Sign in to follow this  
SirCharles91

Mew & Mewtwo GX has destroyed the balance

SirCharles91

Well, let's be honest: the game was already ****************** the fact that one of the strongest existing cards (if not THE strongest), i mean Reshiram & Charizard GX, has the best energy accelerating / recovering system (Welder, Kawe, Fire Flint, Crystal of fire, and so on). Anyway, when you face a Reshizard deck and you don't have a tier one GX deck or a water deck, you still have chances if your opponent is unlucky in first hands and draws. 

But, Mew & Metwo GX... Guys, this card simply destroyed the balance of the ******** needs only 3 cards to basically win every game: Jolteon GX against basic pokemon decks, Glaceon GX against evolution decks, Mewtwo EX for switching the damage count, and some pokemon with attacks which can be used to take down EX/GX walls like Hoopa and Baby Ninetales. And, if you somehow succeed in doing some damage to other pokemons in the bench, well: they can use the GX attack to heal them all! And against Power Plant, well... you can simply have in your deck some Field Blowers and a lot of stadium cards, and Mew & Mewtwo Gx will be unstoppable!

Basically, if you don't have a tier 1 deck or a very good pshychic deck (but hey! now we have Jirachi GX), playing against a Mew & Mewtwo deck is simply an autoloss. The only chance you have is when your opponent has the Battle Compressor cards in the prizes, but it's a very very very uncommon situation... 

So, what's the fun in playing in the expanded format, from now on? I think that the only choice we have is:

- stop playing PTCG 

- builing our own Mew & Mewtwo GX deck, or build a Reshizard deck

- to coalize in some form of association of non-Mew&Mewtwo GX players, quitting the game everytime you face a Mew&Mewto GX ******** those players will have not fun and play other decks to have some fun. 

Really, guys... Why has this card been created? It's very powerful, and it can easily disrupt any tactict you have against it (mainly, Power Plant). In the past, stronger cards used to exist and win more games than others, and it's normal, but this card simply has no problems against 9 of 10 existing decks...

Edited by SirCharles91

harshu

You could always use Alolan Muk (power of alchemy)..

Pajacyk

4 Power plants (if not enough just add some Silent labs) + Malamar wins easily. If you worry about Jolteon EX and Glaceon EX just play Pokemon Ranger.

Giratina + choice band = 320 with weakness = 1 shot even with fighting fury belt. If giratina is too expensive then go for UM necrozma and some recycle energies. Necrozma GX or Ultra Necrozma GX will do the job too (they're not expensive at all). Maybe add Dawn Wings Necrozma GX too for free retreater and nice 120 base damage. Want non-basic psychic attacker? Trashalanche garbodor. They use battle compressors and other items so it's building up very quickly. Play some enhanced hammers because they probably rely on rainbow and double colorless energies.

CaptnSpicyPants

This is a silly outlook on perhaps one of the easiest cards to counter as mentioned from the previous two posters I not only have and use it but get wrecked by Power plants, high psychic damage, Alolan Muks sitting on a bench 1st turn Kogas Traps followed by insert power building pokemon on first rotation. Mewtwo and Mew is a strong card but not impossible to beat by any means in fact unless you're running a Latios GX and discard for the Tag Teams and maybe a Kaldeo on your bench to rotate out on basic GX/EX you're gonna die a lot with this card. I'm sorry if you're struggling against it but it's really not as OP as you make it out to be plenty of counters for it just gotta practice a bit more. Best of luck to you out there.

Otakutron

@SirCharles91I think Mewtwo & Mew-GX is "too good" but I think that of most of the competitive cardpool.  With respect to that competitive cardpool, there appear to be sufficient counters.  Others have already addressed this.

Aspects of how Mewtwo & Mew-GX are going to affect things could still be worth discussing, even with an eye towards game balance, but after so many years, I've learned it is best to present the problem in generic terms or to very carefully layout your reasoning behind it, so you can more easily see (and accept) when things are missed.

For example, going all the way back to Mewtwo (NXD), I remember how it instantly became a must-run card when it was new.  However, this was in part because of cards like Double Colorless Energy and pre-errata Pokémon Catcher also being legal.  Without the former, its X-Ball attack was far less impressive, and without the latter, you couldn't take out an opponent's Benched Mewtwo-EX, waiting-to-Evolve Basics, etc. as easily.  A lot of folks back then wanted Mewtwo-EX gone, but my point to them was "Why not get rid of DCE instead?"  They did present counterarguments, but that is how discussion is supposed to work.  Oh, and sure enough, as more Pokémon-EX released, Mewtwo-EX saw its "powerhouse" status fade more and more, to the point where even in Expanded, you don't really expect to see it.

Sign in to follow this