3. Zapdos 

4. PikaRom: Still? Standing Strong

5. Fire: The Flat Tire

6. Quaganadel’s Flame Control

7. Shedding Ghost

8. Tier List

9. Conclusion

Introduction

Hey there! Today I’ll be recapping Santa Clara Regionals, the first major tournament with Unbroken Bonds being legal for play! Without further ado, let’s start with 

Pollen/Metal Wall Stall (Lucario & Melmetal/Vileplume)

This was really surprising to me. This made very high placings, including 33rd, 27th, 25th, 22nd, 8th, 7th, and even up to 2nd place, just to name a few! This was really powerful IMO because of Full Metal Wall GX and Vileplume’s ability, especially with all the basics around. I can’t wait to see what the future has for this deck.

Fun Fact: 11th Place has a Giovanni Mill/Lucario & Melmetal Deck. What are the odds?

Zapdos

This deck remains stronger than ever, with Zapdos/Buzzwole winning the tournament, and other Zapdos decks placing at 12th and 13th. While this deck doesn’t have many high placings, it is still very good, and it will be interesting to see how it adapts to future tournaments.

PikaRom: Still? Standing Strong

This remains a very strong deck, earning a very respectable 3rd place, but with all the results I have, that was its only appearance in the top 48. Maybe it could just be not a popular choice for this tournament, but will have to see how it stands in Madison and Jonkoping Regionals.

Fire: The Flat Tire

Remember all the Fire hype? “Welder! Fire Crystal! Salazzle! ReshiZard is BDIF!” That was apparently wrong, to many people’s surprise. It’s highest placing was (ReshiZard) was at 5th Place. With Arcanine? The next highest Fire placings was ReshiZard at 16th. Next, Baby Blacephalon/Jirachi at 17th. Then after 19th it goes down to the low 40s, one variant with Shining Lugia. A main reason of its decline IMO is the next deck listed.

Quaganadel’s Flame Control

Quagsire/Naganadel, was as predicted, a very strong counter to Fire Types. This had placings at 4th, 10th and 14th. While other placings were way below these, this is a very strong deck and I look forward to see its continued success.

Shedding Ghost

The final deck I’ll be talking about is Shedinja. Remember Pedro Torres and some other player playing Shedinja at EUIC? While other high skill players are continuing Shedinja’s legacy. We see Azul Garcia Greigo at 9th, Isaiah Williams at 20th, and Jimmy Pendarvis at 24th playing Shedinja/Zebstrika Control. This is an interesting deck, that I look forward to testing on PTCGO. 

Tier List

Tier 1:

Stall

Zapdos

Quaganadel

Tier 2:

ReshiZard

Shedinja

PikaRom

Tier 3: (Decks that were not mentioned)

Zoroark Variants

Weezing

Conclusion

Overall, we saw lots of stall, and mixes of other decks, including new types of Zoroark variants, Quaganadel, and Zapdos still being powerful! Well let’s see how Madison Regionals turn out, and thanks for reading!

Edited by SKBellmore
  • Like 1

RobRatt

Thanks for the detailed breakdown of this tournament, on the same day even.  Very interesting stuff.  Hope it was fun.

Edited by RobRatt
Unnecessary Verbiage

SKBellmore
21 minutes ago, RobRatt said:

Thanks for the detailed breakdown of this tournament, on the same day even.  Very interesting stuff.  Hope it was fun.

P.S.  Not to make much ado (hubbub, flurry, or fuss) about nothing, but it's "without further ado."  :P

Your welcome! I wasn’t there, but I found a website which got the results really fast.

Edited by SKBellmore

RobRatt
18 hours ago, SKBellmore said:

Your welcome! I wasn’t there, but I found a website which got the results really fast.

Not sure where you got these results (which website), but they weren't totally accurate.  Reshiram & Charizard wasn't exactly a "flat tire" at Santa Clara, having taken 1st and 2nd place.

Here are the actual results from Santa Clara, with 470 masters:

1.  Reshiram & Charizard / Volcanion

2.  Reshiram & Charizard

3.  Zapdos

4.  Zapdos

5.  Shedinja Control

6.  Vileplume Stall

7.  Shedinja Control

8.  Pikachu & Zekrom / Zapdos

You can look at the San Paulo Regionals, which was also this last weekend.  It was a little bigger than Santa Clara.

1.  Reshiram & Charizard

2.  Zoroark / Persian / Slowking

3.  Zoroark / Persian / Lycanroc

4.  Zoroark / Persian / Slowking

5.  Zapdos

6.  Reshiram & Charizard / Volcanion

7.  Zoroark / Silvally / Dewgong

8.  Weezing Spread

The "Tier List" above (in the original post) is questionable.  I don't agree that Zoroark Variants are Tier 3 in Standard, with four showings in Top 8?  Or that ReshiZard is Tier 2 after winning both of these Regionals?

The Standard field is still very diverse.  Almost anything is possible.  When playing the meta game, luck and matchups are huge factors.

Edited by RobRatt

SKBellmore
1 hour ago, RobRatt said:

Not sure where you got these results (which website), but they weren't totally accurate.  Reshiram & Charizard wasn't exactly a "flat tire" at Santa Clara, having taken 1st and 2nd place.

Here are the actual results from Santa Clara, with 470 masters:

1.  Reshiram & Charizard / Volcanion

2.  Reshiram & Charizard

3.  Zapdos

4.  Zapdos

5.  Shedinja Control

6.  Vileplume Stall

7.  Shedinja Control

8.  Pikachu & Zekrom / Zapdos

You can look at the San Paulo Regionals, which was also this last weekend.  It was a little bigger than Santa Clara.

1.  Reshiram & Charizard

2.  Zoroark / Persian / Slowking

3.  Zoroark / Persian / Lycanroc

4.  Zoroark / Persian / Slowking

5.  Zapdos

6.  Reshiram & Charizard / Volcanion

7.  Zoroark / Silvally / Dewgong

8.  Weezing Spread

The "Tier List" above (in the original post) is questionable.  I don't agree that Zoroark Variants are Tier 3 in Standard, with four showings in Top 8?  Or that ReshiZard is Tier 2 after winning both of these Regionals?

The Standard field is still very diverse.  Almost anything is possible.  When playing the meta game, luck and matchups are huge factors.

Oh. I guess the website I used was way off.

Mods, please lock this thread, or delete it if possible. 

Mod_Turtle

@SKBellmore Closing thread as requested!