Sign in to follow this  
cuzicouldyay

[GAME] General: Mac client failing to update even when connection is not wireless

cuzicouldyay

While the Version 2.64 Known Issues post refers to the Mac client failing to update over wireless connection on newer OSXs, I find that my Mac client fails to update even when using an Ethernet cable with wireless turned off.

The "Refresher" (what the Mac client is seemingly called) stops at 50%, Unpacking, every time I attempt to update to Version 2.64.0. While the initial attempt was on wireless, ever since then I've tried to update while hard-wired only with wi-fi off. It does not seem to be completely hung, as it still responds to my scrolling through the text box on there, and I don't notice a major slowdown on my computer. Neither a restart nor waiting hours while out of the house led to any change from the Unpacking, 50% state. After several minutes of no change, checking the Activity Monitor shows Refresher having a memory usage of about 76.5 MB and 42 threads, with a % CPU in the area of 20-21. While the % CPU actually varies, the memory use is growing quite slowly. Thread count hasn't changed. I'm not sure if this information is of much use to you.

I'm on OSX 10.13.6 (High Sierra).

Attempting to update to Version 2.64.0.

Steven855
Posted (edited)

I have found that when it does that, you have to run the refresher as root user in order for the refresher to function. If you are not computer-savy, I will give you the commands to run. The command to enter in the terminl window is given below

cd "/Applications/The Pokémon Online Trading Card Game/Pokemon Trading Card Game **********************************************************"; sudo ./Refresher

You will notice that once the refresher has finished and you press "play" the game attempt to load and ************************* part of the sudo command, you will be asked for your (admin) password. This is also normal. I have not tried to run this with a standard account on mac os x, but I imagine it would work just fine as long as you got the admin password. I imagine the reason that the refresher doesn't work normally on mac os x is because of (file and directory) permissions issues (this is coming from a software developer).

Edited by Steven855
  • Upvote 1

Steven855
Posted (edited)

Admin, why is the forum not letting me paste the full path for the terminal to get refresher to function properly? I'm trying to help this lady (and possibly others too) out here.

Edited by Steven855

cuzicouldyay

It took me a while to see your responses. And while it took a bit of playing around seeing as it's been several years since I last used Terminal for any real reason (i.e. I got to googling), I got it to work with your info. Thank you so much! And I presume it thinks it's blocking a sketchy link. 😛

Sign in to follow this