Sign in to follow this  
wesknowsbest

[Card] Can Rowlet&A.Exeggutor's Super Growth evolve on 1st turn?

wesknowsbest

Hello, 

I wanted to report that the game will not allow Rowlet & Alolan Exeggutor to evolve Pokemon with their first attack "Super Growth" on the first turn of the game when going second. As I understand it, this is allowed by the rules and wording of the attack. 

Thanks!

ApertureB

Can confirm this, will list no viable targets regardless of bench when using the attack, effectively making the cards point worthless.

SandaledOtter
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, wesknowsbest said:

Hello, 

I wanted to report that the game will not allow Rowlet & Alolan Exeggutor to evolve Pokemon with their first attack "Super Growth" on the first turn of the game when going second. As I understand it, this is allowed by the rules and wording of the attack. 

Thanks!

The wording of the attack, from this site https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/sm-series/sm11/1/ is as follows:

Super Growth

Search your deck for a card that evolves from 1 of your 🍃 Pokémon 
and put it onto that Pokémon to evolve it. If that Pokémon is now 
a Stage 1 Pokémon, search your deck for a Stage 2 Pokémon that 
evolves from that Pokémon and put it onto that Pokémon to evolve it. 
Then, shuffle your deck.

There's nothing there about "if you go second" or being able to use it "on your first turn or the turn the Pokémon comes into play," so why would it allow that?

Edited by SandaledOtter
  • Downvote 3

wesknowsbest
1 hour ago, SandaledOtter said:

The wording of the attack, from this site https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/sm-series/sm11/1/ is as follows:

There's nothing there about "if you go second" or being able to use it "on your first turn or the turn the Pokémon comes into play," so why would it allow that?

Because it says "put it on to that pokemon to evolve it." This is the same wording as Evolsoda, EXCEPT it doesn't have the "you can't play this on the first turn" disclamier that evolsoda has. Also, PTCGO allows you to use super growth to evolve pokemon who are just placed on your bench after the first turn, even though you wouldn't normally be able to do that either. 

Also here is the Japanese ruling: https://www.pokemon-card.com/rules/faq/search.php?freeword=モクロー%26アローラナッシーGX&regulation_faq_main_item1=XY

Bakourage

I chose to go second. I had placed Treecko as my active and Bounsweet as my benched pokémon. My opponent takes their turn and then it's my turn. I use a cherish ball to get Rowlet & Alolan Exeggutor GX and place him on my bench. Add a grass energy to Treecko to retreat him and then select Rowlet & Alolan Exeggutor GX as my active. I used his attack to evolve a basic pokémon but it wouldn't allow me to select either Grovyle or Steenee to evolve into. My opponent takes their next turn and then I add a grass energy to Rowlet & Alolan Exeggutor GX and use his attack and this time it did allow me to evolve Bounsweet to Steenee and then to Tsareena.

Biffmasta

I am running into this issue going 2nd and attacking on the first turn of the game. The whole reason this card is so good is because u can get out any stage 2 pokemon if you go second, on your first turn of the game. All the programmers need to do is allow the attack to break the evolution rule on turn 1 going second. Problem solved. 

This is a huge problem that the debugging team needs to address  asap. :)

Biffmasta

Lets get this issue addressed!. ptcgo  is disallowing first turn evolutions when the player going second uses super growth on their first turn of the game. This glitch is likely due to not coding specifically for breaking first turn evolution rules. Should be a relatively esay fix for the coding team. 

Mod_Turtle

Hello @Biffmasta,

This issue has been reported to the development team. Hopefully they can find a fix for this soon.

While we're waiting for this to be patched, I'd love to know what type of decks you have planned for Rowlet & Alolan Exeggutor-GX. This card seems incredible but with so many Stage 2 Grass type Pokémon, I can't decide which ones to play with it. I'm a big fan of energy acceleration decks so I'm thinking Venusaur (Jungle Totem) or Tsareena (Queenly Reward). Do you think those are good options?

Biffmasta

Hi Mod turtle,

glad to hear this issue is officially pending. The card is better in expanded so you can get turn 1 vileplume item ******************************************************* alolan eggs with xtra damage output, healing, and yes jungle totem to expedite the ability to attack. u could also go ahead and try and use other attackers instead. celesaur or muk muk tag teams. there is also the ************** prevents basics from attacking u can get out and use virizion gxs gx attack that allows u to leave this lone vileplume in play such that any deck without any evolutions or garbotoxin will auto lose. 

its is not as good in standard but with weakness guard energy and the leavvny that reduces damage by 40 and healing cards in conjunction with its attack that heals itself - the tanking potential is there. 

nautiscarader

I'm having tremendous fun with my Rowlet & Alolan Exeggutor, but I noticed something odd: I think their Super Growth attack doesn't work on first turn. I have saved a log where I had This card as the active one and Treecko on bench, and when I used Super Groth, I couldn't get any of the cards to evolve my Pokémon, even though I had Grovyle in deck. I could however, do it in one of next turns, despite the fact that it was the same turn I put Bulbasaur on bench, and somehow,  I was able to evolve him into Ivysaur and Venusaur.

Now, I know that Pokémon cannot evolve on the first turn or the first turn they are introduced (RIP Wally, we all miss you, you were banned for no reason at all, my boy). But Super Growth doesn't mention that. 

So.. is this a bug?

nautiscarader
On 8/3/2019 at 2:12 PM, SandaledOtter said:

Because there is no saying you can't do that. Also, if we were going by the evolution rules, one couldn't us SUper Growth to evolve Pokémon on their first turn. And SG can do that (as long as it is not the bugged first turn of the game). The whole point of SG is so you can do that from the very start of the game. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this