ChrisLuvTravel

Newbie Here, Question About Trainer Challenge

ChrisLuvTravel

Hi, I am new to PTCG, i just started this game yesterday, is my first time playing PTCG, I am currently stucked at Gold and Platinum every opponent 3 stars. I am not sure how can i get 4 star and get the booster. 

Currently i have 561 tokens, do i need to buy any theme deck? If yes which deck is more recommended? 

Currently i only have Born Of Fire, Crushing Current, Hidden Depths and Mental Might. 

Thanks for helping.

Mod_GuruLot
3 hours ago, ChrisLuvTravel said:

Hi, I am new to PTCG, i just started this game yesterday, is my first time playing PTCG, I am currently stucked at Gold and Platinum every opponent 3 stars. I am not sure how can i get 4 star and get the booster. 

Currently i have 561 tokens, do i need to buy any theme deck? If yes which deck is more recommended? 

Currently i only have Born Of Fire, Crushing Current, Hidden Depths and Mental Might. 

Thanks for helping.

Hello @ChrisLuvTravel

Let me welcome you to the game and to the forum! :)

In this forum, we have some really lovely and helping trainers who would possibly advise you on this soon. 

XK920XK
4 hours ago, ChrisLuvTravel said:

which deck is more recommended? 

Relentless Flame theme deck is probably the most popular.

Its a very straight forward strong deck, most people will say its either 1st or 2nd best theme deck out.

Otakutron
7 hours ago, ChrisLuvTravel said:

I... don't remember either, I'm afraid.  Sorry, it has been years since I completed the Trainer Challenge. ^^'  What I do know is that you can get a booster by take any of the Theme Decks from the in-game shop, beat any 12 of the CPU opponents, and then get a non-tradeable booster pack.

7 hours ago, ChrisLuvTravel said:

Thanks for helping.

The Trainer Challenge is like an extended tutorial.

The Theme Format is your next step for the PTCGO.  It is a good way to get used to how it is battling people online, specifically via the PTCGO.  Even if you have the resources to jump to Standard or Expanded, I recommend spending at least a little time in the Theme Format...

...and not buying a Theme Deck until after the new set (with two new Theme Decks) is available in the PTCGO.  I think that happens this Friday (November 1st).  The contents of the decks are already floating around online, and it looks like we'll have at least a solid [F] Type deck and a solid [W] Type deck added to the Theme Format metagame.  It is possible that either could topple Relentless Flame as the best deck for new players, and if the [W] deck proves very strong, then it might make Relentless Flame a bad pick.

I hope waiting isn't too hard. ^^'

SandaledOtter
43 minutes ago, Otakutron said:

...and it looks like we'll have at least a solid [F] Type deck and a solid [W] Type deck added to the Theme Format metagame.  It is possible that either could topple Relentless Flame as the best deck for new players, and if the [W] deck proves very strong, then it might make Relentless Flame a bad pick.

I hope waiting isn't too hard. ^^'

Aw, come on. Where are the strong Fairy, Metal, Lightning, or anything else decks? If they want everything to be fire water grass, they should just get rid of the other types.

Anyway, yes, you need a 4th deck to complete the Trainer challenges.

• Upvote 1

Otakutron

@SandaledOtter I don't disagree.  Except the thing about Lightning Theme decks.  You're right that we haven't had a Metal-Theme Deck since Steel Sun, which released alongside SM - Guardians Rising, and we haven't had a Fairy-Theme Deck since Sky Guardian, which released alongside XY - Fates Collide over three and a half years ago!

Even ignoring stuff like the Let's Play, Pikachu! Theme Deck, Lightning Decks aren't rare:

• Leaf Charge (SM - Celestial Storm; August 2018)
  • Storm Caller (SM - Lost Thunder; November 2018)
  • Lightning Loop (SM - Unbroken Bonds; May 2019)
  • Soaring Storm (SM - Unified Minds; August 2019)

Yes, Leaf Charge is Grass/Lightning and Soaring Storm is Dragon/Lightning, but the former has been adequate for countering typical anti-Relentless Flame plays, and the latter has just been solid enough to still see play without usually enjoying Type-advantage.  Storm Caller and Lightning Loop fall into the "Awesome when they don't brick" camp, which I still find (just barely) "competitive" for the Theme Format, but that might be my error. ^^'