Sign in to follow this  
buddyglass

current theme decks for completing Psychic/Fighting/Metal/Fairy/Dark challenges

buddyglass

I'm only level six; so far I've encountered the following types of daily challenges:

* put some number of evolution cards in play

* knock out some number of opponent cards

* do some amount of total damage

...and maybe a few others I'm forgetting.  For challenges that require versus matches, these are very attainable using Grass (Leaf Charge), Fire (Relentless Flame, Blazing Volcano), Water (Torrential Cannon, Imperial Command, Hydro Fury), Lightning (Storm Caller) and Dragon (Mach Strike).

It's somewhat more frustrating for Psychic, Fighting, Metal, Fairy and Dark challenges.  Especially metal.  I had maybe 6 straight losses with Steel Sun where I was done before I could even get Solgaleo evolved and charged.

So...are there any theme decks that are marginally useful for completing these types of challenges?

If not, guess I'll have to build a couple of cheesy custom decks that aren't designed to win, but to do some amount of damage using a specific Pokemon type.

SandaledOtter

There really aren't good theme decks for types beyond the first few. Well, there weren't. Note the dragon and lightning decks are a bit newer.

Oh, and if they aren't already at your level, soon all challenges will require versus or event matches.

That's why the challenges start off with the types they give you decks for.

The challenge types you list are all there are. In their final forms they are "do 1000 damage using type X," "play 10 evolutions of type X," and "get 16 KOs using type X."

As you start getting these more advanced challenges, you usually need to move away from theme decks. Sure, there might be a theme deck with that type in it, but it's usually not going to go very well.

The evolution challenge is the easiest to build for, and getting your pokemon knocked out may be essential to getting 10 evolutions if you don't have 4-4-4 lines in that type. You just build around the fastest-evolving pokemon you have with trainers that boost your draw power, and usually leave the energy out entirely to make more room.

For the damage and KO challenges, you'll need decks that could actually win in most cases. The KO challenge, at level 16+, is the most valuable, as you'll (at that point) be able to trade using the prize.

Edited by SandaledOtter
  • Upvote 3

buddyglass

As you start getting these more advanced challenges, you usually need to move away from theme decks. Sure, there might be a theme deck with that type in it, but it's usually not going to go very well.

The current "most powerful" theme decks seem to work alright: Relentless Flame, Torrential Cannon, Blazing Volcano and Storm Caller. To a lesser extent also Leaf charge and Mach Strike. The rest seem to either be redundant with the ones I just mentioned (Imperial Command, Hydro Fury) or hot garbage (Steel Sun).

For the damage and KO challenges, you'll need decks that could actually win in most cases. The KO challenge, at level 16+, is the most valuable, as you'll (at that point) be able to trade using the prize.

Well, for example, with metal I built a custom deck with two Celesteela as the only Pokemon, a ton of metal energy, four double colorless energy, four wishful batons, four rescue stretchers, four nest balls, and some "utility" trainers (Switch, Lysander, etc.) Then I choose to go 2nd.

This basically guarantees I'll do 160 damage on my first attack, and every round thereafter until I take one prize card. If the 2nd Celesteela isn't charged up by the time the first one is knocked out then I just concede. I'm not going to win any matches, but it virtually guarantees I'll do some damage and knock out at least one Pokemon, and that I'll do so relatively quickly (making it so I can repeat the process in quick succession until the challenge criteria are satisfied).

That works for metal, but (so far) I haven't thought of any similarly gimmicky solution for the other energy types.

Edited by buddyglass

GR0

Best thing to do is just build custom decks yeah. Evolution is very simple (I use 3x 4-4-1 lines with the stage 1 having 90 or less HP, using cards like Evosoda, Level Ball, Super Scoop Up, AZ, Gladion, Team Mates, etcetera. Sometimes I use exceptions, for instance Psychic has Shedinja that doesn't give the opponent prizes when defeated, so I run 4-4 of that instead of a 4-4-1 line of something else). And as for damage, I run powerful Basics (1 exception on a Dark Challenge, where I run Alolan Rattata that deals 20 damage for 0, and Alolan Raticate that deals 60 damage for 0 when it has an Item equipped), as well as tons of Pluspowers, Muscle Bands, Kukui's, etcetera.

Defeating a bunch of Pokemon is a true pain though. You need an actual decent deck to KO something, if you're actually winning many opponents concede before you can even KO 1, EXs and such reduce the amount of KO's you can make in a game (especially Tag Teams are horrible in this), etcetera. I'd recommend just not doing those. They really need to change that quest to be about the amount of prizes you pick up rather than the amount of KO's you make, and count an opponent concede as picking up the rest of your prizes.

Edited by GR0

buddyglass

Just realized I misread how Celesteela works.  Hah.  Guess I got lucky the one time I tried that deck.

Sign in to follow this