GrewupGeek

Detective Pikachu-What's the Verdict?

GrewupGeek

Hey everyone, just got back from the theater, and seen the Detective Pikachu movie, along with got my cards.  My questions are, what did you think of it?  Is it something that would encourage you to see more Live Pokemon movies?  What was the other card you got in your pack, since there is a Detective Pikachu card in all of them?  Since there is a sequel in the works, is there anything you would like to see happen in it?

Basically share your experience without spoiling too much.

As for me, I enjoyed it.  How they were able to make the Pokemon World come to life where I wish was there, or that Pokemon Go would be some kind of portal to there.  When it comes to the sequel, would like to see how they could bring Mega Evolution to life.  And the card I got was a Charmander.

kodking

i have not seen the movie but i have been trying to find out what ever i canbefore i see it so i understand the most of it and wont have to rewtach it to refigure out things and wait months till it is released on disc, also i was never told a sequel would come out, is there like a cut scene at the end or what, i would love to see mega evolution, Z crystals and alolan pokemon it the movie

SKBellmore

I’m going to see it next weekend. After seeing the trailers I’m really excited.

GrewupGeek
7 hours ago, kodking said:

i have not seen the movie but i have been trying to find out what ever i canbefore i see it so i understand the most of it and wont have to rewtach it to refigure out things and wait months till it is released on disc, also i was never told a sequel would come out, is there like a cut scene at the end or what, i would love to see mega evolution, Z crystals and alolan pokemon it the movie

It's mentioned in news articles that they already planned a sequel even after they finished, and considering how well opening night has done, Legendary is probably getting started on it, along with preparing for the Red and Blue movie.

And for the best description for Detective Pikachu without spoiling anything, while it pays it's respects to the games and the anime, even the cards and maybe the manga, but it's more of an introduction to a whole new kind of canon.

kodking

yeah the only thing that remotly ties it to the series with ash in is the jiggly puff, but i just think thats an easter egg

GrewupGeek

Well, if you haven't seen the movie yet, then see it at your convenience.  You might be surprised on some things.

Mod_Alder

I thought the movie was great, and I was really impressed at how much they captured the spirit of Pokémon while making an original story. 

SKBellmore

I liked it because it shows a revelation. Of which character I will not say cause I don’t spoil.

Mod_Jynthu

I really enjoyed the movie! I thought the representations were great, and I loved getting a glimpse of all the background details that you don't necessarily get when watching the anime or playing the games. I definitely want to see it again!

Mod_Poplar

Hey Trainers!

I'm a little late to the party, but I finally got to see Detective Pikachu over the weekend and have to say, it was so much fun! I was expecting the fun and the intrigue, but there were some super heartwarming moments too. I feel like I need to rewatch it to catch all of the Pokémon in the background scenes.

Spoiler

Audino was super adorable and fitting for a newscaster!

RestlessThought

I wanna know which of the movie creators favorite Pokemon is Loudred? Because wow there were so many of them in the movie. XD Was there even a Whismur or Exploud in the movie? IDK but there were like a hundred Loudred.

offline_play

I think that was just a byproduct of both pokemon world logic, and real world neccesities. Real world in the sense that at large/loud events, you need loudspeakers to be sure everyone can hear, Pokémon logic in that, in place of an extensive, expensive loudspeaker system, just use pokemon equipped to do what a speaker system does. And Loudred, I see as this-Needs to be louder than a Whismur(which are kinda emotionally unstable, anyway), but not loud to extremes, like an Exploud would be.

TL;DR

Loudred is the perfect replacement for a speaker system, that's probably why there are so many.

kodking

there are quite a few easter eggs in the movie. i saw one that gives away the fact that this movie is not in the same univeres as the ash pokemon series but is like a parallel version. 

GrewupGeek

The movie is meant to start a whole new universe, the Pokemon Cinematic Universe.  Where there is no real connection to either the games, anime, or even the manga.  Detective Pikachu is going to become the base of it all, where the Red and Blue movie is going to continue off of it, along with the movie sequel for it.

kodking

um no, i found 3 easter eggs that state it is in some way like the pokemon universe with ash in, if u want me to confirm this @GrewupGeek then it will contain spoilers. one is very big, as i csn not go over and rewatch the movie until it is released on dvd i can not 100% confirm it. but one was the singing jiggly puff. i am saying this could be like a alternate universe. in a recent sun and moon episode where ash travels to a new dimension  and encounter guzzlord ash learns of different dimensions and worlds. most likely where ultra beast come from.

GrewupGeek

No, the movie is designed to give off a universe that is completely different from the anime.  Yes it references to the anime with a few bits, but at the same time, it's still separate from the anime.  Yet if the sequel, or any of the future movies were to include Ash, it would have to be more of a passing on the torch kind of deal, since he would be a 30 year old man, and a bit more darker.  In some ways, his story would be more complete when compared to the anime.  You forget, they also throw in elements from the video games, making the PCU an uniquely blended universe.  Who knows, fans might actually get that Ash vs Red that a lot of people might be hoping for.

Felidae_

I saw the movie during my latest trip to Tokyo, thankfully in the English OT with Japanese subtitles ^^.

To be honest I went with zero expectations, as I'm not really a die hard fan of the franchise (last game I played was Silver on my old Gameboy Pocket) and the first trailers weren't able to get more than a mild chuckle out of me.

Thankfully, I was positively surprised by the movie. The world they created was very unique and fitted the style perfectly, as it allowed for the protagonist (as subsequently the audience) to experience every piece bit by bit. The main problem I always had with the original Anime was that Ash acted like such an idiot in every episode. Having played the Blue edition, not only did none of the trainers or locations pose any real surprise, they even served as a reminder how much better my own journey through Kanto had been.

In Detective Pikachu I was able to come along a ride to an unknown world and that was simply amazing. Sure, if I had watched it with my grumpy old mind I'm sure that there are so many logic holes that anyone not familiar with the franchise would be turned off by the whole world they created, but sometimes you have to let go and just enjoy the ride and for me the movie definitely delivered on that aspect.

Ryan Reynolds did a tremendous job and mad props to Justice Smith, proving that despite not being related to Will Smith he's got more acting talent than any of Smith's offspring.

Fun fact: One of the best parts of the movie was the scene were Reynolds sings the English Theme song. Not for the scene itself, but for the confusion within the Japanese audience in the theatre. If you haven't heard the original Japanese theme I highly recommend you to check it out, but rest assured that it sounds nothing like the one we grew up with. Hence you had one part of the cinema enjoying this honestly quite random song performance, while the majority of attendees was just confused.

One minor flaw I had was the ending, as it somehow renders a direct sequel pretty much impossible.

All in all I'm happy to spend my money on a ticket. Will I buy the Blu-ray? Definitely not, but once it's one Netflix I wouldn't mind giving it another spin.

kodking

i am not saying it is timeline linked to the anime, i am saying that they gave off clues to show it is am alternate universe. sorry if i spoil anything (this does not really give any spoilers) i swear i saw a billboard saying champion and guess who was on that bill board. i was far in the back of a scene, then their is jiggly puff and then there is the bit where it say that mew escapes from the kanto region, i know it could have escaped differently but i bet ash would have been involved in freeing mew two. i am not saying it if later in the future from the anime, i am saying it is an alternate universe or something like that. watch the new series of ultra legends and you will get where i am going.

GrewupGeek
Posted (edited)

Or it could be a different story altogether, considering the fact that in the anime, Mewtwo stayed hidden, to where nobody in the world seemed to know anything about him.  The only people in the anime that seems to know about him is Ash, Misty and Brock after they meet Mewtwo in the 'Mewtwo Returns' movie.  In Detective Pikachu, The references to Mewtwo and Kanto could just lead to something else, especially if the sequel ends up revealing if anybody from the first had any kind of connections to Team Rocket in some way.

Besides, there are interviews with the director saying that they wanted to make a movie without Ash.  He also said Detective Pikachu opened the door to Ash possibly showing up in a future movie, but there is just no guarantee it would actually happen.

Edited by GrewupGeek

kodking
5 hours ago, GrewupGeek said:

Besides, there are interviews with the director saying that they wanted to make a movie without Ash.  He also said Detective Pikachu opened the door to Ash possibly showing up in a future movie, but there is just no guarantee it would actually happen.

ah ha, they wanted to make a movie without ash, that does not mean he does not exist, plus this new universe could lead the way to making an ash that has always been dreamed of, an ash that becomes a champion by winning a league, and what better region would that be than kanto itself. and i am stating that with the new Pokemon movie coming out as a remake of the old first ever movie "mewtwo strikes back"

while it is still anime based it could fill the gap as to what happened to mewtwo before detective pikachu, i personally would love to see some kind of ash and pikachu appear in the movie, as they have mad it clear detective pikachu is not in the same timeline or dimension as anime ash then they can make detective pikachu ash a kanto champion, since anime ash will never win a Pokemon league in the series. plus i would like to see a detective pikachu verse ashes pikachu stand off. to very similar yet so different Pokemon, one a detective the other a battler

GrewupGeek

Except that there are two Pokemon universes that involve Ash and Pikachu:  The anime and the 'I Choose You' movie series.  With one of the future movies called Pokemon Red and Blue, which is based off the video games, what point would there be to bring in Ash since they'll probably be doing live versions of Red, Blue, and maybe Green?

Along with the fact that Detective Pikachu is based off of a video game that gave Ash's Pikachu a brief cameo, chances are, the PCU could be a big mixture of different elements.  Where they take a little bit from both the games and the anime, along with the manga, and blend them with some original material.

kodking

well i still like to point out that i saw an electrical billboard with someone alot like ash and a pikachu on it. i believe ash exists in this world and may be the kanto champion

GrewupGeek
Posted (edited)

Maybe, maybe not.  If Ash is in the PCU, than his story would probably be a bit darker.  Although the stuff they threw in involving the anime, it could be more of a tribute to the anime and the first movie, than an Easter egg.  Who knows, when the Detective Pikachu sequel hits theaters, they might help to fill in a few gaps.  One of them exploring Mewtwo's backstory a bit more, that would probably be finished in the Red and Blue movie.

Although then again, since Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution comes out this year, Detective Pikachu could be hinting towards that.  Along with the fact that 2019 is the 20th anniversary of when Pokemon the First Movie made it's US debut.

Edited by GrewupGeek

kodking

yeah i watched a few vid @GrewupGeek they announced that the old movie "mewtwo strikes back" is in fact how mewtwo escaped from kanto, i watch several vids to confirm this. and the remake of the movie is basicly reminding us of this movie, it will most likely be a bit different from old one, but overall this confirms ash is existent in this universe, now since this is true that mean detective pikachu is in the same cannon and the anime. Or until now with detective pikachu mewtwo strikes back could never have actually been cannon to the anime. another hint to this fact of the movie being separate from the anime is in the genisect movie mewtwo sound female. so possibly hinting that mewtwo stikes back Mewtwo and black and white genisect movie mewtwo are separate entities in different universes. this is confusi ng but i basicly give enough evidence to support my theory

GrewupGeek

Actually better off waiting and seeing, because there are so many possibilities on what could grow from this movie.  Anything coming to mind is just speculation until the trailer for the next movie starts to make itself known.  While there is a Red and Blue movie in the works, whose to say that there won't be a Mewtwo origins movie that occurs between the two movies?  Or that all of the Easter Eggs are really what they appear to be?