Akiowo

Quitting Matches

Akiowo

I seem to have a bit of a problem lately, finding that it can be really hard to complete the "knock out 12 with type X" challenge. This is because painfully often, if I am the first person to k/o a pokemon and the other person doesn't have a bench that is far stronger than mine, like a bunch of GX all with full energy, then people just quit. This coupled with the general quitting you get from people just having a terrible start or a really unlucky deck matchup means that I am having to join sometimes 20+ games and even on a rare few occasions (that I have gotten really annoyed at) 30 games with a single-type deck to complete the k/o challenge with that type.

This got me wondering if there will ever be any effects for quitting games too often? Punishing players with very short bans like some games do might work but that seems like a way to discourage people playing, so I am not sure exactly what would be a good way to go about it. Surely there must be a nice way to incentivise people to want to finish matches or at least play more than 5 turns before quitting.

• Downvote 3

MASTERMajora

These kind of challenges can be a bit frustrating. I can relate to the people quitting thing -- that drives me nuts!

The best advice I can offer is stick to the Theme Decks. There's a strong deck for most types out there. What's nice is you don't have to win the game for your progress to count towards the challenge. Although, Theme Deck battles can be frustrating in their own right for other reasons. lol

Good luck!

Wise_Sage

This problem exists for years..  i thought that they should have points deducted if they quit. I think the best way to conquer the knockout challenge is by joining the tournament.  People tend to quit less.  But, I noticed that there are less people playing this game nowadays.  I had to wait more than 15 minutes because there aren’t enough people joining. 

Otakutron

The short version is that - based on how it hasn't changed - the Knock Out Challenge is supposed to take 10 to 20 games to complete.

Punishing people for quitting sounds tempting, until one remembers all those times their battery died, their wi-fi badly hiccuped, and other similar technical issues that result in someone quitting without meaning to.  Next you have real life getting in the way; should someone be punished because someone in the house suddenly needs their help?  Finally, a lot of folks just value being able to quit on a moment's notice.  I mean, if my opponent is intentionally dragging things out when they just need to attack to win, I prefer being able to freely concede.

TL;DR: The KO Challenge is supposed to be that hard, as it rewards you with a pack (eventually a Tradeable pack).  Penalizing people for quitting is tempting, but even as someone who thinks it is "wrong" to quit a game without a good reason... how does the PTCGO know when you've got a good reason to quit?

Akiowo

Well yeah I was thinking if people quit tons then it might be an idea. Battery and network failure and software errors are, generally speaking, extremely infrequent. As in, *most* of the time there aren't problems. Unless someone is always trying to play the game on data in a bad network zone I guess...
At the same time I would be comfortable estimating that people aren't constantly blasted with issues that take them away from games, such that *most* of the time you can actually sit and play a 10 minute match without being hassled. This doesn't really correlate to what I see in the game (sometimes) where with certain decks I play, far more often than not people quit unless they greatly outplay me in the first few turns.

Other games that come to mind that punish quitting, it is more like if you instantly quit 10 games in a row something happens. Don't game me wrong I even think the challenges could be made harder but for sure they need to be applicable to people who only play a few games now and then. I don't specifically have a problem with the length of the challenge so much as the huge difficulty of being able to actually complete a match. You say a challenge is *supposed* to take 20 games but that means they designed an aspect of the game to require you to not be able to finish matches.

Felidae_

The biggest problem in my opinion is the whole idea of a “daily reward/quest”. Despite acquiring multiple quest slots while progressing through the levels, a lot of players (or at least those vocal on the forums) tend to forget that you don't have to complete those quests in a single day and you still get a new quest the following one.

We can all agree that they are a bit tedious to complete (not challenging for a difficulty reason, but more for a time consuming one) and the best solution would probably to grant the other player the remaining prize count in K.O.'s if the opponent leaves the game.

Then again, grinding is part of the nature of any TCG and from a developer aspect it would be odd to add a system that diminishes the time that players are “forced” to play the game every day (going back to my initial statement).

What I found works best is only to take a KO challenge for a type whose deck I'm currently playing on the ladder and then gather K.O.'s simply by playing the game. Sometimes I even forgot I had the challenge active and then its always a nice surprise when I get a booster out of the blue.

There is one thing that I've been preaching for years now and I will continue to do so: Have fun. If something is boring, tedious, or downright unpleasant then don't do it. For all that is worth a pack is worth less than 99cents (based on the money you'd spend for a code card on the secondary market).

So, if you spend 1 hour to grind with a deck that you don't like, just to complete the challenge (and clearly don't enjoy your time doing so), how about you spend an extra hour working, get yourself X booster instead, build the deck you want and enjoy the game how it is meant to be :).

• Upvote 2

Akiowo

Yeah for sure if I am not playing a type I just wont pick a challenge for that type, unless there is no choice. Just to reiterate my issue was with people quitting. I have no beef with the challenges themselves really.

XP_On

For me, the main problem is Daily Versus Reward.

Since start playing, i try to get this everyday to collect token and buy Deck

1. Mistery Box
  2. Mistery Box
  3. 10 Tokens
  4. Mistery Box
  5. 20 Tokens
  6. 30 Tokens
  7. Mistery Box
  8. 50 Tokens
  9. Tournament Ticket
  10. 50 Tokens
  11. Mistery Box

my target is to get atleast 160 Tokens each day.... so when the games is a sure lost, i tend to quit. because i dont have 10+hours to play and get 10 or 11 win each day

srsrox

No way. If I'm playing a game and I know I'm going to lose, or if I don't want to play the deck you're using, then I'll quit. It should be my right. You get the win and reward anyways. The challenges should change though, but in real life, you can drop out, so it should be in this game without punishment.

• Upvote 2

Otakutron

While you should be able to quit, srsrox said some questionable stuff... so I'm questioning it.  I may find out I am wrong, though. XD

14 hours ago, srsrox said:

You get the win and reward anyways.

Exactly, you're taking the one thing from your opponent you can; the satisfaction of actually finishing the game.  If you're quitting because you can't win, then you're not giving them the win or reward or anything like that.  You may be saving them time, however, ignoring the Daily Challenge side of things.

14 hours ago, srsrox said:

...but in real life, you can drop out, so it should be in this game without punishment. 

Is that true?  Remember that the Reward Ladder of the PTCGO is more like Pokémon League, not a tournament.  I mean, if it was a tournament, you'd be damaging your record so there is a penalty, just one you might be willing to pay.

I haven't been to Pokémon League in over a decade for various reasons.  I used to attend multiple official Pokémon Leagues back in the early 2000s, even running a few.  There were rules against conceding prematurely, to prevent someone from milking the League Rewards.  I don't know if this was official, or even permitted under the official rules, but that was the way it was.

At League, players were free to challenge whomever they wanted, which is also different from the PTCGO; maybe that justified the difference.  The thing is, if you were that kid who quit anytime you fell sufficiently behind, folks only challenged you if they thought you were an easy win: there wasn't enough time to waste on someone who couldn't commit to finishing the game, and we were there to play Pokémon! :)

srsrox
On 10/2/2019 at 10:01 AM, Otakutron said:

While you should be able to quit, srsrox said some questionable stuff... so I'm questioning it.  I may find out I am wrong, though. XD

Exactly, you're taking the one thing from your opponent you can; the satisfaction of actually finishing the game.  If you're quitting because you can't win, then you're not giving them the win or reward or anything like that.  You may be saving them time, however, ignoring the Daily Challenge side of things.

Is that true?  Remember that the Reward Ladder of the PTCGO is more like Pokémon League, not a tournament.  I mean, if it was a tournament, you'd be damaging your record so there is a penalty, just one you might be willing to pay.

I haven't been to Pokémon League in over a decade for various reasons.  I used to attend multiple official Pokémon Leagues back in the early 2000s, even running a few.  There were rules against conceding prematurely, to prevent someone from milking the League Rewards.  I don't know if this was official, or even permitted under the official rules, but that was the way it was.

At League, players were free to challenge whomever they wanted, which is also different from the PTCGO; maybe that justified the difference.  The thing is, if you were that kid who quit anytime you fell sufficiently behind, folks only challenged you if they thought you were an easy win: there wasn't enough time to waste on someone who couldn't commit to finishing the game, and we were there to play Pokémon! :)

Sorry man, and I mean this with respect, but I'm not going to play a full game because you want a specific type of satisfaction you crave. You won... that's the point of the game. I don't have to take a beating to make you feel good, in all due respect again. Honestly, I would feel bad if I was destroying someone or making them play when I know they can't win. Seems a bit harsh honestly. That can be quite despriting for your opponent.

Now if you want to finish a full game because of the Daily Challenges, that may more be an issue with those challenges than the matches. Maybe it does need changing. I'd love it if they would have more variety for example.

I dunno about you, but I play to play really good, close matches, not me destroying my opponent or them destroying me. As such, I shouldn't be forced to do the latter. And sometimes, I just don't want to test my deck against specific archetypes, either because it's redundant and boring (a BIG reason why for me), or because I know I'm going to thrash them or be thrashed. That's also boring.

Best to leave it as it is.

Edited by srsrox

Otakutron

@srsrox I've got to ask, how much of this thread did you read?  Relax, I'm not saying you only read the title and then posted an answer, but your response to my then most recent post seemed to ignore a lot of what I've said.  Including what was being said in that specific post (as opposed to overall). Edit: Which could just mean I ain't understanding you, right. /Edit

I originally was going to break it all down line by line, but it will be both more concise and courteous to just point out your argument hinges on your preferences and how you feel, while you disregard everyone else.  I don't like being robbed of the satisfaction of finishing a task (completing a game).  You don't like being bored by a game.  Where we differ is basic sportsmanship; both players can concede but recognize that they came here to play a game.  If it ends up going how they don't like, that doesn't mean they shouldn't finish.  Your opponents on the PTCGO are human.

Nor am I for any of the proposed changes, and doubt a workable solution would ever be found.  So we don't disagree there, even if we arrive at the same conclusion through very different routes.  I will point out that, if you feel so strongly about how matches should go, then you shouldn't be on the ladder; challenge folks directly so that your expectations can be met!  If I took some of the wording you used seriously, I'd be concerned about your mental health as tolerating the game for another minute or three when you truly cannot win shouldn't be so fearsome for you. ;)

Edited by Otakutron
Left out a line, making me sound worse than normal

XP_On
5 hours ago, Otakutron said:

If it ends up going how they don't like, that doesn't mean they shouldn't finish.

I should think of this more...

i wish we can have a fuction to ask the opponent if he/she mind if we concede....

Edited by XP_On
  • Upvote 2