Sign in to follow this  
Pacopalypse

Theme-decks playing feedback and suggestion

Pacopalypse
Posted (edited)

Hi ! Fairly new user here.
Spend quite some time in the last couple of week discovering the game via theme-deck playing, and it really has been a lot of fun.

Now like everybody else, i can't help but to notice that the "rentless flame" deck is being over-played.
For a good reason of course : it is the most powerfull theme deck (great damage / energy efficient / big health / great fetching / draw / stall / and recursion). This thing dwarf all the other theme decks.
I don't mind playing against it of course, but it is a shame that we can't get more varied encounters, out of such a roster of different decks.

I would really like to see some "pick & eliminate" matchmaking on this format. (you pick the deck you want to play, and 1 deck you don't want to play against).
This would make for really interesting games. Like you could avoid fighting the same match-ups again and again. You don't choose your opponent, but you can choose to have them be different each time.

Also, i would reaaaaly enjoy a more varied set of emotes to use in play (i like to comment the game with them, but it's hard to have some nuance).
Annnd, that's all for now : ). Theme decks are really fun, thank for this great game.

Edited by Pacopalypse

Otakutron
Posted (edited)

Feedback for the Dev Team is Feedback for the Dev Team, but as someone who "shares" your problem, I'd like to offer some solutions based on what you can already do with the game.  A word of caution, though; I've been busy for the last month or so, which means I haven't been playing.  It is possible things have shifted dramatically from where they were about two or three months ago but... probably not.  Relentless Flame has been the go-to deck since it released, and this pattern isn't actually new.

If you directly challenge friends - as opposed to using the VS Mode - you can mutually agree not to use a particular Theme Deck.  You won't earn rewards this way but the main point of offering Rewards in the Versus Mode is because you're facing all comers.  If you're encountering a lot of Relentless Flame decks, consider playing a deck with a favorable match-up against it and decent (or better) match-ups against the other likely decks.  You can even go a step further, and run a deck that counters the counters.

Oh, and the latest set is about to drop, which means there is at least a chance that Relentless Flame will be dethroned.  Anyway, if the Dev Team were to make a change to the PTCGO to deal with the issue, just making games best two of three might suffice.  Relentless Flame is so strong in part because its strategy is tailored to "grinding".  When it works, it works and you have a probable fast win.  When it doesn't, it doesn't and you've got a probable loss... and then you concede or just naturally lose fast.  Changing things to best two out of three suddenly makes those misfires a more significant concern.

Edited by Otakutron

Pacopalypse

Thx for these proposals : ).
I already follow most of them (playing match-up, with friends etc), and was suggesting - pick & eliminate - precisely to fix the issue (dominance of 1 deck) without having to circle around the main gameplay experience (Vs match with new opponents, which i enjoy : ).

To win or loose is not the real problem for me here, but more the variety of play.
Having to play the same thing several times in a row is less fun to me.

Yelf59

2 new theme decks should be available today...

I'm very impatient :)

Sign in to follow this