ultratribopower

For a new player do you recomend buying decks or booster packs?

ultratribopower

Been playing alot of pokemon TCG online lately, and I am really enjoying the game, its simple to understand and get in but it has enough dept that you can spend alot of hours on it and still learn something new, I have been wondering since I reached 500 gold ( I don't know the currency name of the game I am sorry), Should I buy the deck Towering Heights (since it has some of my favourite pokemon such as Groudon, Garchomp and Mew) Or should I buy packs instead and if so wich ones ? 

Meta Wise I don't know how good Towering Heights is, I don't have enough experience to understand that, do you think its worth it or I am just wasting money?

Also, how good are the theme decks here in general ? alot of other online TCG usually just sell the base deck with some good cards then you have to get the rest yourself to make the deck good.

Thank you for help and patience.

Otakutron

Hi, ultratribopower.  I'm a bit rusty on the Theme Format meta myself, but I have played some since Towering Heights and Unseen Depths were added.

The short version of my advice is yes, go ahead and buy Towering Heights.  I don't know if it is the best Theme Deck in the Theme Format, but when I used it, it seemed reasonably good.  As you also like the Pokémon it contains, that means it should be a worthwhile purchase, and make grinding for rewards in the Theme Format easier.

The less short version is the same, but making sure you know that you probably won't get an overly competitive deck if you use Towering Heights as the base.  Only a few Theme Decks have proven good starting points for such a thing over the years.  However, if you're really new to the game, you're best off sticking with the Theme Format for grinding rewards, anyway.  The best way to get what you need in the PTCGO is like real life; buy/trade for it!  You can't really "buy" here, though, so trading it is.  Know that unopened booster packs are the "true" currency of the PTCGO for this reason.  Placing 4th (or higher) in tournaments ("Events") is probably the best way to earn tradeable booster packs.

If you want a longer explanation, let me know.  Yeah, it can get even longer. XD

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ultratribopower
11 minutes ago, Otakutron said:

Hi, ultratribopower.  I'm a bit rusty on the Theme Format meta myself, but I have played some since Towering Heights and Unseen Depths were added.

The short version of my advice is yes, go ahead and buy Towering Heights.  I don't know if it is the best Theme Deck in the Theme Format, but when I used it, it seemed reasonably good.  As you also like the Pokémon it contains, that means it should be a worthwhile purchase, and make grinding for rewards in the Theme Format easier.

The less short version is the same, but making sure you know that you probably won't get an overly competitive deck if you use Towering Heights as the base.  Only a few Theme Decks have proven good starting points for such a thing over the years.  However, if you're really new to the game, you're best off sticking with the Theme Format for grinding rewards, anyway.  The best way to get what you need in the PTCGO is like real life; buy/trade for it!  You can't really "buy" here, though, so trading it is.  Know that unopened booster packs are the "true" currency of the PTCGO for this reason.  Placing 4th (or higher) in tournaments ("Events") is probably the best way to earn tradeable booster packs.

If you want a longer explanation, let me know.  Yeah, it can get even longer. XD

Thank you for your reply, also nice to know that I can use the decks on the store to grind rewards in the Them Format.

I am 99% inclined to buy Towering Heights, since I really like the pokemon on this deck regardless of how good the deck is, but still, if you don't mind and have time, I would love to hear the longer explanation.

Otakutron

The longer explanation gets into how I recommend approaching the PTCGO.

You begin with the Trainer Challenge... which you've probably already done.  Completing it to get all the rewards - though they're not stellar - but also to get a better handle on the UI and other aspects of playing via the PTCGO instead of the physical card game.  Return to it to break in new Theme Decks, since you can earn a "free" booster pack by beating 12 opponents with that Theme Deck (though the pack is trade-locked).  Then transition to the Theme Format, buying a decent Theme Deck.  Grinding can take a while, so you have to weigh efficacy versus enjoyment; if you have more fun with a slightly less effective deck, go with the latter.

Continue learning and grinding with the Theme Format.  Besides getting used to aspects of the PTCGO that aren't present in the Trainer Challenge - such as various timers - you can start working on developing other skills.  Whether you're a newbie or a World Champion, if the Theme Format is new to you, it is a chance to work on analyzing the ****************** if you are new, you can also benefit from practicing fundamental skills in what you'll eventually learn is a much more predictable metagame.

While "winning lists" or "preferred lists" are a thing with both the physical TCG and the PTCGO, there's always the chance your opponent has deviated from those, and that a seemingly inferior card choice can actually prove advantageous just because i was unexpected.  Theme Decks always have the same list (for that Theme Deck), so you can become familiar or even memorize those lists, and thus better anticipate how your opponent will respond.  Being able to exploit an opponent's poor hand or misplays, survive an opponent's power plays, and handle everything in between is the Pokémon TCG. :)  It is also easier to become proficient with multiple Theme Decks than multiple Standard or Expanded Format decks, and you can practicing "Knowing your enemy" a little easier as well; playing a deck to learn not just how to win with it, but how to win against it.

The Theme Format is also a solid place to grind out the Reward Ladder, and a very good option if you're either a beginner, short on time, or short on the skill needed to "keep up" with the metagame for Standard or Expanded.  Eventually, you'll have enough Tickets to enter Events (the 8-person online tournaments), where finishing in 4th place (or better) means one or more tradeable booster packs in rewards.  Resist opening them - or at least most of them - because odds are low you'll pull exactly what you want, or something easy to trade for what you want.  In fact, you're lucky if the combined contents of your typical booster are worth more than that unopened booster.

Sometimes, you can find threads in the In-Game Item Exchange subforum that are price guides, or massive trading threads that act as price guides, but I don't think any of those are active.  You'll probably have to search for such things elsewhere.  I don't know if I have a link for one that is still "current" handy, and even if I did, board rules prohibit linking to any unofficial Pokémon sites.  Trading itself can be a rewarding experience, as much of a game as the actual TCG. XD  You can take it super serious, tracking your trade performance with spreadsheets, trying to find the optimal price for your stuff... but even if you don't much enjoy it, try to get good enough so you can properly estimate the "going rate".

If/When you decide to advance from Theme, Standard is probably the easier option.  Not always, though; ask around in case the Standard Format's in a bad place.  If you want to get a little competitive, ask around/search online for recent results, as well as any Theme Decks worth combining or doubling up on for a quick budget deck.  Some savvy trading can quickly go from a low-quality budget deck to a high-quality one, and even some competitive decks have budget counterparts, replacing the more expensive cards with those more readily available.  Or just hold out until you can afford to build a "real" deck; depending on how much you can focus on this game, the Theme Format might still be your best option for grinding.

Now... why keep grinding at this point?  Tokens aren't tradeable but they still cover a minor fee for posting trades.  You should be able to grind enough to easily afford both new Theme Decks and a decent pile of trade-locked booster packs for the next set if you play most days and spend tokens on nothing else.  Even if you only play certain days of the week and want/need to spend Tokens on other things, affording something like both new Theme Decks and 5-10 boosters is still pretty attainable.  I mean, you'll usually have three months to build up the needed Tokens.  A trade-locked copy is one less tradeable copy you need of a card, and anything tradeable can be traded for something you'll (eventually) need or want.

Ugh, since this is the long version, I may have left something out.  Go ahead and let me know.  Also, forgive me if all of this was obvious, but I've known many new players (whether completely new or just to the PTCGO) who didn't know all of these things.  I certainly didn't, and I began playing the physical Pokémon TCG back in 1999!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

B-rad_UGG

Also if you have maybe $11-14 to spare once in a while you can get a whole booster box worth of pack card codes from reputable sites (which because it sensors the site names I can't say but the top dogs in the shipping department have them) instead of buying the actual pokemon cards themselves. There cheap and you can get around 36 packs for that price. Over the holidays I spent almost $200 on code cards alone and then started getting into the trade grind and acquired not too bad of a collection.

The best way to build a solid deck is do what I said and pay like a cheap $11 for a booster box worth of codes. The top dog I am referring to that is well known as far as shipping items goes has plenty of these on there site so it's not like you have to go to some shandy shack looking website to get packs. The big names sell them too and also usually the seller sends the codes to your email once the order is processed. Once we get a decent amount of cards pull up the trade area and offers that are already set to the collection you have will be there. What got my attention and made me pretty happy is you can check a box up top to show only offers that you are applicable for in turn making it easy to find trades.

Good luck. And of course buying the actual pokemon cards isn't a bad idea either though that's a cheaper route if you want to acquire more variety of packs and more cards at once.

Edited by B-rad_UGG
  • Like 1

Chasista
6 hours ago, ultratribopower said:

Been playing alot of pokemon TCG online lately, and I am really enjoying the game, its simple to understand and get in but it has enough dept that you can spend alot of hours on it and still learn something new, I have been wondering since I reached 500 gold ( I don't know the currency name of the game I am sorry), Should I buy the deck Towering Heights (since it has some of my favourite pokemon such as Groudon, Garchomp and Mew) Or should I buy packs instead and if so wich ones ? 

Meta Wise I don't know how good Towering Heights is, I don't have enough experience to understand that, do you think its worth it or I am just wasting money?

Also, how good are the theme decks here in general ? alot of other online TCG usually just sell the base deck with some good cards then you have to get the rest yourself to make the deck good.

Thank you for help and patience.

TL;DR others but:

just name it coins, tokens or gold. The word tokens is in it (when you point it with the mouse) but any name, everyone will know.

You should buy Towering heights, yes. Is a very good Theme, I can't say the best but I could say. I mean, it's absolutely great but Theme right now is an open field and a lot of decks counter the others. Probably the more funny and levelled since I started the game some years ago (After Plasma era).

I never buy packs myself. I just ended getting every single Theme short ago, (last 2 the EVOs which are arguably the 2 worst Theme of all the available) and double copies of specific ones to get interesting cards without trading. That's a huge amount of cards to the collection, including a ton of staples trainers and Pokémon engines to build custom later. Packs is not bad but I think some Theme before guarantees a wide range of possibilities for custom and you can play last ones in Theme mode changing now and then.

Theme decks in general are bad, comparing with Custom (well constructed) decks, but lately UPR onwards and all SUM era in general, they became pretty more "powerful" and better structured, with more Trainers than before. That was a huge step and right now all of next are pretty good:

Blazing volcano

Relentless flame

Unseen depths

Towering heights

And very close to tier 1s:

Soaring storm

Laser focus

Imperial command

Tropical takedown

Torrential cannon

Mach strike

Either way, you always will have to get the GX, EX and upcoming Vs to make powerful customs but some of the other cards, specially trainers, can come included in Theme decks and that's great.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Metystos
On 12/21/2019 at 10:20 PM, Otakutron said:

Thank you very much for this great explanation for new players! This should be stickied or something!

On 12/22/2019 at 1:05 AM, Chasista said:

(last 2 the EVOs which are arguably the 2 worst Theme of all the available)

but lately UPR onwards and all SUM era in general

Either way, you always will have to get the GX, EX and upcoming Vs

Hey, could you please explain what these letters mean?

• Upvote 1

SandaledOtter
7 hours ago, Metystos said:

Thank you very much for this great explanation for new players! This should be stickied or something!

Hey, could you please explain what these letters mean?

The 3-letter abbreviations are for sets.

EVO is Evolutions, and those are Mewtwo Mayhem and Pikachu Power.

UPR is Sun & Moon: Ultra Prism.

SUM era is all the Sun & Moon sets.

GX, EX, and V are more powerful Pokémon.

EX are basics from the Black & White and XY era sets with names that have "EX" in capital letters after them. (There are also "ex" Pokémon, which are different, because Japan.) These only evolve into MEGA EX Pokémon.

GX are a similar thing from the Sun & Moon sets. These Pokémon can be any stage, and can evolve from or rarely into others which may or may not be GX Pokémon themselves. (See Eevee GX and Leafeon GX as examples of rare cases.) These also may be Tag Team Pokémon, which feature multiple Pokémon on one card.

V are from the upcoming sets, so we don't have any in the online game yet. These will be more like EX than GX, with each V being a basic stage, and some evolving into VMAX Pokémon.

Each of these has some additional cost, mostly just that your opponent takes extra prize cards for knocking them out (2 or 3, depending). MEGAs end your turn when they evolve.

It is important to remember that ex, EX, GX, and V are all different things, and cards which target one won't target the others, except where they say so.

• Upvote 2

ultratribopower
15 hours ago, SandaledOtter said:

EX are basics from the Black & White and XY era sets with names that have "EX" in capital letters after them. (There are also "ex" Pokémon, which are different, because Japan.) These only evolve into MEGA EX Pokémon.

GX are a similar thing from the Sun & Moon sets. These Pokémon can be any stage, and can evolve from or rarely into others which may or may not be GX Pokémon themselves. (See Eevee GX and Leafeon GX as examples of rare cases.) These also may be Tag Team Pokémon, which feature multiple Pokémon on one card.

How can a new player get them, and in what formats are allowed ? for my knowledge you can't get any in theme deck format, they seem so insanely op that even with the downfall of the enemy getting 2 prizes when he destroys 1 it doesn't matter, all of them are packed with 200hp+ and can do some serious damage in the battlefield

SandaledOtter

After you get a good theme deck, play on the versus ladder (theme deck vs). There you can get packs, tokens, tickets, and cards. Log in every day, to get a pack on every 5th day.

Use the tickets to enter theme event tourneys, where you can win TRADABLE packs. when you have those, look for trades. Unopened tradable packs are the currency of this game.

Also, keep doing the daily challenges. When you get to level 16 and higher, the KO challenges will give you tradable packs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ultratribopower
1 minute ago, SandaledOtter said:

Use the tickets to enter theme event tourneys, where you can win TRADABLE packs. when you have those, look for trades. Unopened tradable packs are the currency of this game.

I actually participated in a tournament of theme deck format that costed 4 tickets, and got 4th place, not bad for first time i would say,  and I did grind the ladder for the prizes but couldn't get the last 3 stars prizes (2k points is alot).