Eden2902

New old player needs help with actual meta / cards

Eden2902

Hi, 

I've quit the game a while ago and now have 5 booster GRI, Alola Ninetales GX (fairy), Solgaleo GX SM 104 Promo and masses of trainer cards and so on. 

I have all theme decks including entei and suicune. Which theme deck is actual the best? 

Which booster are the new GRI, the stable currency, to which I trade everything to start? 

Is trading with profit still possible or are now no margins possible? I saw that card values are much lower than a few years ago (for example Tapu Lele GX for 24 booster).

Every help is appreciated! 

Yelf59
Posted (edited)

Nowaday, The best theme deck is relentless flame.

The best boosters for exchanges are Unbroken Bonds.

As long as I know, the most expensive card from Unbroken Bonds  is Reshiram & Charizard GX : about 20..24 GRI

If you want to make profit, you should wait for the next expansion :)

Edited by Yelf59

Eden2902
36 minutes ago, Yelf59 said:

Nowaday, The best theme deck is relentless flame.

The best boosters for exchanges are Unbroken Bonds.

As long as I know, the most expensive card from Unbroken Bonds  is Reshiram & Charizard GX : about 20..24 GRI

If you want to make profit, you should wait for the next expansion :)

Hey, thanks for your answer! Are you sure unbroken bonds is the new GRI? I transform my whole collection so you must be sure xD

How can I make profit then? Any hints? 

Eden2902

Oh and what could you guys advice me to do? What target should I have first? I missed 2 expansions and really don't know what to do xD

RobRatt
3 hours ago, Eden2902 said:

Are you sure unbroken bonds is the new GRI? I transform my whole collection so you must be sure xD

Unbroken Bonds is the current "standard currency" in the game.  AND, importantly, it is NOT.

The last few sets have been huge.  With that comes the difficulty of getting playsets of the Rares, GX's, SR's, etc.  This has caused "whatever is the latest booster" to be the standard for trading.  I wouldn't recommend banking everything on Unbroken Bonds because Unified Minds comes out August 2nd.  It's another monster set, which makes collecting it very difficult.  If the pattern holds, it will become the new "must have" booster pack.

We're in a loop that reminds me of days past.  Everyone keeps talking, "Oh, this next set is going to be the best ever."  Truth is, it won't be, but the hype is reality.  ...until the next set.  and the next.  and the next.

• Like 1

Eden2902

Ouch :( what should I do then? I've selled everything (it hadnt much value either) and now have ~25 booster unbroken bonds. 

Any hints for where to start and how to 'conserve' value? 

Sadra

This is not going to be something you would like to hear but I don't think that you could 'collect them all' or even simply get the cards you need by simply trading in a short period of time. Most of my friends have left the online game because the trade market is not at a good state for traders at least: you could earn a few packs I guess, but the reward is really not proportional to the effort you put in. I don't know about you but I have a lot of better things to do than stare at the trades endlessly every day. The suggestions I would give you are:

1. If you play the game IRL you should have no trouble getting those codes from booster boxes.

2. This sounds stupid but go buy some codes on **** or whatever platform is the cheapest. 

• Upvote 1

Eden2902

OK I have to ask before I invest too much time:

Before I quit last year I traded, for example, Guardevoir-Gx. I bought it for 3 GRI and sold it for 5 GRI. So I had in no time an expensive deck and additionally 100 GRI. 

That worked because of partially massive valuation differences. Now I see on the famous Outcast website that most cards are just worth one booster. So: is the time of massive trading over? 

It took for me just 10 mins. daily to increase my booster, never played a tournament. If that isn't possible anymore because most cards haven't mich value than I wouldn't rejoin the game. 

Eden2902

I opened all boosters (because it's fun) and uninstalled it. I saw it myself that looking at the market takes more time than I play and the theme decks and their power creep force you to buy always the newer ones just to see too often that this game is insanely luck dependent. Sorry if I wasted time of someone. I started and ended at the best time I guess. As I started this games had events. Now I also see that the devs are still lazy and the market is as buggy as it was 4 years ago. It's a shame that someone get money for this. For everyone who is able to have fun with it I wish fun! 

• Upvote 1

RedLadySophia

You are correct in stating that this game is mostly luck. Sadly, many players  do not know that fact and seem to play with a better than you attitude. All TCG's have a measure of luck in their game. That is why I play the game, just for fun. If I win, great, if I lose, great. I have 100 decks and many are no longer competitive due to power gain. Play chess, it has no luck.

The days of rapidly getting a top deck and clearing the board is gone. Cards are getting stronger with each new release. Sadra is correct, "This is not going to be something you would like to hear but I don't think that you could 'collect them all' or even simply get the cards you need by simply trading in a short period of time." Most players have to do some grinding and trading to get a competitive deck. You think grinding is bad here, try playing MtG Arena.

Again, play for fun, its much more enjoyable that way.

• Upvote 1

Sadra
On 7/24/2019 at 4:00 AM, RedLadySophia said:

You are correct in stating that this game is mostly luck. Sadly, many players  do not know that fact and seem to play with a better than you attitude. All TCG's have a measure of luck in their game. That is why I play the game, just for fun. If I win, great, if I lose, great. I have 100 decks and many are no longer competitive due to power gain. Play chess, it has no luck.

While I do agree with the fact that luck does play a certain role in the TCG and I do believe that some players do underestimate this factor, I still think that skill, at least in this game, plays the most prominent role. Actually, around 50% of the skills lie within deck building while the other 50% depends on the player's ability on conserving resources, advanced planning, and correct sequencing. This is why the same players keeps on making it to the top, rather than having random players in the top finals.

However, if your referring to the online game, then yes, luck is a huge factor here. Players only get to play one match instead of 3 and not to mention the problematic shuffling system online. As a player who has played IRL for many years, I can say that the online game is nothing like the real card game and all of my competitive decks had to be heavily tweaked online just for the sake of consistency. 

On 7/24/2019 at 4:00 AM, RedLadySophia said:

Again, play for fun, its much more enjoyable that way.

Yes, games should be only for fun, though there is nothing wrong trying to excel at the game you play. Just like you said, put your pride in chess, or anything else that does not depend on luck, and you will live more happily that way. 

• Upvote 2

RedLadySophia

"stating that this game is mostly luck" This was my statement that THIS online Pokemon game is largely based on ************************************************************************************************** Magic the Gathering its best out of 3 with 15 card sideboards to modify your decks as needed for a *************** THIS online game you have no sideboard and if the "problematic shuffling system" gives you a bad hand the match is usually ******** best out of ***** sideboard to modify to needs. THIS online version of Pokemon desperately needs a better (Best out of 3) tournament system to enhance interest. I do have some very competitive PTCGO decks but mostly play this online game just for the fun of it. FtF tournaments, well that is another story.

While I do agree with the fact that luck does play a certain role in the TCG and I do believe that some players do underestimate this ************************************ least in this game, plays the most prominent role. Actually, around 50% of the skills lie within deck building while the other 50% depends on the player's ability on conserving resources, advanced planning, and correct sequencing. This is why the same players keeps on making it to the top, rather than having random players in the top finals. 50% deck building and 50% game play implies there is no luck in this online version of Pokemon, which is simply not true. I do agree with your statement in FtF tournament games and where luck can be reduced. Building your deck to match the current meta and knowing your deck ********** does  allow the best players to rise to the top. 

I do agree that the online version of any TCG is not the same thing as face to face. RL tournament games are far harder, cost real money and travel time along with many other factors not ************* addition to our Pokemon Online  game, I play Pokemon Go, real life MtG modern tournaments (12 decks),  MtG Arena and MTGO. I have over 17,000 online games played here, 100 decks and 40 yrs gaming experience, and that does not count the other online games I have played. I wrote the game guides for "Tribal Wars." Guess you can say I am a gaming nut! ****

***.  I also have an active life outside of gaming. :)

Otakutron
22 hours ago, RedLadySophia said:

THIS online game you have no sideboard

Pokémon lacks a Side Board because such a mechanic does not work well with the structure of this TCG.  I'm not sure it even works that well in games that do have Side Boards, but the point is that too many cards aren't "deck-specific" enough.  Besides, in a sense Pokémon has the best Side Board... one you actually run inside your deck.  That is what concepts such as metagaming and TecH are all about; knowing how many of your allotted 60 cards you can spare for countering problem situations or common plays. :)

If you'll indulge me, if I were to tweak Pokémon to address this issue, I would not add a Side Board in the traditional sense.  I'd either:

1. Have players bring two decks to tournaments instead of one.  This shouldn't be an issue for casual play (they can keep playing single game matches with one deck).  I'm a bit concerned about the cost increase, I admit.  Then again, most of that increase would apply with Side Boards as well.  Anyway, between games, during a match, you'd have the option of switching from your primary deck to your secondary deck.
  2. Have players select what cards go into their Prize slots, including the knowledge of what Prize is what.  It creates some complications with older card effects but I believe this would reduce (if not eliminate) an unneeded aspect of "luck" in the TCG.  Not all luck, just one I've grown quite tired of over the decades.  With respect to a Side Board and TecH, it means cards that aren't needed for a particular match-up can simply be used as Prizes so they don't interfere with the rest of your deck.  At the same time, however, you still have to weigh that against putting cards that aren't really counters to something else, but which feed into your main strategy.  Especially if those cards are more useful when received later in the game.

Sadra
On 8/1/2019 at 5:02 AM, RedLadySophia said:

50% deck building and 50% game play implies there is no luck in this online version of Pokemon, which is simply not true.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that skills account for 80% while luck accounts for 20%, the 50-50 lies within the 80%. However, the luck factor plays a more crucial role in circumstances where two players with similar skills and both plays perfectly, especially in mirror matches. For the online game, skill:luck ratio is 50-50. I forgot to mention that the problematic clustering effect does not only give you bad hands, in quite a few occasions it gives you hands that are quite outrageous as well. But draws do not work that way: while statistically it can happen, most of the draws should fall within a certain spectrum: either good or bad, but it should not happen constantly. IRL I have never drew 4 zoruas or 3 vs seekers,  get or 3 DCEs prized in the past two years, not even once, but online, this happens at least 4 or 5 times a week.