Sign in to follow this  
SirCharles91

Strategy against Lost March / night march

SirCharles91

So the question is: can a "normal" deck (i mean: not based on item blocking, or pyroar) compete and win against a good night / lost march deck?

I'm actually running a quagsire / naganadel / Ninetales GX deck, and on turn 2 i usually succeed in making at least 50 damage (160 in i have a good first hand), but i think i've never won against a night / lost march deck. 

It's a problem of decks with GX pokemon, or am i missing something?

SKBellmore

I don’t know about Lost March, but play Karen for Night March.

• Upvote 1

WingsofFire1014

Add Enhanced Hammers to your deck. Great for Lost March and Night March since they thrive on the usage of DCE's.

SandaledOtter
7 hours ago, WingsofFire1014 said:

Add Enhanced Hammers to your deck. Great for Lost March and Night March since they thrive on the usage of DCE's.

Enhanced Hammers leave you open to attacks from Jumpluff, which needs just a single grass energy and is going to be there, since it's the primary way to power the attack. So you need those AND a way to remove basic energy.

Felidae_
Posted (edited)

It's a problem of decks with GX pokemon, or am i missing something?

Pretty much this. The problem against both decks is that you can easily fall behind in the price trade, if you only focus on their regular Pokemon.

Against Night March the best way to beat them is an attack from multiple angles. Karen can hit them really hard, so can a well timed N. Focusing their benched Shaymins to stay even in the prize trade, as well as having attacks that hit both the active and the bench are common strategies to beat them.

Enhanced Hammer is another great tool (usually 2 copies are enough), though keep in mind that they are only effective in combination with hand disruption, as it is otherwise to easy for them to get back on track.

Another way to beat them is running Acerola and / or tools that increase your HP, pretty much everything that avoids a OHKO from their side.

In terms of strategy you have to realize that you are going to lose some ground vs Night March early on. This is simply due to the strategy of the attack, that knows only one direction: forward.

Thankfully, once you survived the early blows you should usually have the tools to disrupt them enough before they are able to take the final prize.

Keep in mind that Lt. Surge is now a thing, so you could, in theory, play both N and Karen on the same turn.

Against Lost March similar strategies work. Disrupt their hand and don't be afraid to yield some ground early on. IN my experience Lost March is a bit slower than NM, thus having Max Potion / Acerola can help you recover a lot of tempo in the early game.

Edited by Felidae_

SandaledOtter
9 hours ago, Felidae_ said:

Against Lost March similar strategies work. Disrupt their hand and don't be afraid to yield some ground early on. IN my experience Lost March is a bit slower than NM, thus having Max Potion / Acerola can help you recover a lot of tempo in the early game.

I'd agree it is usually slow. The Lost March deck I use gets a huge speed boost if it can play Elms on turns 1 & 2, but otherwise you need to find, play, and evolve the hoppips to power up, rather than just tossing cards in the discard like Night March does.

I usually try to avoid using the attack if it won't OHKO, though bigger opponents and slowed power-up can force weaker attacks.

Sakura150612

Oricorio is a good tech against NM too. Depending on how the game goes, this thing strikes harder than Karen. Many times you won't even need to waste an energy attachment since you can use your opponent's own Dimension Valley to attack for free.

I mostly just play NM, and Oricorio has singlehandedly won me the mirror matchup many times.

Sign in to follow this