Kanjiji

Ranked Format / Ranking ( saying no to leaderboard )

Kanjiji

Isn't it possible to "finally" bring a ranked format where you can actually start grinding for something instead of having "Leaderboard/VS-Ladder" because grinding daily rewards is not worth enough to keep playing for the day, i'd rather play ranked since you could play the whole month without feeling so empty, i don't want to keep playing for the sake of finishing the VS-Ladder and Daily Rewards and i think that i am actually saying something here that many people would appreciate aswell.

I'm following this game since 2016 but i feel like nothing has changed except the daily reward system and new packs. 

It would just help out the game so much, beginners play on their level, and people who grind and got Tier1 decks kind of play High Ladder Ranked only if Ranked would exist, it would kind of bring a "Player-balancing" into the game.

I really do hope that this might come out in the near future, i've seen one post in 2018 about ranked, but there were no updates about it whatsoever.

I've seen no cons when it comes to bringing Ranked into PTCGO, only pros.

Would be a healthy change.

• Upvote 3

Kanjiji

a little sidenote btw

imagine other cardgames not having a ranked ladder, only casual, those games would die in a week or so because people would see no need to play since all they do is "do their quests" "Daily rewards" etc.

• Upvote 2

WingsofFire1014

I think that this wouldn't be a healthy change.

The VS Ladder can already take long enough to complete it you are not winning. Why do you not want to continue grinding on the VS Ladder? It gives very nice rewards at times.

How is doing the VS Ladder and Daily Rewards not enough for you? They are how you get everything! 

You don't have to constantly have something to do. Every now and then the game can just be about fun.

If you play no decks that are stronger and better built than yours, then how do you learn to get better and tech? I have seen threads like these before. And for beginners, you just have to learn how to grind for wins and glory. It can't all be fair and simple. Every part about the game does not have to be FAIR. Life isn't FAIR. You are not going to win every game.

What's next, someone asking for a way to not have to go up against their decks weaknesses!?

• Upvote 1

SKBellmore
54 minutes ago, WingsofFire1014 said:

The VS Ladder can already take long enough to complete it you are not winning. Why do you not want to continue grinding on the VS Ladder? It gives very nice rewards at times.

How is doing the VS Ladder and Daily Rewards not enough for you? They are how you get everything! 

You don't have to constantly have something to do. Every now and then the game can just be about fun.

If you play no decks that are stronger and better built than yours, then how do you learn to get better and tech? I have seen threads like these before. And for beginners, you just have to learn how to grind for wins and glory. It can't all be fair and simple. Every part about the game does not have to be FAIR. Life isn't FAIR. You are not going to win every game.

What's next, someone asking for a way to not have to go up against their decks weaknesses!?

This. Definitely this.

8 hours ago, Kanjiji said:

Isn't it possible to "finally" bring a ranked format where you can actually start grinding for something instead of having "Leaderboard/VS-Ladder" because grinding daily rewards is not worth enough to keep playing for the day, i'd rather play ranked since you could play the whole month without feeling so empty, i don't want to keep playing for the sake of finishing the VS-Ladder and Daily Rewards and i think that i am actually saying something here that many people would appreciate aswell.

I admit, sometimes I put my iPad down because I don’t feel like playing anymore, but playing against better players is how you become better, especially by learning from them. Here’s an example.

You: That Thunder Mountain is really annoying, because I can’t get rid of it with Field Blower.

*Plays a match against someone using UNB Marshadow, which gets rid of your Heat Factory*

You: Oh, that looks like it's effective against Thunder Mountain. I’ll switch Marshadow in for Field Blower.

8 hours ago, Kanjiji said:

It would just help out the game so much, beginners play on their level, and people who grind and got Tier1 decks kind of play High Ladder Ranked only if Ranked would exist, it would kind of bring a "Player-balancing" into the game.

I don’t know if you know this, but matchups are determined by a hidden ELO, so in a way, people do play on their level.

TL:DR You learn from more experienced players. Eventually you’ll become just as good as them, and you’ll be knowing these same things that me and @WingsofFire1014 know.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Kanjiji
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, WingsofFire1014 said:

I mean if you have already finished the VS Ladders, what's the point in trying to play the game much? im not crying about the rewards, nor am i crying how you get cards, all im saying is that Ranked would give this game 100x more flavour to it because people ( probably more than just me ) already finished the ladder 15  days earlier and all you can do is grind daily rewards, 

In my opinion i see no reward in playing this game daily just for the rewards, i wan't something to be proud of, nearly all games have Ranked, why not ptcgo

- i stated that i play since 2016 so im not a newbie

- never complained about what im playing against. just saying

Edited by Kanjiji

WingsofFire1014

Either you can find a new game to play til the VS Ladder resets, or you can stop completing it so quickly. Span it out into the 3 WEEKS that you have.

All rankings would do in my opinion, is turn this game into fortnite, get kids to cry (because they aren't high enough), and make people addicted to this game also because they aren't all high in the rankings. We don't need another Fortnite. This game is just a simulator. It doesn't have to be like everything else. PTCGO is unique and I think that we should all be happy with what they have provided for us. This game helps people practice for real life events as well.

Let's leave rankings to the real life tournaments, and let this game be a fun way to test, play with friends and just have fun in general.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Kanjiji

How are you even comparing this game to fortnite, and with my knowledge about this ****-game called "Fortnite" is that it aswell doesn't have any ranked, so what are you trying to point out?

Not even gonna lie, comparison between Fortnite and this game is not possible in my eyes both are extremely different games and you compared ptcgo to a non-existent ranking system.

Having fun in general is what i'd like to have, but tbh it feels like a "testing out decks" platform only, 

I just think with ranks there would be no "empty" feeling when playing this game or it would actually make it feel like you are playing FOR something.

TLDR: Game has no goal, collecting cards shouldn't be the only things you should be able to play for.

If people would play ranked it would make them play more without feeling empty, and people that don't like ranked should just keep playing VS-Ladder or if Ranked would exist just "Casual" mode like the current system.

Why not have Ranked and Casual like in Hearthstone, it wouldn't change much for the casual players ( casual as in "Players who don't care about ranks" )

• Downvote 1

Felidae_

I'm tired to repeat it again and again, but the demand for rank keeps on coming and maybe we'll get the developers to implement it.

Heck, at this point just revealing the hidden ELO would be enough in my books.

Ranked works in every other TCG/CCG.

It works for beginners, for Pros and for the millions in between.

There are zero valid arguments why a rank mode would be a bad idea in PTCGO and everyone who honestly thinks otherwise has either never played another (better) TCG/CCG, or is oblivious to the fact that rewards can be changed and adapted to a new mode.

• Upvote 3

WingsofFire1014
Posted (edited)

Whoops. Messed up there on Fortnite. You got me there.

Collecting cards and using them in decks is the point of the game. If you want rewards, then go play physically and win yourself some packs or even some money if you get to a higher level competitively. You can even play for packs and "money" in the events in the game.

This game has no true goal in general.That is just how the game was designed.

A ranking system could work and I see your point why, but I prefer the VS Ladder and the Daily Challenges.

Go play Super Mario and beat Bowser and save Princess Peach if you want a game with a goal.

Edited by WingsofFire1014
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

WingsofFire1014
8 minutes ago, Felidae_ said:

I'm tired to repeat it again and again, but the demand for rank keeps on coming and maybe we'll get the developers to implement it.

Heck, at this point just revealing the hidden ELO would be enough in my books.

Ranked works in every other TCG/CCG.

It works for beginners, for Pros and for the millions in between.

There are zero valid arguments why a rank mode would be a bad idea in PTCGO and everyone who honestly thinks otherwise has either never played another (better) TCG/CCG, or is oblivious to the fact that rewards can be changed and adapted to a new mode.

But how? Maybe I am oblivious and I apologize for frustrating people. I was being toxic.

• Downvote 1

coranhorn

I for one want to see a ranked format. I would like to see where I stand in comparison to other players. I’ve got a couple decent decks and I feel like I win as much as I loose but it would be nice to know if I’m beating someone with a higher rank or close to my level or am I only beating noobs. Plus it’s bragging rights as well. 

• Upvote 1

SandaledOtter
4 hours ago, coranhorn said:

...but it would be nice to know if I’m beating someone with a higher rank or close to my level or am I only beating noobs. Plus it’s bragging rights as well. 

THAT part you already know. It's what the "Advantage" badge means at the start of a match.

• If levels are close, there is no badge
  • If you are of significantly lower level, your opponent has advantage
  • If you are of significantly higher level, you have advantage
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Toklopo
Posted (edited)

Love how most people in this thread completely missed OP's point and started treating him as a noob and downvoted his completely valid arguements lol. PTCGO forums, never change.

A visible ranked ladder is basically a given in every competitive online game. PTCGO does have some sort of obscure ranking but I have no idea why it has to be hidden. Apart from the very informative "advantage" tag.

Spoiler: The leaderboards are a joke, they only show who grinded the most.

Edited by Toklopo
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Kanjiji
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Toklopo said:

Love how most people in this thread completely missed OP's point and started treating him as a noob lol. A visible ranked ladder is basically a given in every competitive online game. PTCGO does have some sort of obscure ranking but I have no idea why it has to be hidden.

Spoiler: The leaderboards are a joke, they only show who grinded the most.

Thank god,

someone who got it : >

Edited by Kanjiji
  • Downvote 1

Sniperi96
Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, WingsofFire1014 said:

Whoops. Messed up there on Fortnite. You got me there.

Collecting cards and using them in decks is the point of the game. If you want rewards, then go play physically and win yourself some packs or even some money if you get to a higher level competitively. You can even play for packs and "money" in the events in the game.

This game has no true goal in general.That is just how the game was designed.

A ranking system could work and I see your point why, but I prefer the VS Ladder and the Daily Challenges.

You do realize that either a)many online players don't necessarily want to spend 50 dollars per reshiram & charizard, 19 dollars per jirachi, 8 dollars per fiery flint and so on just to compete and b)many players don't even have chance to play the game physically due to living in small towns etc, right? The digital cards games all have advantage that they can be played anywhere, you always find someone to play with and you don't necessarily even need to pay anything to compete. Herthstone has found formula that works for both casual and competitive players, I don't see any reason why this couldn't work with PTCGO.

I think Kanjiji and Felidae_  brought up very valid points and I fully agree with them. Just because you prefer vs rewards and daily challenges doesn't mean it's public opinion. For me the vs rewards and daily challenges only give coins and tournament tickets because everything else I can get from trading with ease, but obviously that's not public opinion, it's just my personal perception, nothing more, nothing less.

22 hours ago, WingsofFire1014 said:

Go play Super Mario and beat Bowser and save Princess Peach if you want a game with a goal.

Geez...

Edited by Sniperi96
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

WingsofFire1014

Hey, I said I was sorry! I was being rude.

He does have a point. I can now see the reasons why a ranking system would work! 

Sniperi96
2 minutes ago, WingsofFire1014 said:

He does have a point. I can now see the reasons why a ranking system would work! 

Well that's nice to hear now. 

• Downvote 2

WingsofFire1014
33 minutes ago, Sniperi96 said:

Well that's nice to hear now. 

I had mentioned it earlier but...

I am truly sorry to everyone and you kanjiji.

• Upvote 2

Kanjiji
21 minutes ago, WingsofFire1014 said:

I am truly sorry to everyone and you kanjiji.

I don't mind,

in the end you were sorry which just erases the toxicity so all good

• Upvote 1

SKBellmore
3 hours ago, Kanjiji said:

I don't mind,

in the end you were sorry which just erases the toxicity so all good

Yeah, I’m sorry too. I think I was being too agressive.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

RobRatt
4 hours ago, WingsofFire1014 said:

I am truly sorry to everyone.

42 minutes ago, SKBellmore said:

Yeah, I’m sorry too. I think I was being too agressive.

Both of you guys are friendly, helpful, and valued members in this community.  If you're NOT getting "negative votes" at times, then you're just trying to say what others WANT to hear, and be pleasant ALL THE TIME, which is much worse.  It's okay to be human on occasion.

And we already know that TPCi is (probably) not going to implement a Ranked system, and get rid of VS Ladder.  Unlike other online card games, PTCGO caters to the youngest children, as well as the guys who are old enough to spend money on booster packs.

Personally, I have no objection.  It might be a fun addition.  Yet, it's silly to carry this recommendation too far (downvoting others just because they don't agree 100%).  Does anyone think TPCi is going to do it differently because players are upvoting each other?  Make your suggestion, hope they read and adopt it, and then move along.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Sniperi96
5 hours ago, RobRatt said:

Yet, it's silly to carry this recommendation too far (downvoting others just because they don't agree 100%).

On 16. toukokuuta 2019 at 12:23 AM, WingsofFire1014 said:

And before anyone of you pull "but he apologized, no reason to downvote", it didn't work with waldo, it shouldn't work here. 

• Downvote 5

SKBellmore
3 hours ago, Sniperi96 said:

And before anyone of you pull "but he apologized, no reason to downvote", it didn't work with waldo, it shouldn't work here. 

So, what I’m getting is that since your apology didn’t work, no one else’s should?

• Upvote 1

Sakura150612
Posted (edited)

Hasn't this gone on for long enough? Come on guys, wipe the slate clean and move on xd

Just focus on discussing about the possibility of a ranked mode and what you'd like to see on one if it came to be implemented. That'll be more productive than getting hung up on who downvoted who and why.

Edited by Sakura150612

Sniperi96
35 minutes ago, SKBellmore said:

So, what I’m getting is that since your apology didn’t work, no one else’s should?

What is making me then the special case? I don't judge people on what they have said in the past, I only check what they are writing in the thread I'm reading.  And I won't start to change my votes/posts written after they have stated that they were wrong. Yes, there was a line :

"But how? Maybe I am oblivious and I apologize for frustrating people. I was being toxic. "

And I really believe the apology was genuine. But I believe if one wants to be at least slightly believable in their argumentation, and I genuinely just wanted to point out these things so all parties can learn, they simply can't use sentences like " Go play Super Mario and beat Bowser and save Princess Peach if you want a game with a goal."

ps.If you are going and downvoting my previous posts, basing on the things I stated in this thread, you have all the rights do so.  I couldn't care less.

• Downvote 4