motyr

Reset Stamp? Are you serious?

motyr

Ok, so sure, the Judge card is annoying, but at least it's fair. It affects both players equally and it has additional utility. But this Reset Stamp card is just ridiculous! AND it's an item card, not even a supporter! So the going strategy now is for everyone just to spam reset stamps at each other? It makes setup for both parties impractical and slows gameplay dramatically. It will eventually reach a point in Sun and Moon where every deck MUST have them to be competitive. I thought it was the goal of the game makers to NOT to produce cards like that; cards that limit the choice, flavor, strategy, and overall flexibility of the player.  At the very least it could have been some kind of "diamond prism" or only-one-per-deck kind of card. Overall, Reset Stamp cards should be banned in standard mode, and the sooner the better.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Ash101416744

Reset Stamp should definitely be banned in standard mode

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

SandaledOtter

People need to stop downvoting things without responding. I'll go the other way:

This doesn't seem as powerful as you claim. Its most extreme application during setup would be to cancel the effect of an attack that allows your opponent to search for a card but not play it. In the early game, the card would otherwise probably help them. It isn't until the late game that it would restrict hand size the way N used to.

From your comment, not having seen the card previously, I thought it might do something like restart the opponent's game!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Otakutron

Reset Stamp strikes me as a questionable addition to the game, because I think cultivating a good, strong hand ought to be one of the major skills in pretty much any TCG.  If I didn't, it would seem to be a fairly balanced card.  Your opponent is only out an Item but you're always shuffling and drawing for at least one card.  The better your deck, the less of an issue Reset Stamp can be, and if your hand is already poor going in, the better the chances are that you'll top deck what you need e.g. five card hand of dead cards versus shuffle-and-draw for one card... that happens to be a Lillie.

That said, I'm probably not going to enjoy Reset Stamp being part of the metagame.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Insouciance

I think it is a good addition even though I don't like to be the receiving end of it. It gives opponent a chance to comeback. Especially against decks that is built around Tagteam pokemon that goes for a one shot kill. Then again, against meta dark decks that uses plentiful of jupiter/sycamore and shaymin-ex. This shouldn't pose a problem as they are always ready to replenish their hands.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ash101416744

How can you call it a good addition if you don't like being on the receiving end of it? That's basically being a hypocrite.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Felidae_

I'm more surprised that no one has complained about the turn 1 Vileplumes that will be added to Expanded....

Regarding Reset Stamp:

The card is insane and broken, there is no point of arguing against that. However, in the Standard environment I don't see too much harm as of the moment, simply because a lot of decks tend to generate their resources through the existing board and not through their hand, thus Reset Stamp isn't going to set someone back to an unwinnable scenario. Or, to phrase it differently: with the card in the meta you are forced to think carefully about your attacks and when you want to KO a Tag Team Pokemon.

The format that scars me way more is Expanded, because stall decks are going to have much fun with this card.

Pokemon is one of those games where you interactions with the other player are fairly limited and thus I can totally understand why people are complaining about this card. Then again, if N and similar effects wouldn't exist you were forced into a very narrow design philosophy when it comes to deck building, as no punishment means that you should play as reckless as possible.

Just imagine for a world an Expanded meta without N.

Speaking of N, I see the one sided effect of Reset Stamp as a double edged sword. Being able to refresh your hand, even if you lose card quantity, can sometimes win you the game. Disrupting your opponent is nice and all, but there are so many angles from which you can do that and reducing their hand isn't going to magically put you ahead in the board state. Not being able to play the card on turn 1 to get a fresh hand further limits the use, as you don't automatically have space for 4 situational disruption pieces in every list.

I said this is a deck thread once: the problem with bad cards that help you in a narrow scenario is that you tend to focus more on the outcome of said scenario, rather then question how you ended there in the first place. Stamp has a similar flair, where we'll see a lot of players ranging after losing the game to the card, when in reality the probably made one or two misplays that lead them to be in a situation where a single Reset Stamp was devastating enough.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Insouciance
7 hours ago, Ash101416744 said:

How can you call it a good addition if you don't like being on the receiving end of it? That's basically being a hypocrite.

No, it just means I enjoy the challenge of facing that potential scenario. It can't be always easy for you to win isn't it?  With N already available, reset stamp is no different. Just an itemized version of it. How we deal with N will be no different on how we deal with reset stamp.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Ash101416744

Dealing with reset stamp will be completely different compared to dealing with N considering that reset stamp is an item card while N is a supporter and it's not in the standard format.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

harshu
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Felidae_ said:

I'm more surprised that no one has complained about the turn 1 Vileplumes that will be added to Expanded....

Regarding Reset Stamp:

The card is insane and broken, there is no point of arguing against that. *********** the Standard environment I don't see too much harm as of the moment, simply because a lot of decks tend to generate their resources through the existing board and not through their hand, thus Reset Stamp isn't going to set someone back to an unwinnable scenario. ****** phrase it differently: with the card in the meta you are forced to think carefully about your attacks and when you want to KO a Tag Team Pokemon.

The format that scars me way more is Expanded, because stall decks are going to have much fun with this card.

Pokemon is one of those games where you interactions with the other player are fairly limited and thus I can totally understand why people are complaining about this card. Then again, if N and similar effects wouldn't exist you were forced into a very narrow design philosophy when it comes to deck ************ no punishment means that you should play as reckless as possible.

Well technically its a turn 2 vileplume as you can't attack on turn1. _As basically its like trevenant, the opponent will atleast get a hint of what he is going against and atleast 1 turn of playing with items. This won't be much a huge problem for speed decks like Reshizard/Pikarom that tend to set up turn 2 with decent damage. This will slow them down and force people to make decks to deal with vileplume and decidueye. Atleast not as broken as FOGP + vileplume or wally + trevenant.

For reset stamp, I don't think it would be damaging unless the opponent has already done damage. It would only would differ from a red card when opponent has taken more than 3 prize cards. Usually this would indicate that the guy who has taken 3 prizes is already in a good position and has set up. However, this is not true with stall decks. They tend to dismantle mostly everything. But because its an item card, you can play it with likes of Team skull grunt/flare grunt/team rocket's handiwork etc.. which is why the combo is so deadly. Similar to Red Card + deliquent + peeking card..

Reset stamp will make things frustrating but then again, things like zoroark have survived a ban, I don't know if they will ban a card from new expansion again. All I see is stall decks coming to power, similar to Reshizard and Pikarom, where even the less skilled decks could win easily due to the sheer amount of damage and high numbers + speed. With this card, the formats will slow down again. But then again, expanded has shaymins. So I don't know if it will be absolutely broken. But yes, the card has enough potential to make stall decks tier 1.

Edited by harshu
Fixed all the censored words. But not accurately.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Ash101416744

Considering Zoroark survived a ban, I guess you could say that reset stamp will. Though I think it does depend on how much draw support we will receive in future expansions.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Felidae_
2 hours ago, harshu said:

Well technically its a turn 2 vileplume

Oh. Holy cow I always thought it wasn an ability and not an attack xD. Guess your opponent gets to enjoy one turn of items then ^^.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Ash101416744

I bet someone is going to downvote this comment too.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

motyr

Just kidding with the down vote Ash, couldn't help myself 😄

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Ash101416744

Thanks, motyr, I really appreciate the downvote. 😏

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Ash101416744

-18...it can't get worse...right?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Otakutron
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ash101416744 said:

-18...it can't get worse...right?

Oh, it absolutely can.  I mean, I am making this comment because your last few comments almost read like you're trying to get people to Downvote your stuff. @_@  It is like when you want someone to do something but either have to resort to reverse psychology to get them to do it, or at least offer the pretext you didn't want it for some reason.

"Oh gee, I hope no one looks at my exam paper as I bend over to tie my shoes while the teacher is gone.  Especially not my best friend, whom I know needs to really pass this exam."

Edit: Try not to let the Downvotes get to you, either.  Most folks on here know how easy it is to get Downvote spammed and so they aren't going to avoid you for it.

Edited by Otakutron
  • Downvote 3

Ash101416744
Posted (edited)

I'll assure you that I'm not trying to get people to Downvote my stuff and I would definitely not do that for a best friend. 

Edited by Ash101416744
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Otakutron
Posted (edited)

Heh, and as of this comment, I've got three downvotes.  Unfortunately, I can't tell if they really disagree with what I said, or if it was because of my really, really lame example.  I was drawing a blank for better ones that were also board appropriate. ^^'

Eh, probably just spamming it since it looks like my other comment got hit.  Oh well.

Edited by Otakutron
  • Downvote 1

Reshizard21

I've never had someone upvote my comment. Just downvote

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2