AlexGoneCrazy

Ban these cards next

AlexGoneCrazy

Since certain non game breaking cards get banned why not ones that do break the game such as Float Stone or Switch? That would be great. I hate Lisandre'ing someone just for them to switch with a switch or float back with a float stone. I spent good hard earned supporter card for that itd only be fair if they had to use a supporter card to switch it back not some item card. pfft. the nerve of those people. It's like i used real money to do something and then they turn around and use, dare i say, MONOPOLY MONEY to undo my doing!? This has been fun conversing with you all have a nice day.

?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 16

Sniperi96
Posted (edited)

1. Lysandre is meant mostly for getting damge done to the switched pokemon and usually knock it out,  the fact that opponent may or may not struggle to get it back on bench is just side effect.

2.PTCGO only bans cards should game breaking bugs occur. In actual tcg cards are banned usually only from expanded due to them causing interactions that would be utterly broken for the game health. Switch cards are never getting that treatment.

edit:Well this is interesting situation. People didn't like this thread as they downvoted it, but they didn't like my answer to it either so they decided to downvote it too?

Edited by Sniperi96
  • Upvote 12
  • Downvote 5

Kostyurik
On 5/3/2019 at 1:52 PM, Sniperi96 said:

People didn't like this thread as they downvoted it

That's quite usual here, I suppose. Not the friendliest community. My first created topic was about cards I thought should be banned - and I still haven't get out of negative reputation

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Yelf59
Posted (edited)

Agree. People prefer to downvote here rather than discuss.

Don't care about popularity. It's only important for those who can't discuss calmly :)

Edited by Yelf59
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

SandaledOtter

We're largely quite friendly. Saying that Float Stone and Switch break the game, however, is not something worth discussing.

Additionally, this is the forum for the online game, and as mentioned, only actual bugs can get a card temporarily banned here. ACTUAL bans are issued at a higher level, and the people who make those decisions are not addressable through this forum.

Note the near inversion of upvotes/downvotes in the top two posts. That was 11 people who were sick of posts proposing bans of 6-year-old staples and some others who don't know how to play the game yet.

Also, this post was over a month old when you (@Kostyurik) posted to it, and the forum strongly discourages posting to something more than two weeks old. It's in the rules, which were posted and pinned to the News forum just this past Thursday. That's not a good way to repair your reputation.

Downvotes are costly to the person using them. There are very few allowed (Is it just 1 per day? I don't recall), so most people aren't going to downvote something unless it's really bad. You don't have many downvotes, if you go back and count them.

• Upvote 2

Otakutron

Something I've noticed is that "message board netiquette" isn't as well known as it used to be.

For those lamenting their lower Reputation scores, and I say this as someone who's own score has been built up in spite of some really stupid moments on my part, consider some introspection.  Ask "Wait... are they being unfriendly, or was I being confusing, demanding, or impolite?"  @SandaledOtter explained some of the issues with this particular thread.  As someone who has himself made some really bad posts, if you think you can trust me, PM me and I'll explain why some of your posts come across so poorly when I read them.

Oh, and remember; folks can "take back" their reactions.  I can make a good post and then do something that undermines it so badly, folks take the time to remove their Like or Upvote.  However, folks can also remove their Downvote if you later clarify what it is you meant, apologize for questionable behavior, etc.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Yelf59
Posted (edited)

As far as I'm concerned, I see no problem with Float Stone or Switch.

On the contrary, it's often the only way to avoid an escouade.

But, even if I disagree, that's not a reason to be unfriendly with him, according to me.

And the unfriendliness against anyone who answers him friendly shows how friendly the community is.

Happily, there still are people here who don't care about the reputation score and continue discussing calmly.

Edited by Yelf59
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

SandaledOtter
6 hours ago, Yelf59 said:

As far as I'm concerned, I see no problem with Float Stone or Switch.

On the contrary, it's often the only way to avoid an escouade.

But, even if I disagree, that's not a reason to be unfriendly with him, according to me.

And the unfriendliness against anyone who answers him friendly shows how friendly the community is.

Happily, there still are people here who don't care about the reputation score and continue discussing calmly.

We don't know who those downvotes were from. We do know the first reply, the only reply that fell withing the "active post" window prior to this necromancy, was reasonable.

Eleven people is not "the community." Bringing this post back is only further damaging the OP's record, as that number is climbing as NEW people, who are not regulars here and thus not "the community," see it for the first time and react to it.

Inactive posts should fall off the first page, and you should only ever go to the second page if you're looking for something specific.

Then again, whoever's running the forum should set it to auto-lock inactive threads, so that they don't need a rule against replying to old topics.

• Upvote 1

Otakutron
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Yelf59 said:

It isn't "unfriendly" to point out to someone when they've erred, or at least when you believe they have erred.  Yes, some comments will be less than polite, but sometimes even that is justified.

I brought up netiquette earlier, so let's give an example:

Before you post a topic, while not required, it is best to take a few minutes to

• Do a quick visual search for similar topics from the first few pages (or last six months, whichever is "longer") of threads
  • Do a search using the Search function of the forum in question for similar topics

That lets you know if you're bringing up something that has been thoroughly discussed before, get an idea of what others think, and other useful nuggets of knowledge that will make you a better poster.  Which means, if the topic is worth bringing up again, you can make your thread that much better. :)

Edited by Otakutron
"think" not "thing"
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

AlexGoneCrazy
Posted (edited)

LOL I cant believe how much this hyperbolic post stirred up so much drama and people feeling the need to go through my profile and spam all my posts in the negative. I mean even posts that just say "thanks" got down-voted. obviously there's some animosity in this community and it's pretty sad honestly and not for me but on how some people act.

Yes this post was sarcastic I talked about "monopoly money" and "hard earned supporter cards" as if i did slave labor and was paid in supporter cards. Really people? can you not read between the very obvious lines.

But seeing how badly this community reacts to anything so minor I honestly dont care about it as in this community, because the toxic levels are through the roof, but nowhere as bad as other games but for this being a family friendly game its a bit ridiculous. Maybe take some lessons from better communities like Planet Coaster's forums as the majority of posts there are positive and never condescending or rude.

I will stick to playing this game and respecting the mods and game developers because for the most part they do a great job. They listen to their community and let people feel included but the rest of you act like dictators and dictate this forum and create a very bad atmosphere. Have a wonderful day. 🙄

PS. I can't believe there's a middle tall finger  emoji in the usable emoji system on this board. 😨

Edited by AlexGoneCrazy
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

Otakutron

@AlexGoneCrazy

How much of what you just said is true and how much of it is hyperbole?  Did you mean "hyperbolic" instead of "sarcastic" when describing your original post?

If someone did go and downvote all of your old posts, that was immature of them.  Getting back to netiquette, yeah they weren't following it.  I've seen friendlier boards... but they didn't have a Like/Dislike system.  Most of the best boards I've been on are friendly... but when you post something rude or stupid, you're going to attract negative attention.  Even if you meant well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Sakura150612
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AlexGoneCrazy said:

LOL I cant believe how much this sarcastic post stirred up so much drama and people feeling the need to go through my profile and spam all my posts in the negative. I mean even posts that just say "thanks" got a down-votes. obviously there's some animosity in this community and it's pretty sad honestly and not for me but on how some people act.

Yes this post was sarcastic I talked about "monopoly money" and "hard earned supporter cards" as if i did slave labor and was paid in supporter cards. Really people? can you not read between the very obvious lines.

But seeing how badly this community reacts to anything so minor I honestly dont care about it as in this community, because the toxic levels are through the roof, but nowhere as bad as other games but for this being a family friendly game its a bit ridiculous. Maybe take some lessons from better communities like Planet Coaster's forums as the majority of posts there are positive and never condescending or rude.

I will stick to playing this game and respecting the mods and game developers because for the most part they do a great job. They listen to their community and let people feel included but the rest of you act like dictators and dictate this forum and create a very bad atmosphere. Have a wonderful day. 🙄

PS. I can't believe there's a middle tall finger  emoji in the usable emoji system on this board. 😨

Just to be clear, the downvote spamming could have been done by a single person. I know that the saying goes something like "one bad apple spoils the barrel", but I think we should be reasonable and not conclude that the toxicity (of the community as a whole) is through the roof because of what only a handful of people (and possibly even just a single person) did.

Also, it seems like no one gave you the memo. It says that "sarcasm does not travel across the internet very well"; that's simply online community knowledge 101. You should have known that things were going to end this way, so your surprise surprises me. If you had a point to make, it's much more logical to present it up-front than trying to sneak it in as "sarcasm", so you can't really blame the others for not understanding you.

Lastly, calling the people who disagree with you "dictators" (even if they're not exactly nice about their disagreement) just completely drains your remaining credibility. That's something a person would say if they'd run out of actual things of value that they could add.

Edited by Sakura150612
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

AlexGoneCrazy
3 minutes ago, Sakura150612 said:

Also, it seems like no one gave you the memo. It says that "sarcasm does not travel across the internet very well"; that's simply online community knowledge 101. You should have known that things were going to end this way, so your surprise surprises me. If you had a point to make, it's much more logical to present it up-front than trying to sneak it in as "sarcasm", so you can't really blame the others for not understanding you.

It's funny that you respond just like I'd assume you would. You are one of the most condescending people on this board honestly. Not only are you one of the most condescending people on this board the toxicity that comes out of your little fingers are THROUGH THE ROOF! And every time you bud in and critique everything I have to say, you go and down-vote my comments. I know you are one of them because as soon as you respond not a second later the notification comes up saying "someone has reacted to one of your posts" and its a down-vote. In fact I've come across that specifically with you several times.

Just to be clear, the downvote spamming could have been done by a single person. I know that the saying goes something like "one bad apple spoils the barrel", but I think we should be reasonable and not conclude that the toxicity (of the community as a whole) is through the roof because of what only a handle of people (and possibly even just a single person) did.

So is this a confession? does this mean you are this single person that you speak of?

Lastly, calling the people who disagree with you "dictators" (even if they're not exactly nice about their disagreement) just completely drains your remaining credibility. That's something a person would say if they'd run out of actual things of value that they could add.

Again with the rude retorts as usual. Do you ever get tired of being unhappy? I mean that's what I gather with how often you respond to certain users on the forum. Only an unhappy person would keep coming for people. If you don't have anything nice or of value to say then keep it to yourself. the community is toxic plain and simple and if you don't see it then maybe you're part of the problem. And saying the community is toxic doesn't mean each and everyone as there is like a few nice people for instance Robratt who, if he disagrees, is and has always been polite with his responses. The community can really take a note or two from him.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

AlexGoneCrazy
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Otakutron said:

@AlexGoneCrazy

How much of what you just said is true and how much of it is hyperbole?  Did you mean "hyperbolic" instead of "sarcastic" when describing your original post?

If someone did go and downvote all of your old posts, that was immature of them.  Getting back to netiquette, yeah they weren't following it.  I've seen friendlier boards... but they didn't have a Like/Dislike system.  Most of the best boards I've been on are friendly... but when you post something rude or stupid, you're going to attract negative attention.  Even if you meant well.

Yeah hyperbolic. Always confuse sarcasm and hyperbole and I probably will another 1000 times before getting it right honestly.    *there I fixed it*      ^^^

Saying something is stupid is being rude in itself.

How much of it is true? How do you mean? Like from my OP? Mostly none of it as I was just joking around. I'm sure the mods caught on as soon as I mentioned monopoly money. Yes it irks me when someone has a switch but I usually have a vs seeker in hand and can re-lysandre them again if need be. 

The only people who tend to get emotionally distressed..... I mean who have an immature response from playful posts don't have a sense of humor which is fine, but that doesn't mean to talk down to people with their responses or spam dislikes just to make them feel unwanted or whatever their ill intention is. I mean what really is the point? Lets keep in mind we don't know who here is an actual adult or a child and if any of these people suffer from ********** or a broken home and this place is an escape for them.

Pokemon as a game has done so much for the community (aside from this board) as it has brought so many people together in a positive way. I remember when Pokemon Go released and everyone in public gathered at parks and hot spots in the city and were friendly no matter what. They helped each other and even joked around with strangers. That's what I expected with these boards honestly but /whoosh did this thread go over way too many heads.

edit*

Apparently

de x pres x sion (minus the x's)

is a curse word. Which is the censored word above.

They don't censor stupid but they censor an illness LOL wow.

Edited by AlexGoneCrazy
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Sakura150612
6 hours ago, AlexGoneCrazy said:

So is this a confession? does this mean you are this single person that you speak of?

Not at all. I just dislike what I disagree with. It's what the feature is meant for anyway. I'm not the one who went around downvoting every single post including simple "thanks" replies, if that's what you're thinking.

7 hours ago, AlexGoneCrazy said:

there is like a few nice people for instance Robratt who, if he disagrees, is and has always been polite with his responses. The community can really take a note or two from him.

Rob is an important part of this community and I fully appreciate his contributions to it (and I also personally owe him for helping me out after returning from a 2 year break).

But keep in mind that he is his own person, and so am I, and so is everyone else. We all have different ways of doing what we do. I don't mince my words, because I believe that's the most effective way of having a productive discussion. And I don't think that being polite and being harsh are mutually exclusive; you can lay out your disagreements in a way that's both perfectly sincere and respectful.

You're free to believe my way of doing things is "toxic", but I will have to disagree with that. I'll continue helping this community in my own way and I have no regrets about it.

• Upvote 1

SKBellmore
7 hours ago, AlexGoneCrazy said:

It's funny that you respond just like I'd assume you would. You are one of the most condescending people on this board honestly. Not only are you one of the most condescending people on this board the toxicity that comes out of your little fingers are THROUGH THE ROOF! And every time you bud in and critique everything I have to say, you go and down-vote my comments. I know you are one of them because as soon as you respond not a second later the notification comes up saying "someone has reacted to one of your posts" and its a down-vote. In fact I've come across that specifically with you several times.

Woah... Woah... if anything is through then roof, this is. Sakura is probably one of the friendliest and nicest of member here, if not the most. You really need to think about what your saying. 

• Upvote 1

Sakura150612
9 minutes ago, SKBellmore said:

Woah... Woah... if anything is through then roof, this is. Sakura is probably one of the friendliest and nicest of member here, if not the most. You really need to think about what your saying. 

Hey, thanks man :) I'm always happy to help with what I can, but it's nice being appreciated too xd

I'm actually kind of sad that I haven't been able to do much of anything around here since I returned to college in March, but I'll probably go back to playing some PTCG again in my vacations. In the meantime, I'll keep dropping down by the forums every now and then.

• Upvote 1

SandaledOtter
9 hours ago, AlexGoneCrazy said:

Again with the rude retorts as usual. Do you ever get tired of being unhappy? I mean that's what I gather with how often you respond to certain users on the forum. Only an unhappy person would keep coming for people. If you don't have anything nice or of value to say then keep it to yourself. the community is toxic plain and simple and if you don't see it then maybe you're part of the problem. And saying the community is toxic doesn't mean each and everyone as there is like a few nice people for instance Robratt who, if he disagrees, is and has always been polite with his responses. The community can really take a note or two from him.

I noticed your reputation has improved this morning. Then I saw this, and was amazed it hadn't gotten worse.

• Upvote 2

WingsofFire1014
Posted (edited)

Okay so not too long ago I was trading with KodKing in a topic called Who Got Lucky. I was trading with him, and after we had settled on a decision for what was going to happen, we had finished for then. Then I started getting floods of downvotes on th at thread. I believe people were downvoting me because I was making a bad trade which I pointed out to KodKing. He's ended up realizing how expensive of a card it was, but he was still willing to trade them to me. There is plenty of grace on these forums. And there is plenty of spamming downvotes on people because they probably dislike their character etc.

Your reputation doesn't matter. What matters is how big of a help you are and people like Sakura, Felidae_, RobRatt, Chasista, and much much more are great at this. We need to be thankful for the help that we get for everybody, not worried about what OTHER PEOPLE THINK ABOUT US.

This "drama" has gone on long enough. Now, we should all only post on this thread if we want to talk about what cards we think should be banned. But, keep it nice and polite and don't hate on others.

Edited by WingsofFire1014
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Otakutron
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, AlexGoneCrazy said:

How much of it is true? How do you mean? Like from my OP? Mostly none of it as I was just joking around. I'm sure the mods caught on as soon as I mentioned monopoly money.

How is that "joking around?"

You're allowed one Supporter usage during your turn, but there is no similar limit on Item cards; thus the value of using a Supporter is much greater than that of an Item, all things being equal.  Calling it real money versus Monopoly money is hyperbolic, but the base concept is sound.  The real discussion would be about whether the effects were indeed of equal value; if they are, then the comparison stands, but if not, then it doesn't.  Hyperbole doesn't mean a person is joking; it is "exaggeration for emphasis".  It might be a joke, or it might just be to underscore something.

However, that was not the comment about which I was asking.  I was asking if it was true that you had been as badly downvoted as you claimed.  Which I was fairly certain wasn't true, unless you'd received a massive upvote between my posts; your Reputation had gone down again, but at worst it meant one person went and downvoted all your past votes.  I was giving you the chance to point out "Oh, I was exaggerating again.  Guess that gets confusing when you have to 'translate' everything I'm saying."

Going back to your opening comment: How was your joke supposed to work?  Why was it supposed to be funny?  Were you making fun of other new users, who go off half-cocked and post something that ends up making them look bad? Eh, seems a bit mean.  Same for if you were trying to bait out others into lecturing you about something when you weren't serious.  Sometimes such things can be funny, but most of the time they're just annoying.  Especially when you remember where you are.

Which might be where you're struggling.  This is the official message board for the PTCGO.  Not a chat for just you and your friends.  Think of it like real-world parties.  At some parties, if you're not running around, yelling and laughing your head off, something must be wrong.  At others, you're still having fun but you're talking and not yelling, chuckling but not guffawing.  As we all know, I am not a moderator here.  I am not trying to mini-Mod.  I am explaining why some very good posters - and it ain't like I get along with all the folks you mentioned, either - are telling you that you're not being funny and insisting they aren't being mean.

Edited by Otakutron
Weird censoring @_@ Definitely a lowkey party here. ;)
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

RobRatt
Posted (edited)

I think all of my opponents should have to play with their cards face up.  Anyone else tired of them stinking up your game by playing something you didn't expect?

^^  Very bad humor.  It fits the thread, so feel free to gimme some heat, and take your foot off this guy's neck.

Edited by RobRatt
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Otakutron
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, RobRatt said:

^^  Very bad humor.  It fits the thread, so feel free to gimme some heat, and take your foot off this guy's neck.

We've been trying to cut him some slack; he just won't let us. XD

We were walking along, minding our own business, when some guy jumped out of the bushes, screamed "Boo!" at us, thinking it was quite funny. O_o  When we didn't laugh and glared at him, he moved along.  Then some other passersby started lecturing us about how mean we are in this town, and so the original guy comes back and throws himself under our foot while calling us tyrants. ¬_¬

...just because of the route this thread has taken, I'll be clear I'm attempting to be metaphorical.  No one has used the word "tyrant", and obviously @AlexGoneCrazy did not simply jump out and yell "Boo!". XP  Also... most of us have said our peace and would move on but others keep commenting, which in turn, keeps us coming back and continuing the discussion. XD

Edited by Otakutron
Added final sentence, fixed a few typos/flow issues
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

NoWireHangerz
On 6/12/2019 at 7:40 AM, Otakutron said:

How is that "joking around?"

You're allowed one Supporter usage during your turn, but there is no similar limit on Item cards; thus the value of using a Supporter is much greater than that of an Item, all things being equal.  Calling it real money versus Monopoly money is hyperbolic, but the base concept is sound.  The real discussion would be about whether the effects were indeed of equal value; if they are, then the comparison stands, but if not, then it doesn't.  Hyperbole doesn't mean a person is joking; it is "exaggeration for emphasis".  It might be a joke, or it might just be to underscore something.

However, that was not the comment about which I was asking.  I was asking if it was true that you had been as badly downvoted as you claimed.  Which I was fairly certain wasn't true, unless you'd received a massive upvote between my posts; your Reputation had gone down again, but at worst it meant one person went and downvoted all your past votes.  I was giving you the chance to point out "Oh, I was exaggerating again.  Guess that gets confusing when you have to 'translate' everything I'm saying."

Going back to your opening comment: How was your joke supposed to work?  Why was it supposed to be funny?  Were you making fun of other new users, who go off half-cocked and post something that ends up making them look bad? Eh, seems a bit mean.  Same for if you were trying to bait out others into lecturing you about something when you weren't serious.  Sometimes such things can be funny, but most of the time they're just annoying.  Especially when you remember where you are.

Which might be where you're struggling.  This is the official message board for the PTCGO.  Not a chat for just you and your friends.  Think of it like real-world parties.  At some parties, if you're not running around, yelling and laughing your head off, something must be wrong.  At others, you're still having fun but you're talking and not yelling, chuckling but not guffawing.  As we all know, I am not a moderator here.  I am not trying to mini-Mod.  I am explaining why some very good posters - and it ain't like I get along with all the folks you mentioned, either - are telling you that you're not being funny and insisting they aren't being mean.

Well with anyone who has a sense of humor would clearly see it as "joking around" but if you're one of those people who dont know how to have fun at a party then maybe of course it would go over your head. I laughed the first time I read it when there was only one response and it sucks how people cant just stop making ten page responses to a joke and saying how unfunny it is. Most of you sound like you'd be hecklers at a comedy club because the joke isn't to your taste so maybe get your knickers out your crack and just move on. You all proved his point that this community is toxic with how badly you went after him and it just goes to show how blinded you are to what toxicity really is. It does not matter if you think majority rules because frankly it doesn't. It does not make your opinion a fact it just makes it a popular opinion among the sixteen of you who practically live on this board. That's sixteen people out of seven+ billion people in this world.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

DonZaloog95
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, NoWireHangerz said:

Well with anyone who has a sense of humor would clearly see it as "joking around" but if you're one of those people who dont know how to have fun at a party then maybe of course it would go over your head. I laughed the first time I read it when there was only one response and it sucks how people cant just stop making ten page responses to a joke and saying how unfunny it is. Most of you sound like you'd be hecklers at a comedy club because the joke isn't to your taste so maybe get your knickers out your crack and just move on. You all proved his point that this community is toxic with how badly you went after him and it just goes to show how blinded you are to what toxicity really is. It does not matter if you think majority rules because frankly it doesn't. It does not make your opinion a fact it just makes it a popular opinion among the sixteen of you who practically live on this board. That's sixteen people out of seven+ billion people in this world.

The problem with joke was the place it was presented in. People are usually being quite serious in game feedback and if someone then suddenly comes up with a joke, it's fairly easy to think the person is meaning what he is saying and being serious, were there signs of it being joke or not. We cannot hear in which tone it is presented and we don't really know who is presenting it.

But another problem is that many of the topics that may as well be seen as jokes have turned out to be serious posts. Someone may suggest we should get rid of gxs, someone not understanding some ruling correctly and so on. While I think many of the threads like this may give us laughs from time to time, they are being serious answers and after all, we have all been beginners at some point. Now, if person comes up with joke, that is making fun of those who do not fully understand something in the game on a forum, that already has hundreds of these threads, in which the poster is being serious about their subject, what is the logical reaction?

Some don't think the person is joking and just see the thread useless, others don't maybe accept the thought of making fun of new players, some may even agree with switch cards being overpowered and are disappointed when the poster announces it was all joke. it would all have been forgotten but unfortunately the thread took different turn after it was being brought back to daylight. Now the discussion was more or less on why and who had downvoted the thread, the OP claiming community is toxic and should have understood the joke and others pointing out why joke did not work. 

I don't agree with you claiming that the ones answering to this thread don't have sense of humor. Telling joke in text form, on forum that is directed mostly on serious questions, suggestions asks of help and so on is just really hard. Also, telling a joke that may make fun of certain portion of people on forum isn't necessarily advicable. The jokes can unite but just as well they can diverse. It's easy to create joke of devs, because the setting is we:players and them:devs as it doesn't cause diversion of players(at least noticable). On the other hand, joke with setting we:experienced players, them:inexperienced players doesn't make sense for inexperienced players, experienced players who think the joke is making fun of inexperienced players aren't necessarily finding it funny either and those who are used to answering threads that are created by new players and share resemblance with the joke thread may just well assume that the OP is one of these new players and act accordingly or see the thread as waste of time.

And while the OP announced later that it was joke, I think where the things really got bad was when OP in the same post failed to adress why people may not find the joke funny and instead claimed they are toxic and just don't have sense of humor. No, that wasn't the case. Setting(we and them) and context (forums that have tons of serious threads like this) were the reasons I think people had reacted the way they did before that post and failure, intead of saying "you should have understood the joke", to say "I understand that not everyone may find the joke funny" was the biggest reason I think the things got into this point. It's not necessity to agree with another person, you have all rights to have your own opinions and believe they are important,  but it is important to see where they are coming from with their arguments and respect it. Attacking persons with "you have no sense of humor" doesn't change others' opinions nor  does it solve the problem, it only makes it worse. Disagreeing is never itself toxic, the toxicity comes from the way you decide to present your opinion or how you react to opinions that are against your own. 

No, I don't think the community as a whole is toxic. It is most probable that there are few members who like to spam downvotes, as Sakura said. If you want to talk more about the subject, there is hijacked thread having quite fierce debate from downvote system. I think mostly what has been going on in this thread has been arguments about why the original post didn't work for many, nothing toxic itself. Finally, I myself giggled on the original post but recognize the issues I mentioned earlier. 

Hopefully I was able to transfer my thoughts clearly. I also hope I was able to keep this post as neutral as possible.

Edited by DonZaloog95
  • Upvote 2