Sign in to follow this  
Bantu143

I don’t fully understand how stats work...

Bantu143

Hello everyone,,

Noob question here,

I was reading up on how to determine if a specific Pokémon is strong or not and how to check stats and etc and I learned a lot about IVs and CPs but the thing I don’t get is, if the higher CP is used to help determine if a poke has higher IVs/stats why do certain Pokémon you can find have a high CPs but low IV or star rating? For an example, I have a Jolteon that has a CP of 1873 but has only a one star rating in his stats. Isn’t 1873 decently high? If his IVs/stats are so low why is his CP so high?

Mod_GuruLot
1 hour ago, Bantu143 said:

Hello everyone,,

Noob question here,

I was reading up on how to determine if a specific Pokémon is strong or not and how to check stats and etc and I learned a lot about IVs and CPs but the thing I don’t get is, if the higher CP is used to help determine if a poke has higher IVs/stats why do certain Pokémon you can find have a high CPs but low IV or star rating? For an example, I have a Jolteon that has a CP of 1873 but has only a one star rating in his stats. Isn’t 1873 decently high? If his IVs/stats are so low why is his CP so high?

Hello @Bantu143

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting! :)

I've moved your post to the English subforum. I hope this helps!

Fatcatz2007

hey nice to see someone talking bout pokemon go here.

iv is how good the pokemon is for its cp

for example

wow this pikachu is only 200 cp but had 300 hp that is really high for its cp so it will have a high hp iv

Mwncisee

I find the best way to think about it is consider a Pokémon's IV as its `potential strength` and it's CP as its `current strength`. So If I have a Pokemon with a high IV rating but currently has low CP if I invest resources like candies in powering it up it will eventually have a higher CP and be stronger than the same Pokémon with a lower IV. Of course it becomes a trade off if you want to develop such a Pokémon or not. I certainly find in some cases even if my Pokémon has a high IV and I have the same Pokémon with a lower IV but much higher CP I may decide to use less resources to develop the lower IV one.

In a nutshell it is a decision based on potential and current strength and if it is worth investing in developing a Pokemon or not.

Hope that helps.

• Downvote 1

Sign in to follow this