Sign in to follow this  
Rolci

Juniper can't be used when decked out?

Rolci
Posted (edited)

Suppose you have a night march deck and you have one more pokemon left to knock out to win. You have no cards left in your deck. You need to discard one more pokemon with NM, which is in your hand along with a juniper or sycamore.  I apologise if my recollection of the game I just had is incorrect, but I could swear I hadn't used a supporter in my last turn of the game. (Different scenario but irrelevant.) I had no cards left in my deck but had Juniper, but playing it was not an option. I am fairly certain you can use Juniper and Sycamore when you have less than 7 cards left in your deck, same goes for Dedenne GX. I do not see why a no-cards-left situation should be any different.

These cards do not say "if you have no cards left you cannot use this card/ability". Usually if such is the case cards stipulate clearly, as in the case of Kahili: "If you have no cards in your deck, you can't play this card." Juniper has no such commentary. I have been trying to find the relevant ruling on this but found nothing. Is this a bug or intended? Or had I just played a supporter that same turn and have false recollection?

Thanks for any clues.

Edited by Rolci
  • Upvote 1

XK920XK

Per Rules Team.

Q. Can you use Professor Juniper or Professor Sycamore with no cards in your deck, just to discard your hand?
A. No, you cannot. Discarding your hand is a cost not the effect, and you cannot play Trainer cards for no effect. (Apr 27, 2017 TPCi Rules Team)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Sign in to follow this