still_learning

New player, fine-tuning an expanded deck

still_learning

First post on these forums, sorry if this isn't the sort of thing that gets posted here.

Just got into the game a week ago, I've been experimenting with deck building and my water-focus desk has had the best PVP results so far. I was hoping to get some advice on how to polish it further, as I know it could be stronger but no idea what I should take out/put in. I don't have a lot of cards yet either, just 5 theme decks and probably 20 or less packs in total. 

Here's the contents of the deck:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Alolan Vulpix BUS 27
* 1 Alolan Vulpix CEC 39
* 2 Articuno ROS 16
* 2 Articuno ROS 17
* 1 Blastoise & Piplup-GX CEC 214
* 1 Bruxish BUS 38
* 1 Froakie FLI 22
* 2 Kyogre CEC 53
* 1 Lapras BKP 28
* 1 Lapras LOT 56
* 1 Phione CEC 57
* 2 Alolan Ninetales BUS 28
* 1 Frogadier XY 40
* 1 Greninja XY 41

##Trainer Cards - 24

* 1 Stealthy Hood UNB 186
* 2 Rough Seas PRC 137
* 1 Professor's Letter XY 123
* 1 Switch CES 147
* 1 Lysandre FLF 90
* 1 Mallow & Lana CEC 198
* 1 Potion BCR 132
* 1 Pokémon Fan Club UPR 133
* 1 Wishful Baton BUS 128
* 2 Energy Retrieval PRC 126
* 2 Lucky Helmet AOR 77
* 2 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
* 1 Crasher Wake FLI 104
* 2 Cheren DEX 91
* 2 Dive Ball PRC 125
* 1 U-Turn Board UNM 211
* 1 Exp. Share NXD 87
* 1 Lana's Fishing Rod CEC 195

##Energy - 18

* 18 Water Energy Energy 3

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Wolfofdogs

Hello @still_learning!

Something that I notice in your deck is that it lacks draw power. This is important so that you can assemble your board as quickly as possible and can continuously establish new attackers as needed. These mostly come as supporters. Also, I think you have a little to many energies. This is what I would suggest:

These cards aren’t really competitive, so I recommend swapping the following:

-1 stealthy hood

-1 Phione 

-1 Lapras BKP

-1 bruxish 

-2 Articuno ROS 16

-1 Articuno ROS 17

-2 Cheren

-1 Potion

-6 water energy

-1 Experience share

Some cards that I highly recommend adding are:

4 Aqua patch (this card is one of the best water support items there is)

1-2 Articuno (TEU)

2 N

1-2 more Guzma or lysandre

2-4 professor sycamore or juniper

2 trainers mail

2-4 VS Seeker

1 Phione-EX (BKP)

Another Blastoise and piplup GX

1 Volcanion prism star (FOL)

2 more dive ball

3-4 Ultra Ball 

These cards are useful, but not necessary:

2-2 Remoraid and Octillery (BKT)

1-1 Staryu (BKP ) and starmie (EVO)

3-2 Wooper and Guagsire (DRM)

1-2 Field blower

1 Rescue stretcher

2 Brooklet hill

1 Glaceon EX (FCO)

As for the greninja line, you should probably remove it, but I think it is a fun inclusion.

I hope this helped! I’m not really the best at giving tips.

Chasista

What you really don't need: too much energy (I'd lower it to 12-14 to start, and try)

What you really need: more trainers. Around 30-32 would be awesome (Don't know if more Prof letters are in collection when starting the game, but even if not, some trainers to renew your hand and get some energies will come useful).

I'll try to make a deeper approach to the deck later with more time than what I have right now but just know for Expanded you will always want to start building with: 1 Ace spec and 3-4 Vs Seeker (1 already in collection), as long as you can afford it.

Generally you never want to waste your supporter turn with things that an item card can do, like Cilan and Professor letter even if you get one less energy; but you can only attach once per turn right? Cilan is worse than P Letter unless you have the way to attach all 3 energies with an ability or so. Energy retrieval is another way to no needing too much energies in the deck. You don't have Cilan but it's for the example.

BTW, Phione is huge, didn't checked deeply the list but I'd cut a lot of other things before Phione for sure, like Potion and Cheren. Switch it for N, Cynthia, Colress, Prof Juniper (or Sycamore) and/or Ace trainer.

still_learning

Thank you for the input, that helps a lot! I've got a good idea of what to take out now, and I'll get some more trainer cards in there for draw power. I know I have at least one of N, Cynthia, Colress, Juniper, and Ace Trainer to put in. 

• Like 1

Mod_GuruLot
3 hours ago, still_learning said:

Thank you for the input, that helps a lot! I've got a good idea of what to take out now, and I'll get some more trainer cards in there for draw power. I know I have at least one of N, Cynthia, Colress, Juniper, and Ace Trainer to put in. 

Hello @still_learning

I'm glad to hear you found useful the fellow trainers' advice. Welcome to the forum! :) 

Chasista
Posted (edited)
On 1/9/2020 at 11:39 AM, still_learning said:

You're welcome.

I think starting the game everyone already owns 2 N and 4 Sycamore, although can't remember 100% sure. Could be 4 N and 2 Sycamore (but I think is not).

Either way you can get a lot of useful trainers buying the Theme decks in game shop (500 tokens).

There are 2 reasons that will conduct the choices of the Theme: To play them in Theme or to get the cards in them.

Just starting the game would be good to get some good Theme to be able to play some Versus and raise the ladder. Happily, the best Theme for play, have also good trainers in them. I'd follow this order:

Towering heights: 2 Cynthia, 2 Tate & Liza, 2 Lillie, 2 Poke comm, Mew

Relentless flame: 2 Cynthia, 2 Kukui, 2 Nest, the Chars

Unseen depths: Same as Towering heights+Viridian forest+Phione (no Mew in here)

Blazing Volcano: Guzma!, 2 Rescue stretcher, Ultra ball (although 4 in collection at the start I think) and Magcargo engine

All these are pretty good to play VS Theme, even in Events/Tournaments and you get some interesting trainers and pokémon.

After these (or before if you interested in any card you need) you can choose the Theme depending on what they contain.

Another Guzma comes in Leaf charge.

Mach strike comes with 2 Cynthia, Escape board, Rescue stretcher, Nest ball, Pal pad, Kukui, Escape rope...

Battle mind comes with 2 Welder.

Laser focus have a 2-2 Malamar engine, 2 Mysterious treasure, U-turn board, 2 Cynthia and a Type: Null (Silvally GX is used in some competitive decks). 2-1 Malamar in Twilight rogue.

Storm caller have 3-2 Naganadel, and 3-1 Zebstrika.

Imperial command comes with Aqua patch, Escape board, Rescue stretcher, Ultra ball...

Torrential cannon have 3-2-(2) Pidgeotto engine, Cynthia, Kukui and more. Soaring storm have also 3-2-(1) and 2 Poke Comm (although if you get the other first, you'll have +4 of this already).

Hydro fury comes with another 2-1 Magcargo.

2 Hypnotoxic laser come in the Plasma storm Themes (1 in each)

Forbidden light decks have 1 Field blower each.

1 N in each Noble victories Theme

Etcetera.

About your deck, I'd remove

* 1 Bruxish BUS 38
And probably

* 1 Froakie FLI 22
* 1 Frogadier XY 40
* 1 Greninja XY 41

because of the difficulty to find the right stage and evolve it, for just 3 damage counters or 50 damage. Or reinforce it with the 3-2-2 line from BKP Wave slasher Theme (and goal could be a Greninja Break deck)

* 1 Potion BCR 132

* 2 Lucky Helmet AOR 77
* 2 Cheren DEX 91

And maybe

although for BlasPlup is probably quite good.

And add the Juniper/Sycamore, N, Colress, Vs seeker, Guzma, Cynthia and a "cheap" Ace spec (like Scramble switch or Master ball, for example). Anything to recover resources: Rescue stretcher, Super rod, Energy recycle system, Energy recycler. I'd add a Field blower, Nest balls (and you could maybe remove Poke fan club) and add Ultra ball. You can discard energies or pokémon or Supporters and recover them next with Energy retrieval, or the Rescue stretcher (or rods to pile) or Vs seekers. Ultra ball is the best regular ball out there. You pay a cost, but you get exactly what you want: basic, Stage 1, 2, EX, GX, V...

I'd start to try with

* 14 Water Energy

And try how it works.

Your turn to make some changes! Have fun!

Edited by Chasista

still_learning
11 hours ago, Mod_GuruLot said:

Hello @still_learning

I'm glad to hear you found useful the fellow trainers' advice. Welcome to the forum! :) 

Thanks! And thank you for the extra advice @Chasista!

• Upvote 1

still_learning

This is what it looks like right now, and though I've only used it once with the updates I can already tell it's playing better. (I'm going to switch out one of the Crashers for a Cynthia though.) Saving up some coins right now to get the recommended decks I don't have yet. :)

##Pokémon - 15

* 1 Alolan Sandshrew GRI 19
* 1 Alolan Vulpix BUS 27
* 1 Alolan Vulpix CEC 39
* 1 Articuno ROS 16
* 2 Articuno ROS 17
* 1 Frost Rotom UPR 41
* 2 Kyogre CEC 53
* 1 Lapras BKP 28
* 1 Phione CEC 57
* 1 Alolan Sandslash GRI 20

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 1 Rough Seas PRC 137
* 2 Professor's Letter XY 123
* 1 Switch CES 147
* 2 Lysandre FLF 90
* 1 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 1 Switch Raft DRM 62
* 2 Wishful Baton BUS 128
* 3 Energy Retrieval PRC 126
* 1 Lucky Helmet AOR 77
* 2 Professor Juniper DEX 98
* 1 Colress PLS 118
* 2 Crasher Wake FLI 104
* 1 Ace Trainer AOR 69
* 2 Dive Ball PRC 125
* 1 U-Turn Board UNM 211
* 1 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 1 Energy Search BLW 93

##Energy - 14

* 14 Water Energy Energy 3

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Chasista

Looks better.

Only thing I see is, what happened with the stadiums? Is probably not a huge factor in early games but once a bit competitive, having 2 or 3 stadiums (sometimes 4!) + 1 blower, becomes a thing, whether to remove the opponent's as to help your deck. I'd remove the Lucky helmet to recover the 2nd Rough seas and if possible add a 3rd stadium, even a different one until you have another Rough seas if it's the appropriate one.

Try to trade for the Vs seeker. You can try 1 other item/trainer also uncommon. Is a bit harder than just buy with packs but good items like Choice band, F blower, R stretcher, Battle compressor, Cherish ball, Tag call, Escape board... could make the deal if you have spare copies. 1 random pack could get 3 Vs seeker, if standard packs could get even 4 probably, but check the values before to don't give too much or too low and loose the tokens for nothing.

Add N 😄

Remember Ultra ball. There were 2 whole eras with 4 in any deck. Any.

Alolan Sandshrew is working with 1-1?

Do you think Double colorless energies would become handy? We all start with a couple in collection, once starter decks are complete (Crushing current). Also Hidden depths have a couple Splash energies.

Try this "codes" in the place of code redeeming in game:

flashfire

phantomforces

Each will give you a copy of Rallying cry deck. Not very good but is free cards for your collection. The codes were yet working late October, didn't try more recently.

Each of the Forbidden light Theme have 1 Field blower (added to previous post). I know it's a lot of Theme decks, but bit by bit 🙂

• Like 1

still_learning

Those two codes are no longer working, unfortunately. 

I took one of the stadiums out because I was unsure how helpful it was to have 2 vs 1 (I've had a couple matches where I got the 2nd one in my hand with the 1st already played and my opponent not doing anything about it), but knowing 2 or even 3 (if/when I get a 3rd one lol) is better I've put it back in.

Since Alolan Sandslash seemed good for drawing cards I put in the 1-1, it's only been in there for one match so far but seems to work fine. It's top of my list to take out if I get something else I'd rather have in though. 

I only have 1 Vs Seeker right now and no blowers but I'll add them when I get them.

Lucky Helmet's been working really well for me, especially in matches where I have bad luck with energy. I want to try leaving 1 in for now. :) 

Updated again:

##Pokémon - 15

* 1 Alolan Sandshrew GRI 19
* 1 Alolan Vulpix BUS 27
* 1 Alolan Vulpix CEC 39
* 1 Articuno ROS 16
* 2 Articuno ROS 17
* 1 Frost Rotom UPR 41
* 2 Kyogre CEC 53
* 1 Lapras BKP 28
* 1 Phione CEC 57
* 1 Alolan Sandslash GRI 20

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 2 Rough Seas PRC 137
* 2 Professor's Letter XY 123
* 1 Switch CES 147
* 2 Lysandre FLF 90
* 1 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 1 Switch Raft DRM 62
* 2 Wishful Baton BUS 128
* 3 Energy Retrieval PRC 126
* 1 Lucky Helmet AOR 77
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 1 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
* 1 Ultra Ball FLF 99
* 1 Colress PLS 118
* 1 Crasher Wake FLI 104
* 1 Ace Trainer AOR 69
* 2 Dive Ball PRC 125
* 1 U-Turn Board UNM 211
* 1 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 1 N FCO 105

##Energy - 15

* 14 Water Energy Energy 3
* 1 Double Colorless Energy XY 130

Total Cards - 60