Sign in to follow this  
Felidae_

4 Decks from International Sao Paolo that will shake up the meta game

Felidae_

Introduction

2 weeks ago the first major event with the new set took place and while my fellow German player Robin Schulz eventually took down the entire thing with Reshiram & Charizard, a bunch of new decks showcased the impact of Cosmic Eclipse. In this article I'll look at 4 decks that peaks my interest, as you can expect to see them a lot on the ladder (note: yeah, I know that the set has been out for a month now, I'm a bit slow to catch up ;) ).

ADP Keldeo

Arceus & Dialga & Palkia (or ADP for short) has been one of the hottest new editions of the set. For a single metal energy it provides a 30 damage boost to all of your attacks. While his main attack isn't that great in most scenarios, the GX attack alone validates the inclusion in a bunch of different decks. One new firned ADP found is Keldeo GX. Although not a new card, Keldeo benefits massively from the attack buff of ADP, allowing it to 2HKO the majority of relevant Pokemon GX / Tag Teams in the format.

We also see Drampa and Mega L&J, two Pokemon that benefit from an energy boost by Ultimate Ray, as well as some neat tools to ensure ADPs survival.

Chaotic Swell is also pretty neat, as it acts as a proactive counter in the stadium war, which is a major setback to a bunch of top tier decks.

ADP Keldeo by Giovanni Peragallo (3rd place)

Spoiler

Pokemon - 16

4 Jirachi TEU 99

2 Arceus & Dialga & Palkia-GX CEC 156

2 Keldeo-GX UNM 47

2 Dedenne-GX UNB 57

1 Mega Lopunny & Jigglypuff-GX CEC 165

1 Lucario & Melmetal-GX UNB 120

1 Blitzle LOT 81

1 Zebstrika LOT 82

1 Drampa CEC 159

1 Phione CEC 57

Trainer - 29

4 Cynthia UPR 119

3 Cynthia & Caitlin CEC 189

2 Mallow & Lana CEC 198

4 Pokémon Communication TEU 152

3 Switch CES 147

2 Tag Call CEC 206

2 Great Catcher CEC 192

1 Reset Stamp UNM 206

2 Escape Board UPR 122

2 Choice Helmet LOT 169

4 Chaotic Swell CEC 187

Energy - 15

8 Water Energy 3

7 Metal Energy 8

Florges Dolls

I love this deck and when you see the list you'll know why. The idea behind this deck is to reply Lillie'S Poke Doll indefinately to stall the game, thanks to Florges,while milling the opponent with Belleba & Brycen-Man.

The beauty of the deck is the simplicity of the engine that honestly only works because you have such a limited amount of tools to snipe none GX Pokemon from the bench in the current Standard meta.

The problem, similar to every stall other stall deck, is the amount of actions you need to perform in your turn and the time it takes to win. I don't expect this deck to be very popular on the ladder, except you are a ****** like me, who cares more about driving the opponent crazy, then to finish the ladder in time.

Florges Dolls by Ondrej Skubal ( 5th place)

Spoiler

Pokemon - 18

4 Flabebe FLI 84

4 Florges FLI 86

4 Jirachi TEU 99

2 Munchlax UNM 173

2 Mew UNB 76

1 Spiritomb UNB 112

1 Latios-GX UNM 78

Trainer - 41

4 Professor Elm's Lecture LOT 188

4 Steven's Resolve CES 145

3 Lusamine CIN 96

2 Bellelba & Brycen-Man CEC 186

1 Tate & Liza CES 148

1 Faba LOT 173

4 Lillie's Poké Doll CEC 197

4 Pokégear 3.0 UNB 182

4 Acro Bike CES 123

3 Pokémon Communication TEU 152

3 Rare Candy CES 142

4 Stealthy Hood UNB 186

2 Escape Board UPR 122

2 Sky Pillar CES 144

Energy - 1

1 Rainbow Energy CES 151

Naganadel & Guzzlord Tag Team

Speaking of decks that appeal to my play style, this is arguably the fastest deck in the format ( and also the one where you can safely go to the toilet on your first turn, as your opponent might need some minutes. If you have played in the Expanded format prior to the new bans oyu might remember good old Mismagius.

This deck utilizes a similar idea of using Mismagius and Dusk Stone for initial card draw, while also activating cards such as Lt. Surge'S Strategy and Beast Ring by killing your own Pokemon. You can then proceed to ideally win the game in 2 hits on a Tag team (yielding 4 prizes thanks to Beast Bringer) and Chaotic Order GX.

The downside to this strategy that you start every game with a prize disadvantage and while N&G have an in-build heal option, one KO can never the less be the end for you.

As long as fairies don't take over the ladder I expect this to be extremely popular, simply because it can win games faster than any other deck in the format.

Naganadel & Guzzlord Tag Team by Igor Costa ( 14th place)

Spoiler

Pokemon - 11

4 Misdreavus UNB 77

4 Mismagius UNB 78

3 Naganadel & Guzzlord-GX CEC 158

Trainer - 41

3 Cynthia & Caitlin CEC 189

3 Bill's Analysis HIF 51

2 Lt. Surge's Strategy HIF 60

2 Mallow & Lana CEC 198

1 Ultra Forest Kartenvoy UNB 188

4 Order Pad UPR 131

4 Dusk Stone UNB 167

4 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113

4 Tag Call CEC 206

4 Beast Ring FLI 102

3 Great Catcher CEC 192

2 Reset Stamp UNM 206

2 Acro Bike CES 123

1 Energy Recycler GRI 123

2 Beast Bringer UNB 164

Energy - 8

4 Psychic Energy 5

3 Darkness Energy 7

1 Beast Energy Prism Star FLI 117

Quagsire Silvally

This deck probably didn't get as much attention as the other ones and I can see why: the set-up is a bit clunky and requires more parts to work than many of the other decks, but if all of the gears click into each other this is a thing of beauty.

You utilze a bunch of new cards, include the amazingly designed Red & Blue supporter,as well as the new Silvally-GX, Blastoise & Piplup GX and Quagsire to move energy around.

IN my opinion the deck is 1 turn to slow to really attack the best decks in the format, but this is one of the decks where expertise with the archetype can really shine through. IF you are looking for a hard deck to master, this is definitely a good contender.

Quagsire Silvally by Stephane Ivanoff (28th place)

Spoiler

Pokemon - 21

4 Type: Null UNM 183

3 Silvally-GX CEC 184

1 Silvally-GX UPR 116

2 Wooper UNB 96

1 Ditto Prism Star LOT 154

3 Quagsire DRM 26

2 Blastoise & Piplup-GX CEC 38

2 Keldeo-GX UNM 47

1 Mega Lopunny & Jigglypuff-GX CEC 165

1 Mew UNB 76

1 Marshadow UNB 81

Trainer - 28

4 Professor Oak's Setup CEC 201

3 Cynthia UPR 119

3 Red & Blue CEC 202

2 Mallow & Lana CEC 198

1 Cynthia & Caitlin CEC 189

4 Tag Call CEC 206

4 Pokémon Communication TEU 152

2 Acro Bike CES 123

2 Great Catcher CEC 192

3 Chaotic Swell CEC 187

Energy - 11

11 Water Energy 3

Honourable mention: Green's ADP

We already mentioned ADP and this deck goes all in on the new triple threat. Utilizing Green's Search, the deck combines ADP with a lot of disruption pieces, in order to make up for the long set-up time of ADP.

A bit to linear for my personal preference, but never the less a force to be reckon with.

Green's ADP by Victor Vieria (7th place)

Spoiler

Pokemon - 8

4 Arceus & Dialga & Palkia-GX CEC 156

2 Cryogonal UNM 46

1 Lucario & Melmetal-GX UNB 120

1 Drampa CEC 159

Trainer - 40

4 Green's Exploration UNB 175

4 Cynthia & Caitlin CEC 189

2 Mallow & Lana CEC 198

1 Guzma & Hala CEC 193

1 Channeler UNM 190

4 Pokégear 3.0 UNB 182

4 Tag Call CEC 206

4 Custom Catcher LOT 171

3 Reset Stamp UNM 206

2 Switch CES 147

2 Great Potion UNM 198

2 Energy Spinner UNB 170

1 Pokémon Communication TEU 152

1 Great Catcher CEC 192

1 Choice Helmet LOT 169

2 Chaotic Swell CEC 187

2 Power Plant UNB 183

Energy - 12

5 Water Energy 3

5 Metal Energy 8

1 Unit Energy GRW UPR 137

1 Unit Energy LPM UPR 138

Closing thoughts

I really like the new set and the impact it has on the meta game. The new Tag Team supporter spicy up deck building quite a bit and cards such ad ADP will be staples in a lot of decks for years (unless they decide to change Expanded at some point).

The only thing that slightly worries me at this point is that we now have two stall decks in the format with Pigeotto and Florges, which will certainly not sit well with everyone. We'll need to wait for more major results, before we can pass judgement on this, but for the time being it looks like it's going to be a fun season to close out the S&M era.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed this short article.

Felidae_

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Chasista

Really interesting 💙

Although anyone can see this decks on the net, it's always interesting to read an article like this and the opinion of one of the greatest trainers we have here in forums (IMO) although you are so in love with the *$%@&" stall decks 😆 Certainly, the first I could think when I discovered the new upcoming Lapras V Max was: This is going to drive crazy to some WailorKarp stall players. (Un)fortunately it's only 20 more HP, an Evolution form and PikaKrom weak so, is going to worth? Archie''s players are despite the last fact, nodding their heads. Will this increase the Tropical beach price to unaffordable? (Bit of pun intended). I hope you make us know your verdict when released 😁

Back to topic, we all can check the decks but most of the people only pay attention to the Top8 or the winner and different lists of the winner archetype, so spotlight a Top 14 or 28, could open eyes to different decks to a lot of people.

Missing Mew3 in the lists. But hey, we all know the deck. And in addition is from UNM, not a lot of changes but mainly trainers have been included to the list with CEC. And this happens a bit with all the meta. While CEC is the last released pack and UNB is the one containing Dedenne and both maintain the perception of most valuable packs, the main cores of all the Meta are  from UNM. For exchange purposes, you need the higher valued packs. If you want to make a deck, you actually need more UNM than any other thing. Awkward PokémonTCG.

Thanks for your point of view, for make it so easy to read, and for making it short too. If I am able to make any Standard deck soon, I'll come back to re-check and be aware of what I'll have to fight against.

Sign in to follow this