Trainer Card Discussion! What do you think is the best?

Mod_Turtle

Hey Trainers!

In the current Standard Legal format, which Trainer cards do you think are the best? Please feel free to share your ideas of which Trainer cards are the most powerful and what type of deck benefits most from them.

I hope to hear your feedback and maybe get a few ideas for some new decks!

I’ll say the 3 best supporters I think are the best in order. Any deck can use these.

Cynthia- She is beast. Fresh 6 card hand without discarding anything (besides itself)?!?! Sold.

Guzma-Getting to choose your opponent’s Active Pokémon from their bench and switching your own. This card provides a great way to KO a weak benches Pokémon and bring in a fresh attacker.

Lillie-Another good draw supporter. This can help draw on any turn you have a low hand, especially on your first turn.

This is just what I think though.

Edited by SKBellmore

I agree with SKBellmore Cynthia, Guzma, and Lillie are probably the best overall trainer cards in standard right now. These 3 cards are staples in almost every deck in the current meta.

I feel also that these trainer cards are also really good currently:

-Choice Band

-Counter Catcher

-Acerola

-Professor Elm's Lecture

-Escape Board

These cards also fit in most meta decks currently!  :)

Adding to the previously mentioned(mot in any particular order):

ultra ball and Mysterious treasure

While cost of 2 cards is painful, bringing any pokemon can be gamechanger. Can't list times I have changed bad hand into gold by just searching lele and then lillie/cynthia.

I think mysterious treasure on the other hand is one of the biggest reasons,if not the biggest,why malamar variants are so relevant. While it can do miracles with lele and marshadow, in malamar decks it is usually searching nearly any pokemon in the deck not named jirachi or koko. Also the cost of one card makes it easier to play and can still have synergy for malamar in terms of filling discard pile with psychic energies or giratinas.

Nest ball

Simple bench filling with likes of jirachi,zapdos, inkays, zoroark etc.

Volkner

Be it switch, escape board, escape rope, ultra ball or just even lightning energy, this card searches it for zapdos and pikarom players.

Thundermountain

Only limited by the prsim star rules(thankfully), enabling 0 energy zapdoses, 2 energy pikarom, 1 energy jolteon is just plain powerful.

Edited by Sniperi96
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I doubt that anyone would have argument with the cards that have already been mentioned. I am a fan of evolution Pokemon, so I will add Rare Candy to the list. I also believe that many - if not most - decks also play Rescue Stretcher because of its versatility. The third I will mention is Pokemon Communicator - swapping a Pokemon for a Pokemon turns any Pokemon in hand into the exact Pokemon you need in the moment. Finally, as a Grass Pokemon player, I think that Net Ball is just fantastic.

I think Erika's Hospitality also deserves mention.  She hasn't been played all that much, but she has the ability to be better than Lillie.

It depends on the deck. Gengar Tag Team/Omastar, Erika isn’t too good.

The problem is, Gengar tag team/Omaster isn't good either..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2