kodking

something strange about sword and shield anime series

kodking

ok so i watched episode 2 of pokemon sword and shield. and in the introduction was ashes trophies from his adventures. like the orange league throphey and the alola league trophy.

what the heck does this mean. this was supposed to be a reboot. so thats what we were told. is it a soft reboot where they are somewhat linking it to the old adventures but depending on how it turns out with affect its canonical status. this just really confuses me. does this also mean he will have his old pokemon. tell me what you guys think of this.

Mod_Gunning

Hi kodking,

Thank you for sharing this with us. Does anybody have any ideas on the scene mentioned that would like to share with us? Let us know what you think about this!

kodking
On 1/17/2020 at 4:27 PM, Mod_Gunning said:

Hi kodking,

Thank you for sharing this with us. Does anybody have any ideas on the scene mentioned that would like to share with us? Let us know what you think about this!

well i have been thinking about it. sword and shield series could be a soft reboot. this could be the same for pokemon. they are making the first episodes a soft reboot meaning it could be a full reboot or a continuation from the old series. hence why they added that scene of the trophies. if sword and shield end up being liked more as a full reboot they may go back and remove that frame.

Edited by Mod_GuruLot
posting links to websites other than official Pokémon sites

Mod_GuruLot
10 hours ago, kodking said:

well i have been thinking about it. sword and shield series could be a soft reboot. this could be the same for pokemon. they are making the first episodes a soft reboot meaning it could be a full reboot or a continuation from the old series. hence why they added that scene of the trophies. if sword and shield end up being liked more as a full reboot they may go back and remove that frame.

Hello @kodking

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on the Sword and Shield series. :) 

I'll pass your suggestion of a soft reboot along to the development team for further review. 

kodking
8 hours ago, Mod_GuruLot said:

Hello @kodking

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on the Sword and Shield series. :) 

I'll pass your suggestion of a soft reboot along to the development team for further review. 

thank you, honestly i dont mind if the new series is a full reboot. i was just very confused about the trophy shelf scene. my brother said the trophies are ash's dads. but thing is that makes things more weird and complicated

GrewupGeek

I think the reboot is more like trying to catch new viewers up on where Ash is been, and seeing what his plans are before going to the Galor Region.  Sad thing is, Ash doesn't get to bring any of his older pokemon along with him like he did during the Battle Frontier.

kodking
1 hour ago, GrewupGeek said:

I think the reboot is more like trying to catch new viewers up on where Ash is been, and seeing what his plans are before going to the Galor Region.  Sad thing is, Ash doesn't get to bring any of his older pokemon along with him like he did during the Battle Frontier.

i think this is good as it allows him to start fresh. but we all know at some point he will use a gmax charizard. its just a matter of whether it will be his old one or a new one. anyway i just wanted to point that out.

GrewupGeek

When Ash's Charizard came back, I'm pretty sure a lot people were hoping it meant that Ash would be using him for Mega Evolution.

The chances of Ash getting another Charizard would be as slim as Ash catching a ******** version of some pokemon.

Right now, I'm starting to think that the reboot is more like a way to add elements from Pokemon Go and Let's Go into the game for a bit, before having Ash decide if he wants to resume his trainer journey.

kodking
3 minutes ago, GrewupGeek said:

When Ash's Charizard came back, I'm pretty sure a lot people were hoping it meant that Ash would be using him for Mega Evolution.

The chances of Ash getting another Charizard would be as slim as Ash catching ********** version of some pokemon.

Right now, I'm starting to think that the reboot is more like a way to add elements from Pokemon Go and Let's Go into the game for a bit, before having Ash decide if he wants to resume his trainer journey.

well like i pointed out before depending on where they go with this, ash could end up having all his old pokemon back or at least existing in oaks lab, this means there is not point in ash getting a new charizard, so he will just gmax his fist charizard. 

Edited by kodking

GrewupGeek

If there was a chance for Ash to start using his old pokemon, it would have been an episode or two after he came back to Kanto.  Right now, it seems more like the people behind the scenes are more set on giving Ash's pokemon more of a cameo appearance like they did to Squirtle.

Mod_GuruLot

Hello @GrewupGeek and @kodking

Thank you for sharing a guess of yours. 

While we can't comment on anything unannounced, we love hearing your speculations and wishes! ;) 

kodking
On 1/24/2020 at 3:31 PM, GrewupGeek said:

If there was a chance for Ash to start using his old pokemon, it would have been an episode or two after he came back to Kanto.  Right now, it seems more like the people behind the scenes are more set on giving Ash's pokemon more of a cameo appearance like they did to Squirtle.

i just watched episodes 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. i did not see a squirtle. how ever there is alot there to indicate this can be a continuation form the old series. for one ash seems to not be interested in catching alot of pokemon, sure this could be because it centers around Go but still. second he seems to indicate that he knows team rocket and they know him. as they stated somewhere to revert to their original plan "to steal pikachu". there is also the ho-oh part. that is in the old series. so again this can go a few ways. being a reboot to asj. or being a continuation. i theorize it is the viewers reactions that decide this fate. i do hope it become a continuation as has has finally  become a champion (alola) meaning since they are traveling to different regions he could re challenge and participate the leagues and win while there. a few things i would like to point out. 1. the series is sword and sheild. yet we are not seeing much of galar region. this makes me saddened as i really wanna see adventures in galar and see how raids will be interpreted in the series. along with other aspects.

GrewupGeek

If they are having Ash revisit old regions, they should have had him bring his old pokemon along for the ride.  Show what kind of teams he can come up with for each challenge, which would also help show how far he has come as a trainer.  Along with maybe help new viewers catch up a bit on what Ash has available now, but nope.  Got to stick to the keep it fresh motif as much as possible.

kodking
3 hours ago, GrewupGeek said:

If they are having Ash revisit old regions, they should have had him bring his old pokemon along for the ride.  Show what kind of teams he can come up with for each challenge, which would also help show how far he has come as a trainer.  Along with maybe help new viewers catch up a bit on what Ash has available now, but nope.  Got to stick to the keep it fresh motif as much as possible.

well like i said, it has two ways to go. if they just go straight  to showing you his old pokemon then it is not a reboot. i'm gonna say that if it does end up becomeing a continuation, then they will show older pokemon. although i do get where u r coming from.

GrewupGeek

When Ash's return to Kanto was announced, they called it a 'soft reboot.'  If showing Ash's old pokemon would make it not a reboot, so is Ash returning to the places he already been to.  The only thing close to be considered a complete reboot would be the 'I Choose You' movies.

Right now, I think what they are doing now is a combination of reboot and continuation.  Show the older regions to a younger crowd, while transitioning to the Sword and Shield part.  All they did was provide a bit of a shortcut by giving Delia's Mr. Mime a bigger part in the adventure.

Mod_Gunning

Hi GrewupGeek,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts once more. Let us hope that the combination of reboot and continuation of the story will work for the best in future episodes!

Ash101416744

Why would they do a combination of a reboot and a continuation? That seems kind of counterintuitive. We've known Ash for so long that this seems kind of weird.  You could say Unova Ash was a soft reboot because he forgot how to battle well.

kodking
12 hours ago, Ash101416744 said:

Why would they do a combination of a reboot and a continuation? That seems kind of counterintuitive. We've known Ash for so long that this seems kind of weird.  You could say Unova Ash was a soft reboot because he forgot how to battle well.

ok, so do u know what a soft reboot is?

well i am just gonna give u the answer.

a soft reboot is a way of rebooting a franchise or series or something else. i am going to use the bumblebee movie as an example as its a great one (and i am a transformers fan).

after the demise of bays films they made bumblebee. the creators said it was a (soft reboot) to the bay fillms. this meant it could go to ways, depending on the fan bases reaction to the movie, it could become a full reboot resulting in a new franchise, or it could become a prequal to the bay franchise. due to the reaction from the fans on how good it was as a reboot to the transformers movie they decided to make it a full reboot. i believe pokemon done the same thing with pokemon. its a reboot while also showing cameos and hints from the old series (like a shelf with all of ashes medals and trophies from leagues and competitions). so depending on how the fan base react to the series will affect how it plays out. hope this helps. if you are still confused i suggest u look up a bit yourself. also go watch the new series. its amazing.

• Downvote 1

Ash101416744

Of course, I know what a  soft reboot is(I gave an example, cough cough Ash Unova they mentioned Charizard but Ash turned into a low tier trainer getting wrecked by Cursed Body). I've honestly never been a fan of soft reboots because they mention past events but they ruin the timeline and character development(for the most part). For Transformers that's great because the Michael Bay ones suck for Pokemon that's up for debate.

I still feel like they should have ended Ash's character after Kalos because that would have been perfect with him winning that league, but yet again the writers destroyed another amazing chance to end his story( I'm looking at you Sinnoh League). In conclusion, I'm glad that it's fantastic, but it would be nice if we had a new main character(it can be done look at Yugioh!).

Edited by Ash101416744

kodking
13 hours ago, Ash101416744 said:

Of course, I know what a  soft reboot is(I gave an example, cough cough Ash Unova they mentioned Charizard but Ash turned into a low tier trainer getting wrecked by Cursed Body). I've honestly never been a fan of soft reboots because they mention past events but they ruin the timeline and character development(for the most part). For Transformers that's great because the Michael Bay ones suck for Pokemon that's up for debate.

I still feel like they should have ended Ash's character after Kalos because that would have been perfect with him winning that league, but yet again the writers destroyed another amazing chance to end his story( I'm looking at you Sinnoh League). In conclusion, I'm glad that it's fantastic, but it would be nice if we had a new main character(it can be done look at Yugioh!).

well i feel this may be the writing teams chance for redemption, Ash and Go are now traveling to different regions, this gives ash the chance to re-challenge the gyms and win the leagues, while possilby meeting old friends and rivals in doing so (would love to see the return of characters like Gary and Paul) and as he travels around the regions he could either catch new pokemon or bring back old ones like charizard, this could also allow for loose ends like ash's pideotto to be tied up, ash returns to it and it joins him on his journey.  if he does reunite with old friends the writers could again redeem themselves by making his old travel companions having completed their goals, like Brock with his pokemon breeding, misty with becoming an expert water type trainer, May, Dawn and Serena with their performing dreams, Iris with her becoming a dragon master, Cylan with hos connisuer dreams and so many more.  many of them left ashes side to chase their dreams, now with him  revisiting the regions it's a good time for us to see how ashes past travel buddies have faired. now with the latest episode we have found out that there is now a world cup. where the best trainer from each region battles. the list i would assume was the contendors is:?????????????????????????????, now the problem here is that ash was crowned the alola champion, meaning he should have been in this league.  if not him who else would be the champion (my guess is either gladion or kukui). now if ash so much as beats one league like say the kanto league then beats ???????? in this new series he has a chance to contend in the world league. a great way to have him build his team for the world cup is for him to choose his most powerful pokemon from his entire collection, this team would be somehwat like this: pikachu, charizard(kanto), infernape (sinnoh), greninja (kalos), dragonite (kanto)m for the sixth spot i cant choose between incineroar, melmetal and lycanroc. they are all so powerful. possibly melmetal. what i am trying to say is ash builds his ultimate team with the pokemon he has or could possibly catch in the future, they have shown ash will catch pokemon in the new series (like his dragonite). i apologise if this has become a rant, i just really want to see this series become a comeback for the series after 20 or so years of failures.

• Like 1

Ash101416744

I hope Ash actually competes in a world cup because that would be awesome. Why would he have to re-challenge the gyms though if he already has all eight badges from Kanto(he didn't win all of them fairly), Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos? That would seem counterintuitive though participating in the league tournaments makes sense. Meeting old friends and rivals should definitely happen (I wonder if Paul beat Brandon in their rematch.) Brock is actually training to become a doctor. If all of these things happen, what would Go be doing considering he is a beginner? I feel his character would be thrown to the side if that happened. As far as his ultimate team, I don't think he would have two fire types on his team. I would definitely put Sceptile on that team. As well as you I want this series to become a comeback.

Still, the question is, when will Ash's story end considering it has been basically never-ending up until this point.

kodking
5 hours ago, Ash101416744 said:

I hope Ash actually competes in a world cup because that would be awesome. Why would he have to re-challenge the gyms though if he already has all eight badges from Kanto(he didn't win all of them fairly), Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos? That would seem counterintuitive though participating in the league tournaments makes sense. Meeting old friends and rivals should definitely happen (I wonder if Paul beat Brandon in their rematch.) Brock is actually training to become a doctor. If all of these things happen, what would Go be doing considering he is a beginner? I feel his character would be thrown to the side if that happened. As far as his ultimate team, I don't think he would have two fire types on his team. I would definitely put Sceptile on that team. As well as you I want this series to become a comeback.

Still, the question is, when will Ash's story end considering it has been basically never-ending up until this point.

well to answer the question why would he re-challenge the gyms and re-challenge all the leagues" i dont think you can rechallenge the league unless u ear all the badges again. he wants to become a pokemon master right. in my eyes to do that he would have to win each regional league. if i recall he wanted to be a breeder, however he has changed professions so many times its hard to keep track. i agree about sceptile. i just want to add, honestly ash had no new strong pokemon in unova (it was kinda pointless). as for GO, well he wants to complete his pokedex right, well as ash re-travels the regions, Go goes with him, and slowly fills the pokedex. now this may take a lot of episodes but it is worth it, heck, if it took another 20 years for them to do this i dont care, so long as ash completes his goal of becoming a pokemon master i am fine with that. back to the league question, i guess it would make more sense to first battle in the world cup, then re-challenge all the leagues. i would not mind if ash even makes new teams along the way in terms of pokemon. it would be cool to see both Go and Ash catch legendaires. also another exciting point is ultra beasts, ultra beasts are a part of the pokedex, we could see the ultra guardians reunite with a new addition, that being Go, it would allow them the writers to have the creativity of how the ultra beast worlds could look.  the writers have soo much creativity rn for how this can play out it would be kind of a waste to have ash not redo all these things.

• Like 1