Sign in to follow this  
nixxx07

Few questions from a newbie

nixxx07

Hi all!

Sorry for writing my question here, but I couldn't find a better place.

I am starting my journey with Pokemon TCG, but not with the online version, but the real one. During my private duels, I've been thinking about some rules and I am not sure if I get them correctly. So, let's move on:

1. Let's say it's my turn. I decide to play a pokemon with an ability. Can I use this ability instantly or do I have to wait to my next turn?

2. I got a Trumbeak in my deck. His ability is Mountain Pass. It says:

"Once during your turn (before you attack), if this Pokemon is in your hand, you may reveal it. If you do, look at the top card of your opponent's deck and put this Pokemon in the Lost Zone. If that card is a Supporter card, you may put it in the lost zone. If your opponent has no card, you can't use this ability."

Does it mean, that I use its' ability while it's still in my hands and I instantly discard it after using?

3. I also want to know how confusion exactly works. If I'm confused, how do i get rid of it? I've read, that if I decide to attack I have to flip a coin (I know what happens if I get head/tails), but what if I decide to skip turn or to use a non attack ability that specific pokemon has (like draw a card or heal)? Do I also have to flip a coin?

I would appreciate any help and sorry again for posting it in a wrong place.

XK920XK

1. Let's say it's my turn. I decide to play a pokemon with an ability. Can I use this ability instantly or do I have to wait to my next turn?

you can use the ability on your turn as soon as you place it, granted there is no other cards on the feild preventing abilities (ie gabotoxin)

"Once during your turn (before you attack), if this Pokemon is in your hand, you may reveal it. If you do, look at the top card of your opponent's deck and put this Pokemon in the Lost Zone. If that card is a Supporter card, you may put it in the lost zone. If your opponent has no card, you can't use this ability."

Does it mean, that I use its' ability while it's still in my hands and I instantly discard it after using?

yes, just show it to your opponent and you can use the ability. you dont even need to place it down on a bench space, its one of the few cards where you can just show it and use its ability.

3. I also want to know how confusion exactly works. If I'm confused, how do i get rid of it? I've read, that if I decide to attack I have to flip a coin (I know what happens if I get head/tails), but what if I decide to skip turn or to use a non attack ability that specific pokemon has (like draw a card or heal)? Do I also have to flip a coin?

generally speaking you cant get rid of confusion like how you get rid of sleep or burn. you have to either retreat it to bench or play a pokemon or trainer card that removes the confusion. even though you are confused, you can still use abilities on that pokemon as normal, no need to flip coins. 

• Upvote 1

RobRatt

^^  Got ninja'd by a Master.  +1

Edited by RobRatt

SuperStone

Just want to clarify in case there was confusion- after using the ability, trumbeak goes to the lost zone, not the discard pile. :)

nixxx07

Thanks, that was helpful.

Yet another question - Alolan Meowth has attack "Fury Swipes". Its cost seems to be just 1 random energy, but the symbol looks different - it is blurred. 

Is it still, as I think, only 1 random energy or is it something different?

Chasista

Thanks, that was helpful.

Yet another question - Alolan Meowth has attack "Fury Swipes". Its cost seems to be just 1 random energy, but the symbol looks different - it is blurred. 

Is it still, as I think, only 1 random energy or is it something different?

You don't need an energy to use the attack. Same as Alolan Vulpix GUR 21, Alolan Marowak FLI 12 and probably some other. The blurry means no energy required.

• Upvote 2

nixxx07

Few more games, few more questions:

1. Can I do the mulligan anytime I want? Or I only can do it, if I don't have the basic Pokemon?

2. I got Sudowoodo, whose ability is, that your opponent can't have more than 4 pokemons on his bench. So if my opponent has 5, he has to discard one of them. The question is - can I draw a price card for this discarded Pokemon?

Chasista

Few more games, few more questions:

1. Can I do the mulligan anytime I want? Or I only can do it, if I don't have the basic Pokemon?

2. I got Sudowoodo, whose ability is, that your opponent can't have more than 4 pokemons on his bench. So if my opponent has 5, he has to discard one of them. The question is - can I draw a price card for this discarded Pokemon?

1. Only when you have no basic.

In the case of pokémon that could be set as Active for starting (e.g. Stage2 STS 96 Talonflame) you can choose if Mulligan as long as you have no basic.

2. No, you can't get a prize card because the pokémon is not KOed, is just Discarded. Wording means a lot in pokémon.

• Upvote 1

nixxx07

And what if I use my alolan's geodude self destruct? Do my opponent get a prize card for that?

Chasista

And what if I use my alolan's geodude self destruct? Do my opponent get a prize card for that?

Yes, if damage is enough to KO itself, the opponent gets a prize. It's a pokémon loosing all HP = KO = Prize card. Same as e.g. Voltorb ROS 21.

(as long as no tool or stadium or support pokémon increasing the HP of A. Geodude or setting special effects, e.g. Giant cape DRX 114)

Sign in to follow this