lot of health and can evolve up your vileplumes for free. I also don't know why your trainer line is all over the place I would suggest cutting welder and kukui and running more VS seeker. Proffesor's letter doesn't seem like a 4 of in any deck. net ball is great energy and has good versatility! Tropius is not really a great option, I would use bridget if you are having trouble with pokemon search maybe run a one of tapu lele.

Hello @Catvenam

Thank you for helping out the fellow trainer Hugbat with this useful tip on the expanded deck construction! :)

10 hours ago, Hugbat said:

Hi, I’d like some advice on how to improve a Vileplume GX expanded deck that I’ve been playing and tweaking.  I find it fun to play, but it is no world-beater. I’d like to explore how to make it better, and in so doing learn some principles that can be applied to deck building more generally.

The listing is below.  Some key points:

- The main attack line is 2-2-2 Vileplume GX.

- The backup attack line is 2-1/1 Eevee into Leafeon GX and Glaceon GX.

- I use a 2-1 Grovyle line to search out Leaf pokemon to evolve.

I added Glaceon GX and a couple of Water energy, alongside 2 Weakness Policy tools to provide some at least some options against Fire decks.  I still expect to lose against Fire, but it’s not an auto-loss. Glaceon GX is handy too against GX/EX’s with abilities, like Keldeo GX.

I’m trying to run with as few energies as comfortable and as many trainers as I can.  However I don’t have a good balance.

The deck is not consistent enough, struggling at times to evolve, get energy on the board or draw sufficient cards to provide options.

I recently added 2 Welders and 3 Fire energy as an experiment to get energy on the board faster.  I’m not convinced, but it has proved handy a couple of times.

So I’d welcome feedback and advice.

Thanks!

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 2 Eevee SUM 101

* 1 Oddish UNB 5

* 1 Oddish CEC 2

* 1 Shuckle LOT 16

* 2 Treecko CES 7

* 1 Tropius CES 21

* 2 Gloom CEC 3

* 1 Grovyle LOT 21

* 1 Leafeon-GX UPR 13

* 2 Vileplume-GX CEC 4

* 1 Phione CEC 57

* 1 Glaceon-GX UPR 39

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 4 Professor's Letter XY 123

* 2 Pokémon Communication TEU 152

* 2 Lysandre FLF 90

* 1 Mallow & Lana CEC 198

* 1 Rare Candy CES 142

* 2 Welder UNB 189

* 2 Tate & Liza CES 148

* 1 Chaotic Swell CEC 187

* 2 Cynthia UPR 119

* 2 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93

* 3 Level Ball AOR 76

* 2 Weakness Policy PRC 142

* 1 Net Ball LOT 187

* 2 Koga's Trap UNB 177

* 1 Life Forest {*} LOT 180

* 1 VS Seeker PHF 109

* 1 Professor Kukui SUM 128

##Energy - 14

* 2 Water Energy Energy 3

* 8 Grass Energy Energy 1

* 3 Fire Energy Energy 2

* 1 Double Colorless Energy XY 130

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Hello @Hugbat

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting! :) 

I hope the tip in the fellow trainer's advice on this topic could be helpful. 

@Catvenam thanks for your response. 

I’m following up on those suggestions.  I’ll start with trading for the cheaper improvements - Vileplume from Burning Shadows and VS Seeker.  Looking at it I agree the trainers are a bit of a mess - so I’ll work on that.

The Welders were a bit of a fun experiment - I’ll drop them to improve the trainer lines and make a bit more room.  Most of the Pokemon don’t need much energy, so acceleration is less of a problem.

I’ll keep an eye out for Rowlet & Alolan Exeggutor and Tapu Lele - both look good for this deck too.

Thanks again for your help!

@Mod_GuruLot thanks for the welcome.

Edited by Hugbat
correct @ references