Sign in to follow this  
DojiHoturi

Pokemon TCG is dead

DojiHoturi
Posted (edited)

Let me start by saying that I have played from the ************* fact, once upon a time I was a tournament organizer for WOTC back when they first owned the game in America. had it's ups and downs, but ultimately was entertaining as a TCG. 

No more. 

I stepped away from the game for the better part of a decade and got back into it for the past few years, playing off and on through the online game. What I have discovered is that this game has utterly destroyed any sense of tactics and fun. You either play a few overpowered cards/decks or lose to them. However, I am not complaining about losing, I have had my fair share of wins. What I am saying is that this game is pitiful. The cards are out of control, the net-decks are horribly overpowered, and all these ex, gx, and tag-team cards are only a symptom of poor design and greed. Instead of creating a game where it takes thinking, logic, and some level of loyalty to your favorite pokemon, you are given an series of rare atom-bomb cards. After a while, when everyone has enough of those and are hosing each other with those atom-bombs, the designers create even bigger atom-bombs, and then the cycle begins again, and then even bigger bombs are needed. All of which are rare cards, mind you, which only line the pockets of the game ********** you want to play with your favorite pokemon, sorry if they aren't overpowered atom-bombs. What to create a fun deck that might have a chance of winning, oops all of your attacks aren't big enough and your hitpoints are a one shot hit from an ex/gx card. And please, don't go on some stupid diatribe about how this strategy or that will beat this card or that. Yes, I know that nothing in this game is perfectly invulnerable, some come close, but nothing is unbeatable. However, the game is nothing but a face smash with no enjoyment. The only real pleasure left in this game is winning, which is why it is nothing more than a pitiful, joyless, PTW game. 

Oh, and before you tell me that Ex, Gx, and Tag-Team cards aren't too powerful; why are there so many cards that are specifically against them? If you have to design very specific defense for exactly one type of card, not even an energy type, but a select type of rare card, you have created an overpowered card. If basic strategy with battling cannot possibly stand against them, and you need extremely specific defense mechanisms designed in the game, you have poor design and need to rethink what you are doing with this game. 

This game has potential, always has. But, unless they stop the insane powercurve and net-deck mania, this game is worthless. 

Why then is the game still thriving? Because it requires little to no thought to create an overpowered deck. All you need is the right amount of money and to download the right deck which, surprise, the company designed ahead of time for you. You want to get that *****************************, but by no means try to expand yourself into new areas, you will be punished for free thinking by the net-decks and overpowered cards.

Edited by DojiHoturi
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

DojiHoturi

I have no idea why it is blocking out parts, I did not use any bad language. I don't know what's going on with this.

• Upvote 2

Felidae_

I can understand where you are coming from, but despite that I honestly think that your perception is deluded by nostalgia towards the “good old days”.

No one is going to argue that the power level has risen over the years. That is true for any TCG game out there and clearly in line with the marketing strategy (after all they want to sell you booster and blister and if the new cards are weaker than the old ones, there is hardly any point buying the new product).

You should also keep in mind that the core audience for the ********************************************** still very young. Yes, on a competitive level you have a lot of older people playing the game, but I'm fairly sure the design philosophy for new cards is more aimed towards a younger audience. I won't start the “EX / GX cards are overpowered” discussion ******** pretty much everything that needs to say about this topic has already been said a dozen ******

*** for netdecking: we live in a digital age and sharing information and strategy with others is easy as pie. I remember back in the old days where I was actual buying magazines, that had the winning lists from the MtG World Championship in ******** a casual scrub it was impossible to get those cards anyway, but it was cool to see what the pros were playing.

Another factor that changed dramatically over the year is accessibility to cards. Being able to purchase what you need and thus create an even playing field is one of the best aspects of the modern TCG era in my opinion.

Last but not least, let's talk about tactics and meta game: Although the pacing of the game is certainly different from your time, saying that today no tactic is required to win is quite ignorant. If you look at the tournament results you'll see the same names over and over again, a clear indicator that somehow the game still requires skill in order to play flawlessly over the course of 7+ *******

*** for the meta game: Looking at the decks that won worlds in 2009-2006 I fail to see how the meta game was different back in the days. You'll always have your “best decks” that are standing on top of the foodchain.

This game is certainly not perfect and the online game is a bug infested, poorly coded pile of horse ****, but arguing that the game is in a weaker state than it used to be 10 years ago is certainly not true.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

EpicShonenGuy

I thought this would be a good rant thread but basically you're just complaining about the power creep. There will be alot more of fun and creative decks post-rotation, since we will lose some staple cards, don't fool yourself Pokemon TCG is far for being dead, it's still as alive as ever, find your way into the game and have fun.

• Upvote 1

Sniperi96
Posted (edited)

Still if you only take look at last big tournament Columbus, you find that good fourth of the decks are either running no gxs or only 1 or 2, zapdos and weezing being the buggest ones, former being tier 1 deck since its release. In top 8  3 of the decks were non-gx based. And yes, while you may argue that gx'es are overpowered, here is the thing:

Card doesn't have to be gx to be meta defining or to be overpowered nor does being gx make the card overpowered. Only a handful of gxs are viable, and I would argue that if you took top contenders (pikarom, reshizard, zoro) out of the game, there would be absolute zapdos dominance. Also only taking look at dpp/plat sets, you find cards such as gardevoir, uxie and so on, cards that have insane effects, effects that have been transfered into gx cards to give chance for opponent to punish playing them due to 2 price rule.

The situation, where you can make any deck viable at highest level is not possible. It has never been, never will be, in any tcg. Cards have different effects and stats and this means no matter what, some will rise suprime. Actually I would argue if it wasn't for exs/gxs the normal cards had risen the powerlevel far higher than it's currently. If not with stats, with effects. As former oldschool (2006-2013) Ygo tcg player I would say the latter is the worse one. I also find pokemon card prices quite reasonable. While I'm not aware of where the ygo prices currently stand, many time did I find during my play time the top deck (let's say 2009 Lightsworn) being in 1000+ dollars, in Pokemon I would most likely be able to easily buy complete reshizard with 200 dollars or less.

Edited by Sniperi96
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Sniperi96

And yet I need to add(sorry doublepost): Having top tier deck doesn't make you top tier player. The players who win tournaments didn't get there just because they netdecked. Having deck is one thing, but being able to play it perfectly in every matchup is completely different story.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

LoXazak

Maybe it's the time to add new play category/format: Classic.
And make next deck scale:
Theme decks
Classic decks
Standard decks
Expanded and ect. decks

Where Classic decks could include cards from generations until XY and have few banned overpowered cards as Expanded decks.

Otakutron
15 hours ago, DojiHoturi said:

I have no idea why it is blocking out parts, I did not use any bad language. I don't know what's going on with this.

While I hesitate to call it "logical", there is a method to the madness.  You've got corporate interests meshing with (overly?) protective parents and the folks who like to push the limits.  Even things that seem mild are likely to be censored.  The same filter is apparently used for all the subforums here, regardless of the language being spoken.  Things the board rules prohibit discussing are also censored.  Finally, from folks trying to bypass the filter, many things are "hit" because of that.

As for your first comment, @DojiHoturi I have to disagree.  Strongly.  So much that I'm not sure where to begin.  I could probably write multi-paragraph responses to each of several different points you brought up or things you did (or did not) do.  I actually have a start to it that I copied and pasted to a document for later, if I need it, because after working on this response for over an hour, I didn't want it to all go to waste.

So I'll just lightly touch upon them:

• This is not a topic for your first post on these message boards.  It would have served you well to get to know us, and in turn, to let us get to know you before resurrecting this particular zombie horse.
  • Speaking of zombie horses; that is what this is; a topic that is often discussed and explained, but which keeps coming up as someone (usually someone quite new) posts it.
  • The Pokémon TCG has never been a well-balanced game.
  • Neither is [insert any other successful TCG]
  • There are tricks to faking such balance, however, from lowering expectations to baffling things like how net-decking used to be frowned upon instead of seeing as the obvious first step-in deck building. ¬_¬
  • A playerbase being ignorant really helps, and naturally, the newer the game (and further back in time you go), the harder it is to find folks who know what they are talking about.
  • Things like Pokémon-GX are simply the latest gimmick; some are trash and some are game defining.  They have counters because the new gimmick always receives counters and support, even when they aren't needed.  Ban all Pokémon-GX, and you'll change the top decks, but while they'll use different cards they'll feel the same.
  • As a reminder, some of the most broken cards ever released are still from Base Set, and while power creep has left most older Pokémon behind, you can find the equivalents of modern Pokémon-GX among them, as or more broken than their modern counterparts.

Bit late, but I should introduce myself as well; I began playing the Pokémon TCG around January of 1999.  I've never been a particularly good player, but I'm still very experienced so I can sometimes fake it. ;) Though very few were paid jobs, I have written about the Pokémon TCG since about 2003 or 2004.  I have taken breaks from the game since I first started, even attempted to quit twice (maybe three times?), but I've kept coming back.

Yes, this is me keeping things brief.

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this