Sign in to follow this  
SuperStone

...In which SuperStone reviews all the changes to the game and forums.

SuperStone
Posted (edited)

Howdy yall!  I haven't been here (or in the game) for about two months, and dang does it look different.  I do have to apologize for the unannounced absence; I had a lot of projects going on one week, and having gotten out of the habit of logging in daily I never got back in.  It was never intentional- well, I guess that's not quite true :P at some points it was probably intentional to avoid the awkwardness of reintroductions.  But mostly it was just a lack of habit plus procrastination.  So now I'm wading through a reservoir of back-stocked threads.  I've done all of Deck Construction, and I made a point of reading Otakutron's hijacked thread [Link banned by the Hyperspace Commission] with your opinions on the new reputation system before reviewing it myself.  But I do have plenty of opinions about it and thus without- well, honestly, I've never liked the phrase "without further ado."  It seems like further ado in itself, and most people can't pull off saying it without sounding silly or somewhat condescending.

Anyways.

The updates to the TCGO. 

I see mostly no change here except for the new set (UnB).  They did claim, though, that this brought major bug fixes.  Well, I suppose there may have been, but:

• "Beast Energy Prism Star is temporarily banned from play until a fix for this bug can be deployed." Beast energy is down.  That seems like a heavy loss.  Maybe let's keep score.  We'll say one point TPCi for what they fixed, and one point for Unbroken Bonds.  One point Entropy for KOing the Pstar.
  • " Effects that prevent the opponent from playing Item cards during their next turn also prevent Supporter and Stadium cards from being played." Ooof.  Got hit by this in my second game back; with Toad being popular, now's a bad time for this glitch to come up. 1pt Entropy.
  • " Using an attack that returns the attacking Pokémon to the hand does not consistently require a new Active Pokémon to be promoted prior to resolving effects on other cards that trigger as a result of the attack."  Hm.  Haven't seen this one personally, but it sounds bad.  Is it an auto-loss?  I'll give Entropy a point until I get corrected.

Current standings:

Entropy TPCi     

But there's a few more considerations.  The new set contains Dust Island, which I consider to be one of the most revolutionary cards in the past five years- as well as a pokemon who can take good advantage, Muk&Alolan Muk GX.  That gets the Pokemon Company a point in my book.

---But it won't stay a tie. :( I don't see it in the known issues, but I recently had a game where, after playing Guzma to bring up Jirachi, I couldn't retreat it.  (recognizing this sounds like me missing something, I maintain it isn't.  Absol wasn't around and no other red arrows affected me or jirachi, I had the necessary energy attached, and I had not already retreated.  I am certain this is a glitch.) This did lost me the game and I am a steamy teapot. :angry: I will whistle at you!  Whistle!  Whistle!  Whistle!

XD  final scores:

Entropy TPCi     
4 3

🎈🎉🎊🎈

Yay new emojis.

We have new emojis.

Initially I thought they had gotten rid of the old ones, which I think are so much more tasteful than Apple's or andoids's, or whatever these are.  I was understandably disappointed.  Fortunately, I discovered quickly that they're just hidden on the bottom. :) I suppose it's nice to have a wider variety; the old set had always seemed restrictive.  Though the faces are going to be problematically clashy.  Ah well; we'll all get along all right.

The reputation system has changed.

I don't quite get why we need both hearts and thumbs-up, you know?  True, they're not exactly the same, but I would have thought if we were going to have different ones they may as well have been completely different.  One for, 'this made me laugh'; one for, 'I agree with this concept.'  It will do, I suppose, but it's very inelegant.

Now up & downvotes don't cancel.  This means two things- one, old downvotes (or up) will haunt a post forever and two, you can no longer erase the opinions of others.  These have their pluses and minuses. https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/hgss-series/hsp/HGSS17/

It means that negativity cannot be eschewed, which is annoying and probably objectively bad.  It means that no one can override anyone else which is good.  Unfortunately, this also means that it becomes a minor contest between supporters and dissenters, especially with increased downvoting ability.  I don't like it.

Now- increased downvoting ability.  This seems to be the main thing we're standing up about.  I've always thought that having just one downvote was restrictive, though of course I rarely wanted to use more.  Most days (like most people) I didn't use my one.  But opening it up by an order of magnitude seems quite imprudent to me.  I also think that if the number of possible reactions has increased, the number of allowed reactions should as well.  So I suppose that I agree with the popular idea that this should be changed immediately.  I will elaborate on my thoughts in the Thread Which to Jack said Hello.

We also have this silly new "win the day" thing, and- don't have friends?!?  No!  Oh my goodness...  Well, I suppose it didn't actually do anything, being friends in the forums; it was separate from the game, and it was separate from the main website.  But sheesh...  Don't replace smiling faces with some silly gold trophy indicating I spammed a lot of replies. :( The replacement is a 'follower' system, which I thoroughly disapprove of.  But I suppose, something we all should note is that this all is " Powered by Invision Community." There is, I'm sure, reduced freedom for the poke-programmers within it.  Why they chose to move could be questioned, certainly, but of course we'll never know because the yahoos at TPCi think 'transparency' is a curse word.  I'm not going to get riled over that part, but can we dump this ridiculous days-won count?  It had no conceivable purpose other than artificially inflating/deflating egos, which frankly none of us need provided by our forum service.

There's a new aesthetic.

Um.  Is it just me, or is the new layout kind of... ugly?  It's harsh & hard on the eyes, anyway.  I would suggest making everything that's white a light to medium blue.

I like what they've done with tables.  Much more effective now.  Spoilers are easier, too.  That's a plus.  No new fonts, though- sigh.  I be a font boy.

And importantly, the tabs seem unnecessarily convoluted now.  The browse/activity/leaderboard seems to presume knowing who's gotten the most pluses lately is just as important as what's being discussed, which is silly since the discussion is what they're getting pluses for.  Also, the home page required far more clicks to find content than before.  Steve Jobs would not approve. (Heh.  He originally didn't want the mouse to even have two buttons- just one and a scroll.)

A couple of questions. (edit)

• Does anyone know how to switch from game log to chat log during a match?  It's stuck for me.
  • What is the current viability of Ultra Malamar in standard and Vespiquen in Expanded?
Edited by SuperStone
Because it's what the book said to do.
  • Upvote 5

Yelf59

Great post !

I agree with you. :)

SKBellmore

How do you only have two upvotes on that? Here, take another.

• Upvote 1

harshu
3 hours ago, SKBellmore said:

How do you only have two upvotes on that? Here, take another.

How did you manage to read the post with those censors ? 😮

You got some super human senses or maybe I lack common sense ?

10 hours ago, SuperStone said:

Steve Jobs would not approve. (Heh.  He originally didn't want the mouse to even have two buttons- just one and a scroll.)

Trust me he would have ruined FPS games !

SKBellmore
4 hours ago, harshu said:

How did you manage to read the post with those censors ? 😮

You got some super human senses or maybe I lack common sense ?

Nah, I just have good vision.

Sign in to follow this