magpulx720

Just bought 500 cards...

magpulx720

So I just bought over 500 pokemon cards for $25! Ranging from a early deck with 64 cards, 82 cards, 102 cards and 130. I've found many mint condition cards like pikachu, eevee etc. Japanesse cards as well and some shadowless trainer cards. Should I keep these safe and sell them or just hold on

Fatcatz2007

Is that really a ? look at thier values,make sure you are not looking at fake card values, sometimes if u want to sell it , you should wait 5-10 years and its price will increase depending on how rare the card is and what expansion it is from.

• Downvote 1

Felidae_

I hate to bear the bringer of bad news, but chances are that your cards are not even worth the $25 you paid for them.

Pokemon cards lose value insanely fast, especially since there is no reason to keep them once they rotate out of Standard / Expanded, except for the sake of collecting.

Collectors however are mostly interested in complete sets and in NM / M condition cards.

But hold up, you might say now, what about those insane 1st edition Charizards you sometimes see on **** floating at thousands of dollars?

The thing here is that those are borderline cases where condition can make up the difference of a couple thousand dollars, not to mention the edition.

As a short example: If you had over to cardmarket, the biggest card trading platform in Europe, you'll find foil Charizard in M condition starting at 80€. A decent looking foil copy from the first edition can cost up to 400€ and a PSA grated on in M is offered from 700€ - 15.000€ (mind you that for the later the price doesn't reflect the market value, it's simply the offer set by the seller.

Back to your cards: you can find those Bulk bundles in most larger game stores. I bought 2x 500 card packs in Tokyo for ~800 Yen (or roughly $8) for novelty sake. Usually those cards would be thrown in the garbage, as no store has the patience to sell cards for 5 cent a piece.

So, what to do: Pokemon cards are cool. It's fun to play with them, it's fun to collect them and they make great presents for your little nephews / siblings, or , depending on your age, for your own kids. I'd hence definitely keep them, but get rid of the idea to hold them as an investment, because there are way better options out there.

• Downvote 1