Craigness

[CARD] Exeggcute (Plasma Freeze 4) - propagation able to be used multiple times

Craigness

The card Exeggcute with the propagation ability clearly states "Once during your turn (before your attack) if this pokemon is in your discard pile, you may put this pokemon into your hand" when playing against an opponent it is actually able to be used multiple times within a single turn. Long story short, i lost a game because of this. Please fix

MASTERMajora

While you make a valid point, I don't believe it is a bug. That 'once during your turn' thing gets reset once the Pokemon goes back into the opponent's hand. To the game, it's as if the card was never in the discard pile during that turn. As such, he/she can use the ability again. I'm not sure if I explained that well enough, but I hope I did. :) 

There's a reason that card was in almost every Black and White-era deck. Lol, it's a very, very good one!

• Upvote 1

Mod_Elderberry

Thank you Trainer MASTERMajora for your post and for helping!

I have updated the title of this thread to better reflect the bug reporting title format.

LiquidLutetium

Bit of an older post, but I'll explain anyways; this isn't a bug. This is an intended interaction. It has to do with how the hand is "private information". The opponent can't see the hand, and even if they KNOW a card is in the hand, they aren't allowed to see. Whenever Exeggcute PLF 4 goes from the discard to the hand, it goes from public to private information, so even if it was discarded again, they wouldn't be able to say that you were "reusing" it, effectively nullifying the once per turn clause. 

Mod_GuruLot

Hello @Craigness, @MASTERMajora and @LiquidLutetium

I'm sorry to hear you may have found a bug.

If you run into this situation again would you please place a game log in this topic so we can review it to make sure it is a bug?

Thank you!

IceBeamTogetic

As others have said before, this isn't a bug. When exeggcute transitions from a zone of public knowledge (discard pile) to a zone of private knowledge (hand), the "once per turn" piece effectively resets as LiquidLutetium pointed out.

For an official ruling, here is the entry from the Compendium:

Q. If I use Exeggcute's "Propagation" Ability to retrieve it from the Discard Pile into my hand, then use something like Ultra Ball or Computer Search to discard Exeggcute, would I be able to use "Propagation" again to retrieve it from the Discard Pile?
A. Yes, whenever Exeggcute is in the Discard Pile, you may use Propagation during your turn as long as its Ability has not been disabled. (Plasma Freeze FAQ; May 16, 2013 TPCi Rules Team)