Sign in to follow this  
Bhaleful

[CARD] Lucario UNB

Bhaleful
Posted (edited)

Client: 2.63.0.4316
Card: Lucario UNB
Card Number: Unbroken Bonds #126

Lucario's attack Rush UP does 60 damage base +70 more if you attach a tool to it this turn. So when I do attach a tool and attack, I get the +70 bonus. But when I remove the tool using Magearna's ability (Change Clothes), and attack without it, Rush UP loses the damage bonus. Is it a bug? Or just wording issues?

Edited by Bhaleful

RobRatt

Interesting question.  If you attach a Tool this turn -- then remove it with Magearna's Ability -- will it still count as having attached it?

I have no idea what the official ruling might be.  But it seems that the intent is to have a Tool attached while receiving the "damage bonus."  There's nothing in the rules/addendum that I could find on this issue.

Provided you didn't get knocked out, you could always Attack with the Tool attached.  On the next turn, remove it with Magearna, and then immediately replace it.

Bhaleful
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, RobRatt said:

Interesting question.  If you attach a Tool this turn -- then remove it with Magearna's Ability -- will it still count as having attached it?

I have no idea what the official ruling might be.  But it seems that the intent is to have a Tool attached while receiving the "damage bonus."  There's nothing in the rules/addendum that I could find on this issue.

Provided you didn't get knocked out, you could always Attack with the Tool attached.  On the next turn, remove it with Magearna, and then immediately replace it.

Yea, that's why I'm asking if it's a bug or just a lack of wording. If the intent was to keep the tool attached then the attack should say something like: "if you attach a tool from your hand to this pokemon during this turn and attack while the tool is still on this pokemon, this attack does 70 more damage" or something like that. I dunno how to word it, so there's that. 

I know, that's what I do. But the thing is, lucario has 130 hp lol anything will ko it next turn. so it's pretty useless when the only tool you can play is exp. share.

Edited by Bhaleful

RobRatt
Posted (edited)

I think you're trying to make something happen with this card that isn't going to work.  With Metal Core Barrier, Metal Frying Pan, and Metal Goggles as possible Tools, you should be able to make a good deck, especially with Core Barrier, which gets discarded at the end of your opponent's turn anyway.

Lucario, Rush Up, [M][M] 60+  "If you attached a Pokémon Tool card from your hand to this Pokémon during this turn, this attack does 70 more damage."

In the years I've been playing, I can't recall ever seeing a time when you could "do something," then immediately remove it, and have it count as that action.  It seems obvious that a Tool is meant to be attached during the attack (for the bonus damage), IMHO, and I think the game is playing this properly.

Hopefully someone else will chime in if there's a different consensus.  You could always send in a Support Ticket if you need a definitive answer.

Edited by RobRatt

Bhaleful
Posted (edited)

Well, they are adding new attacks effects one after another so, being a little more specific won't harm anyone.

I am not gonna send ticket since I was just curious about it, if nothing happens then that's alright, it's not like I'm gonna be using this card more than 2-3 days. But I decided to make the post like this in case it was an actual bug. 

Thanks for your replies, though. I guess I am overthinking about something pretty simple. ^_^

Edited by Bhaleful

SandaledOtter
1 hour ago, RobRatt said:

I think you're trying to make something happen with this card that isn't going to work.  With Metal Core Barrier, Metal Frying Pan, and Metal Goggles as possible Tools, you should be able to make a good deck, especially with Core Barrier, which gets discarded at the end of your opponent's turn anyway.

Lucario, Rush Up, [M][M] 60+  "If you attached a Pokémon Tool card from your hand to this Pokémon during this turn, this attack does 70 more damage."

In the years I've been playing, I can't recall ever seeing a time when you could "do something," then immediately remove it, and have it count as that action.  It seems obvious that a Tool is meant to be attached during the attack (for the bonus damage), IMHO, and I think the game is playing this properly.

Hopefully someone else will chime in if there's a different consensus.  You could always send in a Support Ticket if you need a definitive answer.

There haven't many instances where we could see this effect happening, so not seeing it only means something if there is an example. One might be those pokemon which heal when energy is attached. If that energy is removed, they don't un-heal, and if the same energy is attached multiple times (they do all say "from your hand," right?) they would heal each time it is attached, not just once.

There's the counter-example of undoing and redoing when you retreat a pokemon and make it active again, where any "became active this turn" effects are triggered, but we know it has been ruled that it becomes a new pokemon (for most purposes) when it changes zones.

If this is being played correctly by the game, it might take someone challenging the wording in an RL tournament to get an errata/ruling on it.

RobRatt
28 minutes ago, SandaledOtter said:

If this is being played correctly by the game, it might take someone challenging the wording in an RL tournament to get an errata/ruling on it.

^^  That's what I was thinking too.  Either that or a Support Ticket, and hope it gets into the right hands.  I'm pretty sure how an official ruling would come out, but I don't want to be knee-deep in my own opinion.

Chasista
Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2019 at 10:07 PM, Bhaleful said:

Yea, that's why I'm asking if it's a bug or just a lack of wording. If the intent was to keep the tool attached then the attack should say something like: "if you attach a tool from your hand to this pokemon during this turn and attack while the tool is still on this pokemon, this attack does 70 more damage" or something like that. I dunno how to word ****** there's that. 

I know, that's what I do. But the thing is, lucario has 130 hp lol anything will ko it next turn, s  o  it's pretty useless when the only tool you can play is exp. share.

Wording would be: " If this Pokémon has a Pokémon Tool card attached to it from your hand during this turn, this attack does 70 more damage."

I think would be clear enough the pokémon needs to have the pokémon tool card still attached.

Comparison source:

Regirock CES 80: Card

[Fight] Enhanced Stomp: 20+ If this Pokémon has a Pokémon Tool card attached to it, this attack does 20 more damage.

If per the wording I don't think Lucario needs to keep the tool attached to maintain the effect so game would be bugged, but pokémon wording needs a lot of interpretation, rule knowing and jurisprudence to hit the nail 100% of the times. And I'm interested in knowing what they say as official ruling.

Edited by Chasista
Censor is ******** :pp
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this