Mystik4sT

Best Two theme decks right now?

Mystik4sT

Hello all,

For theme deck arena (the tickets tournament) which do you think are the best two theme decks?  I've been running garchomp + lucio and Empoleon with the X dmg per benched pokemon.  I've come back after a year off to see tons of new theme decks.

Can anyone help me out?

thanks all!

• Downvote 1

Chasista

To me the best is yet Blazing volcano but Relentless flame remains as the more powerful and easy to play deck out there. That fire power converts Unseen depths into an opponent to count with in the Theme format and arguably into the BDIF because no one plays grass and hits fire per weakness. I play Unseen depths a lot.

Either way, both Fire decks are very powerful. Blazing volcano have incredible trainers, several techs and a grass hitter that can be recovered from discard several times to keep hitting hard to some water pokémon. Relentless flame have psy pokémon that are the alternative if water in front.

The counter to Unseen depths is Soaring storm, a deck I didn't tried too much and is not a lot seen in Theme. If in front, is very hard to beat with the water deck but other than that, I think is a complicated deck to play and crashes hard against the fire ones.

A deck I like is Towering heights because is far from the weakness wars and playing is totally different than fire or water that go straight to the win per power.

Theme hasn't been so levelled in a lot of time and is fun to play encountering the 4 or 5 same decks once and again, but at least there are not only a couple of them repeating game after game.

I'd say:

1 Relentless flame (power, easy to play)

2 Unseen depths (weakness)

3 Blazing Volcano (best trainers and techs, harder to manage)

4 Towering heights (good hitters away from weakness, tho a bit slower than the previous)

Edited by Chasista
  • Upvote 1

Mod_GuruLot
4 hours ago, Chasista said:

To me the best is yet Blazing volcano but Relentless flame remains as the more powerful and easy to play deck out there. That fire power converts Unseen depths into an opponent to count with in the Theme format and arguably into the BDIF because no one plays grass and hits fire per weakness. I play Unseen depths a lot.

Either way, both Fire decks are very powerful. Blazing volcano have incredible trainers, several techs and a grass hitter that can be recovered from discard several times to keep hitting hard to some water pokémon. Relentless flame have psy pokémon that are the alternative if water in front.

The counter to Unseen depths is Soaring storm, a deck I didn't tried too much and is not a lot seen in Theme. If in front, is very hard to beat with the water deck but other than that, I think is a complicated deck to play and crashes hard against the fire ones.

A deck I like is Towering heights because is far from the weakness wars and playing is totally different than fire or water that go straight to the win per power.

Theme hasn't been so levelled in a lot of time and is fun to play encountering the 4 or 5 same decks once and again, but at least there are not only a couple of them repeating game after game.

I'd say:

4 Towering heights (good hitters away from weakness, tho a bit slower than the previous)

Hello @Chasista

Thank you for your helpful response! :)

Mystik4sT
9 hours ago, Chasista said:

I'd say:

Thank you for your awesome reply!  I will give relentlessness flame a try for sure.

Unseen depths is a counter to the flame decks?  Is it strong on its own?

Chasista
14 hours ago, Mystik4sT said:

Thank you for your awesome reply!  I will give relentlessness flame a try for sure.

Unseen depths is a counter to the flame decks?  Is it strong on its own?

You're welcome.

Unseen depths can work itself. It's average as you can hit 80 in third turn (starting 1st) if you lucky  to get Golduck,  stage 1. Of course is 60 for 1 energy or 160 for two if fire in front. If not, good enough to get a fast couple KOs (it would be same as Rapidash start with Relentless flame) but the fact is you can't charge more pokémon in bench because of Golduck needing energy re-attachment every turn, unless a 30dmg hit is enough for a turn.

Either way works very good against almost everything once you get your Empoleon out. 1 energy, 100 to bench, 80 to basics denying attack next turn, and the possibility to 130 for 2 energies. The problem comes with Soaring storm and Storm caller (lighting decks) where you can't play your Empoleons as they are KOed easy. Yet have other weapons, the above mentioned Golduck, Kyogre autocharging and the unexpected Ambipom. And Phione's awesome tech.

As I said, Theme is an open battle field now, with more fire than another thing and Unseen depths as a counter but yet some surprise (Towering heights, Soaring storm and the least Laser focus, Storm caller or Tropical takedown for example) once in a while.