aecm90

Buying Packs From PTCGO Store With Real Money

aecm90
Posted (edited)

I want to start playing Legacy format but don't have any Legacy cards and unable to find codes to purchase online. Will take me forever to grind enough coins to buy packs and build a deck. Would be much easier if I could just buy the packs with real money from the PTCGO store. Do you think there will ever be an option to buy digital packs with real money?

Edited by aecm90

SandaledOtter

It was a thing for a while, IF you lived in Canada, but they never expanded it and eventually removed it. You can find old references around to "gems" that you could buy to make purchases.

There were actually some gem-exclusive items (not specific cards) that are now completely unobtainable.

aecm90
Posted (edited)

I see the gems were way overpriced too. Pretty sure you can buy digital packs in Yugioh, MTG, and Hearthstone. Why not Pokemon?

Edited by aecm90

Srlojohn
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, aecm90 said:

Why not Pokemon?

I'm not a member of the PTCGO team, so don't take my word on this, but I think it's because they want you to buy the paper product. Why would they spend the time and money processing transactions through the game, when you can go out and buy the paper product? Most people, (though not everyone I'm sure) plays both paper and online, so there's no reason to not buy the paper booster packs (barring lack of funds of course).

Edited by Srlojohn
quantifiers.

Otakutron
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, aecm90 said:

I see the gems were way overpriced too. Pretty sure you can buy digital packs in Yugioh, MTG, and Hearthstone. Why not Pokemon?

Because it is Pokémon; it isn't necessary and when they tried it, it didn't turn out all that well.

If you need a card in the PTCGO, the best way to get it is (usually) to trade for it.  Which does not require those older booster packs; even if folks are hesitant to trade directly for the latest boosters, you just add a step or three to the trading game.  If you really enjoy opening booster packs... then just open those, or open the new stuff and use that to trade your way to what you need for the Legacy Format.

If you really want in-game purchases, using actual currency, instead of asking for the return of Gems, or just the ability to buy boosters, how about an in-game card shop for singles?  I mean, if the reason you wanted Legacy Format boosters was to avoid the time and effort of the "trading game", this would do that and avoid the time and luck requirement of the "pull from packs" game. XP

Note: I am a PTCGO-exclusive player, though I first began with the physical trading card game all the way back in 1999!  Just for the sake of reference. ;)

Edited by Otakutron

Srlojohn
14 hours ago, aecm90 said:

Hearthstone.

I just realized you said Hearthstone, hearthstone is entirely digital, it doesn't exist in the real world like PCTG or Magic. Online is the only way to get cards.