Petoq1

New Player Advice.

Petoq1

I just started playing today and was wondering whether theme packs or boosters are then best investment,as I have enough to afford one theme packs or about 3 boosters. My eventual goal is to put a deck of Fairy Pokemon together that's hopefully semi-competive as I like those cards but the best way to start collecting the cards I want? There seem to be some in various theme packs but are they a good buy?

XP_On
Posted (edited)

Hello.

Welcome to the Comunity.

In my opinion, the starter deck is strong, but i recomend buying this one RELENTLESS FLAME
The reason why i recomend that deck is because it very very forgiving for new player. you can use that deck to get daily win. You wont get 100% win but i say you will get around 60%

Also my personal favorite deck is ENCHANTED ECHO.

that Sylveon is fun if your opponent didnt counter it at the beginning.

what i strongly suggest is to buy Decks, never buy Booster packs until you get all thos decks

I hope you can Enjoy the game 

Also this is my post on other thread, i copy here 

Spoiler

I am a new player also, i just want to share something based on my mistake hoping you wont fell in the same spot. LOL

1. Never use the token to buy Avatar stuff. no need to make your character cool right now. maybe you can when you have many token to spend.

2. Buy Deck (500 token each) is more important than buy booster pack (200 token each)

3. Never trade unless you already consult with other experienced player. (I almost trade a rare holo Fire energy with booster pack only)

4. Try read the skill on enemy pokemon (both active and his/her bench) 

5. After buying a deck, teke note what type it mainly is. the daily mission need variety of type so if you already buy Relentless Flame which is Fire type, next deck you want to buy would not Fire anymore but other like Metal / Dark / Plant / Water.... Etc.... your goal is to have atleast 1 Deck for each type.

6. Many kind person in forum, so read and interact. many will help here

7. Dont join Event untill you are sure you can beat any kind of deck (just keep the ticket for later)

8. If you can, try to get atleast 11 win every day. but dont just quit on every match you think you cant win. you can learn many from the match against different player and deck.

Spoiler
  1. Mistery Box
  2. Mistery Box
  3. 10 Tokens
  4. Mistery Box
  5. 20 Tokens
  6. 30 Tokens
  7. Mistery Box
  8. 50 Tokens
  9. Tournament Ticket
  10. 50 Tokens
  11. Mistery Box

Atleast you will get 160 Token each day if you win 11 times

9. Have Fun. There is no right or wrong way to do this, so if you have fun, do it. 

Edited by XP_On
  • Upvote 1

SandaledOtter

Get the Sun & Moon (and later) decks, starting with XP_On's advice. Those are much better constructed than older decks, and getting at least one will allow you to finish off the Trainer Challenge and get extra cards.

Then you might want to get packs of whatever the newest set is at the time.

(I'm going to cut this off here, rather than repeating everything else in the forum! 😁)

• Upvote 1

Mod_RedDragon
8 hours ago, Petoq1 said:

I just started playing today and was wondering whether theme packs or boosters are then best investment,as I have enough to afford one theme packs or about 3 boosters. My eventual goal is to put a deck of Fairy Pokemon together that's hopefully semi-competive as I like those cards but the best way to start collecting the cards I want? There seem to be some in various theme packs but are they a good buy?

Hello @Petoq1!

Welcome to the forum!

Mod_Alder

Hello @Petoq1

Welcome to the forum and I hope you get you enjoy your future fairy deck.

Mod_GuruLot
17 hours ago, XP_On said:

Hello.

Welcome to the Comunity.

In my opinion, the starter deck is strong, but i recomend buying this one RELENTLESS FLAME
The reason why i recomend that deck is because it very very forgiving for new player. you can use that deck to get daily win. You wont get 100% win but i say you will get around 60%

Also my personal favorite deck is ENCHANTED ECHO.

that Sylveon is fun if your opponent didnt counter it at the beginning.

what i strongly suggest is to buy Decks, never buy Booster packs until you get all thos decks

I hope you can Enjoy the game 

Also this is my post on other thread, i copy here 

Reveal hidden contents

Hello @XP_On

Thank you for a helpful advice and for trying to help out the fellow trainer @Petoq1.

Mod_GuruLot
15 hours ago, SandaledOtter said:

Get the Sun & Moon (and later) decks, starting with XP_On's advice. Those are much better constructed than older decks, and getting at least one will allow you to finish off the Trainer Challenge and get extra cards.

Then you might want to get packs of whatever the newest set is at the time.

(I'm going to cut this off here, rather than repeating everything else in the forum! 😁)

Hello @SandaledOtter

Thank you for the hint! :)  I hope the fellow trainer @Petoq1 finds it useful. 

Petoq1
Posted (edited)

What packs would you advise,apart from the newest? As I said I have a idea of what deck I eventually want for when i finish theme vs so I'm looking at specific lists of the cards I'll eventually need. Like this older list takes my fancy. but getting the cards looks expensive to say the least,but this is a long-term goal. And once I purchaed the Relentless Flame theme deck I found my experience much more enjoyable as it does much better than the deck/s I was using. Even though Ive had some close games,including one where my Rapid-dash rolled heads on it's agility 7 times in a row,which my opponent was unhappy with,judging from the things they were sending me.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 12

* 3 Xerneas XY 96

* 3 Gardevoir-EX STS 78
* 2 M Gardevoir-EX PRC 106

* 1 M Gardevoir-EX STS 79

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77

* 1 Hoopa-EX AOR 36

##Trainer Cards - 36

*1 Scramble switch PLS129
* 2 Professor Sycamore XY 122

* 2 N FCO 105

* 3 Cynthia UPR 119

* 1 Lysandre AOR 78

* 1 Guzma BUS 115

* 1 Karen

* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

* 4 Ultra Ball PLB 90
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 3 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 2 Mega Turbo ROS 86
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 1 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124

* 3 Gardevoir Spirit Link PRC 130

* 3 Fairy Garden XY 117

##Energy - 12

* 12 Fairy Energy Energy 9

Total Cards - 60

Edited by Petoq1

Chasista
Posted (edited)

That list looks nice, but yes, old times. Maybe could be improved with some newer cards from last sets (Gardevoir GX?)

The good news is you are aiming Expanded to start, and you already have a lot of nice Expanded cards in collection just starting the game so you don't need to trade for staple trainers like Lysandre, N, Sycamore, Ultra ball, one of the Vs seeker, and probably some other.

I'd personally would get the XY Resilient life Theme deck which includes 2 Xerneas, 2-1 Aromatisse, 1 Fairy garden and also 2-1 Slurpuff that, even was not included in the best Fairy lists back in the XY era, it's also an interesting card to have (I remember the Seismitoad EX/Slurpuff deck including this).

What I see is your deck doesn't include the Aromatisse, and that was huge (you move all energy from the active to other pokémon, full heal with Max potion and return the energies to attack again).

I'd get the Blazing Volcano Theme to get the Guzma, and it's a very good Theme. Also Leaf charge comes with one.

Any of the last 8 Theme (TEU onwards) come with 2 Cynthia. You could get for example Battle mind or Laser focus. While not being very good Themes themselves, BM comes with 2 Welder and LF comes with a 2-2 Malamar engine, thinking in staple stuff for custom decks. Thinking about good Themes the choice could be Towering heights or Unseen depths.

The more Theme you own, the less staple trainers you'll need to trade for (Cynthia, Field blower, Escape board, Lillie, Rescue stretcher, Pal pad, Nest ball...). Mach strike is another with pretty interesting cards.

For the rest of the list (Mega, EX...) the cards are not very expensive but sometimes find them in trades can last a bit because of availability of old cards.

Edited by Chasista
Freaking censor

Petoq1
Posted (edited)

Thanks.Would there be any way of looking up specific cards and finding out which themes if any they are in? Just that right now I'm torn between buying packs of themes as after looking up Gardevoir GX  I want some for my deck eventually,so I'm torn between stockpiling Cosmic Eclipse Booster packs for trading material For Gardevoir GX or buying themes and it'd make things a lot simpler as I could find out which themes have the cards I need for my set.

Edited by Petoq1
Spelling mistake.

Chasista
Posted (edited)

Well you could check which set the card was printed in and then try first checking the Theme decks from that set and then the reprint sets.

Example: Professor Juniper (B&W, DEX and PLF)

1st released in Black and White (2 in each of the 3 Theme)

Dark Explorers (1 in Raiders only)

Plasma Freeze (none)

If not in the 1st set released, you can search in the next sets, "randomly".

Example Cynthia (UPR, HFa)

Ultra prism (2 in Mach strike)

HFa no Themes

But also in SUM era after UPR release: 1 in Twilight rogue (FLi), 2 in each TEU themes and 2 in every next Theme until now.

You can easily check the Themes in the in game shop and soon you'll know more or less what decks could contain certain trainers or pokémon.

Personally I would buy Themes before packs, from newer to older, unless you are interested in certain cards like Plasma trainers: Hypnotoxic laser, Colress... or other trainers like Poke comm (reprinted, so Standard now but released initially in HGSS and then B&W so it's in some of that Theme!), or Pokémon like the Xerneas you were looking for your Expanded deck and so.

If you can't find something, maybe is not there but don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by Chasista
  • Like 1

Mod_GuruLot
On 1/6/2020 at 5:09 PM, Chasista said:

Well you could check which set the card was printed in and then try first checking the Theme decks from that set and then the reprint sets.

Example: Professor Juniper (B&W, DEX and PLF)

1st released in Black and White (2 in each of the 3 Theme)

Dark Explorers (1 in Raiders only)

Plasma Freeze (none)

If not in the 1st set released, you can search in the next sets, "randomly".

Example Cynthia (UPR, HFa)

Ultra prism (2 in Mach strike)

HFa no Themes

But also in SUM era after UPR release: 1 in Twilight rogue (FLi), 2 in each TEU themes and 2 in every next Theme since now.

You can easily check the Themes in the in game shop and soon you'll know more or less what decks could contain certain trainers or pokémon.

Personally I would buy Themes before packs, from newer to older, unless you are interested in certain cards like Plasma trainers: Hypnotoxic laser, Colress... or other trainers like Poke comm (reprinted, so Standard now but released initially in HGSS and then B&W so it's in some of that Theme!), or Pokémon like the Xerneas you were looking for your Expanded deck and so.

If you can't find something, maybe is not there but don't hesitate to ask.

Hello @Chasista

That's a good response! :) 

Thank you for helping out the fellow trainer @Petoq1