Water deck users - HELP

Cisqoe

Hey guys so clearly i'm using a water deck right now, and I need some help finding cards.

I don't know if it's just me but i'm struggling to find really good general water based cards in the newer sets that work as boosters or on there own. We don't have any prism stadiums (seriously ***), plus only one prism pokemon (which i'd argue is the worst of the bunch). It seems all the other decks got really good prisms, trainers abilities compared to water decks (at least from what i know). 

Is there any love for good water deck cards especially in the newer sets? What am I missing? Also if there's any older cards (valid in expanded) do let me know too :)

tldr: Can any water based users please help me find some good cards that can slip into any deck nicely to excel the deck without actually being an attacking pokemon? 

Examples of what I mean, basically good cards that slip in to excel the deck:

(just ones i can think of off the top of my head right now some new some older)

• Fire Decks - Kaiwe, Blacksmith, Lysandre prism, Heat factory, volcanion steam up / power heater
  • Electric - Thunder mountain, electropower, tapu koko prism/gx abilities
  • Steel - Metal goggles, metal frying pan
  • Fighting - JUST SO MANY buff cards possible I don't know where to begin. 

Reminder: that's a general list please don't elitist roast me because i'm singling out cards.

Current water deck cards i'm using that match the style im looking for:

• Aqua patch (just not something my deck really needs)
  • Rough seas
  • Manaphy EX ability / manaphy regular basic ability
  • Blastoise powerful squall ability

Notice that besides the blastoise (which isn't even like a standalone card i'm talking about) there isn't any new to add, or even anything older I can find?

So please water deck peeps, let me know any cards i'm missing out on or any you think are a good addition coz atm I just feel water decks don't get near the banger cards other decks get.

Edited by Cisqoe

-Manaphy SLG

-Blastoise BCR/PLB

-Quagsire DRM

-Archie’s Ace In The Hole PRC

-Brooklet Hill

-Lana BUS

These are just off the top of my head.

Edited by SKBellmore

1 hour ago, Chasista said:

Mark also 'Show not owned' in Collection and type WATER in the search box. That's it.

BTW Expanded: Dive ball.

That’s a big oof for me.

No, Prism Star Volcanion is probably the best Prism Star. Play with it, it can literally win games all on its own, it's ability is good, and it's spread can make a big difference against beefy Pokemon.

Also add Swampert CES to your list of good water cards, if nothing else for draw and Super Boost in stage two decks like Gardevoir and Decidueye, and the Greninja lines for snipe damage. There's also an Expanded Empoleon (Dignified Fighter) that boosts your basic Pokemon's attack damage by 20 if that's your aim. And good old Abyssal Hand Octillery! Also, Switch Raft is a nice new Water exclusive item.

Anyway I think water's got a decent number of good cards that make it a competitive type. That might change once Aqua Patch rotates out, that's probably the star card for the type (in Standard) imo. For reference here are a few tournament winning decklists for water that I snagged from Limitless.

Standard Quag/Nag/Wishful Baton Regional April 6th, 2019 by Ross Cawthon:

Pokemon - 16
4 Wooper DRM 25
3 Quagsire DRM 26
2 Poipole FLI 55
2 Naganadel LOT 108
1 Ditto Prism Star LOT 154
1 Onix LOT 109
1 Volcanion Prism Star FLI 31
1 Magikarp & Wailord-GX PR-SM 166
1 Oranguru SUM 113

Trainer - 34
4 Cynthia UPR 119
4 Lillie SUM 122
1 Judge BKT 143
1 Sightseer LOT 189
4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
4 Aqua Patch GRI 119
3 Acro Bike PRC 122
3 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
2 Nest Ball SUM 123
1 Counter Catcher CIN 91
4 Wishful Baton BUS 128
1 Escape Board UPR 122
2 Viridian Forest TEU 156

Energy - 10
10 Water Energy

Expanded Archie's Blastoise list, 2nd Place Regional March 16th, 2019 by Azul Garcia Griego:

Pokemon - 14
2 Blastoise BCR 31
1 Magikarp & Wailord-GX PR-SM 166
1 Eevee & Snorlax-GX TEU 120
1 Articuno ROS 17
1 Onix LOT 109
1 Kingdra-GX DRM 18
2 Exeggcute PLF 4
2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
1 Marshadow SLG 45

Trainer - 36
2 Archie's Ace in the Hole PRC 124
1 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
1 Tate & Liza CES 148
1 Guzma BUS 115
1 Fisherman BKT 136
4 VS Seeker PHF 109
4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
4 Battle Compressor PHF 92
4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
4 Order Pad UPR 131
4 Superior Energy Retrieval PLF 103
2 Field Blower GRI 125
1 Professor's Letter BKT 146
1 Computer Search BCR 137
1 Choice Band GRI 121
1 Silent Lab PRC 140

Energy - 10
10 Water Energy

Standard Lapras/Quag/Exp Share list, 65th Place Regional Feb 23rd, 2019 by Kyle Kigar:

Pokemon - 14
3 Lapras-GX SUM 35
3 Wooper DRM 25
2 Quagsire DRM 26
1 Shining Volcanion SLG 27
1 Kyogre CES 46
1 Onix LOT 109
1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
1 Oranguru SUM 113

Trainer - 36
4 Cynthia UPR 119
4 Lillie SUM 122
4 Guzma BUS 115
4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
4 Acro Bike PRC 122
4 Aqua Patch GRI 119
1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
4 Choice Band GRI 121
4 Exp. Share SUM 118
3 Brooklet Hill GRI 120

Energy - 10
10 Water Energy

From the lists you can see that Water doesn't need a huge number of specialized cards to win and decks are focused around flooding the board with energy using Blastoise or Quagsire. But I've seen other successful water decks that focus around healing or blocking with the baby Ninetales or Glaceon-GX or Greninja and snipe decks with Alolan Ninetales-GX and/or Greninja GX/Break as the focus (or that one crazy deck with like 5 stage twos including Greninja-GX as the attacker and one Super Boost as the only energy card). They just haven't made a splash in real life tournaments recently.

Edited by RestlessThought
I remembered Octillery, then a bunch of things got randomly censored out?

6 hours ago, RestlessThought said:

No, Prism Star Volcanion is probably the best Prism Star. Play with it, it can literally win games all on its own, it's ability is good, and it's spread can make a big difference against beefy Pokemon.

While I agree with you about Volcanion’s good things, it’s quite arguably not the best prism star. Here are some ones that are better IMO

-Victini

-Shaymin

-Tapu Koko

-Diancie

-Ditto

If you don’t understand why these are better, feel free to ask.

Sure, tell me why you think those are better.

I've very rarely seen Shaymin or Victini played and they don't have any interesting abilities (and when I've played them in decks they got one shot, sometimes before they could even attack). Koko's good, but no one wants to attack with it. Diancie is another good ability, acting as a double Regirock-EX. Ditto is a great card no doubt for evolution consistency, versatility and teching options (how I love evolving fossils on it) and that could arguably make it best.

But all those other cards are one trick ponies compared to Volcanion. Volcanion is a beast with a great attack and ability. It's a better promo Koko spread (which is also still a great card), it's ability combos with Aqua Patch/Quag/Nag/Guzma to get rid of excess energy cards from hand and annoys your opponent, and it's 160hp is hard even for Tag Team GXes to take out in one shot (minus Pikarom, but that lighting weakness is unique among water types, which is arguably another bonus). It's a great all around card.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, SKBellmore said:

While I agree with you about Volcanion’s good things, it’s quite arguably not the best prism star. Here are some ones that are better IMO

-Victini

-Shaymin

-Tapu Koko

-Diancie

-Ditto

If you don’t understand why these are better, feel free to ask.

If we start arguing which prism card is the best as they all have very different niches, we will be here for quite a long time. It would be same as if we started arguing which one is better guzma or cynthia(this is by no means challenge, please don't).

Most used are definitely ditto and  koko but I wouldn't dare to say those are better than volcanion or other way around for the forementioned reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

E

H@RestlessThought I’m not trying to be mean, but my writing will be aggressive.

2 hours ago, RestlessThought said:

I've very rarely seen Shaymin or Victini played and they don't have any interesting abilities

Just because you don’t see them a lot does not mean they’re not good.

Have you ever seen VikaRay? Shaymin is a total beast. 30 damage for each basic energy on your side of the field, deal.

Victini is awesome in decks that discard lots of energy like Charizard. I’m almost certain this will be used in Baby Blachephalon. Also, mass energy recycling? Heck yeah.

You’re right that they have uninteresting abilities, because they have none at all.

Koko's good, but no one wants to attack with it. 

So what if no-one wants to attack with it? It’s ability is amazing, I’d argue one of the best ability a Pokémon has had in the Team Up meta.

But all those other cards are one trick ponies compared to Volcanion. 

Yeah only 2. Shaymin and Victini can continually attack, and Diancie will boost on bench until it’s KOed. And Tapu Koko and Ditto, their tricks are amazing. Let’s say you play Gardevoir, and you have a Ralts with a fairy energy in active, a Gardevoir GX and Alolan Ninetales GX in hand, a benched Ditto and no Alolan Vulpix. You can evolve that Ditto into Ninetales, and get the Rare Candy you need. Tapu Koko with Thunder Mountain can let PikaRom use Full Blitz T1. Tapu Koko, has won other countless battles.

Volcanion is a beast with a great attack and ability. It's a better promo Koko spread (which is also still a great card), 

Let’s see about that:

The ability is like Repel, which sees no play. Except for this you have to discard a Water Energy, you can only use it once per turn, you can only have one per deck..you can see where I’m going with this.

The attack is not better than Koko’s. why? Because of the energy cost. Koko’s is a DCE, while Volcanion’s is 3 water energy. That’s worse.  

and it's 160hp is hard even for Tag Team GXes to take out in one shot (minus Pikarom, but that lighting weakness is unique among water types, which is arguably another bonus). It's a great all around card.

All TTGXs can 1HKO you with relative ease if they plan right.

It’s not bad, but not great either..

EDIT:Haha I was typing this for an hour so I didn’t see @Sniperi96‘s post. Guess it’s too late now Sniperi. XD

Edited by SKBellmore

In a water deck, Volcanion PS is good, which addresses the OP. Depending on what you want to do, there are some decent builds with Gyarados from Team Up. I also really enjoy Wailord & Magikarp spread. There are some developed lists around. lMK if you can’t find one that satisfies ...

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Misty & Lorelei is quite good, eg. if you used adp's altered creation, you can use another gx attack, like bubble launcher(100+150+30+paralyze), no Vs or (i believe) tag teams can survive

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2019 at 11:01 PM, RestlessThought said:

Prism Star Volcanion is probably the best Prism Star

Nah, like @SKBellmore said

-Victini

-Shaymin

-Tapu Koko

-Diancie

-Ditto

There are multiple better Prism Stars that make beast decks: Lance💠/Ditto💠/Alolan Exeggutor or Vika/Ray/Shaymin💠 or even Koko💠/PikaRom