Sign in to follow this  
Lemon728

Possible Gardeon tech for Reshizard

Lemon728

Heyo Everyone! So I have recently thought about building my first deck woohoo! I was thinking about playing Gardeon and read about how many people agree that it is a great deck, but it's biggest flaw is having a tough matchup against Reshizard. I decided to try and think of ways to improve this matchup and may have come up with something! I am sorry if this has already been talked about or someone else came up with this first.

The idea is to use Silvally-GX from Ultra Prism along with Guzma & Hala to get water memory, triple acceleration energy, and some stadium. It's ability would allow you to switch it in from the bench and then use it's GX move to OHKO Reshizard!

Do you think this would be a good idea to help with the matchup? Adding 4 cards is definitely a lot, but at least it can still be used with fairy energy. It's ability works nicely with the deck and can be shut off with power plants to allow yourself to play Green's Exploration. Otherwise there is the new Cosmic Eclipse Silvally-GX too whose attack only requires two colorless energy but even with weakness it hits Reshizard for 240 which is super close, but not enough. I was wondering if anyone could come up with any other way of making this work, or some other way of improving the Reshizard matchup for Gardeon?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year everyone!

Felidae_

Can you post your entire list? Much easier to look for improvements that way (as there are a bunch of minor differences between the Gardeon (is that how the archetype is called nowadays?) lists).

I don't like your tech at all to be honest: adding 4 1-off cards (two of them being a 1-1 Pokemon line) that are mediocre against other decks to counter such a specific match-up will only result in poorer performance across the board.

Lemon728

Thank you for the feedback!

Sadly I don't actually have too much of a list lol. I don't currently have a lot of the cards I want to put in the deck on PTGO , but I am in the process of playing tournaments so I can trade for them! I wanted to ask for some advice here and discuss some ways of improving the matchup versus Reshizard, which is what I read to be Gardeon's main weakness. I really wish I had more cards to get more experience to actually know how it plays instead of just what I have read (only have one Gardevoir & Sylveon right now). Just gotta keep playing!😄

In the meantime though, some questions I have about the deck are:

1. All the lists I have found all use Green's Exploration as their main engine. Has anyone tried using jirachi and Dedenne-GX with them? (I at least have 2 jirachis right now) I've also been using Alolan Ninetales to somewhat replicate Green's Exploration.

2. How bad even is the matchup versus Reshizard? Is it like a big weakness or is it just a little unfavorable?

I totally understand your points about the whole tech. 4 cards is quite a large thing to dedicate to one purpose. I actually happen to have the cards I mentioned for the tech so I have been able to test it... but I haven't run into anyone playing Reshizard lol! The ability is quite nice on Silvally-GX though being able to switch basics for free which does synergize well with Xerneas-GX, Xerneas prism star, and jirachi if I can't find an escape board. It's too bad that triple acceleration energy doesn't work with anyone else in the deck.

Any ideas on the new Cosmic Eclipse Silvally? It still has a great ability and it's regular attack does the same amount of damage but for one less energy as long as a supporter is played which means it would have more general use versus other decks. The only problem is that it just barely misses out on the OHKO on Reshizard. Martial Arts Dojo with a fighting energy is an option, but it only works when down in prize cards as the 10 extra damage still won't OHKO. It's also probably not the most consistent to pull off either. Attacking with Alolan Ninetales-GX here is an option as I could do 70 damage to the active and then 30 to a benched Reshizard for a perfect KO with Cosmic Eclipse Silvally-GX. Gardevoir and Sylveon's GX move would also be enough damage to KO Reshizard after Alolan Ninetales-GX's 70 damage attack. I don't know how effective any of this would be.

Any new thoughts besides Silvally? Thanks for the help again!

P.S. I also have thought about putting in a water type attacker to help, but thought about the Silvally thing as it is a colorless attacker so I thought it would be easier to play in general, but perhaps it isn't. Keldeo-GX seems to be the best option out of the water type attackers.

Felidae_

You can create decks in PTCGO with cards you don't own in your collection. Unfortunately you can't test them, so I guess in your case it doesn't help. On the other side at least that way you can show us the general direction you want to take the deck.

Green's Exploration is def. the most popular configuration for the archetype for a good reason: Unlike any Dedenne / Jirachi shenanigans you get to play an extremely streamlined deck that will set-up on turn 1 / 2 better than almost any other deck (or at least more consistent).

I've added 4 versions from recent tournaments, just in case you are stuck with an older list (you mentioned Xerneas GX / Prism Star, ********** common anymore in the deck nowadays).

Spoiler

Pokemon - 7

4 Gardevoir & Sylveon-GX UNB 130

1 Lugia-GX LOT 159

1 Hoopa UNM 140

1 Omastar TEU 76

Trainer - 44

4 Green's Exploration UNB 175

3 Cynthia & Caitlin CEC 189

2 Mallow & Lana CEC 198

1 Cynthia UPR 119

1 Faba LOT 173

1 Lusamine CIN 96

4 Pokégear 3.0 UNB 182

3 Tag Call CEC 206

3 Reset Stamp UNM 206

3 Super Scoop Up CES 146

2 Energy Spinner UNB 170

2 Great Catcher CEC 192

2 Custom Catcher LOT 171

2 Tag Switch UNM 209

1 Switch CES 147

1 Wait and See Hammer LOT 192

1 Pokémon Communication TEU 152

1 Rare Candy CES 142

1 Unidentified Fossil CEC 207

1 Fairy Charm Psychic LOT 175

1 Fairy Charm Dragon LOT 177

1 Fairy Charm Ability UNB 171

3 Power Plant UNB 183

Energy - 9

9 Fairy Energy 9

Spoiler

Pokemon - 6

1 Lugia-GX LOT 159

1 Omastar TEU 76

Trainer - 45

3 Coach Trainer UNM 192

2 Mallow & Lana CEC 198

1 Faba LOT 173

4 Pokégear 3.0 UNB 182

4 Custom Catcher LOT 171

3 Tag Call CEC 206

3 Reset Stamp UNM 206

3 Switch CES 147

2 Tag Switch UNM 209

2 Energy Spinner UNB 170

1 Great Catcher CEC 192

1 Rare Candy CES 142

2 Fairy Charm Psychic LOT 175

4 Power Plant UNB 183

Energy - 9

9 Fairy Energy 9

Spoiler

Pokemon - 6

1 Lugia-GX LOT 159

1 Omastar TEU 76

Trainer - 45

3 Coach Trainer UNM 192

2 Mallow & Lana CEC 198

1 Faba LOT 173

4 Pokégear 3.0 UNB 182

4 Custom Catcher LOT 171

3 Tag Call CEC 206

3 Reset Stamp UNM 206

3 Switch CES 147

2 Tag Switch UNM 209

2 Energy Spinner UNB 170

1 Great Catcher CEC 192

1 Great Potion UNM 198

1 Rare Candy CES 142

2 Fairy Charm Psychic LOT 175

3 Power Plant UNB 183

Energy - 9

9 Fairy Energy 9

Spoiler

Pokemon - 5

1 Mega Lopunny & Jigglypuff-GX CEC 165

Trainer - 46

2 Mallow & Lana CEC 198

1 Cynthia UPR 119

4 Pokégear 3.0 UNB 182

4 Tag Call CEC 206

4 Custom Catcher LOT 171

4 Switch CES 147

3 Tag Switch UNM 209

3 Reset Stamp UNM 206

3 Great Potion UNM 198

2 Energy Spinner UNB 170

1 Great Catcher CEC 192

2 Fairy Charm Ability UNB 171

1 Island Challenge Amulet CEC 194

4 Power Plant UNB 183

1 Wondrous Labyrinth Prism Star TEU 158

Energy - 9

9 Fairy Energy 9

The most successful version recently has been running 4 Gardeon, Lugia-GX and Omastar, which can easily be set-up on turn 2 thanks to Green's Exploration.

General speaking the deck has a favourable match-up against anything that can't OHKO a Gardeon, as you have the better tools to win an attrition war in the long run. Being able to shut down your opponent via Power Plant and Omaster can easily swing games in your favour and as mentioned earlier the deck is super consistent and almost impossible to screw in the early game.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this