AlexGoneCrazy

Versus Rewards

AlexGoneCrazy

I'm sure many players here have played through the One to Three star Versus Rewards quite quickly and then find themselves getting bored with nothing really to work for aside from the daily rewards. What I'd like to see implemented in the game is one of two options; An additional page with rewards (Four Star rewards) or a reduction in time before the Versus Ladder gets reset.

Option 1 Fourth Page with Four rewards to work for

Example: +600 Coins, Two Rare Holo Chests, Six random packs, +Random Full Art

or

One Rare Holo Chest + Two Uncommon Chests, +700 Coins, One Random Trade-able Pack, +Random Full Art

Option 2 time reduction to 15 days instead of the 21 days.

I understand completely this is a free game but minor tweaks like this can bring in players also encourage current players to be active and spend more money on buying packs to get codes.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

SandaledOtter

I vote for expansion from 21 days to a full month. There just isn't time enough to do all the things that need doing in a day, and I'm rarely able to finish even the second page.

• Upvote 5

WingsofFire1014

Most people don't have as much time to complete the ladder. It needs to last another 1-2 weeks in my opinion. 

I understand that some people are not busy and that they have plenty of time to complete the ladder. When you do finish it really quickly, just go play another game or something.

We have to consider everyone's availability because most people can not finish it as quick as some of us do.

The majority probably favors an expansion in the time to complete the ladder.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

XK920XK

i have to agree with the 2 post above me, to some players you may have a lot of time and can spam games and fly through the ladder quickly. But for most players you are limited in the amount of time you have to play this game and its difficult as it is already to finish the ladder in 21 days. You also have to keep in mind, the ladder has a hidden elo, for players who are high up on the elo rating, its very hard for those players to keep long consistent win streaks to get through the ladder quickly.

what i had suggested in the past was, having multiple branches of the ladder rewards. for example, once you finish the 1st star you get to choose between 2 different ladders for 2nd star. One can be the same as it is currently, another can be a more coin focus one or card focused one or format focused (so players prefer expanded over standard and they get to choose). With this in mind, lets say someone who has finished the ladder, they can go back and finish the other branches of ladder they skip earlier.

Of course these ideas probably will never get implemented as it requires new scripts/codes to be created and tested and these kind of things takes lots of work (which is understandable).

But all in all, the way it is set up right now, its working fine, its not like that many players even finish the ladder. As far as im aware since ive been taking a look at the ladder stats, less then 1 percent of players even finish it on average, the only time i ever saw it higher was then full art N was on ladder and at the time that card was worth like 60-70 gr packs.

• Upvote 1

AlexGoneCrazy
3 hours ago, WingsofFire1014 said:

Most people don't have as much time to complete the ladder. It needs to last another 1-2 weeks in my opinion. 

I understand that some people are not busy and that they have plenty of time to complete the ladder. When you do finish it really quickly, just go play another game or something.

We have to consider everyone's availability because most people can not finish it as quick as some of us do.

The majority probably favors an expansion in the time to complete the ladder.

I only play this game for about an hour a day and sometimes not even an hour yet still end up finishing the ladder with a week or more to spare. I do play other games you swear im some little gremlin hiding under my pc with Cheeto crumbs on my face with the shakes and banging my head on my desk waiting for another match to start for 6 hrs straight. No i hide under my ps4/xbox with dried ramen on my chin. 

On another note i had TWO suggestions and everyone seems to be focusing on the shortened time based one.

• Downvote 5

AlexGoneCrazy

Obviously if time is your enemy to the ones upset i even mentioned time in my OP there was a second siggestion there for people like me who can finish the ladder. More rewards for an additional page. It wont affect you negatively if you cant pass the second page anyway but it would benefit others. 

• Upvote 3

WingsofFire1014
6 hours ago, AlexGoneCrazy said:

I only play this game for about an hour a day and sometimes not even an hour yet still end up finishing the ladder with a week or more to spare. I do play other games you swear im some little gremlin hiding under my pc with Cheeto crumbs on my face with the shakes and banging my head on my desk waiting for another match to start for 6 hrs straight. No i hide under my ps4/xbox with dried ramen on my chin. 

On another note i had TWO suggestions and everyone seems to be focusing on the shortened time based one.

I clearly stated that SOME people are not busy and have plenty of time to complete the ladder.

Like XK920XK adding a fourth "star" plus some random rewards would require a lot of coding. She was focusing on your idea.

This idea has been suggested a couple of times before and it has not been added yet. So, the development team most likely has a good reason why NOT to add this.

DonZaloog95
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, WingsofFire1014 said:

This idea has been suggested a couple of times before and it has not been added yet. So, the development team most likely has a good reason why NOT to add this.

Well, it doesn't cost anything to try still ;) In some games the additions may be added slowly, but I think showing that there is continuous interest for them is necessary. 

I think that having additional rewards for those who are enthusiastic about the game wouldn't take away anything from those who don't have the time to play the game. Instead giving the players who want to complete the 4th page more things to do should theoretically mean there are more players playing the game actively towards the end of the season, which would benefit the game as a whole.

Then again the rewards included on that 4th page is another beast and I don't really have any opinions on that matter. I think I would go with something like XK920XK proposed.

I think the main reason why player proposed changes only rarely get added is, that there aren't too much resources free (bug fixes are and should be top priority). But if there is any little hope they may some day add something players have suggested, I think it's worth creating threads like this.:)

Edited by DonZaloog95
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

WingsofFire1014
2 hours ago, DonZaloog95 said:

Well, it doesn't cost anything to try still ;) In some games the additions may be added slowly, but I think showing that there is continuous interest for them is necessary. 

I think that having additional rewards for those who are enthusiastic about the game wouldn't take away anything from those who don't have the time to play the game. Instead giving the players who want to complete the 4th page more things to do should theoretically mean there are more players playing the game actively towards the end of the season, which would benefit the game as a whole.

Then again the rewards included on that 4th page is another beast and I don't really have any opinions on that matter. I think I would go with something like XK920XK proposed.

I think the main reason why player proposed changes only rarely get added is, that there aren't too much resources free (bug fixes are and should be top priority). But if there is any little hope they may some day add something players have suggested, I think it's worth creating threads like this.:)

Very good answer

AlexGoneCrazy
2 hours ago, DonZaloog95 said:

Then again the rewards included on that 4th page is another beast and I don't really have any opinions on that matter. I think I would go with something like XK920XK proposed.

Making threads like these tend to be taboo in this community honestly. The current player base doesn't seem to like changes especially big ones which is understandable in some cases. As for my hypothetical fourth page it'd be easier to code than XK920XK's proposal although her proposal does sound interesting and I wouldn't be opposed to either. 

You are right this game has minimal resources at hand but I believe in their ability to listen to the community and deliver (and most likely further down the road if they like the idea) because the Pokemon team have listened to their community before. If feedback wasn't encouraged then this sub-forum wouldn't exist or shouildn't exist if they really don't care.

I agree it is worth creating threads like this as I love reading other peoples ideas regardless of what it is, because maybe their ideas can make the game more exciting. For instance the player who suggested better animations (another taboo subject apparently) which honestly if handled with care can be an amazing new feat. Players are more prone to play flashy games as opposed to something that looks like solitaire and Pokemon should be a flashy type of game because the Anime is.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Sakura150612

Just to be clear, there are no "taboo" subjects. You're free to open any thread you see fit as long as it's on topic (both of your supposedly "taboo" subjects are considered on topic and thus are fair game for discussion).

The fact that the forums community has a mostly uniform opinion on some specific subjects (such as the idea of new animations) is an entirely different story. You're bound to meet some opposition when your oppinion differs from the majority, that much should be a foregone conclusion. But that by no means makes the subject in question a taboo.

I also beg to differ on this (although I'll admit beforehand that this is mostly otaku OCD nitpicking):

1 hour ago, AlexGoneCrazy said:

Pokemon should be a flashy type of game because the Anime is.

1) The Pokemon Anime isn't flashy. One Punch Man S1's level of sakuga is what I'd call flashy. Pokemon's animation is nice but it's nothing special.

2) If the origin is a valid argument, Pokemon did not originate from the anime. Before it was an anime, Pokemon was a videogame; you know, the original Gen 1 games. I don't think I need to tell you, but there was absolutely nothing flashy about those, but people still love them even to this day. Goes to showing you how much you can accomplish with extremely limited resources.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Otakutron
20 hours ago, AlexGoneCrazy said:

Your second suggestion isn't functionally different from the first from the perspective of folks who can't dedicate as much time to this game as you do or are not as skilled.

Solutions You Can Implement

• Play more with friends once the 3-Week Rewards Ladder is complete
  • Grind the 3-Week Rewards Ladder using a slower deck
  • Grind the 3-Week Rewards Ladder using a less competitive deck

Suggestions for the Development Team (That don't make things worse for less skilled players)

Revise the 3-Week Rewards Ladder so that, similar to the Daily Rewards Ladder, it never truly ends.  To minimize what must be changed, instead of having a "final reward" you can earn over and over again (the way the Daily Reward Ladder works), just award a bonus based on how many Victory Points (or whatever they are called) are earned in excess of what is required for the Ladder.

For example: If I remember correctly, players currently earn the final 3-Week Rewards Ladder prize of a Full Art at 2000 Victory Points.  Make it so that for every Victory Point past 2000 you have at the end of the 3-Week Reward Ladder, you'll receive a bonus Token.  Someone who rushes through the 3-Week Reward Ladder and finishes with 3210 Victory Points would receive 1210 Tokens once that 3-Week Reward Ladder ends and the new one begins.  If that sounds too generous or stingy, adjust accordingly.

SaucyMouse
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Otakutron said:

Your second suggestion isn't functionally different from the first from the perspective of folks who can't dedicate as much time to this game as you do or are not as skilled.

This shouldn't be anyone's problem but their own. Why should people who happen to finish a challenge before hand be troubled with waiting for the rest of the group to catch up?  It would not bother me any nor does it take anything away from me or others if someone else can complete their own challenges that we personally don't have the time to complete ourselves. If Alex or any other trainer who has the time to complete the challenge and continue with a higher tier reward why should we dictate them or stop them from doing so? Can this community be more united instead of divided for once and not just think of themselves?

If you don't like other people getting ahead then maybe work harder for the rewards. And for those other trainers ********** as skilled maybe they should look for pointers on how to improve or just continue to use codes to obtain their cards. Practice makes perfect.

*edit I dont know why that got censored but the stars should say "who are not"

Edited by SaucyMouse
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

SaucyMouse
1 hour ago, Sakura150612 said:

1) The Pokemon Anime isn't flashy. One Punch Man S1's level of sakuga is what I'd call flashy. Pokemon's animation is nice but it's nothing special.

Definition - Flashy: ostentatiously attractive or impressive.

The anime is definitely flashy as the Pokemon are drawn to impress. It may not be as "flashy" as One Punch Man but it is flashy none the less. Your opinion on the matter is yours alone and his is his regardless they don't debunk each other.  On that note the game deserves an overhaul in the animation department.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Sakura150612
14 minutes ago, SaucyMouse said:

Definition - Flashy: ostentatiously attractive or impressive.

The anime is definitely flashy as the Pokemon are drawn to impress. It may not be as "flashy" as One Punch Man but it is flashy none the less. Your opinion on the matter is yours alone and his is his regardless they don't debunk each other.  On that note the game deserves an overhaul in the animation department.

Have I ever claimed that this was anything other than my own opinion? I even dropped the disclaimer that this was just me nitpicking. Geez...

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

SaucyMouse
2 minutes ago, Sakura150612 said:

Have I ever claimed that this was anything other than my own opinion? I even dropped the disclaimer that this was just me nitpicking. Geez...

You said "otaku OCD nitpicking" which I assumed you were talking about Otakutron who responded after you. The disclaimer wasn't clear thanks to his name and response following yours. Just assumed you both were in cahoots with each other I apologize.

• Upvote 1

Otakutron
Posted (edited)

As it has come up thanks to @SaucyMouse I'll address why, when making these kinds of suggestions, you should consider the entire player base.

1. Because the Dev Team certainly has to! XD
  2. If you don't care about others, why should others care about you?

The Dev Team has to worry about overwhelming and frustrating players by showing them stuff they can't have as they aren't skilled enough to finish the current 3-Week Reward Ladder with the time they have available for playing.  Because they know this is a "turn off" for players, based on some generally understood aspects of human psychologies.  We don't like failing to finish things and we don't like seeing stuff we technically could have but know we actually won't.  You can think poorly of people for that but it won't change the reality, which the Dev Team has to consider.  That is why they worked so hard to craft the current system.

Edited by Otakutron
Because I misppelled "off", then tripped the censor in the "Reason for edit" box @_@
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

TheBlackxRanger
3 hours ago, Otakutron said:

Solutions You Can Implement

• Play more with friends once the 3-Week Rewards Ladder is complete
  • Grind the 3-Week Rewards Ladder using a slower deck
  • Grind the 3-Week Rewards Ladder using a less competitive deck

Suggestions for the Development Team (That don't make things worse for less skilled players)

Revise the 3-Week Rewards Ladder so that, similar to the Daily Rewards Ladder, it never truly ends.  To minimize what must be changed, instead of having a "final reward" you can earn over and over again (the way the Daily Reward Ladder works), just award a bonus based on how many Victory Points (or whatever they are called) are earned in excess of what is required for the Ladder.

For example: If I remember correctly, players currently earn the final 3-Week Rewards Ladder prize of a Full Art at 2000 Victory Points.  Make it so that for every Victory Point past 2000 you have at the end of the 3-Week Reward Ladder, you'll receive a bonus Token.  Someone who rushes through the 3-Week Reward Ladder and finishes with 3210 Victory Points would receive 1210 Tokens once that 3-Week Reward Ladder ends and the new one begins.  If that sounds too generous or stingy, adjust accordingly.

Incentives for being a super star after finishing ladder with 2k points would be great. Sometimes I can just breeze through ladder, and have 2 weeks left. Sure Ill just play for the daily rewards, it'll give me time to play other games or the paper game. Most times i struggle to even make it to tier 3, whether it be a time issue or the lack of drive to keep grinding away.

Shortening the time to complete tier 3 would do more harm. Adding a Tier 4 would be a cool idea, or even rewarding players who go above and beyond. Or maybe an "Elite" Bracket where you can earn extra rewards?

Side question. ELO exists, but is it based on your performance or the cards you are using? If i use Reshizard, i get matched up with similar decks 9/10 times. If i switch to a completely random deck, i get matched with a mirror or similar type deck! It would be more fun if the match ups were completely random, but I understand newer players dont want to be matched with Meta decks all the time

Thoughts or concerns?

• Upvote 2

Sakura150612
39 minutes ago, TheBlackxRanger said:

Side question. ELO exists, but is it based on your performance or the cards you are using? If i use Reshizard, i get matched up with similar decks 9/10 times. If i switch to a completely random deck, i get matched with a mirror or similar type deck! It would be more fun if the match ups were completely random, but I understand newer players dont want to be matched with Meta decks all the time

MMR is based solely on performance. In fact, if you use a garbage deck on purpose (such as a no energy deck that's only meant to complete the evolving 10 Pokemon daily challenge) you can still get the "advantage" symbol on your side.

The AI is severely lacking in the "I" department anyways, so it can't objectively tell which player has the better deck.

That said, you could say there is a connection between the decks you typically use and your MMR, in the sense that you will naturally perform better by using better decks and thus your MMR will tend to raise. If you decide to use a trash deck for one particular game, your MMR will not be calculated as being lower in that game.

SaucyMouse
2 hours ago, Otakutron said:

As it has come up thanks to @SaucyMouse I'll address why, when making these kinds of suggestions, you should consider the entire player base.

1. Because the Dev Team certainly has to! XD
  2. If you don't care about others, why should others care about you?

The Dev Team has to worry about overwhelming and frustrating players by showing them stuff they can't have as they aren't skilled enough to finish the current 3-Week Reward Ladder with the time they have available for playing.  Because they know this is a "turn off" for players, based on some generally understood aspects of human psychologies.  We don't like failing to finish things and we don't like seeing stuff we technically could have but know we actually won't.  You can think poorly of people for that but it won't change the reality, which the Dev Team has to consider.  That is why they worked so hard to craft the current system.

"We have to think about the entire player base"

Apparently everyone except people who want changes that benefit more than a small percentage of trainers.

"If you don't care about others, why should others care about you?"

I don't finish the ladder in time and even I think it's a good change for those who do finish it. If I didn't care about the player base in total I'd be making ridiculous requests like "lets extend the vs ladder to 3 months because I'm too slow and can't be bothered with finishing it." If a trainer has the time to finish or has a decent deck that can get them to the finish line he/she should not be punished to wait for the Slowpokes or Slowbros to catch up. It's also a turn off for players to wait in a lobby for 2 weeks until a game resets for a new season of rewards.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

RobRatt

As someone who crawls the VS Ladder mainly for Event Tickets, I would personally like to see more tickets, no matter how they might restructure it.  Adding a 4th Tier, I can see, but I can't imagine that many players would get that far.   Grind, grind, grind.  Way too boring for this cowboy.

But if the Dev Team is going to rework the VS Ladder, I'd appreciate if they could make the entire game more interactive with other players.  Maybe tie in achievements and progress with a Trophy Page that others can see?  ...Figure out a way to engage at least our friends?  ...Or improve the Canned Chat, so that we're not just playing against human bots who concede the first moment they're losing?  We all want a rewarding and fun game, but somehow the current system seems to be missing that personal connection.  That should be their focus IMHO.

"Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it."

-- Soren Kierkegaard

• Upvote 2

SKBellmore

As the guy who spends 4 hours grinding after his self-set curfew just to get an FA trainer every 3 weeks, I want it to stay how it is. I barely finish it, and to the people who do with lots of time left, Congrats. (No, seriously, no sarcasm here)

@SaucyMouse we have divided opinions, and everyone has to acknowledge that.

This might be a bad idea but maybe you can spend time from a following ladder working on the current one, but lose time on the other one?

• Upvote 1

SaucyMouse
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, SKBellmore said:

This might be a bad idea but maybe you can spend time from a following ladder working on the current one, but lose time on the other one?

I'm a person who doesn't find ideas bad unless it slows people down so if your idea doesn't slow down the person ahead of you then it can work, but maybe a compromise between a few ideas @RobRatt @AlexGoneCrazyand yours @SKBellmore

Perhaps a 4 tier ladder that doesn't expire until you finish it and for those who are ahead just roll over into a new reset automatically and tone down the rewards from each versus ladder so it's not game breaking. Take out some free packs and replace it with coins and event tickets

Edited by SaucyMouse
  • Downvote 1

kodking

heres an idea, make it longer but add an option where the games asks u if u would like to go to a 4 star rank, where u can fight to get more prizes, while adding an extra week or so, honestly i do finish it too fast

• Upvote 1