Chocotopian

Can't Attack Next Turn

Chocotopian

If this has been addressed before, please direct me to the correct topic.

I've noticed a lot of players bypassing the "This Pokémon can't attack during your next turn" element of moves by, on their next turn, retreating/switching and returning the same card to play (e.g. Zeraora GX), and then proceeding to repeat the attack (e.g. Plasma Fists). Would this be considered a bug? I would understand if the wording of the move referenced the card staying active, but all it states is "during your next turn". Given Zeraora GX's ability to retreat for free (assuming it has energy attached), along with Guzmas, Escape Ropes etc., I would consider this bypass to significantly overpower this card.

A card such as Cobalion GX, under its Iron Rule GX attack, states "During your opponent's next turn, their Pokémon can't attack. (This includes Pokémon that come into play on that turn.)" Should we assume that any card without this additional wording is able to bypass the attack block through the whole switching situation?

Sniperi96

It's working as intended. By  switching zeraora to bench the debuff is removed. This on the other hand works other way around as buffs from like of Jolteon-gx's and dawn wing Necrozma-gx's gx's moves affect of nullifying dmg from attacks are removed should the card go bench.

Basically yes. If there isn't that wording effects such as these are nullified on entering bench.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

RobRatt
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Chocotopian said:

If this has been addressed before, please direct me to the correct topic.

This has been addressed dozens of times, but it's one of those rulings that doesn't make logical sense the first time you see it, and often needs repeating.  I think everybody playing the game has asked (at one time or another), "Hey, wait a minute.  Doesn't that say it can't be done?"

The "can't use this attack next turn" works much like other status effects (i.e. Poison or Burn).  It can be ended by benching, leaving play, evolving or devolving.

Edited by RobRatt

Chocotopian
9 minutes ago, RobRatt said:

The "can't use this attack next turn" works much like other status effects (i.e. Poison or Burn).  It can be ended by benching, leaving play, evolving or devolving.

I understand that it does work that way, currently, but in your opinion, should it? I personally think that the affected card should be still under effect assuming it doesn't leave play - so benching retains the effect, but evolving, devolving and returning to hand/deck does not. I would argue that returning to hand and playing straight back onto the bench would still count as being the same Pokémon in play, but there would be no way of proving the same card that was withdrawn was the same one put into play.

And statuses such as Poison and Burn are described in rules as having their effects removed upon benching etc. For me, the "next turn" stuff is either just poor wording, or poor implementation of the effects.

Sniperi96
1 minute ago, Chocotopian said:

I understand that it does work that way, currently, but in your opinion, should it? I personally think that the affected card should be still under effect assuming it doesn't leave play - so benching retains the effect, but evolving, devolving and returning to hand/deck does not. I would argue that returning to hand and playing straight back onto the bench would still count as being the same Pokémon in play, but there would be no way of proving the same card that was withdrawn was the same one put into play.

And statuses such as Poison and Burn are described in rules as having their effects removed upon benching etc. For me, the "next turn" stuff is either just poor wording, or poor implementation of the effects.

TCGO works by the ruless of physical card game. Unless the card game rulings itself are changed drastically, that ruling won't change. I think bench rulings are fine as they are.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

RobRatt
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Chocotopian said:

I understand that it does work that way, currently, but in your opinion, should it?

You know what they say about opinions, "Everybody's got one."  (clean version)

Personally??  I think the wording could be improved.  Making it harder to circumvent the text of an Attack would make the game more challenging (and IMO, more fun).  But just knowing how it realistically works is enough.

This ruling has been in the Pokémon TCG almost from the beginning.  The game was released outside of Japan in January 1999.  Although it was intended for Special Conditions, here's the initial ruling that has been in effect since then:

Q. Does benching ALWAYS 'reset' the Pokémon completely?
A. Benching always reset attack effects. (April 13, 2000 WotC Chat Q43)

Edited by RobRatt