Sign in to follow this  
Akiowo

Non Pkm-X Mode

Akiowo

Anyone interested in a game mode with no EX / GX cards? Theme mode is like this, sure, and I have a ton of theme decks but I rarely play that mode as I don't really like any of the decks and want to make my own.

I find that most games seem to revole around GX pokemon and even more so now with so many people having Tag Team cards. I have over 700 different pokemon cards and almost all of them just aren't really that useful when 99% of games have various GX in play. Of course there are tons of counters like items and some pokemon to do more damage or take less from EX, stadiums to damage GX and all sorts, and then you have Ninetales and Hoopa that are completely immune to EX GX and are fantastic at making players quit the game because they have 4 GX on their bench. It was pretty rough going before I had my own collection of decent GX and cards with good abilities but now there are no problems and I still have a lot of fun playing with and against these cards.

I would still really enjoy a mode maybe a bit more old school where it does not have the 300hp and 300 damage cards we have gotten from the power creep. If not that, maybe a mode where you can only have 1 EX / GX per deck? It could serve to drastically increase the effective variation on decks, given how the vast majority of cards are not GX but almost everyone seems to play with GX cards. I probably see one of the Buzzwole or Necrozoma GX every few games on average but if I scroll through my standard pokemon cards I could probably say for half of them that I have never seen them fielded even once.

What do you think?

Mod_GuruLot
18 minutes ago, Akiowo said:

Anyone interested in a game mode with no EX / GX cards? Theme mode is like this, sure, and I have a ton of theme decks but I rarely play that mode as I don't really like any of the decks and want to make my own.

I find that most games seem to revole around GX pokemon and even more so now with so many people having Tag Team cards. I have over 700 different pokemon cards and almost all of them just aren't really that useful when 99% of games have various GX in play. Of course there are tons of counters like items and some pokemon to do more damage or take less from EX, stadiums to damage GX and all sorts, and then you have Ninetales and Hoopa that are completely immune to EX GX and are fantastic at making players quit the game because they have 4 GX on their bench. It was pretty rough going before I had my own collection of decent GX and cards with good abilities but now there are no problems and I still have a lot of fun playing with and against these cards.

I would still really enjoy a mode maybe a bit more old school where it does not have the 300hp and 300 damage cards we have gotten from the power creep. If not that, maybe a mode where you can only have 1 EX / GX per deck? It could serve to drastically increase the effective variation on decks, given how the vast majority of cards are not GX but almost everyone seems to play with GX cards. I probably see one of the Buzzwole or Necrozoma GX every few games on average but if I scroll through my standard pokemon cards I could probably say for half of them that I have never seen them fielded even once.

What do you think?

Hello @Akiowo

Thank you for taking the time to share your suggestion with the forum!

I'm forwarding your thoughts regarding the mode of 1 EX / GX per deck to the development team for their review. 

MASTERMajora

Personally, I think it's a great idea!

While EX's are my favorite kind of cards out there, I would love a mode without them. There might finally be some variation in decks, and I could get to use some of my favorite cards that I haven't been able to use before!

Akiowo

Yeah I do like using my X cards but I am looking longingly at some of my standard pokemon like, I'd love to use you but there just is no point.

Otakutron
On 9/21/2019 at 12:33 PM, Akiowo said:

What do you think?

As you know, right now we have the Theme Format, Standard Format, Expanded Format, and Legacy Format available for the Reward Ladder VS Mode (you can do whatever you want when playing people directly).  What you may not know is we've been told: they don't want to add another Format because the player base is already spread pretty thin between what we already have.

It is also worth noting that, for the entire history of the game, most of the cards legal in a Format were... well... filler.  I went back to older Formats where I thought most cards had potential, and I realized that was just because I didn't know the game as well back then, mixed with how it used to be harder to learn what decks and what lists worked well.  After all, not all Pokémon-EX/GX cards are good.  Some are pretty bad, and were even when they were brand new.  Even since the introduction of Pokémon-GX, we've seen decks running no or low Pokémon-GX counts dominate.  A Format with only single-Prize Pokémon is still going to have a small portion of the cardpool competitive, the rest as filler.  indeed, the reason some single-Prize Pokémon aren't dominating right now is specifically because the multi-Prize Pokémon keep them in check.

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this