Sign in to follow this  
Mwncisee

New Player, New Deck Help please

Mwncisee

Hi folks,

just started to play and know early on I need to use the resources I have wisely to build decks. I am nearly at 500 coins in order to purchase my first themed deck and I want to try to get the best bang for my buck. I have completed the first 7 trainers in the trainer challenge with each of the 3 starter decks you are given. As I understand it I get the cards I get in a theme deck to be able to use for decks that I may make. Although I understand the concept of Rotations and Standard play (I am also a MTG player) it is a little hard to know or find out initially the current rotations and meta. I found this article: https://www.pokemon.com/uk/strategy/a-bite-on-a-budget/ which seems to be the only real budget starter deck info I can find. Sadly the article is not dated and I have tried to check out the details of it and it seems to check out. I actually intend (if it is relevant) to use this as the basis of creating my own physical deck. Can I check it is relevant and up to date? Is it, and will it be an effective deck in the current Standard meta? I am assuming the best deck for me to get in Pokémon Online would be `Mach Strike` as it seems to have the core cards of this deck, would I be correct? Are there better options, if so what?

Sorry for the long list of questions but I want to give myself as good a start as possible and I really appreciate any help.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

SandaledOtter

I personally recommend Standard over Expanded, as it avoids having to obtain the old Ace Specs and other high value cards that are in most Expanded decks. It still means dealing with the GXs, but those are at least still in circulation.

With the linked deck, if you're going Standard, you lose quite a bit. That Alolan Vulpix was important, as was the Double Colorless Energy ⛮ ⛮ . You also lose all the balls, Escape Rope, Rescue Stretcher, and Sophocles.

The best Theme deck right now is probably still Relentless Flame, the Charizard deck. With that, you still lose Kukui, Timer Ball, and Nest Ball if you try to go Standard, but it should beat the trainers easily and hold its own in Theme vs.

I don't know much of the current meta, but the top competitive decks are on display at https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/pokemon-events/championship-series-event-results/

(Bookmark it, the site navigation leaves a lot to be desired.) That's the decks and results of all the Regional, International, and World events over the past few years. Some of those are Expanded, some are Standard, you need to read the text to figure out which is which by matching up the allowed sets.

The rotation announcement on this site isn't updated as new sets are released, and the one on Bulbapedia is a bit behind as well right now, so I can't say where to go for a current Standard rotation set list, other than within the online game itself.

Rotation isn't a rolling list, though; each year it advances to have a new oldest set, and all sets that come out during that year are added to the list without dropping any, so even when those lists don't show the newest set (Sun & Moon: Cosmic Eclipse), they show where the dividing line is. Bear in mind, we're currently in the 2020 season, which ends around the end of summer next year, near the time of the 2020 Worlds event.

SalazzleLover

trheres not really much of a meta just farm packs until you get a gx or tag team gx and build around that deck

also u can do theme tournaments and those give out 1 tradable pack for each level of tournament u win a match AND each tradable pack is worth ~1 gx card

Edited by SalazzleLover
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mwncisee

Thanks to everyone for their help. It is appreciated, especially @SandaledOtter. I followed your advice and picked up the Relentless Flame Theme deck with my first 500 points and have been hitting the trainer challenges and Verses Themed games since. I have got just about to the end of the ** on the progression in the game and so fancied a bit of a change so I wanted to try Standard. Have to say initially it seems a bit of a shame there isn't a separate tracker for progression for each of the different formats. I swapped out the illegal cards from the Relentless Flame deck (the balls etc) and replaced them with what draws I had. I played two games and in both it was very much like taking a knife to a gunfight. GX-Pokemon really annihilated me! I would really like to give Standard a bit more of a go but it seems very difficult to get a foot on the ladder.

So a couple of further questions. I have 1200 coins (can prob get to 1500 by playing more games).

I also intend to buy two physical theme decks on order after payday tomorrow, so I believe they will come with codes. The local shop I play at have a small Pokemon community which are who have got me started playing. They mostly play themed decks, and tend not to play GX abilities.  

Originally I was thinking of buying the Mach Strike deck and Imperial Command deck, giving me two themed decks and which can then be mashed together to form the bulk of this deck: https://www.pokemon.com/uk/strategy/a-bite-on-a-budget/ plus the need for about £5 worth of additional cards. Sadly, as @SandaledOtter has pointed out this will be a deck with some no standard cards. So the questions...

1. Are there any other pairs of theme decks that can be purchased and then combined with a little bit (£10 max) of extra outlay that can be purchased and mashed together to form a standard deck that can at least hold its own in the Standard format?

2. Say two physical decks are purchased giving me the codes for these theme decks for the online game, what other 3 decks could be purchased (in the online version) that may aid in a better standard deck?

Sorry for all the questions and long windedness, but felt I needed to give the details to get the best advice.

Thanks.

Edited by Mwncisee

SandaledOtter

When you buy theme decks and are going to enter codes, there's something to watch for:

The first copy of each deck you get is automatically opened, whether you buy it with coins or enter a code. The next copy is kept sealed until you open from in the "packs" tab of your collection. If sealed, a code-purchased deck can be traded as a whole, or opened for use. So if you aren't sure you want to mash together 2 copies of a deck, get the coin shop one first. Trading is a whole other thing.

I don't really have a solid answer for these questions, but there's a two-deck combination of most of the new decks, I think. If you're mashing together the best bits of two, they should be the same two, as you want more of the same cards to aid consistency. But if you're looking for choice individual cards, there are U-Turn Boards and Weakness Guard Energy ⛮ in Laser Focus 👁️ and Roller Skaters and Draw Energy ⛮ in Unseen Depths 💧. Check your collection and the trade market for these, but they're new and interesting things I don't already have a dozen of. With 2 of each in each deck, getting these shouldn't be too difficult, I just haven't tried yet.

If you go to an in-store event, try talking to people to find out if they use their code cards. If they just toss them out, maybe you can get them.

Sign in to follow this